Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 25 Apr 2007, 14:44 (Ref:1900171)   #26
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought there were a few more. I started a thread in parc ferme last year I think. There were a few more riders it seems. Gosh, you would hope so at least!
Old 25 Apr 2007, 15:02 (Ref:1900179)   #27
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
I ride a motorbike. Even if it's only on the back, until I get my L's...
What age do you have to be to legally be allowed to ride a bike in Australia? Are you taking lessons yet? What bike are you going to buy?
Old 26 Apr 2007, 00:23 (Ref:1900537)   #28
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In South Australia you need to be 16 to get your motorbike Learner's Permit. I'm over 16, I just haven't got my L's yet. I know pretty much all that I have to know right now it's just a matter of convincing my parents that I can ride a bike safely! It helps that my dad's a Ridersafe instructor too. Ridersafe is the program anyone in NSW or SA wanting to get the bike L's has to go through and pass. I've seen most of the stuff they do, and I've been practicing on some of the bikes there so I don't think I'll have any trouble passing the test.

As for what bike, we have seriously been looking at getting a Suzuki GS500 for me... Not blindingly fast, but not slow, good all round capabilities.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 26 Apr 2007, 04:01 (Ref:1900601)   #29
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Old 26 Apr 2007, 06:35 (Ref:1900641)   #30
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
@ Slippy Diff: Can I come and play with you?????

Old 26 Apr 2007, 15:24 (Ref:1901003)   #31
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That looks pretty fun!

Love the last bike.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 21:23 (Ref:1901246)   #32
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Love the last bike.
1976 Honda TLR 250
Old 27 Apr 2007, 02:35 (Ref:1901392)   #33
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
cripes, 31 years old now...funny but cuz of the low seat, it looks like a trials bike doesn't it? My first bike was a late 60's Honda twin 175 with a instrument cluster like an old Beemer, ran kinda crappy for the old thing it was (around '79 I guess) but learned to ride on it, driving illegally at night when the cops wouldn't be able to see the little sticker on the license plate...

then a Kawwy 175 2-stroke enduro, then a Honda 450 twin, then a Yammy 550 four, then a Yammy 350 twin 2-stroke for the track

ps, I just noticed that your 250 is a "TRL" duh, as in trial......

anyway, don't own bikes anymore, just fob off rides here and there when I can and get a thrill and am always amazed by todays suspensions, brakes, tires etc. I love anything on two wheels (motorized or not) and love the feeling of how immediately comfortable I am on a bike even if its been ages...

cheers, and have fun with all yer toys there slippy...
Old 27 Apr 2007, 16:41 (Ref:1901754)   #34
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff
1976 Honda TLR 250
Have you thought about putting street tires on any of those, ala super mottard style?
Old 27 Apr 2007, 22:55 (Ref:1901950)   #35
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've seen people doing that for the track, but there's a lotmore to it, the spring rates are all wrong for the added grip, I could imagine the front being all floppy with the added grip, not to mention the gearing.

Last summer when I went back to the track where I used to race (Shannonville) the far section of the track was an open track-day event, and there was a guy with a 4 or 500cc single enduro four stroke with slicks. It was fun to watch him keeping up or passing sport bikes in the twisties, but half way down the main straight, you could hear him hit the rev limiter, back off, then get back on it again for the med speed right at the end of the straight, so at least he would go into it without all the weight transfer on the front.

I think I've mentioned before on 10/10th, but as for you new guys getting "only a 600" for your first bike, I really feel strongly that you should have gotten an enduro (street/dirt legal) for a first bike, so that you get experience of front and rear sliding under your belt, at not-kill-yourself-speeds. Seeing Slippy's toys here makes me remember the fun and practical side of these bikes, especially for developing good riding instincts. (yeah, old-guy lecture over now....apologies if I'm repeating)
Old 30 Apr 2007, 03:32 (Ref:1903108)   #36
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
No need to appologize for the lecture. I'm happy with my choice. We (me and the people I ride with) don't race, so we're never pushing the limits of our bikes. We ride a nice street pace, where you have to keep on your skill, but you never pass the limit of the machine. Actually, we're never close to it. But I do plan on doing track days within the next year or two. And one of those will be with a school type setting. The simple fact is, I wont push my 600, and I wouldn't push a 250 either. I can't afford to. I'm 33, married with two kids, and I have a career. Too much to risk to go looking for the my machine's maximum performance.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 04:25 (Ref:1903114)   #37
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Here's a few more...

