Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Mar 2017, 16:55 (Ref:3717309)   #51
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I love Goodwood but the whole pantomime thing is daft. If people want to dress up that's fine- and plenty do - but to make it compulsory at the Revival is absurd. I used to go to the Royal Opera House quite regularly and whilst I dressed smartly I didn't have to - no dress code .

And as somebody who attended race meetings in the late 60s I can report no sightings of faux Marilyn Monroes , Mods or RAF Squadron Leaders - a donkey jacket or Barbour was the norm , with a Park Drive drawing well - and that was just for the girls...
Old 8 Mar 2017, 17:19 (Ref:3717311)   #52
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I love Goodwood but the whole pantomime thing is daft. If people want to dress up that's fine- and plenty do - but to make it compulsory at the Revival is absurd.
It is not compulsory at the Revival! Read my previous post above...... The inner paddocks have a dress code, but you can walk round anywhere else (including all the other paddocks) dressed however you like.
Old 8 Mar 2017, 19:15 (Ref:3717329)   #53
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Sorry to be Mr Pedant but ...if by 'inner paddock ' you mean the part of the paddock which is accessed by a paddock pass then there was certainly a strict code when I last visited with my wife. Despite wearing a smart blazer, silk shirt, cravat and smart trousers she was told by some possibly over zealous official that she couldn't go in as she wasn't wearing a skirt..... Not a wise move on his part - she got in.

If I may quote verbatim from the Goodwood website 'What is the dress code? As with any exclusive club , the MM is intended to be stylish and relaxed - and informal yet smart event with everyone asked to respect the dress code'

Anyway - I am sure I will enjoy it . I don't expect to feature too much in the ..ahem ..house system - I developed an allergy to all that stuff at my very minor public school . So much so that its main symptom was praying for Lindsay Anderson's film 'If ' to have been a documentary ....

Last edited by coppice; 8 Mar 2017 at 19:30.
Old 8 Mar 2017, 19:54 (Ref:3717331)   #54
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
We agree then! The (inner) paddocks at the Revival that require a pass have a clearly defined dress code. That code does not apply to the general public areas, although enthusiastically encouraged by all the PR.

MM publicity also encourages a certain standard of 'dress', but as mentioned by several posters, no one seems to have suffered by choosing to wear their choice, or to suit the conditions!

The house system and games are completely lost on me, not having attended a public school. Again, not compulsory.....
Old 8 Mar 2017, 20:00 (Ref:3717333)   #55
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just go and enjoy it. The racing there rarely disappoints.
Old 8 Mar 2017, 20:36 (Ref:3717342)   #56
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lol, at 90 quid a pop, what planet are you on

This event is for the rich elite, nobody else.
Old 8 Mar 2017, 20:46 (Ref:3717344)   #57
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would appear that plenty of people will go and are willing to pay the price so that's their choice. I doubt they'll be disappointed based on past experience.

Those that don't want to pay the price can just moan about it or simply go to cheaper events and enjoy those. All about personal choice really no matter what our respective planets are.

Didn't realise I was one of the rich elite though. Blimey that's good news.
Old 8 Mar 2017, 21:19 (Ref:3717346)   #58
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post

Woo hoo! I'm the rich elite at last!

Oh, wait, I got a Freebie ticket from FISCRacer. Ah well, back to being a spongeing pleb!
Old 9 Mar 2017, 06:26 (Ref:3717425)   #59
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Jeans are disapproved of are they

Could a race meeting be any more snobbish?

