Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Apr 2018, 04:59 (Ref:3817108)   #76
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
In regards to safety the most frightening aspect of the weekend was during the safety car period.

Drivers pushing hard under the safety car along the main straight with cars exiting pitlane and then having the aforementioned driver having to slow as to not run into the exiting cars.

The fact that drivers are allowed to drive at unabated speed under the safety car is almost criminal - especially when other simple (such as the F1 rules) methods are available to stamp out this reckless practice.
Yeah it's funny how worried some are about pit lane infractions, yet no mention of a practice that is surely orders of magnitude more dangerous. Not quite sure why steps haven't been taken to eliminate it???
Old 24 Apr 2018, 05:06 (Ref:3817109)   #77
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Yeah it's funny how worried some are about pit lane infractions, yet no mention of a practice that is surely orders of magnitude more dangerous. Not quite sure why steps haven't been taken to eliminate it???
why is it more dangerous? I would have thought significantly less dangerous.
Old 24 Apr 2018, 05:46 (Ref:3817111)   #78
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah I've always found the practice of allowing cars to drive at full speed to the back of the SC queue to be a strange one.
Old 24 Apr 2018, 05:50 (Ref:3817113)   #79
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam3s View Post
Yeah I've always found the practice of allowing cars to drive at full speed to the back of the SC queue to be a strange one.
they dont drive at full speed though, they follow the car in front not being able to pass and thus reducing the risk
Old 24 Apr 2018, 07:25 (Ref:3817119)   #80
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
they dont drive at full speed though, they follow the car in front not being able to pass and thus reducing the risk
They do follow the car in front, yes. At 99.99% of full race pace. Don't try to tell me differently, I have seen the data with my own eyes on more than one occasion, at multiple circuits.
Old 24 Apr 2018, 09:17 (Ref:3817135)   #81
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Need to implement some SC deltas at the very least.

They did try an SC speed limiter at one point, but nothing since.
Old 24 Apr 2018, 10:03 (Ref:3817142)   #82
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's quite situational. In a situation where there are pit stops occuring, most of the time cars will drive back at full pace to get their stops done and try to reduce the amount of cars behind who aren't stopping from jumping them and vice versa. I see this all the time in many different series as the rules allow it and there's every chance you can either win or lose out if you back off too much.

The problem for me with the rule is sometimes in a serious accident the SC will be deployed and some drivers won't take enough caution in the double yellow waved zones where the incident is leading to some dangerous situations. The solution is quite an easy one and F1 employs it successfully. That being said I don't recall off the top of my head any situations in Supercars which were a bit iffy as a result and that might have a lot to do with the quality of drivers in the field but in some junior formula it gets pretty sketchy at time.
Old 24 Apr 2018, 10:15 (Ref:3817145)   #83
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
It's quite situational. In a situation where there are pit stops occuring, most of the time cars will drive back at full pace to get their stops done and try to reduce the amount of cars behind who aren't stopping from jumping them and vice versa. I see this all the time in many different series as the rules allow it and there's every chance you can either win or lose out if you back off too much.

The problem for me with the rule is sometimes in a serious accident the SC will be deployed and some drivers won't take enough caution in the double yellow waved zones where the incident is leading to some dangerous situations. The solution is quite an easy one and F1 employs it successfully. That being said I don't recall off the top of my head any situations in Supercars which were a bit iffy as a result and that might have a lot to do with the quality of drivers in the field but in some junior formula it gets pretty sketchy at time.

Good response, and thus the reason its not an issue in supercars and pitlane is more dangerous even at 40 kmh
Old 24 Apr 2018, 11:39 (Ref:3817155)   #84
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Good response, and thus the reason its not an issue in supercars and pitlane is more dangerous even at 40 kmh
Who can forget the BJR debacle at Bathurst a few years ago? That was the wake up call the sport should have heeded but didn't.

Incidents under safety car conditions have happened.

I would hate to think that a driver could be trapped in a car on fire without assistance because it is unsafe to enter the circuit because drivers are still driving at ten-tenths.
Old 24 Apr 2018, 21:24 (Ref:3817249)   #85
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Who can forget the BJR debacle at Bathurst a few years ago? That was the wake up call the sport should have heeded but didn't.

you would hate to think that, and thats why it is not a problem. we have these things called "radios" that allow people to be talked too quickly and which cause drivers to slow down for incidents like that

Thus we dont have problems in Supercars and thus pitlane is much more dangerous which is why its a 40 zone
Old 25 Apr 2018, 00:01 (Ref:3817258)   #86
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
you would hate to think that, and thats why it is not a problem. we have these things called "radios" that allow people to be talked too quickly and which cause drivers to slow down for incidents like that
I'd suggest the radios are used to tell the drivers to push under yellow flags too.

Formula One has radios but requires drivers to slow to a delta time under safety car conditions.

A safety car is deployed because conditions on the track are deemed to dangerous to allow the race to continue under normal conditions - but it is still okay to drive flat out to make a pitstop and catch-up to the safety car.
Old 25 Apr 2018, 02:32 (Ref:3817264)   #87
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:

A safety car is deployed because conditions on the track are deemed to dangerous to allow the race to continue under normal conditions - but it is still okay to drive flat out to make a pitstop and catch-up to the safety car.
thats not why we have safety cars, or at least very rarely is that the reason.

James Courtneys car was parked on the side of the pit entry on the weekend, It was perfectly safe to race on with waving yellows, however to move the car and allow the race to go back to normal racing conditions , people needed to go back on the track, Once the field was brought under the control of the safety car then they allow people to go on the track. that is the system we have

It remains much more dangerous in pitlane which is why we have 40km/h

By the way, your system just changed the race results in sunday's race significantly, as some cars had pitted before the yellow flag and others hadnt,
Old 25 Apr 2018, 03:07 (Ref:3817267)   #88
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I would hate to think that a driver could be trapped in a car on fire without assistance because it is unsafe to enter the circuit because drivers are still driving at ten-tenths.
Whincup ran off the track while pushing under Safety Car conditions at Hell Corner towards the end of Bathurst in 2014 as well, lost the lead to Winterbottom in the process

It is a problem that has been around for a while, but Supercars and CAMS seem to have no interest in fixing it, despite the likes of F1, WEC and Crevantic having alternate systems, and obviously the American system for NASCAR, Indycar etc... involving closing the pits.

It will unfortunately take a major incident to force any change to the current procedure of allowing Supercar drivers to push at full speed to get back to the pits under safety car conditions. If the Supercar races weren't so pitstop focused, this wouldn't be as much of an issue.
Old 25 Apr 2018, 23:54 (Ref:3817428)   #89
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any truth in the rumour that Mr Kelly’s Nissan was given a very thorough going over by officials after the event?
Lots of measuring and weighing taking place by officials for nearly an hour or so, another team protesting?
Old 26 Apr 2018, 00:15 (Ref:3817430)   #90
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't surprise me given their performance was out of the ordinary that we come to expect from the Nissan boys.
Old 26 Apr 2018, 00:17 (Ref:3817431)   #91
Phillip Ireland
Rookie

Phillip Ireland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:

Aha ! Was that where Dale Wood ran his team mate up the date crossing the top of the hill under safety car with a full-course yellow ? He then blamed radio problems as the cause !
I thought at the time he should have been instantly sacked and his cards marked never to drive a supercar again, yet it hardly raised a mention and nobody subsequently seemed at all fazed about what could have been a major shocker for all sorts of reasons.
Baffling, to me anyway.
Old 26 Apr 2018, 07:08 (Ref:3817454)   #92
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Any truth in the rumour that Mr Kelly’s Nissan was given a very thorough going over by officials after the event?
Lots of measuring and weighing taking place by officials for nearly an hour or so, another team protesting?
Don't know about another team protesting but it's common practice for at least 1 car at random to get a very thorough checking each race meeting (on top of all the other checks done over the weekend). May well have been Mr Kelly's car on the weekend.
Old 26 Apr 2018, 10:02 (Ref:3817481)   #93
v8man
Racer

v8man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Ireland View Post
Aha ! Was that where Dale Wood ran his team mate up the date crossing the top of the hill under safety car with a full-course yellow ? He then blamed radio problems as the cause !
I thought at the time he should have been instantly sacked and his cards marked never to drive a supercar again, yet it hardly raised a mention and nobody subsequently seemed at all fazed about what could have been a major shocker for all sorts of reasons.
Baffling, to me anyway.
Very hard for them to give him any penalty when they have given C Lowndes a penalty for driving back to the pits too slow as he did not want to double stack but the officials deemed that he gained an advantage but doing so
Old 26 Apr 2018, 10:22 (Ref:3817484)   #94
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8man View Post
Very hard for them to give him any penalty when they have given C Lowndes a penalty for driving back to the pits too slow as he did not want to double stack but the officials deemed that he gained an advantage but doing so
they have changed that rule now.