Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Jun 2009, 09:23 (Ref:2486842)   #2776
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quality pictures GTR, love the home made numbers on the Mark Petch Sierra.

I presume these were taken at the 89 & 90 ATCC rounds and at one of the 89 Amscar rounds, with the exception of the Chickadee pictures from 86. The pit facilities at Amaroo were somewhat basic, although certainly not unique at the time. Must have been great fun when it rained. Could you imagine the carry on if any of the current crop were faced with these conditions, not likely.

The Car-Trek VL is PE006, the former Tony Noske car hence why it still in Kalari Transport orange and yellow.

Speaking of Car-Trek VLs, Bob Jones purchased the 87 Bathurst winner from Chris Lambden in 89 and according to the 91 Great Race annual had by this stage returned it to HDT carby specs.

In 92, a second Car-Trek VL was entered in the enduros for Robbie Ker & Don Watson painted green with Tic Tac sponsorship. Does anybody know the history of this chassis?
Old 20 Jun 2009, 10:27 (Ref:2486871)   #2777
Bown
Rookie

Bown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some good pics there GTR!
Old 20 Jun 2009, 10:55 (Ref:2486883)   #2778
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Callaghan VL (if memory serves me correct) was quick enough to get pole at one of the AMSCAR meetings in 1989

I think the picture of the Chickadee is from around the same period (late 80s-early 90s), as the car was run in the occasional Sports Sedan race at the time (i remember seeing it running at Oran Park in what must have been 1989 or 1990)
Old 20 Jun 2009, 11:05 (Ref:2486887)   #2779
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 21 Jun 2009, 12:52 (Ref:2487528)   #2780
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog View Post
Why would that sticker then not appear on HRT, DJR or Larry's cars (or any of the Privateers for that matter?)? May have had some relation to the running Moffat did in Japan?
It only appeared on the Moffat car because it had claimed Pole Position in Tooheys Top Ten. The slogan on the stickers says "Pole position for the next century" so it makes sense that they would only be on a pole-winning car. Why the stickers weren't on the #17 Shell car that actually started from pole in '88, I'm not sure.

The stickers did appear on the Johnson car in Wellington that year, on at least one of the TTA Corollas at Bathurst in '89, and then on the Moffat car again at Bathurst in '90. AFAIK, they are the only times the sticker was used.

Anyway, here it is. It'll require some cleaning up, though:

Old 21 Jun 2009, 13:20 (Ref:2487541)   #2781
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you VERY much for that. I can clean that up no problems.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 22 Jun 2009, 11:52 (Ref:2488234)   #2782
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
pete60 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given that two ex Bathurst winning Perkins Commodores were judged not to be worth $400,000 plus each, how do you get to $500,000 plus for this one?

I'm sure this is a very interesting piece of racing history but $500,000 plus for a car raced maybe once by Peter Brock? Seems a little steep and I suspect the seller may need to re-align his/her expectations with the current market for not all that significant race cars.

http://www.my105.com/classified.asp?id=8603
Old 22 Jun 2009, 14:25 (Ref:2488346)   #2783
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think the owners of these may also be a bit optimistic:

http://www.my105.com/classified.asp?id=8714

http://www.my105.com/classified.asp?id=11421
Old 22 Jun 2009, 14:37 (Ref:2488354)   #2784
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
bent65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post
Thank you VERY much for that. I can clean that up no problems.
Hey Mt P. those are some great photos. I would love to get some copies of the '88 sierra onesif it is at all possible.

Also a great source for logos if you arent already aware is www.brondsoftheworld.com . It wont have the specialty ones like this sticker but geez its got alot and they are in pdf format so you can use them straightup.
ps. what sort of money do you charge to do a race car like the caltex car in your pic there?
Cheers
Old 22 Jun 2009, 15:32 (Ref:2488398)   #2785
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think prices are going to continue to fall. With the hundreds of V8 supercar chassis built and all the group A and C cars out there, there are no shortage of older top level race cars available. And not many people that can blow $500K on a car. Hence I see prices going down for a long time except for exceptional cars.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 01:08 (Ref:2488688)   #2786
Fast_Eddie
Rookie

Fast_Eddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, I am new to this forum, and would like to hear from anyone who is able to expand on the history of the STP Roadways cars of 1982-83 that were raced by Harrington, Wigston, Grice and Bond.

Particularly I'm interested in a car nicknamed "Elvis" (I'm guessing so named as it had more hits than Elvis)

It is a VH built in mid 82, crashed heavily at Oran Park at its first meeting, ran at '82 Bathurst (crashed lap 2 at The Cutting), was entered in a few ATCC rounds in 83, an AMSCAR round and the Amaroo round of the 1983 Enduro Series.

It was sold in 84 to Ken Mathews and became the Ignis Fridges car for '84 Bathurst.

I am wanting to put together a detailed history on the car so please send me a PM if you can assist me.

