Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 9 Feb 2008, 19:39 (Ref:2125063)   #1
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Group A in Malaysia, Thailand and other Asian nations

From this site http://www.volvogrupp-a.se/historia.htm I see that Volvo won a triple of championships during 1987, taking the Thailand, Malaysian and Southeast Touring Car Championship. Swede Per-Gunnar “Peggen” Andersson being the winner of one or all three titles – I don’t know. This feat was repeated in 1988. My best guess is that races counting towards all three titles overlapped to some degree.

Henry Lee winning the 1.6 litre title in 1987. Can’t find the source, though.

One of the Winfield “Godzillas” went to this area some time during 1992. I have a half remembered image of a Swedish “Hansson” challenging the Skyline in his BMW M3 Sport Evolution. By the late 1980’s there was a liaison be twin local race organisers and the Swedish Formula 3 championship, so…

In the Ford Sierra RS500 thread it’s mentioned that Graham Goode was present at some stage with an RS500. A race at Johor on April 26 1992 is mentioned in Autosport. Gianfranco Brancatelli also raced in the region at some stage. Actually I think "Branca's" driving was beyond the 1992 lapse of homologations of the RS500.

The Macau Guia races should also be a connection. Regulars like Charles Kwan and Henry Lee were regulary racing in the Japanese series in the early 1990's.

This is part of my research into 1980’s/1990’s Group A racing around the world, and should end up as the ultimate book on the subject – you’re warned. Any contribution is welcome and will be dearly appreciated.

Jesper
Old 10 Feb 2008, 05:23 (Ref:2125401)   #2
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Macau

Results for Macau www.macau.grandprix.gov.mo

Not much detail.
Old 10 Feb 2008, 15:18 (Ref:2125780)   #3
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Mach 5

A number of BTCC drivers have been invited to race in Malaysia, sponsored by the national oil company Petronas.
Dave Brodie I believe was invited in 1989 - 1990.
Graham Hathaway raced out there 1991 - 1993 and here is a picture of him on the grid at the Pasir Gudang circuit:
Graham Goode raced in Malaysia in the 1992 - 1994 seasons, here is a picture of his car on the grid at Pasir Gudang:

Hathaway & Goode made up a 2 car team, and they contested Malaysian rounds of the South East Asian Touring Car Championship, plus other saloon/sports car races at the same meetings.
Most of the races visited by the UK pair were held at the Pasir Gudang circuit near to Johor Bharu, but they also paid one visit to the Shah Alam cicuit in Kuala Lumpur.
Here is a picture of both cars on the grid there:
Old 10 Feb 2008, 15:56 (Ref:2125796)   #4
racer2_uk
Rookie

United Kingdom
racer2_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Viva GT, thanks for posting the Malaysia grid photo's, they are the first I have seen of my car in Malaysia.
You can just make out the scrutineering stickers on the cage in the rear window, they are still there.

Andy
Old 10 Feb 2008, 19:14 (Ref:2125896)   #5
ian beckett
Racer

ian beckett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone have pictures of the M3's which ran in the Far Eastern championships?There is clearly a Castrol backed car seen on the grid along with the Sierras.
Old 10 Feb 2008, 22:16 (Ref:2126054)   #6
BILTEL
Racer

England
Brackley, centre of the Earth
BILTEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very nice.....
ex Starion #20
Now building BMW 535i
for the 360, CTCRC Pre 93's
Old 12 Feb 2008, 21:51 (Ref:2127501)   #7
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you, guys, for the contributions so far. Here's a bit more.

From September 17 1992 Autosport tells that Graham Goode just have won a round of the South East Asian Touring Car Championship at Johor, beating three Nissan Skylines and Graham Hathaway. I guess the ex-Winfield Skyline from Fuji '92 wasn't the only one running in Asian.
On December 6 Goode won his forth and final victory of his programme in as many races in the east.

Jesper

Last edited by Jesper OH; 12 Feb 2008 at 21:55.
Old 22 Feb 2008, 10:50 (Ref:2134883)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hathway's car looks like an ex Trackstar from '89 or was it just resprayed as his original '88 BTCC mount was yellow IIRC?
Old 23 Feb 2008, 11:16 (Ref:2135710)   #9
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Hathway's car looks like an ex Trackstar from '89 or was it just resprayed as his original '88 BTCC mount was yellow IIRC?
ex-Trakstar as I recall.

IIRC, at the early season 1-hour BTCC race at Donington, Trakstar ran 2 cars- Gravett/Blomqvist in a plain white (new?) car, and Smith/Hathaway in a red & white car. As I remember Hathaway had bought the red/white car from Trakstar and used it for the rest of the year- don't know what happened to the original yellow car, presumably sold on, but where?

Trakstar had lost the Cartel/NEC sponsorship from 1989 and struggled through the 1990 season with a variety of race-to-race or short-term deals, (Qubie Computers, Champion, Dianetics, Ford Credit etc), so Smith only appeared in a few races, again in a white car, or sharing the Gravett car at the late-season Brands 1-hour race.

I thought I had a pic of the red/white car at Brands with Hathaways regular Soans Ford dealer sponsorship, but can't find it right now.
Old 24 Feb 2008, 15:44 (Ref:2136663)   #10
racer2_uk
Rookie

United Kingdom
racer2_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Chunterer and Ka, the Hathaway car is the '89 BTCC Gravett car, DJR1.

I have the Malaysian race decals still on the car.

Andy
Old 19 Mar 2008, 10:36 (Ref:2156375)   #11
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
February 1993 Performance Ford Magazine

I've just found this which could be of interest:
http://www.grahamgoode.com/media/mag...ford_feb93.jpg
Old 9 Oct 2012, 09:29 (Ref:3148713)   #12
Graham Clayton
Racer

Australia
South Windsor, NSW Australia
Graham Clayton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

According to Graham Hathaway's website, he won the 1992 Malaysian Touring Car Championship and was 2nd in the 1993 Championship, driving a Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth on both occasions.