What a farce
Quote:

What a pair of posts! No further comment required.......
Old 9 Mar 2017, 07:03 (Ref:3717429)   #60
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Hope Peter's bikini is bullet proof because some of his "grid neighbors" seem to come from the racing Who's Who! Roberto Ravaglia, Gerhard Berger and their band are gonna play good music !
Seem that the game will be played "Ã* guichet fermé" because the site announces everything is sold.
Old 9 Mar 2017, 07:30 (Ref:3717432)   #61
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Seem that the game will be played "Ã* guichet fermé" because the site announces everything is sold.
Yep, all the rich elite will be there....
Old 9 Mar 2017, 07:48 (Ref:3717434)   #62
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Can't remember if they stream the MM live like they do with the Revival. Hopefully they do.
Old 9 Mar 2017, 08:28 (Ref:3717442)   #63
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hardly inclusive though is it, regardless of your opinion about what is value or not.
Old 9 Mar 2017, 10:30 (Ref:3717470)   #64
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Hardly inclusive though is it, regardless of your opinion about what is value or not.
Very inclusive, as anyone can buy a ticket - up to the licensed limit of the venue. The fact that they always sell out is proof of how popular it is. Exactly the same principle as seeing a top act/band/group at the Albert Hall f'rinstance.
Old 9 Mar 2017, 10:54 (Ref:3717479)   #65
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Can't remember if they stream the MM live like they do with the Revival. Hopefully they do.
Who can confirm that? Hope the inboard cameras are allowed too.
Old 9 Mar 2017, 11:04 (Ref:3717482)   #66
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Just checked on Youtube - looks like it will be shown live by Goodwood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVdoiyZi8xg

The coverage is normally very good.
Old 9 Mar 2017, 11:33 (Ref:3717489)   #67
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Who can confirm that? Hope the inboard cameras are allowed too.
They have done in the past. Does it say anything on the site?
Old 9 Mar 2017, 11:38 (Ref:3717492)   #68
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
They have done in the past. Does it say anything on the site?
Yes it's on Goodwood's site - 'Scheduled for 18 Mar 2017
Live stream will be broadcast over the weekend and repeated overnight.'
Old 9 Mar 2017, 14:13 (Ref:3717519)   #69
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quite fascinating to see how many spectators an event like this can attract. I guess in the first five minutes each spectator knows the racers all the first name. In France its a little bit different… in the first five minutes each racer knows the spectator all first names!
Old 10 Mar 2017, 07:12 (Ref:3717690)   #70
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
It's like that here at most meetings Gerard . At Croft the crowd is often three men and a dog (or un chien peut etre?) ' The dog often sneaks off home early, moaning about the thin grids and crap catering ...
Old 10 Mar 2017, 07:15 (Ref:3717691)   #71
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Having done 14 revivals in 15 years ( missed one when Arthur was born 2005) the last few years I've watched the bits I'm interested in via the stream, it's very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Just checked on Youtube - looks like it will be shown live by Goodwood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVdoiyZi8xg

The coverage is normally very good.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 07:38 (Ref:3717697)   #72
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
It's like that here at most meetings Gerard . At Croft the crowd is often three men and a dog (or un chien peut etre?)
Quite right, un chien peut etre is excellent! Apart from lets say 3 or 4 events in Europe, the average historic meeting doesn't appeal very much. I'm really curious to see what's gonna happen in Magny this year.

As to the MM, hope there are some stickers available with warning like this: "Capris may be closer than they appear in the "Mirror" !
Old 10 Mar 2017, 07:48 (Ref:3717700)   #73
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
David, if you can buy a ticket you are a richer man than most of the race fans I know!

This event is, for me, a type of Royal Ascot race meeting, a Lords Test Match, an exclusive Barbara Streisand gig at a small venue.

And the only people that can warrant spending that sort of money are erm, rich.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 08:42 (Ref:3717709)   #74
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last test day today, no charge for spectators. That's assuming you live within spitting distance as I do. I promise not to pick the daffodils! No official entry list yet?
Old 10 Mar 2017, 08:44 (Ref:3717710)   #75
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That doesn't warrant decrying the event though. Other people enjoy it and enjoy the fact that the likes of me can't afford to go. And if you compare the price per minute of entertainment to a Premier League football match then it's remarkable value.

Something doesn't have to be cheap to be good value. Mind you, things don't have to be expensive to be good either!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk