Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 31 Aug 2017, 00:06 (Ref:3763067)   #26
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
In the piece from RACER, Mark Miles said, if it happens, it will be in October.

Draw your own conclusions; I've given about all I can on the matter.
Old 31 Aug 2017, 00:19 (Ref:3763070)   #27
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
In the piece from RACER, Mark Miles said, if it happens, it will be in October.

Draw your own conclusions; I've given about all I can on the matter.
Have you a link for that piece?
Old 31 Aug 2017, 00:36 (Ref:3763073)   #28
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Here:
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/14...ues-to-develop
Old 31 Aug 2017, 01:36 (Ref:3763080)   #29
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'd say it's looking increasingly unlikely that Sergio Perez is at Force India next season, and I can't see him settling for a ride with Sauber or whoever.
Why is it unlikely Perez will be at Force India next year?
Old 31 Aug 2017, 02:06 (Ref:3763087)   #30
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
After a mild bump near the start of the Belgian GP, on Lap 30, Perez squeezed Ocon into the Endurance Pit wall on the run down to Eau Rouge. This resulted in a broken front wing for Ocon, and a right-rear puncture for Perez, as they entered Eau Rouge/Raidillon. Perez then flaunted the accepted convention of parking up a car in the state his was at the soonest, best location to do so. Instead, he drove it on three tires the remaining almost four miles back to the pits.

This is at least the third incident between the two this season, going back to Baku, and Montreal before that. Force India is in something of an "emergency crackdown mode" with their drivers after this latest mess.
Old 31 Aug 2017, 03:45 (Ref:3763100)   #31
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perez significant backing and Force India's cash strapped state makes it unlikely he would be forced out.

Clearly management need to put tighter guidelines on their drives but I dont see Perez leaving. As you say - where would he go?

Where as Ocon is linked to both Renault and Mercedes, with Force India just a stop on his development pathway
Old 31 Aug 2017, 07:45 (Ref:3763119)   #32
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Thanks.

I still think October is too close to the F1 GP. Then again they love their motorsport in Mexico.
Old 31 Aug 2017, 14:39 (Ref:3763197)   #33
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Late March makes much more sense than October.

I admit that the oval isn't quite ready for IndyCar speeds.
Also, I doubt that IndyCar will use the same layout as F1.
And there's too many grandstands to fill.
So I think that IndyCar would skip either the Foro Sol or the hairpin chicane.
Old 31 Aug 2017, 20:23 (Ref:3763284)   #34
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
D.R.T., Renault would have to have an open seat, as well as be a step up from Force India, for Ocono to look at going there.

Perez may have backing, but I put him on the hook for the Montreal, Hungaroring, AND Spa issues, plus that "optimistic" barge into the Toro Rosso at Monaco. Of the two, Perez has proven to be a significantly greater liability to the team.

BJS, I find the timing a bit tight as well.

NBU38, I also realized that Turns 3-4 of the oval are now effectively decreasing-radius, because of the realignment of the first portion of the front straight.

I honestly don't know that I'd actually be looking forward to IndyCar at Mexico City all that much. It might be interesting the first year, but the layout was totally redone for F1, and it shows. Most corner apexes are more acute (makes the turns slower), and every corner has been reprofiled. Oddly enough, compared to when ChampCar/CART ran there in 2002-07, F1 has actually narrowed the track.

I'd guess IndyCar would forego the Foro Sol stadium section; I just wish they would not put a chicane on the approach to the Peraltada. As it is, the approach to that turn is slower than it was for CC/CART, because the Esses are substantially slower; I'm sure the last real corner in that bunch wouldn't be taken in 5th gear anymore.
Old 1 Sep 2017, 04:01 (Ref:3763345)   #35
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
D.R.T., Renault would have to have an open seat, as well as be a step up from Force India, for Ocono to look at going there.

Perez may have backing, but I put him on the hook for the Montreal, Hungaroring, AND Spa issues, plus that "optimistic" barge into the Toro Rosso at Monaco. Of the two, Perez has proven to be a significantly greater liability to the team.
Ocon has completed FP1 sessions with Renault in 2016 and they may still have an option on him / along with Mercedes.

Renault will be replacing Palmer in 2018 so we should have an opening there.

Unless Force India get a bigger financial backer than Perez - I can't see him going anywhere.
Old 12 Oct 2017, 15:51 (Ref:3773879)   #36
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Schedule should be released today. Unfortunately, it sounds like Mexico will not be added for 2018, but is still a possibility for 2019. Other than that, Portland will replace Watkins Glen. Hopefully that event will be given time to grow, and it can build date equity.

As far as adding venues to the series, how hard would it be to get Watkins Glen back? Would a combo weekend with IMSA for the 6 hours be possible? It would add luster to the weekend that could make a ticket more worthwhile for people 2+ hours away in Buffalo, and 4+ hours away in New York City, Philly, and the like.

And what about adding tracks like Miami and Richmond? They put on good shows, and would be the "type" of oval I'd like back on the calendar. They'd also make for venues that could play host to the championship weekend, even if the season extends later into the fall.