This was just intoxicating, you never got bored of the mumbo

DR-Z400, not the bike for a seriously tough trail ride!

The mighty GN250 proves that fun can be had at all levels
Old 30 Apr 2007, 04:27 (Ref:1903115)   #38
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
@ Slippy Diff: Can I come and play with you
If I had a dollar etc etc etc....
Old 30 Apr 2007, 04:32 (Ref:1903117)   #39
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss
the boxer i have is not the one those two went round the world on, its the newer version of that one.
Mmmm, the GS1200. Probably one of the best bikes ever, especially for NZ conditions.

Ain't you guys got any more pics? And where are all the other bike owners/riders??
Old 30 Apr 2007, 23:36 (Ref:1903843)   #40
djb
Veteran

Quote:
I'm happy with my choice. We (me and the people I ride with) don't race, so we're never pushing the limits of our bikes. We ride a nice street pace, where you have to keep on your skill, but you never pass the limit of the machine. Actually, we're never close to it. But I do plan on doing track days within the next year or two. And one of those will be with a school type setting. The simple fact is, I wont push my 600, and I wouldn't push a 250 either. I can't afford to. I'm 33, married with two kids, and I have a career. Too much to risk to go looking for the my machine's maximum performance.
very wisely spoken....

Sorry, I don't remember if you were in on the thread where I mentioned track days or being on the track. They really are fun, especially a school setup, where you gradually increase lean angles in an environment where a given corner has lots of constants-grip level, the turn itself, surface condition--perfect for incrementally upping the speed and dealing with tire traction changes gradually so dealing calmly with a slide or start of one is manageable, and specifically that one develops a better feel for the front or rear starting to go and how to deal with it--especially if the bike is a school bike and not your own!

hey diff, that KTM 950--wow, torque-o-rama, yummy, though don't relish picking it off myself and then getting it back up...(especially given that I'm a skinny little bugger)

ps, for both of you, have you heard or seen of the documentary of the Scottish actor, Ewan McGregor and his best mate who bike around the world (so to speak)? Cant recall the title, but overall its a pretty interesting series. "Long way round", comes to mind...yup, just checked it.

McGregor is the Star Wars actor, and while some of it is a bit self centered, I didn't mind that stuff (they were on their own, caught up in their adventure) and for a biker, its a pretty cool adventure to go off on. Him and his pal, guys in a truck or two with camera equipment intow, and also a third biker/cameraman, so all in all pretty neat.

anyway, it you haven't seen it, and ever see it in a rental place, its worth a look, and yes, it was the Beemer photo that made me think of it, as they use them for their trip (KTM didn't think they'd make it, bad PR--OBI ONE KENOBI killed on KTM in "insert country here" sort of headlines fear methinks)

cheers
Old 30 Apr 2007, 23:42 (Ref:1903849)   #41
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
hey diff, that KTM 950--wow, torque-o-rama, yummy, though don't relish picking it off myself and then getting it back up...(especially given that I'm a skinny little bugger)
Well, I'm 6 foot and about 95kg and it was a big bike for me. Sitting on the seat, just my tippy toes touching the ground... But it sounded oh so good with the taps fully open. It was on knobbies as well but the grip was still there.

Long Way Round eh. Should have put all the stuff they were carrying in the many support trucks and it would have been a whole lot easier. And now with all the stuff in the trucks they should have taken a Suzuki DR650 each.
Old 1 May 2007, 01:08 (Ref:1903872)   #42
djb
Veteran

I'm about 5'10-11, but only 65kg, so I definately wouldn't want to have it topple over on me! the largest single I've ridden was an old Suzuki 370 or 380 enduro, at least it had a decompression valve thingee for getting it to the right cycle before kickstarting, and I was probably 120lbs then!

I can sympathize with the sound, my sister-in-laws husband has a big Honda twin sport bike (RC-51) and it makes a beautiful bellow also. I remember guys who raced Vintage stuff, and the Norton 500's alll raced out were something else! Now there's a audio cd project, get sounds of all the major 50's, 60's, 70's, etc etc bikes, I'd buy it.

