Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 15 Jul 2017, 23:25 (Ref:3751541)   #76
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I saw part of the race. That track is awful. The hairpin at turn 1 is beyond ridiculous.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 11:47 (Ref:3751664)   #77
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I saw part of the race. That track is awful. The hairpin at turn 1 is beyond ridiculous.
Looks even more ridiculous when you see the cars sliding everywhere struggling to get around it.

Heck what about Lynn taking pole!? He's a decent driver but nothing amazing, FE is a series tough on the rookies due to the different cars and driving style, along with all these street circuits, yet Lynn comes along and takes pole. Makes Sam Bird look silly. I wonder if DS Virgin could have come away with more wins over the years with a different driver. Of course in the race Lynn dropped back as expected.

The other big surprise, Gasly in the fastest car qualifying dead last. Came up to 7th in the race though with all the attrition, beating Nico Prost even.

Di Grassi 4th... gotta do better than that if you want the title. Buemi's going to sit 2 races out and still win it at this rate.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 12:58 (Ref:3751713)   #78
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
lynn's a decent driver but nothing amazing? to be fair before he walked into lmp2 and smashed everyone there i thought the same, but you have to give the guy a bit more credit than that.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 13:22 (Ref:3751729)   #79
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I haven't really watched his progress at all in WEC, in fact I kind of overlook LMP2 completely. Too many drivers to follow, all made quite difficult when they're sharing cars and not always pushing 100%. So I sort of just watch LMP1 and my preferred driver in Pro.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 14:31 (Ref:3751781)   #80
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
He's a decent driver but nothing amazing, FE is a series tough on the rookies due to the different cars and driving style, along with all these street circuits, yet Lynn comes along and takes pole. Makes Sam Bird look silly. I wonder if DS Virgin could have come away with more wins over the years with a different driver. Of course in the race Lynn dropped back as expected.
Yeah, he's only won Formula Renault UK, finished 3rd in Euro F3 against Rosenqvist and Marciello, won Macau GP, 2nd to Cassidy in TRS, won Gp3 as a rookie, won 5 races in GP2 and got 3/3 wec poles including Le Mans as a rookie.

He's got a lot of experience (200+ races in 7 different cars) so that helps him to jump straight in.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 15:03 (Ref:3751813)   #81
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Lynn's also won the 2017 12 Hours of Sebring with a Taylor Cadillac. His resumé is rather impressive for a 23 year old.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 20:09 (Ref:3751985)   #82
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I ran into Jordan Taylor at Turn 2-3, anyone know why he was about?
Old 17 Jul 2017, 07:44 (Ref:3752082)   #83
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClarrpz View Post
Yeah, he's only won Formula Renault UK, finished 3rd in Euro F3 against Rosenqvist and Marciello, won Macau GP, 2nd to Cassidy in TRS, won Gp3 as a rookie, won 5 races in GP2 and got 3/3 wec poles including Le Mans as a rookie.

He's got a lot of experience (200+ races in 7 different cars) so that helps him to jump straight in.
Yes it's a pretty good resume. The blip for me was Gp2, stepping into the Dams #1 seat replacing Palmer who had just dominated the 2014 championship. He wouldn't have gone in as title favourite because Vandoorne. But ending up 6th equal with his teammate and Marciello, with less than 1/3 of the points of Vandoorne. Then the next season 6th again. But it was possibly the car, not Lynn. I don't think he had really strong competition in his Gp3 title season either. ART had some weaker drivers that year. Stanaway was his strongest competition until he went the last 6 races pointless.

Anyway race 2 bought Lynn back down to earth a little with only 17th on the grid. Some bad luck to go out again in the race though.

Hey how about Gasly in race 2 qualy? He certainly made up for the first race with that lap, fastest of the weekend I think? It didn't end up being pole but still a good job, making Nico Prost look pretty average.

Quite cool to have Lynn and Gasly in FE for a couple of races.

Good job Bird though, he's been hooked up around that track.

Daniel Abt getting the fanboost in both races. I wonder if they pay an asian sweat factory for clicks? You could put Alonso or Hamilton into this series and I bet Abt would continue to get the fan favourite vote.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 12:13 (Ref:3752128)   #84
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
I ran into Jordan Taylor at Turn 2-3, anyone know why he was about?
General Motors doesn't compete, so I guess he was there for fun.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 22:04 (Ref:3752275)   #85
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who plans the course for these races? That turn 1 hairpin is the worst track idea I've seen for a while. How can you possibly do anything with that at the start of the race without causing an accident? Which is bound to happen anyway due to 20 cars all on the same bit of track suddenly slowing to 20mph. The start of Monaco isn't much better but that's Monaco so I'm not certain there's a lot they can do with that beyond pushing the cars up the hill.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 01:02 (Ref:3752934)   #86
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Katz View Post
Who plans the course for these races? That turn 1 hairpin is the worst track idea I've seen for a while. How can you possibly do anything with that at the start of the race without causing an accident? Which is bound to happen anyway due to 20 cars all on the same bit of track suddenly slowing to 20mph. The start of Monaco isn't much better but that's Monaco so I'm not certain there's a lot they can do with that beyond pushing the cars up the hill.
You try with the space they had. And I point you to Saturday's race.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 08:16 (Ref:3752996)   #87
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
making Nico Prost look pretty average.
I think a lot of the grid could do this

Although Gasly and Lynn looked quite impressive. I still have no idea what happened to Gasly at the final corner though - Channel 5s wonderful coverage tends to cut out almost immediately after the finish (cutting to an ad break as the leader took the chequered flag in race 1) and they never bother showing the standings. But they certainly swam when thrown in the deep end.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 18:52 (Ref:3754036)   #88
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
https://www.motorsport.com/dtm/news/...-entry-934184/
Old 25 Jul 2017, 09:43 (Ref:3754200)   #89
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Er posted this previously in the wrong thread....

