Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Sep 2005, 07:08 (Ref:1417591)   #1
SetikX
Racer

SetikX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luck or ...

WITHOUT turning this to a bash thread, I have a question;

JPM, and to a lesser extent Webber has recieved some terrible luck this season. Webber is percieved as being involved with alot of incididents including the other last sunday. JPM has had terrible 'luck' overtaking backmarkers.

My question is this, in both cases is it purely luck? I am getting kind of tired with people saying drivers have bad luck. Sure, Kimi has had SOME mechanical failures which would be disheartening, and he has made some errors, but thats mechanical. Webber and JPM have wheel to wheel bad luck. I dont believe there is such a thing.

What do you think? Is some of it up to driving style? If so, how long can we blame luck for it? If webber and JPM are still being caught up in incidents next year, will we forgive them and blame luck?
Old 27 Sep 2005, 07:29 (Ref:1417604)   #2
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is an element of luck in all sports. Using your two examples, Webber was unlucky to get caught up in the AP/DC incident - so that was bad luck - on other occasions perhaps it has been decision making and assessing the situation - same goes for JPM and the TM incident.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 07:37 (Ref:1417608)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think that modern F1 cars 'attract' bad luck due to their aerodynamics and some drivers, due to their 'press on' style are likely to suffer more than others, However, I dislike generalisations and you have to analyse each incident on the facts. I would say that Mark has been overdriving to compensate for a Williams, which has for the most part, performed poorly during the season, and that Juan Pablo has had, on occasions, to drive in a style out of character, as well as try to perform at the level of Kimi. I believe that in the second half of the season he has been successful at the latter. The trouble is that these drivers are also both 'high profile' and their actions maybe get more scrutinised than some others. We shouldn't get too carried away by tarring them with either 'bad luck' or 'accident prone' tags at this stage in their careers.

Contributors to this thread will do well to remember that bashing is frowned upon, so lets keep the posts constructive.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 14:53 (Ref:1419034)   #4
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone (ITV commentator couple years back) once said that a true champion makes his own luck.

Refered to Michael who has normaly been lucky (when he spins te car can go on of stuff like that).

The thought behind it being that if you work hard (and smart) luck will come to you.

Worth thinking about I'd say (not that I am saying that poor Johnny Herbert/ Jos or Alesi didn't word hard).

Try to be kind with the reply please