Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 10 May 2007, 09:18 (Ref:1910174)   #26
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by petestenning
Hi Gregor,

Do you know where Martin lives now ?

His Group 1 Camaro was sold to Gerry Marshall it had one of Stuart Mathwells engines in it, The one with the welded block that we knew nothing about till a Silverstone round when we had smoke billowing from one bank of cylinders. When we removed the heads we found a weld had been blown out of the block.

The engine was returned to Mathwells and on its return was fitted back and the vehicle sold on.

I then believe that the cars engine let go again with Gerry at the wheel, due to the block being welded up again.

But memory could be playing tricks.

Pete
Yes he lives near Gamlingay and is very invloved with Gerry Johnstone, hence why I know!! I could pm you numbers if you need them. I never really knew Martin that well and have now had the chance to speak to him about the Camaros, Dolomites, Rovers that he raced and a few other bits too.

Off the top of my head I can't remember too much about the Camaro Dad had and to be honest the only information I have is what Dad wrote at the time, as he never really mentioned it, it was one of many cars he drove/owned!!
Old 10 May 2007, 09:23 (Ref:1910178)   #27
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Barley
... One and the same!.. and your father set up my other camaro (at Mallory Park) and then took me round Mallory in a TVR ..in the wet.. at a speed which defied the laws of physics on a wet surface!.. I will never forget it!!..
I did indeed speak to martin some time back.. helped me with some really good info..
I don't recall Gerry driving a camaro "in period" (any other info?) nor a scottish camaro.. any other titbits would be welcome !!!
Jeff, I think we met at Goodwood and somewhere else that escapes me now!! Hope all is well with you. Dad always loved a yank tank with the handlebars on the wrong side!!

If you need any further info from Martin he seems like a nice guy and I could always pm you his number if you don't have it.

As I've said in my post above the only info is what he wrote in his CCC column and I think it was mentioned in OHFTB & possibly a picture in Competition Driving too but I'll check. It was supposed to be a big proper drive at the time but it all fell through; I'll dig out the info I have and will let you know.
Old 10 May 2007, 19:46 (Ref:1910583)   #28
GBRM
Veteran

England
Camaros

Right, checked Competition Driving and if you look on pages 20, 79 and 90 there are pictures of Camaros.
I don't think 20 is anything to do with Dad. I think 79 Dad is in the BMW cutting the corner (again?!) and I think page 90 (which I think is '74) I think Dad is driving the Camaro at the front, number 7, I think!!
I've checked OHFTB too and cannot find anything, so I must have been wrong, whoops!!
I'll check my CCCs too but that won't be until next week as I need to dig them out and finishing my race car is more important at the moment, but I'll update again when I get a chance.
Old 10 May 2007, 20:12 (Ref:1910592)   #29
GBRM
Veteran

England
Idea

I had an idea and looked out my old Autosports (much easier to get at!!), hopefully these might help a bit until I can get out the CCCs.

In 1st November 1973 Autosport, there is a picture on page 19 of Stuart Graham in his Camaro. He won the race with Les Leston and Richard Lloyd third, all in 5.7 Chevrolet Camaro Z28s.

In the Autosport Annual of 1974 (covering the '73 season) there is a three page interview with Dad (he was famous once!!) and there is a picture of a light coloured (bloody black and white!!) Camaro which I think could be Dad. There is also a paragraph about the Camaros and the battles they had with the BMWs.

Hope it helps a bit.
Old 10 May 2007, 21:02 (Ref:1910624)   #30
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Jeff I know that Martin used the Ovaltine Camero in the support race at the 1971 GP at Siverstone I think Yogi won and Martin was 2nd. Also I seem to remember a certain P Baldwin in there somewhere in his Mini !
Old 10 May 2007, 21:09 (Ref:1910630)   #31
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Martin also finished 3rd at Brands Hatch in an epic dice with Dave Matthews Capri & Frank Gardners SCA Camaro.

