Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Oct 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2561781)   #2976
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
1980 ATCC Winner
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 15 Oct 2009, 09:21 (Ref:2561797)   #2977
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The Bowdens should buy that car.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 09:37 (Ref:2561810)   #2978
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bailey View Post
The Bowdens should buy that car.
I think that both of the prominant Queensland Collectors have more than enough cars, would you agree?

Every time a Group C comes on the market, it is not the responsibility of the Bowdens, or if it is a car with MHDT heritage, Peter Champion to put their hands in their pocket.

It would be nice to see the car go to a collector/enthusiast that does not have a huge collection and therefore not have to make the decision of which car to take to a certain meeting/festival. That way, the VB will be seen more often.

CCC
Old 15 Oct 2009, 10:04 (Ref:2561823)   #2979
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I disagree, why put it in a museum? Let's see it in action.
BTW, nice Rowan.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 10:49 (Ref:2561847)   #2980
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it missing a rear wing?
Old 15 Oct 2009, 11:11 (Ref:2561861)   #2981
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
Is it missing a rear wing?
No, rear spoilers weren't homologated for the Commodore until the 1980 Hardie-Ferodo 1000
Old 16 Oct 2009, 02:45 (Ref:2562431)   #2982
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone tell me the origins of the 1975 Bathurst winner ? In debate over on Biante & I always thought that Gown Hindhaugh built the car, however one member has said it was a HDT car, although I can find no reference to that.

Aparently the car was destroyed in a road accident in the early 80s

Cheers David

Last edited by david5; 16 Oct 2009 at 03:05. Reason: brain death
Old 16 Oct 2009, 02:57 (Ref:2562436)   #2983
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Isn't it in the Bathurst museum?
Old 16 Oct 2009, 03:06 (Ref:2562440)   #2984
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
Isn't it in the Bathurst museum?
Sorry typo, I meant the 1975 car, have fixed & yes the 76 car is in the museum.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 03:07 (Ref:2562441)   #2985
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by david5 View Post
Can anyone tell me the origins of the 1975 Bathurst winner ? In debate over on Biante & I always thought that Gown Hindhaugh built the car, however one member has said it was a HDT car, although I can find no reference to that.

Aparently the car was destroyed in a road accident in the early 80s

Cheers David
It was built at Gown Hindaugh by Bob Gracie, Garnett Bateson and Les Small.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 04:52 (Ref:2562470)   #2986
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz View Post
It was built at Gown Hindaugh by Bob Gracie, Garnett Bateson and Les Small.
Cheers Chuck, had a beer with Garnett 18 years ago & didn't know his background then, back when he looked after the Youldens Falcons.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 07:07 (Ref:2562518)   #2987
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe View Post
I disagree, why put it in a museum? Let's see it in action.
BTW, nice Rowan.
spot on,I don't understand why one would want to own a historic touring car and not race it.if I ever jumped back into it and it was car with history, I'd race it .After all most of them have been hit in the past,some even reshelled.
IMO its a sad way for a race car to end up in a shed or touring around in demo's.Unless one is in it to make money.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 07:56 (Ref:2562540)   #2988
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elvis doing a perpetual lap of EC in PhotoShop...

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 16 Oct 2009, 09:51 (Ref:2562599)   #2989
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
spot on,I don't understand why one would want to own a historic touring car and not race it.if I ever jumped back into it and it was car with history, I'd race it .After all most of them have been hit in the past,some even reshelled.
IMO its a sad way for a race car to end up in a shed or touring around in demo's.Unless one is in it to make money.
Rob, David,

First up, I did not mention "shed" or "Museum". It was collector/enthusist.

I would love to race this car but simply...... I can't afford it.

I came into ownership of this car as the ex Jim Keogh VH Group C/VK Group A.

Group C was of interest but I had already invested heavily (for me) in my two Monza’s and the Commodore was to be another project when I got around to it.

Once I discovered the MHDT connection, (originally thought to be the 1980 Bathurst winner), I then became involved to the point of obsession. I know this has upset people along the way, for whatever reason, and I to have had frustration, especially as we progressed to the CAMS CoD for the car. I thought all of the evidence I had pointed to the 1980 Bathurst winner.

The CAMS Historic Commission have decreed that the car is the ex Benson-Brown car (MHDT Commodore Chassis 1, re-shelled in late 1982). I have taken the CAMS Historic Commission decision on board, rectified the car and now await their decision for a CoD.

I have mentioned “obsession” before. Since the initial decision by the CAMS Historic Commission of the origins of my car, I continued to search for the “other one” (MHDT Commodore Chassis 2, 1980 Bathurst Winner). I found it. I now own it.

To this end, as I have stated before, I cannot afford this! I cannot afford to “race” the VB let alone hold onto it. I don’t own a tow vehicle or trailer. Every time I take it somewhere it costs a Tilt Tray (many thanks to Evil and J & R Towing).

I need to recover my “investment” in the VB. Don’t get me wrong, I love the car and it has bought me, my mate Wastegate and all of those that have contributed, much pride in the resto that we have done. I want to get back to the Monza’s and, as it has transpired, we’ll get around to MHDT Commodore Chassis 2 when it suits us.

That is why the VB is for sale. Not to make money. To re-invest.

Last edited by Camaroz; 16 Oct 2009 at 10:02.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 10:08 (Ref:2562608)   #2990
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz View Post
Rob, David,

First up, I did not mention "shed" or "Museum". It was collector/enthusist.

I would love to race this car but simply...... I can't afford it.

I came into ownership of this car as the ex Jim Keogh VH Group C/VK Group A.

Group C was of interest but I had already invested heavily (for me) in my two Monza’s and the Commodore was to be another project when I got around to it.

