Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Mar 2003, 06:39 (Ref:524162)   #1
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
4 Drivers

I have noticed in the last few years a trend for teams to have 4 drivers per car in 24 hour races. At Bathurst last year the majority were 4 driver cars, and there were some at the Spa 24 Hours as well.

Anyone know the reason for this, there was a time when only 2 were required for Le Mans
Old 4 Mar 2003, 07:12 (Ref:524179)   #2
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Believe you can still run 2 drivers, regs saying that no driver can drive more than 50% of the race distance.

Having 4 drivers reduces the individual cost per driver and keeps each driver fresher for longer, some teams seem to bring in a driver for the night or Dawn/dusk periods
Old 4 Mar 2003, 08:40 (Ref:524213)   #3
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that Le Mans became that much harder on the driver after all the chicanes were put in. They could "relax" whilst on the Mulsanne. Before the mid 50's there were a few instances of one driver going the distance alone, Pierre Levegh in fact, very nearly won in 1952 until tiredness caused him to (I think) miss a gear and over rev the engine.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 09:08 (Ref:524234)   #4
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Another factor is money - a team can raise more cash with more drivers
Old 4 Mar 2003, 12:32 (Ref:524413)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The four-driver lark seems to be an American thing. Daytona regularly sees four drivers in each car, Le Mans very rarely (never?).
Old 4 Mar 2003, 13:19 (Ref:524454)   #6
lemans_henrik
Rookie

lemans_henrik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My reading before bed is at the moment the Le Mans regulations for 2003. In the "Suplementary Regulations" in ยง 6.1.3 it says that
" 3 drivers maximum per car :
a/ A driver can be nominated on one car only ;
b/ Reserve drivers are not permitted."

So there is actually a rule saying maximum 3 drivers pr. car.

By the way, the regulations are very informative to read. They can be downloaded from the www.lemans.org site.

Henrik
www.24h-le-mans.dk
Old 5 Mar 2003, 02:40 (Ref:525184)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by iucrmh
Pierre Levegh in fact, very nearly won in 1952 until tiredness caused him to (I think) miss a gear and over rev the engine.
In the 24th hour, no less.

Of course, he's more famously known for the horrific crash of '55.

I've just been reading Brian Laban's excellent book, Le Mans, and he details other races where there were iron man performances. The most driving by a winning driver (I've just got to 1960, so I don't know if there are others) was 1950 winners Louis and Jean-Louis Rosier. Louis (pere) drove about 23h40m, while J-L (fils) drove the remainder.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 10 Mar 2003, 06:01 (Ref:530947)   #8
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These races often have pay drivers who have less experience and are not as fit as the full time steerers.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 08:15 (Ref:531009)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There were instances of two drivers at Le Mans as late as the 80's. I recall Brundle and Nielsen running as a duo in the Jag.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 10:26 (Ref:531107)   #10
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
There were instances of two drivers at Le Mans as late as the 80's. I recall Brundle and Nielsen running as a duo in the Jag.
In fact there were three cars starting last year (2002) with only two drivers, due to the non-qualification of the third driver, I think one of the 360 Modenas, a Saleen and a ROC-Reynard.

Didn't Wayne Taylor start as the only driver of the BRM in the early 90's. I think he was going to drive up to his stint limit, stop, rest, start again, etc. Car didn't last long enough to try that though.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 12:06 (Ref:531222)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I'd forgotten about the occasional non-qualification. Was it 92 when the BRM ran at Le Mans and only Taylor qualified it? The ACO wouldn't relax the regs to allow the other two drivers to run (I think Toivonen was one of them). Sorry, a bit vague as I'm at work () and haven't got my sources available to me!
Old 10 Mar 2003, 12:09 (Ref:531228)   #12
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
That's interesting, in a bizarre way. What was the point of Taylor running solo? The car would be stationary in the pits while he napped?? Seems a bit of a waste of time... oh, sorry, he was running a BRM. I repeated myself there, then (arf).
Old 10 Mar 2003, 12:42 (Ref:531263)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
The car was literally straight out of the box. 92 was a bad year for the ACO, entry-wise (28 starters, wasn't it?) and the team had problems with (IIRC) gearbox bolts in practice, severely limiting their running. They obviously thought it was useful to run the car for as long as they could in the race, as an extended test session.

Although the car was out pretty quickly, I always thought it was a nice looker. Of course, it re-appeared a few years later with the roof chopped off - and ran no better!
Old 10 Mar 2003, 13:41 (Ref:531355)   #14
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Does anyone have a pic of the BRM?
Old 10 Mar 2003, 16:24 (Ref:531602)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yes, I've got a few, as the car came to rest initially in front of the Maison Blanche grandstand where I was sitting. I'll try and dig one out later (at work at the moment).
Old 10 Mar 2003, 16:58 (Ref:531668)   #16
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BRM? Not British Racing Motors? At any rate, it sounds almost as woeful as the last BRM F1 cars anyway.

Four drivers, seems a perfectly good idea. Hey, someone like Mercedes if they returned, could hire David Coulthard to Qualify and start the race, and then have three regular LM drivers for the rest of it!
Old 11 Mar 2003, 01:51 (Ref:532297)   #17
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sascha and Lucas drove their Alex Job 23 car without a third guy at Sebring last year because they said they could not find a third driver they both liked. They won their class too but they looked as if they'd been dragged through the narrow end of a knot hole.

I daresay that Brabs and Mags would not have minded being a 4 car team the year Mario Andretti was their teammate.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 01:59 (Ref:532302)   #18
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
4 drivers became common during the 1980s, when it seemed the US was producing almost a surplus of road racing talent, CART, Trans-Am and IMSA were all immensly popular, and real team sponsorship was plentiful (not these personal drivers sponsors for pay hacks, but real sponsors like motor oil companies, tobacco, beer, and other consumer goods).

It's rare today, but when it does show up it's simply because 4 pay drivers have to put in less money each than 3.

How low the mighty have fallen.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 12:24 (Ref:532569)   #19
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Didn't Bob Wollek have to drive Sebring in 2000 (?) pretty much solo because Sascha Maassen had collapsed with heat exhaustion? That's Bob Wollek (50-something) and Sascha Maassen (about 30). How we miss Bob...
Old 11 Mar 2003, 13:17 (Ref:532615)   #20
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that the P351 (with BRM V12):

and the top-chopped P301 (with Nissan turbo engine):

Old 11 Mar 2003, 13:25 (Ref:532631)   #21
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dyson have taken it the opposite way and contested Daytona twice with five drivers in one car, winning in 99.

And I thought the BRM with a roof was a nice looking car

if a little too much too late.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 13:35 (Ref:532643)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I thought bopth the BRM's were good lookers.

Beat the Audi's on looks any day......
Old 11 Mar 2003, 14:12 (Ref:532689)   #23
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by egor
Dyson have taken it the opposite way and contested Daytona twice with five drivers in one car...
Seven, even,
At Daytona, that's legal. At Le Mans, it isn't.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 08:36 (Ref:534804)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Seven! Where's the logic in that?
Old 13 Mar 2003, 08:57 (Ref:534814)   #25
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
They were only four when the race started...