Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Jun 2009, 03:22 (Ref:2473778)   #2701
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Cameron car was the VK Grice had debuted at the 86 Adelaide GP updated to VL specs by Roadways, therefore throwing into doubt chassis 4's history. Grice shared it in the January 87 Nissan Mobil 500 with Cameron, both Bathurst annuals confirm this.

Cameron's car defiantely was not the Bathurst winner. This was, and I think still is, owned by Graeme Bailey. It as displayed in the James Hardie building foyer in Sydney in the run up to the 87 race. It was trailered up to Bathurst and at one stage consideration was given to racing it after Percy's McPhillamy crash but this didn't eventuate.

As an aside Graeme Bowkett's VK was sold to Chris Castle and John Billington for the 87 Sandown 500, with Crosby replacing an unavailable Castle at Bathurst.
Old 2 Jun 2009, 04:06 (Ref:2473787)   #2702
rogered
Rookie

rogered should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
The Cameron car was the VK Grice had debuted at the 86 Adelaide GP updated to VL specs by Roadways, therefore throwing into doubt chassis 4's history. Grice shared it in the January 87 Nissan Mobil 500 with Cameron, both Bathurst annuals confirm this.

Cameron's car defiantely was not the Bathurst winner. This was, and I think still is, owned by Graeme Bailey. It as displayed in the James Hardie building foyer in Sydney in the run up to the 87 race. It was trailered up to Bathurst and at one stage consideration was given to racing it after Percy's McPhillamy crash but this didn't eventuate.

As an aside Graeme Bowkett's VK was sold to Chris Castle and John Billington for the 87 Sandown 500, with Crosby replacing an unavailable Castle at Bathurst.
the bowket car still exists and has a happy home

camerons car was disassembled in 93 and lost

the kings cup car was still a vk in 94 and was sold to belgiem as a rallycross car. the trail goes cold from there
Old 2 Jun 2009, 04:09 (Ref:2473789)   #2703
rogered
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz View Post
This list of the Group A's is from memory, I won't get a chance to check with Les as he is moving factory this week...

# 1 VK. Ex Roadways VK "Group C" converted to GpA, used as Yokohama test car, sold to Tony Kavich.

# 2 VK. Graeme Bowkett.

# No Plate. Graeme Hooley, components supplied.

# 3 VK. Roadways. Leased to Cullen (K-Mart) for Bathurst 85. Then went to Europe for the Grice campaign in 1986.

# 4. VK. Cameron (NZ)

# 5. VK. Graeme Bailey. 1986 Bathurst.

# 6. VK. Roadways. Japan 1986 campaign, AGP 1986, Grice. Crosby 1987.

# 7. VL. Roadways. Bob Jane T-Marts, Grice 1987. Became an AUSCAR, destroyed in fatal practice crash (Allan Hurran?)

# 8. VL. Roadways. FAI/Grice 1988. Later to Dailey Planet.

# 9. VL. Rogers 1988. Later to Finnigan.

CCC
a list of there group C cars would be good also
are you able to put one together
Old 2 Jun 2009, 04:48 (Ref:2473793)   #2704
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am amazed that the 1985 Bathurst car became the 1986 European Vacation Commodore! Suitably updated of course.

The #9 number mentioned by Camaroz (thanks for the info too BTW) went to Neil Schembri, as it formed the basis of the BetterGrow VP, built by Mr Finnigan in his tiny Yennora workshop.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 2 Jun 2009, 05:08 (Ref:2473796)   #2705
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
Cameron had a VK in early 1986, he shared it with Grice in the 1986 Nissan-Mobil Series (#16 Sleepyhead sponsored)

The colourscheme of the (seemingly different) car used by both of them in 1987 January Nissan-Mobil Series (#2 Simpson sponsored) fits with it being the 86 AGP/Mt Fuji car, both being plain white.
Old 2 Jun 2009, 05:11 (Ref:2473798)   #2706
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I am amazed that the 1985 Bathurst car became the 1986 European Vacation Commodore! Suitably updated of course.

