Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Mar 2009, 08:02 (Ref:2414740)   #2626
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the history of the John Douglas Rx7. It is good to see another Rx7 running again.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 17:24 (Ref:2415019)   #2627
pozforma
Rookie

pozforma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by avors View Post
You’re making a mountain out of a mole hill, the car has a permit to run and Drbob has stated it will be returned to the correct spec.
Let the guy run it and the spectators enjoy.
I'm sorry but I don't believe that am, I'm currently restoring a group A car and very serious consideration had to be given in regard to livery as the vehicle spec must match the livery of a given race meeting to obtain a C of D, this is all clearly outlined by CAMS.

I find it very hard to understand how you can own a car for years, complete a drive line out and repaint restoration and not carry out the most fundamental job while you have the most room to work. There were 2.7 million Sierra's built, lets say half were RHD, do you really think a dash and steering rack are going to be that to find, not to mention 1 hour from were the car car was restored there is a man who has a pile of cars and parts. Why not present it correctly from the start? everyone else has to.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2415848)   #2628
groupnxu1
Rookie

groupnxu1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
What was the origins and what happened to the Marathon Foods VL Commodore's from 1992/93

Presumebly the black one from 1992 was written off on Conrod in an accident in the 1000 with the second Caltex Sierra, and the white one from 93 was another vehicle?
The car was sold to Robert Smith ( not sure if it is the black car or not)
the running gear was put into the 2nd Product VP ( Robert Smith also had this car) the VL was sold as a shell and the guy who ended up with the shell had a domestic with his wife and had the shell picked up and sent to SIMS metals ( as to weather the car made it to SIMS or not is another story) some of the damage on the shell was quite bad and quite recognisible and im sure if it did happen to surface again it would be looked at closly by a few people
Old 16 Mar 2009, 11:12 (Ref:2416556)   #2629
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post
Qualifying
http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re.../2009.PHIL.Q21

The gap has closed a bit, but still 4 seconds.
Chris seems to be getting used to the ANZ sierra, moving up the time sheet.
Mount, David Towe should be very proud of the performance he put in against the might of the "Phartsteiner" Bimmers...one win, and he should have won another, a very very creditable outing...congratulations David
Old 16 Mar 2009, 12:37 (Ref:2416632)   #2630
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by avors View Post
Dave, just keep of that grass if your trying to keep up with those Fords?
Thanks for the advice, it worked brilliantly.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 12:43 (Ref:2416639)   #2631
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Mount, David Towe should be very proud of the performance he put in against the might of the "Phartsteiner" Bimmers...one win, and he should have won another, a very very creditable outing...congratulations David

Thanks 275, I have a pic of me on the front row with a 2 time ATCC Champion, as they said in "The Castle" "That's going straight to the pool room"!

The results sheet showed Drbobs DTM spec M3 was a class "E" car, the Group A M3s were class "B", anyone know why?

If you saw the Warsteiner Group A M3 of Bill Cutlers, you'd have seen a very nice resto. Not over done, but really nice. It was runner up in the best presented car competition. It even beat the 635 of Adrian Brady and that's no mean feat.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 12:56 (Ref:2416648)   #2632
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
one win, and he should have won another, a very very creditable outing...congratulations David
I think Glen had well and truly switched off with a few laps to go, but it did make for a bit of excitement for the spectators. I said all along that all I wanted from the weekend was to still be able to see him at the end of the race and thanks to him not wishing to embarrass the rest of us I could see him. I think he was in total control of the 0.6 second gap at the end of the first race. A true showman. I did enjoy out jumping him and genuinely leading for 4 corners of the second race, that was a buzz.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 20:59 (Ref:2416960)   #2633
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done David, and see you didn't go back a spot because of the sierra!

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 17 Mar 2009, 02:52 (Ref:2417115)   #2634
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe View Post
Thanks 275, I have a pic of me on the front row with a 2 time ATCC Champion, as they said in "The Castle" "That's going straight to the pool room"!

The results sheet showed Drbobs DTM spec M3 was a class "E" car, the Group A M3s were class "B", anyone know why?