Once I discovered the MHDT connection, (originally thought to be the 1980 Bathurst winner), I then became involved to the point of obsession. I know this has upset people along the way, for whatever reason, and I to have had frustration, especially as we progressed to the CAMS CoD for the car. I thought all of the evidence I had pointed to the 1980 Bathurst winner.

The CAMS Historic Commission have decreed that the car is the ex Benson-Brown car (MHDT Commodore Chassis 1, re-shelled in late 1982). I have taken the CAMS Historic Commission decision on board, rectified the car and now await their decision for a CoD.

I have mentioned “obsession” before. Since the initial decision by the CAMS Historic Commission of the origins of my car, I continued to search for the “other one” (MHDT Commodore Chassis 2, 1980 Bathurst Winner). I found it. I now own it.

To this end, as I have stated before, I cannot afford this! I cannot afford to “race” the VB let alone hold onto it. I don’t own a tow vehicle or trailer. Every time I take it somewhere it costs a Tilt Tray (many thanks to Evil and J & R Towing).

I need to recover my “investment” in the VB. Don’t get me wrong, I love the car and it has bought me, my mate Wastegate and all of those that have contributed, much pride in the resto that we have done. I want to get back to the Monza’s and, as it has transpired, we’ll get around to MHDT Commodore Chassis 2 when it suits us.

That is why the VB is for sale. Not to make money. To re-invest.
Hi Rowan ,my comments were not directed towards yourself but others whom collect but do not race ,but each to their own.
regards Rob.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 10:11 (Ref:2562612)   #2991
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
Hi Rowan ,my comments were not directed towards yourself but others whom collect but do not race ,but each to their own.
regards Rob.
Cheers.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 11:29 (Ref:2562650)   #2992
BlueMax
Racer

BlueMax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Camaroz is this car then the one that Moffat drove at the Hang Ten 400 at Sandown in 1980
Old 16 Oct 2009, 11:57 (Ref:2562668)   #2993
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Hi Rowan, may I suggest you go back to the chemist and get a refund on that last packet of Valium, I was only suggesting that when you sell it I'd rather see it and other historic cars racing and not parked in a museum. It's only an opinion and wasn't meant to be a shot at you.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 08:09 (Ref:2563110)   #2994
Bown
Rookie

Bown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about a bit of positivity lads? Instead of kicking these "collector" people for their percieved crimes against motorsport, should we celebrate the likes of Paul Stubber who risk his amazing cars and put on epic races (Sat evening, 2009 MCM...GOLD!!!) and get **** poured all over them constantly for cheating etc? I reckon Paul would love the odd pat on the back. Des Wall and the Geoghegan Mustang, talk to him about the drama's, allegations, red tape he has had with that? Not to mention the people who were tsk tsk tsking him after he got a slight tap at the 2008? MCM. Can you win with public opinion??? He's a bloke who deserves a big pat too. Saying "good on you" and encouraging the people who do what you would like to see, is a hell of a lot more productive than booing people who don't...What a novel idea?

IMHO some old cars, like a back marker that had a couple of hits in the day, are perfect candidates for motorsport, especially when you're an amatuer hack like me and some championship winning, or iconic cars, that have survived 20-30 odd years unscathed, aren't.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 08:15 (Ref:2563111)   #2995
Bown
Rookie

Bown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTW David, I think you deserve a pat too for running your car so hard and frequently. It's a huge buzz to be on the track with cars of that stature.

Just out of curiosity, what do you race Rob and if you're not a fan of sheds, where do you store your ride?
Old 17 Oct 2009, 09:20 (Ref:2563144)   #2996
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bown View Post
BTW David, I think you deserve a pat too for running your car so hard and frequently. It's a huge buzz to be on the track with cars of that stature.

Just out of curiosity, what do you race Rob and if you're not a fan of sheds, where do you store your ride?
well I ran the following in over 20 years of historics
Elfin Mono twin cam
Brabham BT21C
Lola T87/50 with a 500hp Buick ex Hammo, (in state series)
Porsche Carrera in SC historics.
Ford Mustang '67 302. twice runner up in the VIC state series and once winner of the VIC historic touring car plate at the Island.
For a short time the ex Rosco/Tilley Boss 302.which I was happy to run even in Sports Sedans.
road cars
Porsche 993 RS bought new.
Ferrari Boxer 512 carb
Jaguar E-type ex UK period racing history
2 x Bentley Flying Spur S3s (only 2 to come here new) bought new by
Laurie O'Neill (Petes long term sponsor) the other Sir Tom Barr Smith. ect ect.
Gave up racing 5 years ago due to ,well prefer doing other things.
Now retired at 50 years old.(Self made)
IMO I can not think of one car in Australia that should not be raced.

Last edited by Rob Bailey; 17 Oct 2009 at 09:21. Reason: spell
Old 17 Oct 2009, 10:40 (Ref:2563173)   #2997
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMax View Post
Camaroz is this car then the one that Moffat drove at the Hang Ten 400 at Sandown in 1980
Yes.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 11:59 (Ref:2563194)   #2998
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How good is it that this thread about used cars gets to 200 pages!!

Old 17 Oct 2009, 14:51 (Ref:2563253)   #2999
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Nice list Rob. Thanks for the kind words Bown, I love it and wish I could aford to do more racing. BTW what is that you race?
Old 17 Oct 2009, 20:03 (Ref:2563353)   #3000
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe View Post
Nice list Rob. Thanks for the kind words Bown, I love it and wish I could aford to do more racing. BTW what is that you race?
Hi David, I live a street away from one of your fellow M3 race mates,he needs help a total BMW nutter.
other race car,fun road car and wife/tow car.
Can he be saved or does he just need to take of his glass's?