D'Ambrosio 0 0%
Other 1 1.41%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 Nov 2011, 14:09 (Ref:2992971)   #51
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Perhaps this weekend, many of the drivers were putting in top performances.
It could perhaps be scientifically proven that Heikki Kovalainen drove his car to the peak of his and it's abilities. If he did, we didn't see much of it.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 06:06 (Ref:2993799)   #52
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well Kovalainen was rubbish compared to Hamilton for the 2 years they were team-mates, so if ever Kovalainen has an outstanding drive, it was probably the car not his driving that did it.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 12:03 (Ref:2993931)   #53
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Well Kovalainen was rubbish compared to Hamilton for the 2 years they were team-mates, so if ever Kovalainen has an outstanding drive, it was probably the car not his driving that did it.
Kovalainen had a confidence issue, in much the same way that Hamilton has one now.

Kovalainen will fully admit that his performances were below par when he was at McLaren.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96586

Was Hamilton "rubbish" 'this' season? Was Kovalainen "rubbish" 'this' season?

It's quite interesting that Caterham GP are having to fight off the attentions of other teams for its top driver.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 22:21 (Ref:2994146)   #54
Zen
Rookie

Australia
Bicester
Zen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's quite interesting that Caterham GP are having to fight off the attentions of other teams for its top driver.[/QUOTE]

Thats what Caterham and Kovalainen are telling us, but what team could it be, Kovalainen is not good enough to get a drive with a top team where he would be paid like he is at Caterham and the mid table teams need drivers to pay. So I think it is just talk again. Kovalainen will see his career out with Caterham where car and driver are well matched and no pressure to perform Fernandes congratulates his drivers for finishing 18th 19th and even 20th what a drive and he gets paid.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 23:39 (Ref:2994181)   #55
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post

Thats what Caterham and Kovalainen are telling us, but what team could it be, Kovalainen is not good enough to get a drive with a top team where he would be paid like he is at Caterham and the mid table teams need drivers to pay. So I think it is just talk again. Kovalainen will see his career out with Caterham where car and driver are well matched and no pressure to perform Fernandes congratulates his drivers for finishing 18th 19th and even 20th what a drive and he gets paid.
Read the article (and others), it's Renault that have been asking for his services. No one said that he's going there. He has said that he's not.

The current Team Lotus cars aren't likely to do much better than they are doing in the hands of any other driver.

I think that because of his drives at McLaren, a lot of people are vastly underestimating Kovalainen.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 04:19 (Ref:2994234)   #56
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well it could be said he lost his confidence when at McLaren because he realised he couldn't drive as quick as Hamilton. He certainly seemed to have confidence when he was at Renault. He's only gained it back because his team-mate is a veteran who's only still in F1 because of his experience, certainly not raw race speed.

I mean it must be shattering to be a winner all throughout your career, you finally get to the top, and realise for sure, that you're not the best in the world. All of Schumacher's team-mates went through it. Webber and Massa have now realised it.

I originally had a lot of faith in Kovi's ability, I thought he'd be a new star. But I don't really buy his excuse of losing confidence. Not someone who's been racing for 2 decades.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 22:53 (Ref:2994582)   #57
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post

I mean it must be shattering to be a winner all throughout your career, you finally get to the top, and realise for sure, that you're not the best in the world. All of Schumacher's team-mates went through it. Webber and Massa have now realised it.
Sorry but that's too simplistic, whenever there's been a clear favourite or number one in a team, the other driver's always just been a support act no matter how good they are, or think they are.

The Schumacher Ferrari era was a massive example of that. His number 2's were never going to be any more than that, and there was never a driver of comparable status or talent in the other car anyway, he made sure of it.
Old 3 Dec 2011, 00:28 (Ref:2994608)   #58
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I think that because of his drives at McLaren, a lot of people are vastly underestimating Kovalainen.
Totally agree. When he was with McLaren they were all so keen to embrace Hamilton that no-one had an arm to put around Heikki when he needed it. He's the kind of guy who needs to feel loved and at Team Lotus/Caterham he is, so he's delivering great performances.

A reputable journalist (might have been Simon Strang) put his top ten on Twitter today and Heikki was #10. I'll try to find the link.
Old 3 Dec 2011, 10:08 (Ref:2994738)   #59
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've been considereding him higher than 10th for my top 10.
Old 3 Dec 2011, 15:55 (Ref:2994824)   #60
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I've been considereding him higher than 10th for my top 10.
I can't find the link now, which is frustrating, but I can remember most of it:

01. Sebastian Vettel
02. Jenson Button
03. Fernando Alonso
04. Lewis Hamilton
06. Paul di Resta
07. Adrian Sutil
08. Mark Webber
10. Heikki Kovalainen

The first four I've listed and the last two are definite. There's a chance the Force India pair were the other way around and maybe even 5 and 6. I'm struggling to rememberer the two I've left blank. Massa maybe?

I'd definitely have put Webber higher, because really it was his starts that let him down. The fact that he invariably fought back well and scored 7 fastest laps against a team-mate who likes collecting those is a recommendation.
Old 13 Dec 2011, 05:46 (Ref:2999038)   #61
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I think when Seb realised Webber had more fastest laps he turned his attention to usurping him there too.

My 10.
1. Seb V is undisputed champion
2. Alonso probably had a more difficult job than Jenson so he gets 2nd.
3. Button is a deserved 3rd, nearly 2nd.
4. Hamilton drove well enough to score wins. Had a weretched season at a difficult time. No excuses allowed but I think he still grew a lot as a person.
5th...Webber
6th I am going to say Sutil because he really did have Di Resta's legs over the last third of the season.
7th Di Resta. Very good first year
8th Rosberg A disappointment for me.
9th Schumacher. Not my favourite but some drives were good enough.
10th I'm going to go for Perez. First year, the crash at Monaco affected him physically but he came out of it. Sauber chassis not great but he drove it well.
11th....Kovy
12th (+13th)= Kobyashi and D'Ambrosio=
14th Petrov
15th Barrichello a few inspired drives but not enough to make me place him higher...