If you saw the Warsteiner Group A M3 of Bill Cutlers, you'd have seen a very nice resto. Not over done, but really nice. It was runner up in the best presented car competition. It even beat the 635 of Adrian Brady and that's no mean feat.
Bill enjoys is BMW's his road BMW coupe is a ripper.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 03:20 (Ref:2417118)   #2635
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately Seton couldn't make the last race because he had a plane to catch. He was sensational I thought, but as you would expect.
I was very happy with the Sierra's debut straight out of the box.
Bill Cutler's bimmer was also straight out of the box and he performed brilliantly as well, especially that first race on Sunday
And David has the accolades already, a great weekend all round for him.

One of the best drives of the whole weekend was the Skyline HR 31 in the wet on Saturday. Craig Markland came from the rear of the grid and finished just behind the Sierra. Another lap and he would have had him.

David, I am not sure why you call my bimmer a DTM spec BMW. It is a Group A Sport Evo spec BMW as it raced in Macau in Group A. It has an FIA HTP for Group A and CAMS eligibility are happy with its Group A specs subject to changing the colour scheme to represent the correct year. If the specs are wrong please let me know and I will check it out.

Glenn Seton has agreed to drive the M3 or the #10 Eggenberger Moffat Sierra at the MCM this year.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 03:54 (Ref:2417124)   #2636
2lt SuperTourer
Rookie

2lt SuperTourer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob View Post

David, I am not sure why you call my bimmer a DTM spec BMW. It is a Group A Sport Evo spec BMW as it raced in Macau in Group A. It has an FIA HTP for Group A and CAMS eligibility are happy with its Group A specs subject to changing the colour scheme to represent the correct year. If the specs are wrong please let me know and I will check it out.
Hi drbob.
If you dont mind me asking what is the correct colour scheme for your car?

Thanks..
2lt
Old 17 Mar 2009, 06:09 (Ref:2417144)   #2637
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
David, i heard that there was a bit of carnage including one of the VL's ??
Old 17 Mar 2009, 06:45 (Ref:2417153)   #2638
drbob
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lt SuperTourer View Post
Hi drbob.
If you dont mind me asking what is the correct colour scheme for your car?

Thanks..
2lt
2lt until a few weeks ago it was to be the Pirro colours from Macau Guia race 1990. Like this:

But recently I have been told that Pirro may not have driven my car. If not then it will be Charles Kwan from the same race. Charles Kwan bought the car from Schnitzer in July 1990. I do not have a picture of the car but have seen it on video. It clearly runs the sport evo aero package but in Frank de Jong's site it is recorded as a ?2.3l engine. That can't be the case given the Sport Evo Package. From Frank de Jong's site Kevin Wong ran a ?2.5l engine. in the same race with the aero package. Both were in Team Overtake.
So it is either the Pirro colours or Kwan colours.
All I have to do is pick a Group A race where it ran the aero package and 2.5l engine and run the colours for that meeting. CAMS Historic Group A regulations say you can delete any of the signwriting from the car but not add to it.
I am trying to obtain contact details for Charles Kwan or his team manager or engineer to obtain primary source materials to prove which colours it ran in.
I would be greatful for any help on the car, contact info, photos, race programme details or magazine articles
Old 17 Mar 2009, 10:38 (Ref:2417263)   #2639
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Unfortunately Seton couldn't make the last race because he had a plane to catch. He was sensational I thought, but as you would expect.
I was very happy with the Sierra's debut straight out of the box.
Bill Cutler's bimmer was also straight out of the box and he performed brilliantly as well, especially that first race on Sunday
And David has the accolades already, a great weekend all round for him.

One of the best drives of the whole weekend was the Skyline HR 31 in the wet on Saturday. Craig Markland came from the rear of the grid and finished just behind the Sierra. Another lap and he would have had him.

Glenn Seton has agreed to drive the M3 or the #10 Eggenberger Moffat Sierra at the MCM this year.
I think the confusion is over whether the 2.5 litre with the aero kit was homologated for Group A or was just accepted into DTM racing as part of the homologation process for that series.

Great looking car regardless of how it is classified.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 11:16 (Ref:2417287)   #2640
drbob
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
I think the confusion is over whether the 2.5 litre with the aero kit was homologated for Group A or was just accepted into DTM racing as part of the homologation process for that series.

