Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Oct 2007, 20:12 (Ref:2051466)   #1001
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Nope, this does it.
Old 25 Oct 2007, 20:13 (Ref:2051467)   #1002
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
They were homologated,in 67!!!
Jeez, what is happening. Minilites and FIA papers do not go together!!
Old 25 Oct 2007, 20:13 (Ref:2051469)   #1003
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
You've come 2nd again Tim :-)
Old 25 Oct 2007, 20:14 (Ref:2051471)   #1004
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff
They do apparently over here, more worried about V8's
Old 25 Oct 2007, 20:15 (Ref:2051472)   #1005
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
You've come 2nd again Tim :-)
As usual but I did get the 1000th reply
Old 25 Oct 2007, 20:20 (Ref:2051473)   #1006
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Would anyone be up for a race in the southern hemisphere sometime early 2009?
Old 25 Oct 2007, 21:07 (Ref:2051513)   #1007
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Didn't matter as it was in the BSSC Race. The best rules!!!! "period apearance to be approved by the organiser" . But they did some damn fast laptimes on minilites..........
Old 25 Oct 2007, 21:10 (Ref:2051517)   #1008
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Then we will have to charter the "bounty" right now to bring the cars over!. You could come for the 6h 2008. But only if you addapt to the drinking culture of New Zeelanders living overhere
Old 25 Oct 2007, 21:16 (Ref:2051521)   #1009
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper
"period apearance to be approved by the organiser"
i.e. "if we're short of entries and cash, we'll accept anything"

Quote:
But they did some damn fast laptimes on minilites
and what tyres?
Old 25 Oct 2007, 21:18 (Ref:2051524)   #1010
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
i.e. "if we're short of entries and cash, we'll accept anything"
No its not like that, its a culture of its own and has to be protected.

and what tyres?
Avons.....but well driven
Old 25 Oct 2007, 21:18 (Ref:2051525)   #1011
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Then we will have to charter the "bounty" right now to bring the cars over!. You could come for the 6h 2008. But only if you addapt to the drinking culture of New Zeelanders living overhere
It is a serious query. Why not, it's winter in the UK, summer here and you could combine it with a holiday.

I'm a Pom originally and could drink any Kiwi under the table Go to any sporting event over here and the longest queue is at the coffee cart!!
Old 25 Oct 2007, 21:19 (Ref:2051526)   #1012
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Avons.....but well driven
am I right in thinking Denis was driving it at some point?
Old 25 Oct 2007, 21:23 (Ref:2051532)   #1013
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
It is a serious query. Why not, it's winter in the UK, summer here and you could combine it with a holiday.

I'm a Pom originally and could drink any Kiwi under the table Go to any sporting event over here and the longest queue is at the coffee cart!!
I met a New Zeelander who can handle the poms in terms of proper beverage, but then it must be the Russian influence.???
(but what "sporting events" do you attent????)
Old 25 Oct 2007, 21:25 (Ref:2051535)   #1014
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
In terms of history it would be very appropreate (appro apro ) to do so . a Tasman revival !!!!!!!!!
Old 25 Oct 2007, 23:52 (Ref:2051599)   #1015
BossCerbera
Rookie

England
Milton Keynes
BossCerbera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
am I right in thinking Denis was driving it at some point?
Not at Spa - David Grace (owner) and me drove it. David qualified the car in the BSSC race with a 3:03.975; in the race I managed a 3:06 on heavy fuel, David posted our fastest a 3:05.4.

0-100mph that car pulls like a train!
Old 26 Oct 2007, 00:14 (Ref:2051605)   #1016
BossCerbera
Rookie

England
Milton Keynes
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Yes ,welcome Boss,Is Blanchimont a challenge in a TVR?Glad you liked the description.
Hello.

Yeah, it sure is. The old Challenge cars fly (around 500bhp/tonne) and are very fast by Blanchimont 2, which had a gravel trap in '98. Last year I could manage it flat in 5th in a Cerbera 4.5 (track day, street rubber) if I got the line perfect. No UK circuit allows the chance to four wheel drift a Cerbera flat in 5th! Didn't do it flat in the Healey although Gracee and I reckon we might be able to with a perfect line. He can go first....