Poor old DTM huh, that leaves 12 drivers *cough 3.5 cough*.

I guess some will move over to new teams running Audi's or BMW's. I think some of these european touring car series need to take a look at the Aussie V8 Supercars and how much better that series is from an entertainment perspective (not driver quality, DTM has a fantastic field of course). But so many more races and most of them longer (esp the enduros), much bigger fields. I kind of feel the driver talent goes to waste in DTM with their short schedule and barely minimum field size. Maybe it's big in Germany but no one has heard of it on this side of the world.

But anyway Mercedes in FE... that might mean the end of Buemi's domination. Who are their current development drivers that might get the seats? George Russell? With Aikten being a flop in GP3 so far, I'd expect Russell to take that title with the current momentum he has. Move up to F2 in 2018 then FE in 2019 if he performs?

Or maybe they're looking to pull over a couple of their on form DTM drivers. Paffett, Wickens, Di Resta, Engel, Auer, Mortara...

I bet Di Resta wouldn't mind a chance at single seaters again. Engel has shown some suprising pace in FE at times this year. Paffett is probably tintops for life though.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 16:17 (Ref:3754281)   #90
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Audi, BMW, Mercedes, CItroën, Renault, Mahindra, Jaguar

Where's Ford, General Motors and Dodge? Selling V8 pickup trucks, I guess.

Where's Nissan? Paying the debts of the 2015 LMP1 failure, I guess.

Where's Hyundai, Kia, Fiat, Alfa Romeo? Ignoring motorsport as usual.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 17:05 (Ref:3754298)   #91
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Audi, BMW, Mercedes, CItroën, Renault, Mahindra, Jaguar

Where's Nissan? Paying the debts of the 2015 LMP1 failure, I guess.

Where's Hyundai, Kia, Fiat, Alfa Romeo? Ignoring motorsport as usual.
Ford are doing GT Pro and NASCAR, GM are doing IndyCar and NASCAR. I don't know about Hyundai but Fiat and Alfa Romeo are tied up with Ferrari in F1.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 18:01 (Ref:3754324)   #92
NSX_LeMans
Racer

NSX_LeMans should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Where's Hyundai, Kia, Fiat, Alfa Romeo?
Rally and TCR.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 20:30 (Ref:3754382)   #93
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
TCR is a customer program, not a marketing program or much less a technology program.

I always forget that Hyundai returned to the WRC, my mistake.

Ford's European motorsport program is GTLM, WRC and/ WRX, which is not bad to be fair. But as one of the big corporations, they should do something more innovative than running V8s and Fiestas.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 17:13 (Ref:3754532)   #94
Motorsport Prospects
Rookie

Canada
Montreal
Motorsport Prospects should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montreal Season Finale

I will be at the Montreal season finale this weekend to see what this series is like with my own eyes and ears. Looking forward to it although it would be nice if there were some support races.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 17:24 (Ref:3754538)   #95
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Chevy are selling the Bolt. Nissan selling the leaf. Both are considered big hitters in the EV world. Just because they aren't in Formula E, doesn't mean they aren't moving to EVs.

Nissan and Renault are one and the same now anyway. If you have Renault, you probably won't see a Nissan competing as it's pointless.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 21:58 (Ref:3754582)   #96
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
However, there is a rumor that Renault e.Dams may rebrand to Nissan so the French half can focus on F1 and the Japanese marque gets a new top flight motorsports program after the P1 program went so well.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 00:47 (Ref:3754593)   #97
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsport Prospects View Post
I will be at the Montreal season finale this weekend to see what this series is like with my own eyes and ears. Looking forward to it although it would be nice if there were some support races.
I have been in three this year and I can tell you the format is very nice for those attending the circuit. You have all action packed in one single day plus a few extra things to watch and do in between sessions. You will not get bored.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 12:13 (Ref:3754671)   #98
Motorsport Prospects
Rookie

Canada
Montreal
Motorsport Prospects should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobefly View Post
I have been in three this year and I can tell you the format is very nice for those attending the circuit. You have all action packed in one single day plus a few extra things to watch and do in between sessions. You will not get bored.
What extra things?
Old 27 Jul 2017, 13:02 (Ref:3754692)   #99
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There wasn't much else at the NYC event, except for a race that could melt down Tenths, Roborace. While the cars look cool for kids. and definitely futuristic movie styled, I'm not so sure. I think a great idea for a new Formula SAE option and colleges would jump on it.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 16:06 (Ref:3754755)   #100
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Chevy are selling the Bolt. Nissan selling the leaf. Both are considered big hitters in the EV world.
Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Just because they aren't in Formula E, doesn't mean they aren't moving to EVs.
That was my point. Several manufacturers have electric/hybrid motorsport activities and several don't.

Speaking of which, the Bolt would be a cool electric rallycross car.