Chris
Old 12 Oct 2017, 20:06 (Ref:3773915)   #37
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here it is from here:
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/14...dycar-calendar

The 2018 Verizon IndyCar Series race schedule, by venue, is as follows:
March 11 – Streets of St. Petersburg
April 7 – Phoenix Raceway
April 15 – Streets of Long Beach
April 22 – Barber Motorsports Park
May 12 – Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course
May 27 – Indianapolis 500
June 2-3 – Raceway at Belle Isle Park
June 9 – Texas Motor Speedway
June 24 – Road America
July 8 – Iowa Speedway
July 15 – Streets of Toronto
July 29 – Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
Aug. 19 – Pocono Raceway
Aug. 25 – Gateway Motorsports Park
Sept. 2 – Portland International Raceway
Sept. 16 – Sonoma Raceway

Glad to see PIR back but hate to see the Glen go.
Old 12 Oct 2017, 21:28 (Ref:3773924)   #38
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Homestead didn't make it, even as the season finale. Also, quite a few following open wheel, myself included, are NOT keen on seeing more high-banked, 1.5-mile ovals on the slate. We'll tolerate Texas, though they need to tweak the aero package just a bit more. The year they had the race on ABC in prime time, they had too little downforce/too much tire degradation; last year, things were just a bit too close together however.

I'm not necessarily high on Richmond, since Iowa is already on the calendar. That was one great thing about the 1.0-milers in CART; they were all quite distinct from one another, whether it was Milwaukee, Nazareth, Phoenix, or New Hampshire.

And yes, damn straight, I want the Glen back, ASAP.

I can appreciate having a well-attended event with an enthusiastic following in Mexico; however, I really have my doubts about how the track will race since the remodel they've done for F1.

I'm a little concerned about Turn 8 at Portland, especially in the wet, as they've moved T7 since ChampCar visited, lengthening the run to T8.
Old 12 Oct 2017, 21:43 (Ref:3773926)   #39
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Here it is from here:

March 11 – Streets of St. Petersburg
April 7 – Phoenix Raceway
April 15 – Streets of Long Beach
May 12 – Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course
May 27 – Indianapolis 500
June 2-3 – Raceway at Belle Isle Park
June 9 – Texas Motor Speedway
June 24 – Road America
July 8 – Iowa Speedway
July 15 – Streets of Toronto
July 29 – Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
Aug. 19 – Pocono Raceway
Aug. 25 – Gateway Motorsports Park
Sept. 2 – Portland International Raceway
Sept. 16 – Sonoma Raceway

Glad to see PIR back but hate to see the Glen go.
There's still that gap of roughly a month between St. Pete and Phoenix.

According to Mark Miles, the possibility of adding an 18th event, at Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez in Mexico City, still exists.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/10/...DYCAR-schedule

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 12 Oct 2017 at 21:56.
Old 13 Oct 2017, 06:44 (Ref:3773942)   #40
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I like seeing Portland back, but not at the expense of the Glen. The tweaks I'd make to my perfect world schedule would replace Detroit with the Michigan oval, go to VIR in between St. Pete and Phoenix, and replace Sonoma with Watkins Glen as the last race.
Old 13 Oct 2017, 07:28 (Ref:3773947)   #41
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So no Watkins Glen. Shame really, it was always a great track for Indaycar. That said, it would be great to see them go to Mexico. They should go to all three major North American countries
Old 13 Oct 2017, 09:47 (Ref:3773965)   #42
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So if everyone loved The Glen so much how come the attendance was poor at such a great track for Indycars?
Old 13 Oct 2017, 10:47 (Ref:3773979)   #43
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
So if everyone loved The Glen so much how come the attendance was poor at such a great track for Indycars?
Both the 2016 and '17 races were held on the Labour Day weekend and that affected the attendance.
Old 13 Oct 2017, 13:12 (Ref:3774010)   #44
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Also, for some, it's not reasonable to travel so far for that event.

It is also a loss for the entire NE with only Pocono for in that region, unless you consider PA Mid-Atlantic, which I do. Seems to be a debate about it throughout the interwebs...
Old 13 Oct 2017, 14:42 (Ref:3774019)   #45
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
It's a reasonably balanced schedule.

Anyway, I'd like more ovals such as Kentucky, Richmond and New Hampshire.
Old 14 Oct 2017, 04:49 (Ref:3774123)   #46
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Here it is from here:

Quote:
The Mitty has been a Road Atlanta institution for more than 30 years, and it will return in April 27-29, 2018.

YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAH!
Old 14 Oct 2017, 05:20 (Ref:3774129)   #47
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
They changed Kentucky since ICS was last there in 2011, so one end is high-banked now. Like a number of people, I'm just not keen to add more 1.5-milers, especially if the corner banking is more than about 15 degrees.
Old 14 Oct 2017, 16:17 (Ref:3774188)   #48
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
IndyCar is looking to replace the vacant World Endurance Championship slot, in early August at Mexico City.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/132383
Old 14 Oct 2017, 17:15 (Ref:3774192)   #49
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I hope they do, would be good to see Indycars racing there
Old 27 Nov 2017, 15:24 (Ref:3783509)   #50
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
It looks like the race in Mexico is dependent on Esteban Gutierrez getting a full time drive, according to former Mexican CART driver Adrian Fernandez.

There are still a couple of vacant seats left.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/133304