Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Oct 2013, 17:21 (Ref:3314213)   #1
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Maldonado 'I'd rather stay at home...'

Interesting piece on Maldonado on Autosport who is clearly very frustrated with the performance of Williams this year..

"I really need a good car to enjoy it, and this year I'm not enjoying it," Maldonado told AUTOSPORT.

"I'm living a really bad moment and I need some motivation to keep doing my best. I want something more. I'm here for something more.
"I don't want to just be in Formula 1, to be honest. It's better to stay at home, if it's like that.

Interestingly he says that his future in F1 is not certain.

Maldonado admitted he is unsure about his future, especially after the death of Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez.

"I hope I will be on the grid, but you never know," he said.
"It could depend on the [financial] support or not, you never know. Formula 1 is like that.

"This year I'm here, next year I don't know where I will be."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110430
Old 7 Oct 2013, 17:33 (Ref:3314222)   #2
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
understand his and no doubt his sponsors frustration but cant help but feel this is a sadder indictment about the state of Williams.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 17:49 (Ref:3314227)   #3
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
understand his and no doubt his sponsors frustration but cant help but feel this is a sadder indictment about the state of Williams.
Indeed, I've been a Williams fans since the Keke days and it is terrible to see how far they have fallen 1 point so far!

On paper they have all the ingredients but some how the recipe always produces an indifferent meal.....
Old 7 Oct 2013, 17:57 (Ref:3314230)   #4
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The car is clearly a hound. Next year's technical shake up is a big opportunity to get it right or fail miserably. I hope Pat Symonds has his thinking cap on.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 18:51 (Ref:3314250)   #5
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can think of 21 other people who feel the same
Old 7 Oct 2013, 19:03 (Ref:3314254)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When you are basically funding the team I guess you can say what you like.

but the bloke I believe is a one hit wonder, causes a lot of his own issues and in r reality is nothing special. And *****ing about it to the press when you have very little against a team mate is hardly the nicest touch. For me, he and Perez are the two most needlessly aggressive drivers, just like the Brazilians used to be in F3 and 3000 years ago, lots of speed, lots of aggression, but F1 would be better off without either.

If he cant develop the car, is that really Williams' problem?
Old 7 Oct 2013, 19:43 (Ref:3314261)   #7
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
If he cant develop the car, is that really Williams' problem?
But in modern-day F1, do the drivers really have anything other than the most marginal of rôles in developing the car?
Old 7 Oct 2013, 20:04 (Ref:3314269)   #8
Karima
Rookie

Canada
Kingston
Karima should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams have made some major mistakes since 2005 with their driver line ups.

Getting rid of Hulkenberg and Barrichelo was not a good idea. Hulkenberg is a future champion and Barrichelo could have been very valuable with set up and helping the team move forward with his experience.

Pastor may be quick but Spanish GP aside, he hasnt done anything to suggest he is a future champion.

Williams should change their line up for 2014, keep Bottas as he has shown flashes of speed and hire either Massa or Hulkenberg (if he does not go to Lotus).

Both would be more consistent than PM. And lets pray Pay Symonds helps produce a worthy car for the Williams F1 name next year. It pains me to see Williams running around at the back.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 20:15 (Ref:3314275)   #9
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karima View Post

Getting rid of Hulkenberg and Barrichelo was not a good idea. Hulkenberg is a future champion and Barrichelo could have been very valuable with set up and helping the team move forward with his experience.

Pastor may be quick but Spanish GP aside, he hasnt done anything to suggest he is a future champion.

Williams should change their line up for 2014, keep Bottas as he has shown flashes of speed and hire either Massa or Hulkenberg (if he does not go to Lotus).

Both would be more consistent than PM. And lets pray Pay Symonds helps produce a worthy car for the Williams F1 name next year. It pains me to see Williams running around at the back.
Problem is that Pastor is a driver and a customer....that is a tricky one.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 22:55 (Ref:3314322)   #10
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's understandable he feels that way. Winners are fierce competitors and not satisfied with just making up the numbers. He wants more, he's hungry, it's good to see.
Quote:

Pastor has outperformed Bottas this year and he should get the boot? I guess you could be right if Bottas keeps improving, but that's still a big risk, even when you don't consider the money Maldonado brings.

Also, Bottas needs to fix his consistency more than Maldonado.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 23:44 (Ref:3314336)   #11
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once a driver publicly complains about his car, you know that his relationship with the team has already started falling apart. Considering his purse and the financial situation of Sauber, I wouldn't be surprised if Maldonado moves there if Hulkenberg moves to Lotus next year.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 23:48 (Ref:3314338)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Arguably Williams have been off the boil since the cigarette money left in the mid 1990s... They were always the team wil a half dozen mega brand names on the car, from all kinds of industries, but they all got turfed to take the Rothmans bagatelle..

The cars arent good, but surely should be better than a Marussia or a Caterham, but the gap isnt as much as you would think it should be

Another motor next year, more learning, a customer not a works partner..

The ingredients are there for the most exquisite meal yet all they make each year is an effluent sandwich. Mr Maldonado doesnt seem to know why either...

Weird
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 7 Oct 2013, 23:49 (Ref:3314339)   #13
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
It's understandable he feels that way. Winners are fierce competitors and not satisfied with just making up the numbers. He wants more, he's hungry, it's good to see. Pastor has outperformed Bottas this year and he should get the boot? I guess you could be right if Bottas keeps improving, but that's still a big risk, even when you don't consider the money Maldonado brings.

