Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 14 Aug 2009, 20:15 (Ref:2521563)   #1
Sparton
Rookie

Sparton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tecno F3 info reqd. (merged)

Can anyone help me! Am trying to trace period history of my ex Rob Hall, David Andrews, Bobby Lawson, Paul Sleeman, Nick Crossley, Brian Sims, Nick Crossley, Glenn Hyatt F3 '68/'69 Tecno. Nick tells me it had a 'works' (Novamotor?) engine when he got it at the demise of Glenn's Low Cost Racing, also then had a sliding throttle IDA. Nick put that engine in his preferred chassis, Ensign(F4). I'm assuming Glenn is no longer with us but as I can only find 'BT1' on chassis would like to trace what it should be. Car 24 HSCC Mallory CRC.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 08:42 (Ref:2521728)   #2
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sparton

Paul Sleeman ran a Tecno in F4 in 1973. At that point it's described as a 69 model.
Presume this is your car as most F4s passed through Low Cost Racing at some point in their lives

There were not many Tecnos imported to UK

1968 Chris Craft has a car described as ex Brambilla, which would make it a 67 or even 66 model. This car to Graham Goodman 1969 and to Jon Woodner early 1970, but don't know if Woodner took it back to USA or sold in UK

Brian Newton bought a new 1968 model and sold it to Fred Boothby who ran John Morrison in the car. John is still around and might know where it went, but I think he crashed it quite badly

Peter Gaydon has a 69 model T00379 but this is sold to the USA by 1971

Mike Keens has a 69 model which disappears - he's still around running family haulage company

John Rae imports an F2 spec car, probably T00288, used by Reutemann in the Temporada, to run libre races with Ford t/c, in early 1971. Rae is killed in a road accident early May 71, and I don't know what becomes of this car

Your car is probably one of these, with the Gaydon car the least likely.

Chris
Old 15 Aug 2009, 15:19 (Ref:2521886)   #3
Sparton
Rookie

Sparton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Chris, I follow up your leads. Cheers. P.St.B. ps I raced against Paul S(Tecno) at Oulton Park, that was his only race in it, he sold it back to Nick Crossley. I was racing Bob Sparshott's Sparton, but had too much lemonade night before and knocked three wheels off 2nd lap of practice at Old Hall!
Old 27 Dec 2009, 07:59 (Ref:2605295)   #4
Ian B
Rookie

Ian B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tecno F3 information required...

Hi,

Very new here, so please accept my apologies if any of the content in my first post here is a) in the wrong place and b) has been covered before! I have searched and searched to no avail. Here goes...

I am involved in restoring a 1969(?) Tecno F3 car. There is very little information ( That I can find at least ) about this car. I am looking for history about Tecno chassis T00532.

Can anyone help? I really hope so.

Thanks and Regards.

Ian.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 10:50 (Ref:2607601)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome, Ian. I've merged this with the similar request from Sparton.

Can anyone help Ian? Any chance of developing this into a chassis history thread for theses cars, or should I put it out into the main History forum?
Old 3 Jan 2010, 17:42 (Ref:2607700)   #6
Ian B
Rookie

Hello John,

Thanks for that. I do not know where this should be placed. I would dearly love to know more about this car though.

Regards.

Ian.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 10:49 (Ref:2608836)   #7
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ian
where did you get the car from?
have you looked in the Tecno book written by the Italian?
it will be worth contacting him for info he has posted here on the other Tecno thread
You will see info here
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ighlight=tecno
Old 6 Jan 2010, 18:28 (Ref:2609020)   #8
Ian B
Rookie

Hello Driftwood,

Thanks for the input. I have seen the " Tecno " book, there is little in there that can help us. ( a friend of mine actually owns the car, I am helping with the rebuild )

The car was purchased privately as I understand. If this information is useful, I am sure I can post more information here if it will help.

You mention in the other thread / post, that chassis numbers were stamped on the upright. As far as I can tell so far - Chassis numbers appear some where near the top of the roll bar / cage. I have seen several now and they are all very similar. Does that help? Hope so.

Regards.

Ian.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 19:29 (Ref:2609044)   #9
driftwood
Veteran

yes F3 car i had for sale wa son roll hoop
by knowing where car came form narrows down its history somewhat
so spill the beans
If this is the bent f3 fford engine car then it was what i had for sale german driver had it from new
Old 7 Jan 2010, 22:14 (Ref:2609746)   #10
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ian

What form does the rollbar stamping take? Does it say exactly T00532?

It might not be what you think it is.

Allen

Allen Brown

Editor
OldRacingCars.com
http://www.oldracingcars.com
allen@oldracingcars.com
Old 8 Jan 2010, 14:31 (Ref:2610024)   #11
Ian B
Rookie

Hi Allen,

There is a small, triangular, plate near the top of the roll bar. The number is stamped onto that plate. It is quite clear - T00532.

Thanks for the input.

Regards.

Ian.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 11:49 (Ref:2610946)   #12
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
Hi Allen,

There is a small, triangular, plate near the top of the roll bar. The number is stamped onto that plate. It is quite clear - T00532.