I've got a few Spa videos on my YouTube channel in various cars Diablo 6.0; Cerbera 4.5, Thunder Road Cobra (wet), Gracee's Healey. Definitely my favourite circuit.
Old 26 Oct 2007, 07:22 (Ref:2051728)   #1017
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I,ll have a look at them.Spa,s everyones fav is,nt it?.Wonder what would happen with a thread on the Ring,don,t appear to be to many posters who,ve been.
Old 26 Oct 2007, 08:57 (Ref:2051799)   #1018
BossCerbera
Rookie

England
Milton Keynes
True, I think everyone who has been loves Spa.

I've not raced at the Nordschleife, only done 16 laps so far on open Touristfahrten days. It's a different sort of challenge isn't it?
Old 26 Oct 2007, 09:05 (Ref:2051804)   #1019
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally,20 odd Kilometers of Heaven!.The problem with film etc is it tend,s to flaten the incline,s and declines.If you like Spa ,you,ll adore it there but it doe,snt have the same kind of attmosphere though,sure,all the locals are friendly/helpfull but it,s just not Spa.One of those circuits you just have to do.
Old 26 Oct 2007, 10:36 (Ref:2051874)   #1020
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
In mine I lift as late as possible, because it will step away if I don't. there's a pic from this year on one site (can't recall) where I'm exiting with the nearside rear wheel just off the ground (judging by the shadows), so I don't think I'm any slouch through there.

But some cars can do it flat, and the MGB I drove is one of them. It's all down to balance. I believe Gordon Streeter can also do it in his Anglia.
I'm flat in the Cortina and due to the long diff we had in for Spa, needed a shift down to third right at the top of the hill to keep it on cam and pulling for the start of the straight.

The Corvette I didn't really get enough time in it before it minced 2 gearboxes but dare say 450hp, 1200kg and balls the size I have mean a lift would definitely be required.

The Elva is a lift, down change going in and very delicate steering not to disrupt it. Having spun Drabble's Merlyn there last year and almost hitting the wall at the exit of the pit lane I had a clear vision of how not to do it each time I tackled it this year!

So my point is that each car is different and requires a different approach.
Old 26 Oct 2007, 10:55 (Ref:2051887)   #1021
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Absolutly,you should "Know" a car in two lap,s,then you can drive it how it wants to be.Sometime,s though you can come across a rogue which only bites you on the limit.
Old 26 Oct 2007, 12:56 (Ref:2051979)   #1022
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
What sort of cars, historic or modern or a mix? I could be up for it and know of a couple of people who may be interested but we have historic an replicas.
Old 26 Oct 2007, 13:09 (Ref:2051984)   #1023
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
What sort of cars, historic or modern or a mix? I could be up for it and know of a couple of people who may be interested but we have historic an replicas.
I'd be a starter for NZ!
Old 26 Oct 2007, 21:06 (Ref:2052372)   #1024
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
As this is still the Spa 5/6 HR thread as an aside, I walked round the new "complex" part of the circuit after the Barry SS race looking for my clutch slave cylinder that had fell of halfway through. I did find it but I was amazed at all the other stuff laying about the track like brake pads/nuts n bolts/ all sorts of retaining clips/ a con rod/ part of a sump/tons of fibreglass and a fair bit of a lifeline extinguisher system !. As I was there for the next weekend, I was watching practice from the old pitlane when a BMW from the Dutch Supercars blew up on full noise and a con rod finished up in the grandstand opposite after being hit by a Caterham a few secs later !
Luckily there was no one watching from that side at the time otherwise it could have been "chips n mayonnaise n conrod "
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Oct 2007, 07:23 (Ref:2052523)   #1025
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Gordon,It,s a wonder that the circuit owners everywhere don,t have an end of season "Tool" sale,let alone the spare nuts and bolts lying around!