As for Long Way round, I think parts of the trip were with minimal support trucks, remember they kept on breaking the support racks for their panniers (I'm sure the falls didnt help things), but anyway, an amusing bit of adventurism, albeit, rather nicely funded adventurism....
You know, about the weight, I've done a lot of fully loaded bicycle touring,and even with experience and micro-managing stuff, the weight adds up when it comes to having tent, cooking material, clothes for different weather, so I can appreciate their dilema (the lucky *******s)
Old 1 May 2007, 01:58 (Ref:1903876)   #43
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
the largest single
The KTM has the 950cc LC8 motor fitted which is a V-twin.
Old 1 May 2007, 15:14 (Ref:1904280)   #44
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Long Way Around huh? I may have to check that out. Mcgregor did a good job as narrator in Faster and DTK.

Slippy Diff: I have a friend that would like to purchase a road/offroad bike. Not sure if you call those enduros or not. Have any recommendations for a good bike, but maybe one that doesn't cost the farm?
Old 1 May 2007, 15:15 (Ref:1904281)   #45
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
I can sympathize with the sound, my sister-in-laws husband has a big Honda twin sport bike (RC-51) and it makes a beautiful bellow also.
Ah yes, lovely sounding bike! If it didn't weigh so darn much I'd probably buy one.
Old 1 May 2007, 18:07 (Ref:1904408)   #46
djb
Veteran

J -I kinda figured after I wrote that that it couldn't be a single (the piston would be the size of a garbage can lid if it was). A few years ago I saw "Faster" at a friends place, had no idea that the narrator was Mcgregor...

and yes, the RC is not a bike light on its feet like a 600 (or a Suzuki 750), but man is it stable at very illegal speeds-the only speed when it is comfortable. The riding position, low-med rev vibrations and low speed driveline "snatch" or whatever you want to call it, makes it really not a daily ride bike--but even topped out it's stable as a rock, I was suitabley impressed. I've been bugging my sister-in-law and husband for me to photograph them on their bikes before they sell them, but a good audio clip of the RC running up the gears would be worth it too, for when we're all in an old folks home one day.
Old 1 May 2007, 21:11 (Ref:1904533)   #47
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Slippy Diff: I have a friend that would like to purchase a road/offroad bike. Not sure if you call those enduros or not. Have any recommendations for a good bike, but maybe one that doesn't cost the farm?
What sort of riding and budget? I'm guessing that he/she is looking for a dual purpose bike?
Old 1 May 2007, 22:07 (Ref:1904576)   #48
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Definitely dual purpose for road and off-road use. Not totally sure on budget, pretty sure BMW, KTM or Husky will be out. But I'm not real familiar with the price ranges for these bikes to be honest. He likes good equipment and will usually pay for it. However, he's going through some rough times and probably can't spring for the top shelf stuff. Any guidance would be good, as I have little to offer him.
Old 1 May 2007, 22:53 (Ref:1904602)   #49
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
The market for dual purpose bikes has expanded rapidly in recent years and there's a big choice, right from a basic Suzuki DR200 to the mighty BMW GS1200 Adventure.
Whatever he buys MUST have a 21" front wheel, don't be fooled by some into thinking that the recent crop of 'adventure tourers' with 17" and 18" fronts are OK. When your off-road or on the gravel a 21" front is a must. If he's on a budget and wants a reliable, bullet proof adventure bike, then my pick is the Suzuki DR650. First modification is bars with a higher bend that allow you to stand more easily and a set of good handguards (Acerbis). Fit a bash plate and away you go. The motor is powerful enough for most situations and will happily sit at 110/120km/h on the motorway. Tank range with the standard tank is around the 200km mark depending on the terrain; bigger tanks are available.

The DR650 is a great bike and wildly underestimated by some who think that you have to spend three times the cost for an adventure bike. I own one and it's probably my favourite; look at what I get to ride in the pics above and it's saying something.
Old 7 May 2007, 18:21 (Ref:1908453)   #50
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
and yes, the RC is not a bike light on its feet like a 600 (or a Suzuki 750), but man is it stable at very illegal speeds-the only speed when it is comfortable. The riding position, low-med rev vibrations and low speed driveline "snatch" or whatever you want to call it, makes it really not a daily ride bike--but even topped out it's stable as a rock, I was suitabley impressed.
I managed to ride an RC51 last night. It wasn't much of a ride to get a good impression, but the sound was great. Loved the gear whine and the v-twin music. It felt familiar, like a Honda. One thing that struck me was how deceptive the speed is. Everytime I looked down at the speedo I had to double-take. Wish it could have been more than town miles, but oh well.