The #9 number mentioned by Camaroz (thanks for the info too BTW) went to Neil Schembri, as it formed the basis of the BetterGrow VP, built by Mr Finnigan in his tiny Yennora workshop.
As mentioned in my post, the list was from memory. I will check with "Guru Les" in a couple of weeks.

I will also check on the Graeme Cameron car. I am sure it was delivered new to NZ for the Nissan Mobil races. I also remember that it was damaged at Manfield testing in the week(s) before (light roll-over) but all fixed for its first race.

The 1985 Cullen/Grice Bathurst cars were...

Test Car - Cullen Group C VK converted to GpA. Crashed with Lusty's.
Race Car - (leased) Roadways Build # 3.

Did Cullen run in Group A in 1986?
Old 2 Jun 2009, 05:19 (Ref:2473802)   #2707
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Cullen raced a VK at Bathurst in 86 & 87.
Old 2 Jun 2009, 05:20 (Ref:2473803)   #2708
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He ran #8 Supa Salvage car (same colourscheme as 1985) with Gary Sprague at Bathurst. The same car reappeared at the 1987 Castrol 500 in the same colours. Presumebly the '85 test car?
Old 2 Jun 2009, 08:53 (Ref:2473879)   #2709
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hot word kicking around the e-mails at work today said that some "Paint testing" had occurred on the VK at the National Motor Racing Museum at Bathurst, and that the car there was the 1984 Bathurst 05 car!

Anyone have any news about this, or Mr Champion's assessment of the "Testing"?
Old 2 Jun 2009, 10:36 (Ref:2473913)   #2710
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog View Post
Hot word kicking around the e-mails at work today said that some "Paint testing" had occurred on the VK at the National Motor Racing Museum at Bathurst, and that the car there was the 1984 Bathurst 05 car!
Which would come as the most logical outcome, given the history...

It would be most interesting to hear more about this "paint testing"... who... when...why... how?
Old 2 Jun 2009, 11:41 (Ref:2473955)   #2711
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
Which would come as the most logical outcome, given the history...

It would be most interesting to hear more about this "paint testing"... who... when...why... how?
If you would care to search for forums about Bertie Street, you should find the answers you seek...

Seriously though, the "paint testing" was of the left rear guard area of the #05 at the museum, on the basis that car #25 would have had that area repaired after Harvey's tangle with Fury at Hell Corner during the 1000. The paint thickness (measured with an electronic measuring device) in the left rear guard area suggested no repairs had taken place, suggesting that the museum car is the real #05.
Old 2 Jun 2009, 12:03 (Ref:2473975)   #2712
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
# 7. VL. Roadways. Bob Jane T-Marts, Grice 1987. Became an AUSCAR, destroyed in fatal practice crash (Allan Hurran?)

# 8. VL. Roadways. FAI/Grice 1988. Later to Dailey Planet.

# 9. VL. Rogers 1988. Later to Finnigan.
On #7, I just checked the Newstext archives and the driver's name was Alan Hurren. I remember reading about that when it happened, didn't realise it was the ex-Grice Commodore now in Sportsman trim. The crash occurred during a private test day on 15/1/1995. Hurren suffered burns to 85% of his body in the crash, and passed away in hospital later that night.