Yogi Muir had lead from the off, with Dave second then Frank & Martin, however the Capri was leaking oil and was covering Franks screen so he allowed Martin by so he got the oil. Then when the Capri finally packed up Frank retook second again leaving Martin to drive with an oily screen.

Pete
Old 10 May 2007, 22:32 (Ref:1910699)   #32
Jeff Barley
Racer

Jeff Barley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers Gregor!!... Is there any way you can scan those articles and forward copies as I don't belive I have seen those... must confess I had been focusing on the period to '72 so have little after that.. The "Black and White" camaro could be of real interest..
I'm away from tomorow for a week so once you've done your car would be fine.. maybe have somthing the wek after?.. I'll pm my email address in the hope you can forward somthing!
Jeff
Old 10 May 2007, 22:34 (Ref:1910703)   #33
Jeff Barley
Racer

Thanks Gordon!.. I thought that was the case but didn't know for sure!
BTW.. pass my regards to dave Faircloth when you see him next!?
Old 11 May 2007, 10:47 (Ref:1910960)   #34
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Brian Morris 'up north' have the Emms Camaro after Doug ?
Old 11 May 2007, 12:50 (Ref:1911057)   #35
petestenning
Veteran

Dont know if this has been answered on another thread but you mentioned Jerry Mahoney, is this the guy who ran the AQUARTI ? spelling RS 500 Cosworth in the BTCC.?

And while i remember could Thomas's Ovaltine car have come from Roy Pierpoint.?

Pete
Old 13 May 2007, 09:21 (Ref:1912069)   #36
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Jeff I forgot to say, The Camaro of John Shoesmith in the Heritage is I belive an ex Yogi car. But I don't know how "original" it is as we all know you could build a car up from an original part of the said car. With a fully documented car you have a better chance, although it very rarely tells the whole story .
I know John quiet well and will ask him about it at the next meeting.
Old 14 May 2007, 09:33 (Ref:1912970)   #37
Farbrooke
Racer

Farbrooke has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Not mentioned is the 71 Gp1 SS (same as Z28) ex works car hand built in Detroit for the French where preparation undertaken by Henri Greder and amoungst other events raced in 24 hour Spa by Marie-Claude Beamont / Gabriel Konig then purchased by Gabriel and raced with great sucess in UK, Ireland, Guyana and Barbados in 72 before she sold the car to Martin Thomas - Gabriel last saw the car at Brands in 73 when it was beige in colour and driven by Gerry Marshal smoking badly!
Old 14 May 2007, 11:44 (Ref:1913067)   #38
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farbrooke
Not mentioned is the 71 Gp1 SS (same as Z28) ex works car hand built in Detroit for the French where preparation undertaken by Henri Greder and amoungst other events raced in 24 hour Spa by Marie-Claude Beamont / Gabriel Konig then purchased by Gabriel and raced with great sucess in UK, Ireland, Guyana and Barbados in 72 before she sold the car to Martin Thomas - Gabriel last saw the car at Brands in 73 when it was beige in colour and driven by Gerry Marshall smoking badly!
That must be the Camaro I mentioned above.
Old 14 May 2007, 16:30 (Ref:1913305)   #39
Jeff Barley
Racer

Hi gordon... Delicate subject, but assuming that yogi only had one camaro and that that camaro was the wt camaro which went to terry sanger and that was the car that went back to the us then i wouldn't like to comment on what is running in the heritage series..and what went back to the us had the correct verified vin number..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
Jeff I forgot to say, The Camaro of John Shoesmith in the Heritage is I belive an ex Yogi car. But I don't know how "original" it is as we all know you could build a car up from an original part of the said car. With a fully documented car you have a better chance, although it very rarely tells the whole story .
I know John quiet well and will ask him about it at the next meeting.
Old 14 May 2007, 16:37 (Ref:1913309)   #40
Jeff Barley
Racer

Thanks pete.. I have tracked that "mahoney" but don't think its the same guy...
Re the pierpoint car.. The original pierpoint car was writteb off at +ulton park (pierpooint broke his nose in the crash).. What was not widely known was that thee car was rebuilt using the mike kearon camaro which was an ex-transam car (of bobby brown) .. That rebuilt car became the gardner car that went to auss'.. Was owned by forum member "camaroz" and has since been bought by bill withy here in the uk and has beeb shipped back to the uk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by petestenning
Dont know if this has been answered on another thread but you mentioned Jerry Mahoney, is this the guy who ran the AQUARTI ? spelling RS 500 Cosworth in the BTCC.?