Thanks for the input.

Regards.

Ian.
Ian

I don't altogether agree with Kevan that this was raced from new by a German driver Herman Unold.
Based on what's been said about this car as run by Roger Hurst I think it might have been the car raced in 1970 by Mike Keens. I have a chassis number observation of Unold in T00530 in 1970, run by Eifelland.

Just to clarify this a bit: Keens has a 1969 Tecno, but crashes it badly near the end of the 1969 season. The car he races in 1970 - entered by Lenham Hurst - was described as a 1970 model. I'm theorising that he bought a new car for 1970, which he could well afford to do.

Chris
Old 12 Jan 2010, 05:46 (Ref:2612059)   #13
Ian B
Rookie

Hello Chris,

Many thanks for the extra information. One thing that does stand out a mile here though...

Looking at the images of Mike Keens in a Tecno - The roll bar on his car is radically different from the car we are talking about. The roll bar we have appears to be original. ( the chassis is now totally bare / stripped )

Any suggestions?

Regards.

Ian.
Old 14 Jan 2010, 00:09 (Ref:2613076)   #14
driftwood
Veteran

Ian you never answered my question
Is the car in yorkshire? is it the maroon car with kent engine in it that was shunted at coombe?
if so it never had plate fitted the number was stamped on roll hoop
Old 17 Jan 2010, 15:35 (Ref:2614685)   #15
Ian B
Rookie

Hello again Driftwood,

My apologies are offered...

The car is in Lancashire. It is ( was ) maroon in colour and I believe it was shunted at Coombe. However...

The plate as described earlier is original, as is the roll bar. There is no evidence of a number being removed from said roll bar.

Are talking about the same car?

Regards.

Ian.
Old 17 Jan 2010, 16:52 (Ref:2614721)   #16
driftwood
Veteran

yorkshire lancashire same differnce when yr down south!

yes car was shunted at coombe rear end tweeked askew

It never had plate # is on roll hoop have you done a rubbing off of it as it was not easy to see with the paint /powder coating
when you want bodywork let me know mould is near me and 1 or 2 will be made soon
1 for owner and 1 for another car
Old 22 Feb 2010, 21:21 (Ref:2638589)   #17
Motomobilia.UK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire
Motomobilia.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found this thread by accident and hope that my comments may be of interest and/or help to other readers.

Mike Keens was a close friend of mine back in the period and I do know that he only owned one Tecno F3, which he purchased to replace the BT21B that had been run by P&M Racing Preparations. I'm not clear as to when exactly he bought the Tecno, but I do know that Roger Coltman went to the Pederzani brothers in Bologna to build and prepare the car.

(Am I right about his surname -- Coltman/Coltham? As I remember, Roger originally worked for Lenham-Hurst and then went on his own, working out of workshops in Harrietsham, Kent.)

Mike's last F3 racing was in the Formula Three Temporada series in Argentina and to the best of my memory, he sold the car to someone there before returning home. I subsequently sold his two spare engines and bought his set of gear ratios for my own exploits in Formula Ford.

On a separate note; the Graham Goodman/John Woodman car...

Graham had had his Tecno up for sale for quite a while, when John Woodman came over from the U.S. to run in F3 in the U.K. Graham rented the car to John, who after several races had a huge accident (I think it was at Thruxton) and destroyed the car. And based on their agreement, bought the remains! Subsequently, Graham told me that John had shipped the wreck back to the U.S.

In 1983, I moved to California and after a couple of successful seasons sprinting and hill-climbing a Lotus 7 Series 3 and a Haggispeed clubmans car in the U.K., ran a VW Golf GTi in the SCCA Solo 2 series.

(A badly organized sprint championship around parking lots and county show grounds; for my sins!)

One of the classes was for specials and one person was running a very ugly and appallingly prepared thing with a downdraft MAE engine. After inspection, I discovered that its basis was a Tecno F3. After discussion with the owner, it appeared that this was indeed the remains of the Graham Goodman/John Woodman car that had been returned to the United States.

I hope this ramble is of interest and would be delighted to have further discussions with anyone that is interested. In addition, if anyone has contact information for Mike Keens, I would love to receive it. We lost contact some time before I left for California and now that I'm once again living back in the U.K., would love to get in touch with him.

Andrew Hyett
Old 22 Feb 2010, 21:38 (Ref:2638594)   #18
Motomobilia.UK
Rookie

United Kingdom
The F3 History website...

(http://www.f3history.co.uk/Manufactu...ecno/tecno.htm)

...shows the Mike Keens car to be a 1969 model raced in 1969, 1970 and 1971.

Andrew Hyett
Old 22 Feb 2010, 22:16 (Ref:2638619)   #19
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks very much for this Andrew - you've helped a lot with the story of Tecnos in England.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 17:50 (Ref:2639209)   #20
Motomobilia.UK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Mike Keens

This link may be of interest to you:

http://forums.autosport.com/lofivers...p/t106522.html

Andrew Hyett