Also, Bottas needs to fix his consistency more than Maldonado.
Otto's analysis in the team mate battles, as of Singapore, would seem to suggest they are pretty even.

Fastest Lap: 1-0 to Pastor Maldonado (8-5 to Valtteri Bottas)
Qualifying: 3-0 to Valtteri Bottas (24-15 to Valtteri Bottas)
Race: 5-0 to Pastor Maldonado (37.5 - 27.5 to Pastor Maldonado)

Williams: 58.5 - 58.5 each

The Pit pass super grid reflects Bottas at 15.64 and Makdonado at 16.21, split by Guitterez's Sauber. http://www.pitpass.com/src/seasons/2.../supergrid.php

Bottas has been pretty impressive this year though, is it just a case of not knowing enough to be scared?
Old 7 Oct 2013, 23:57 (Ref:3314342)   #14
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Hopefully Pat Symonds can stop the rot.

Williams really have to put a stop to the revolving door employment policy and show some loyalty to their staff, they would seem to have a very small store of corporate knowledge, and I would think very little loyalty from their employees. If you were a Williams employee and someone offered you a job in a stable team, you would have to go wouldn't you?

Look at the list of Williams rejects, start with A. Newey and work your way down! Wow!
Old 8 Oct 2013, 00:10 (Ref:3314348)   #15
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams looks like a very chaotic place from outside. Too many driver and engine changes over the last few years, little continuity, except for Maldonado who is there his third year now. If Maldonado leaves, this could be another blow. In that would happen, as a fan of Petrov, I'd love to see them hire Petrov. Petrov demonstrated he is fast enough to be on the same pace with Heidfeld and Kovalainen, and perhaps he could bring Russian sponsorship to the team.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 01:45 (Ref:3314369)   #16
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Replace Maldonado and hire Kovalainen! An all Finn lineup would be devastating for the competition!
Old 8 Oct 2013, 01:55 (Ref:3314373)   #17
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
I'm not going to bother reading through all of this because it can ultimately only come to a single conclusion. If Maldonado wants to go home instead of race, I applaud him for it. Maybe we'll save a few lives on the racetrack without his "navigating by Labrador" is a certain John Hindhaugh would put it.

Nevertheless, is it just me or has he gotten a bit better the last few months?
Old 8 Oct 2013, 03:03 (Ref:3314382)   #18
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hard to find motivation unless winning? Might as well stay home?

Gosh Loldanado isn't going to be on many teams radars with that sort of defeatists attitude. Put Bianchi in the car instead, or even Bruno.

Hulkenberg absolutely owned Pastor in GP2 with ART (100-36 in points) in what was Hulks rookie season compared to Pastor's 3rd season. If that doesn't tell you the guy is overrated...

Meanwhile Bottas jumps from a season of euro F3, a season of GP3, a year off, and in his rookie season in F1 he's still matching Pastor. He should be a miles behind with his lack of experience. Like Gutierrez vs Hulk except at least Gutierrez has had 2 seasons of Gp2 and no off-year.

It says a lot of Bottas, quite frankly.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 06:13 (Ref:3314422)   #19
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Arguably Williams have been off the boil since the cigarette money left in the mid 1990s... They were always the team wil a half dozen mega brand names on the car, from all kinds of industries, but they all got turfed to take the Rothmans bagatelle..

The cars arent good, but surely should be better than a Marussia or a Caterham, but the gap isnt as much as you would think it should be

Another motor next year, more learning, a customer not a works partner..

The ingredients are there for the most exquisite meal yet all they make each year is an effluent sandwich. Mr Maldonado doesnt seem to know why either...

Weird
I think they have the ingredients but have lost the recipe book...
Old 8 Oct 2013, 08:19 (Ref:3314460)   #20
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
If you are going to have Maldonado in one car, you need a top class driver in the other seat, not an unproven rookie. I honestly cannot think of a less inspiring driver line up in recent years outside of the 3 new teams.

Next year if Williams keep Maldonado because of his cash, I think they should be looking to pair him up with someone who has been around the block a few times. The problem is, Massa aside, there is not that many drivers out there that fit the bill.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 08:29 (Ref:3314463)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
If you are going to have Maldonado in one car, you need a top class driver in the other seat, not an unproven rookie. I honestly cannot think of a less inspiring driver line up in recent years outside of the 3 new teams.

Next year if Williams keep Maldonado because of his cash, I think they should be looking to pair him up with someone who has been around the block a few times. The problem is, Massa aside, there is not that many drivers out there that fit the bill.
Mark Webber?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 8 Oct 2013, 08:31 (Ref:3314465)   #22
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I'm sure he would rather drive a Porshe!
Old 8 Oct 2013, 09:38 (Ref:3314493)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Personally, I'd accuse Hulkenberg of extreme brain fade if he went to Williams next year. A simple way of killing a career which is finally threatening to take off.....
Old 8 Oct 2013, 17:05 (Ref:3314700)   #24
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Please do stay at home Mr Maldonado and let someone else have a go. Or concentrate on beating your team-mate.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 17:49 (Ref:3314724)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Or concentrate on beating your team-mate.
When all else fails, clubbing your teammate to a pulp is sometimes all that you are left with.