And while i remember could Thomas's Ovaltine car have come from Roy Pierpoint.?

Pete
Old 14 May 2007, 16:43 (Ref:1913321)   #41
Jeff Barley
Racer

Hi Dan... You are correct..thanks for making that connection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
Did Brian Morris 'up north' have the Emms Camaro after Doug ?
Old 16 May 2007, 13:22 (Ref:1914673)   #42
bobr
Rookie

bobr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I drove Les Lestons Camaro in 73 raced my own from 74 on drastically modified it for Ascar ( killed it ). Pierpoint raced for Bill Shaw I will ask him about this car tomorrow, he is away till then his 76 birthday yesterday. Most of Camaro racers are still about Stuart Graham Richard Loyd John Fletcher Derek Brunt even Les.
Old 16 May 2007, 16:04 (Ref:1914757)   #43
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess you may be Bob Ridgard??

I recall the Prodsaloon races from 74-75, when there were some brilliant Camaro races up front, with you, Derrick Brunt, Malcolms Kay & West, Brians Rice & Pepper, Roger Payne, John Brindley etc. Some great dices, a different car/driver seemed to win every week. They weren't 'staged' were they !!
Old 16 May 2007, 17:09 (Ref:1914794)   #44
Jeff Barley
Racer

Hi bob!... Do you mean bill or roy are still around?.. If so you will be able to help me fill in a few gaps in my camaro files
Have sent you a private message by the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobr
I drove Les Lestons Camaro in 73 raced my own from 74 on drastically modified it for Ascar ( killed it ). Pierpoint raced for Bill Shaw I will ask him about this car tomorrow, he is away till then his 76 birthday yesterday. Most of Camaro racers are still about Stuart Graham Richard Loyd John Fletcher Derek Brunt even Les.
Old 19 May 2007, 10:44 (Ref:1916621)   #45
bobr
Rookie

bobr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would have been alot easier if we had staged the races, frantic, and they killed off Camaros to make BL and Ford happy. I still race a Camaro the Tim Boles 68 550 hp 600 lbs torque, nice.
Old 19 May 2007, 14:35 (Ref:1916744)   #46
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heres another old Camaro pic from the 70s.Joe Russell??

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...ellmallory.jpg

Sorry about the quality guys but its from a slide taken when I was a boy!
Old 20 May 2007, 07:06 (Ref:1917039)   #47
petestenning
Veteran

Ovaltine car

When you return Jeff there is a PM for you with the info you required.

Pete
Old 20 May 2007, 11:44 (Ref:1917186)   #48
Jeff Barley
Racer

Hi Colin.. thanks for posting the pic.;. that is obviously the former Muir car (see the "CAB" registration on the bonnet).. I do not know the name "Joe Russell" and thats the first time I have seen it connected to this camaro.. Can you add any further details of his connection (assuming there is one?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLIN STUBBS
Heres another old Camaro pic from the 70s.Joe Russell??

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...ellmallory.jpg

Sorry about the quality guys but its from a slide taken when I was a boy!
Old 21 May 2007, 06:07 (Ref:1917639)   #49
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found the programme from May 18th 1975.Came 5th in special saloon car race.Entrant Geoffrey Nicklen.Driver Joe Russell.....

Last edited by COLIN STUBBS; 21 May 2007 at 06:11.
Old 21 May 2007, 08:15 (Ref:1917726)   #50
Jeff Barley
Racer

Hi Colin.. Really appreciate you adding the programme listing.. you've actually connected two parts of the jigsaw that I have been looking for... cheers for that!!!
Any other pics or info on any early camaro would always be welcome Colin!