On #8 & #9, I remember reading somewhere (probably here) that Grice used Rogers car at Bathurst in 1989, hence why Rogers car ran the same livery but orange/white in 1990. IIRC, #8 was the Daily Planet car that burnt to the ground during practice at Bathurst in 1992.
Old 2 Jun 2009, 12:10 (Ref:2473978)   #2713
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr View Post
If you would care to search for forums about Bertie Street, you should find the answers you seek...
That's affirmatory, ghost rider... have sought, and found... hadn't seen that particularl resource before so must thank you for sending me on that particular quest!
Old 2 Jun 2009, 12:38 (Ref:2473990)   #2714
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
And fantastic it was. I remember a race at Silverstone (Tourist Trophy, I think) where Gricey had become locked in a position where he wasn't going to catch anyone and was not going to be caught unless something went horribly wrong, and so spent a sizeable portion of the end of the race drifiting it thorugh Woodcote (and probably eveywhere else) on long powerslides. Fantastic to watch and glorious to listen to. Seems like yesterday... 1986 is a bit of a surprise!
Old 2 Jun 2009, 13:53 (Ref:2474034)   #2715
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
And fantastic it was. I remember a race at Silverstone (Tourist Trophy, I think) where Gricey had become locked in a position where he wasn't going to catch anyone and was not going to be caught unless something went horribly wrong, and so spent a sizeable portion of the end of the race drifiting it thorugh Woodcote (and probably eveywhere else) on long powerslides. Fantastic to watch and glorious to listen to. Seems like yesterday... 1986 is a bit of a surprise!
That's it Woolley.... your human!

A 305 VK GpA Holden, full noise, with Gricey on pommy bitumen, pumpin' it!

Now, where's the car?????????????????
Old 2 Jun 2009, 21:13 (Ref:2474332)   #2716
rogered
Rookie

rallycross in europe
Quote:

Old 2 Jun 2009, 21:17 (Ref:2474334)   #2717
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogered View Post
rallycross in europe
Sorry rogered, I thought the rallyX cars were ex-Serge!
Old 2 Jun 2009, 23:52 (Ref:2474380)   #2718
rogered
Rookie

Quote:
Sorry rogered, I thought the rallyX cars were ex-Serge!
Camaroz,

I saw it in 1994/95 at a club day at thruxton.
was thinking about it about a year ago and spoke to the owner of it, at that time.
he advised me that he had sold it to a belgeim buyer as a rallycross car.
I second person advised me he believed the same.
I had a poke around and found a few commodores used for rallycross, as you know, and spoke to some scandinavian chap at one point.
(this guy said he had an ex twr car all be it pretty far gone)
i had been trying to find via results and photos looking mainly at the front pillar to cage gusset. but found nothing
it would be quite a good one to find, but as i say thats where i got up to and, after a while, convinced myself that if indeed it was a rally car it would be all but wrecked.
would be good to find out its fate though. may be i should open the book again
when i last looked at it, in 94, it was pretty much all there.

dont know if any body else has any info

cheers
Old 4 Jun 2009, 05:31 (Ref:2475108)   #2719
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr View Post
On #8 & #9, I remember reading somewhere (probably here) that Grice used Rogers car at Bathurst in 1989, hence why Rogers car ran the same livery but orange/white in 1990. IIRC, #8 was the Daily Planet car that burnt to the ground during practice at Bathurst in 1992.
Did Rogers own both build #8 and #9?

Prior to the Grice/Percy FAI deal for Bathurst '88 to run build #8, it was suggested that this car would go to Bathurst regardless to act as a spare for the Rogers/Andretti sister car (build #9)

When would Finnigan have taken over the FAI Bathurst '88 car?

What car did Grice use at the Winton 1989 ATCC round, as Rogers was also in that race in a Commodore.
Old 4 Jun 2009, 09:29 (Ref:2475223)   #2720
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
According to the 88 edition of The Great Race, the construction of the 2 VLs was financed by Garry Rogers. He had entered both for Bathurst as 33 for himself and John Andretti and 43 for TBA. After the plan to bring a Nissan out for Grice from Europe was scrapped, the deal was done for the second car to be driven by Grice.

Seeing neither were involved in any major accidents, presumably Grice and Rogers were in the same cars at Winton 89 that they had raced at Bathurst.

I think the speculation that the Grice car was used by Rogers at Bathurst in 90 comes from the fact that the Valvoline orange was applied in the same style as had been carried by the FAI blue.