Chavez the 2.5l engine and the sport evo aero package was homologated in Group A in March 1990.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 12:35 (Ref:2417317)   #2641
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:

The DTM at the time was still Group A regs I think?
Old 17 Mar 2009, 23:44 (Ref:2417886)   #2642
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Chavez the 2.5l engine and the sport evo aero package was homologated in Group A in March 1990.
thanks DrBob.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 03:00 (Ref:2417964)   #2643
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Amatil backed a four car team of 2.5l M3 evos under Frank Gardner in the 1991 ATCC, drivers were Longhurst, Morris, Full and Blanchard?????
Old 18 Mar 2009, 03:55 (Ref:2417982)   #2644
BlueMax
Racer

BlueMax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
Amatil backed a four car team of 2.5l M3 evos under Frank Gardner in the 1991 ATCC, drivers were Longhurst, Morris, Full and Blanchard?????
The 1991 ATCC had Tony Longhurst and Alan Jones as the drivers.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 06:53 (Ref:2418013)   #2645
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The right drivers but 1993 (two ran B&H, two ran Diet Coke) A good effort to front with four works cars, when Holden had two and Ford only showing token support to the 'V8' formula. The did run a new wing-kit from early in 1993 (an evolution i've read which was used once by Johnny Cecotto at the Nurburgring in the 1992 DTM??)

DTM was 'based' on Group A until the end of 1992 (they did away with the Group A class system from the start, instead paritying up everything), how Group A though were the Merc 190s of 1992 though with their wings etc....
Old 18 Mar 2009, 08:29 (Ref:2418054)   #2646
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats to all at Phillip Island, especially for enduring the weather & good to hear that the Seton BMW was retired for non-breakage reasons!
Old 18 Mar 2009, 08:35 (Ref:2418058)   #2647
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Quote:
Thanks David, by co-incidence I am converting my '91 ATCC races from video to DVD at present. I watched the Amaroo round last night. A cracker of a race.

I'd I not certain but I think the DTM dropped the Group A regs at the end of 1989. You certainly could not enter a Sierra in the 1990 championship.

Gardner's team went from two cars in '91, to three cars in '92 and four cars in '93.

Certainly by 1991 Aussie Group A was straying from the rule book with 6 speed Sierras, non-homolgated VN Commodores, etc
Old 22 Mar 2009, 08:36 (Ref:2421842)   #2648
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Quote:
David, I am not sure why you call my bimmer a DTM spec BMW. It is a Group A Sport Evo spec BMW as it raced in Macau in Group A. It has an FIA HTP for Group A and CAMS eligibility are happy with its Group A specs subject to changing the colour scheme to represent the correct year. If the specs are wrong please let me know and I will check it out..

I'm sorry if I'm wrong re the spec of the M3 Drbob, but when Warren had it in NZ I was always lead to believe it was DTM spec and that DTM had moved away from Group A spec in 1989. I wouldn't hang your hat on the CAMS approval as there are quite a few cars that don't comply with the rules that CAMS have passed. The CAMS elegibility inspection on my own car was cursory to put it mildly. Why did the time sheets list it as Class E rather than Class B though? It is nice to see it out there and as I've said before if I had the money I'd buy it.
Are you planning on doing Oran Park in June? I won't be at The Creek in May ( no budget ) and would love to do battle with it again.
Cheers
David
Old 22 Mar 2009, 08:39 (Ref:2421844)   #2649
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Quote:
Thanks David, by co-incidence I am converting my '91 ATCC races from video to DVD at present.
Do you have the 1987 season by chance?
Old 22 Mar 2009, 09:11 (Ref:2421865)   #2650
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks David, by co-incidence I am converting my '91 ATCC races from video to DVD at present. I watched the Amaroo round last night. A cracker of a race.

I'd I not certain but I think the DTM dropped the Group A regs at the end of 1989. You certainly could not enter a Sierra in the 1990 championship.

Gardner's team went from two cars in '91, to three cars in '92 and four cars in '93.

Certainly by 1991 Aussie Group A was straying from the rule book with 6 speed Sierras, non-homolgated VN Commodores, etc
Ithink that VN Group As were accepted and given approval under Homologation # 5410 from 01/04/1990, as the FIA gave an exception due to the limited market in Australia to sell any cars.

Happy to be corrected.