Thanks
Old 23 Jun 2009, 07:05 (Ref:2488787)   #2787
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Imrie VP
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 23 Jun 2009, 10:09 (Ref:2488900)   #2788
Group'C'
Racer

Australia
Hobart /Tasmania
Group'C' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum, and would like to hear from anyone who is able to expand on the history of the STP Roadways cars of 1982-83 that were raced by Harrington, Wigston, Grice and Bond.

Particularly I'm interested in a car nicknamed "Elvis" (I'm guessing so named as it had more hits than Elvis)

It is a VH built in mid 82, crashed heavily at Oran Park at its first meeting, ran at '82 Bathurst (crashed lap 2 at The Cutting), was entered in a few ATCC rounds in 83, an AMSCAR round and the Amaroo round of the 1983 Enduro Series.

It was sold in 84 to Ken Mathews and became the Ignis Fridges car for '84 Bathurst.

I am wanting to put together a detailed history on the car so please send me a PM if you can assist me.

Thanks
I have sent you a PM Eddie
Old 23 Jun 2009, 11:16 (Ref:2488955)   #2789
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group'C' View Post
I have sent you a PM Eddie
Shame we can't have any info "open" in the thread rather than in PM's!
Old 23 Jun 2009, 11:55 (Ref:2488993)   #2790
Group'C'
Racer

Australia
Hobart /Tasmania
Group'C' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz View Post
Am sure you know just as much as me on this car Camaroz ?

but I will endevour to get what I know down on paper and post it up later, also have some pics of the first time the said car turned a wheel at Calder with Garth Wigston behind the wheel.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 12:17 (Ref:2489010)   #2791
Fast_Eddie
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz View Post
No secrets here. I now own the car, and want to detail its history and hopefully speak to some people who were around it between 82-84.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2489125)   #2792
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not to take the spotlight off the Roadways car,

I came across this pic of a DJR Sierra, out of curiosity where is it at? (its got XMO rather than Ultra Hi on the side...)

Old 23 Jun 2009, 18:02 (Ref:2489216)   #2793
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post

I came across this pic of a DJR Sierra, out of curiosity where is it at? (its got XMO rather than Ultra Hi on the side...)

That's gotta be one of the very early ones maybe?
Old 23 Jun 2009, 22:33 (Ref:2489422)   #2794
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No secrets here. I now own the car, and want to detail its history and hopefully speak to some people who were around it between 82-84.
Congrats! No issue with "secrets" but to hint to you that there is more likely to be more info generated by triggering responses by open posts!
Old 23 Jun 2009, 23:04 (Ref:2489441)   #2795
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post

I've come across the same photo, too. I'm pretty sure it's a photo of DJR's show car, taken at the Amaroo Park ATCC round in 1988. The show car was DJR2, Hansford's LHD car from the year before. Maybe they didn't get around to putting the "Ultra Hi" back on after removing the "DDB Needham" from Wellington?
Old 24 Jun 2009, 03:43 (Ref:2489498)   #2796
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Thanks
Hi Eddie,

go to www.autopics.com.au and click on "what's new" there are several pics of STP Commodores, maybe yours?
Old 24 Jun 2009, 08:03 (Ref:2489566)   #2797
Fast_Eddie
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
Hi Eddie,

go to www.autopics.com.au and click on "what's new" there are several pics of STP Commodores, maybe yours?
Thanks David, I believe the #21 car is mine. There are about 4 photos of it, one very sad one on the back of the truck.

I will post up the 82-83 events from the log book to see if anyone has any info.

Regards

Ed
Old 24 Jun 2009, 08:59 (Ref:2489606)   #2798
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A couple of screenshots from the '83 Silastic 300.

Note the Elvis sticker on the dash.

Old 24 Jun 2009, 09:01 (Ref:2489608)   #2799
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
The Car-Trek VL is PE006, the former Tony Noske car hence why it still in Kalari Transport orange and yellow.

Speaking of Car-Trek VLs, Bob Jones purchased the 87 Bathurst winner from Chris Lambden in 89 and according to the 91 Great Race annual had by this stage returned it to HDT carby specs.

In 92, a second Car-Trek VL was entered in the enduros for Robbie Ker & Don Watson painted green with Tic Tac sponsorship. Does anybody know the history of this chassis?
There were three Car-Trek Commodores; the original ex-HDT Beaurepaires car updated to Walkinshaw spec; this was last used by Lambden at the '89 Oran Park ATCC round, where he badly damaged the rear of the car.

The ex-HDT car never saw active race service again, being replaced with a brand-new Walkinshaw VL in time for the Sandown 500. This is the car that Bob Jones would use most in Car-Trek and Ampol liveries.

The ex-Noske car in the pictures was used by Jones in the early '90 ATCC rounds, and was also the '92 Bathurst Tic-Tac car.

I get the feeling we've gone through this before.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 09:44 (Ref:2489628)   #2800
dougcharli
Rookie

dougcharli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spoke to DJR today and emailed a pic of the sierra - am awaiting a reply