The Daily Planet car that caught fire during practice at Bathurst in 92 was not destroyed, just sufficently damaged for the team not to repair for the race. They were only going to race it if they could raise extra funding, and after the fire decided to concentrate on their Perkins car.

The car that Rogers had used at Bathurst in 90 was sold to Neil Schembri and prepared by Terry Finnigan. It appeared in a few ATCC rounds in 93 still in the orange and white Valvoline livery. Its mechanicals were transferred to the VP Finnigan built for Schembri for 94.

So therefore the Daily Planet car was the one not used by Rogers in 90.

One saw further use as the Everlast car at Bathurst in 94 & 95.
Old 4 Jun 2009, 09:53 (Ref:2475236)   #2721
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Quote:
rallycross in europe
Quote:
Camaroz,

I saw it in 1994/95 at a club day at thruxton.
was thinking about it about a year ago and spoke to the owner of it, at that time.
he advised me that he had sold it to a belgeim buyer as a rallycross car.
I second person advised me he believed the same.
I had a poke around and found a few commodores used for rallycross, as you know, and spoke to some scandinavian chap at one point.
(this guy said he had an ex twr car all be it pretty far gone)
i had been trying to find via results and photos looking mainly at the front pillar to cage gusset. but found nothing
it would be quite a good one to find, but as i say thats where i got up to and, after a while, convinced myself that if indeed it was a rally car it would be all but wrecked.
would be good to find out its fate though. may be i should open the book again
when i last looked at it, in 94, it was pretty much all there.

dont know if any body else has any info

cheers
Am I reading this right- we're talking about Grice's European VK from '86? If we are, then that takes us a step further in finding the post-Grice history of that car. So far, from the 'Commodores in Europe' thread
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97759

we've got it being sold on after Gricey's European season to Clive Faine/Linden Racing and raced in the 1987 BTCC by Mike O'Brien, run out of Alan Docking's workshops. O'Brien seems to have replaced it with a VL for 1988, and it was sold on- Later owners named so far include Chris Maries, Phil Rose and Ric Wood- they used it in Thundersaloons and club racing in the UK around 1991/2.

So if I've read this right, does it then go to Belgium as a rallycross car?
Old 4 Jun 2009, 10:47 (Ref:2475263)   #2722
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Am I reading this right- we're talking about Grice's European VK from '86? If we are, then that takes us a step further in finding the post-Grice history of that car. So far, from the 'Commodores in Europe' thread
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97759

we've got it being sold on after Gricey's European season to Clive Faine/Linden Racing and raced in the 1987 BTCC by Mike O'Brien, run out of Alan Docking's workshops. O'Brien seems to have replaced it with a VL for 1988, and it was sold on- Later owners named so far include Chris Maries, Phil Rose and Ric Wood- they used it in Thundersaloons and club racing in the UK around 1991/2.

So if I've read this right, does it then go to Belgium as a rallycross car?
Thats the ? KA. Working on it!
Old 5 Jun 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2475801)   #2723
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The bum fell out of this one
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Jun 2009, 12:15 (Ref:2475934)   #2724
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
There was a guy in Sydney who had the '05' car in that fleet, the one Mr Brock bailed from to get into this '45' car... wonder where the 3rd one is?

The value in this car is that Mr Brock stuck his bum in it... they didnt win the class in the B12....
Re: B12HR 05 Brock Peugeot, I saw it on the road near Brookvale a while back. I assume it was 05 - had no number, but had the Peugeot windscreen signage and Peugeot stripes up front pillar. So it is being driven at least sometimes as a road car - it is a production car no less !

From memory all three Team Peugeots had different colour Windscreen signage - so u'd b able to tell from that.
Old 5 Jun 2009, 23:26 (Ref:2476261)   #2725
Carter-Nelson
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne - Australia
Carter-Nelson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lawrie Nelson Capri

Hi Guys,
I'm trying to find period photos of the Lawrie Nelson Capri from the 1980's. I had Capri Components sponsorship...

Thanks,
Nev.