Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Oct 2023, 10:58 (Ref:4179969)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Qatar Grand Prix 2023: Grand Prix Weekend Thread - Round 18 of 23

Not too much to say for this relatively new race, which is just as well, because I don't have the time to say it!

Sprint fun beckons, though.
Old 6 Oct 2023, 19:00 (Ref:4180046)   #2
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I completely forgot there was a sprint race and that qualifying for the actual GP was today. Both McLaren drivers had their lap times deleted.

There are further qualifying investigations for Hamilton, Tsunoda, Lawson and Piastri, possibly failing to follow the race director's instructions regarding maximum lap times, in order to reduce traffic issues in qualifying. Sounds like a bit of a mess.
Old 6 Oct 2023, 21:54 (Ref:4180078)   #3
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I completely forgot there was a sprint race and that qualifying for the actual GP was today. Both McLaren drivers had their lap times deleted.

There are further qualifying investigations for Hamilton, Tsunoda, Lawson and Piastri, possibly failing to follow the race director's instructions regarding maximum lap times, in order to reduce traffic issues in qualifying. Sounds like a bit of a mess.
Not to mention announcing during the interviews with the top 3 qualifiers further track limit penalties.

Are there any other sports that have so many post play penalties?
Old 7 Oct 2023, 08:21 (Ref:4180130)   #4
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Not to mention announcing during the interviews with the top 3 qualifiers further track limit penalties.
That was pretty sad & pathetic really - took SO long to announce the track limits lap deletions. Cars had enough time for an in lap, drivers out, weighing in, waiting for interviews & all that. Race Control needs to do much better - not good at all.
Old 7 Oct 2023, 12:06 (Ref:4180151)   #5
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It seems we have a problem, Houston.

Routine tyre inspection after practice has unearthed a potential disaster for want of a better word.

Tyres are showing signs of delamination after just 20 laps with potential 'loss of air'

As a result immediate changes to the track limits rules, and cars are mandated to pit for new rubber in a maximum of 20 laps for new tyres.

As such they have also mandated a minimum of 3 pitstops per team in the race.
There will be an extra 10 minutes familiarisation of the new track limits rules prior to the Shootout Sprint qualy, which has been delayed 20 minutes as a consequence.

The FIA have issued the following statement.
Quote:
Following the standard analysis of tyres used during Free Practice 1 yesterday, in which tyres that have been used for approximately 20 laps are examined by Pirelli to check various safety parameters, a separation in the sidewall between the topping compound and the carcass cords on many of tyres that were checked was discovered.

It is the view of the FIA and Pirelli that a significant number of additional laps on these tyres could result in circumferential damage of the tyres with subsequent air loss, and tyres analysed with lower lap numbers showed a much-reduced extent of the issue.

This issue has likely been caused by the high-frequency interference between the tyre sidewall and the 50mm ‘pyramid’ kerbs used extensively at this circuit, aggravated by the propensity to ride those kerbs.

The following actions will be taken on safety grounds in response to this issue:

Track limits at Turns 12-13 will be revised.
There will be a 10-minute Practice Familiarisation Session, scheduled to start at 16:00 local time, following the revision of the track limits, to allow drivers to adjust to the changes. The Sprint Shootout will therefore start 20 minutes later than scheduled (16:20 local time).
There will extensive tyre analysis following the Sprint (19 laps), to decide whether further action needs to be taken ahead of the Grand Prix.
In the event the problem is still evident, we will be issuing the following directive for Sunday’s Grand Prix, on safety grounds:
The tyre life parameter must not exceed 20 for new tyres used in the race. This number would rise to 22 for any used tyres fitted in the race, to account for in-out laps in qualifying.
All drivers will be obliged to perform at least three tyre-change pitstops during the race.

Pirelli and the FIA will carry out extensive research and simulations in order to establish with complete confidence the reasons behind this issue, and to work on solutions to avoid it in the future.
https://www.fia.com/news/fia-stateme...tar-grand-prix
Old 7 Oct 2023, 12:21 (Ref:4180153)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well this is gonna be a farce of a race. It seems to me the circuit is unsuitable for F1 cars
Old 7 Oct 2023, 12:29 (Ref:4180156)   #7
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's Formula 1 Jim but not as we know it.
Old 7 Oct 2023, 12:34 (Ref:4180159)   #8
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well this is gonna be a farce of a race. It seems to me the circuit is unsuitable for F1 cars
Or - the cars are not suitable for the circuit?
Old 7 Oct 2023, 12:42 (Ref:4180162)   #9
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Or - the cars are not suitable for the circuit?

Or the drivers have been abusing the curbing. I just wish that the FIA, and here in the UK, they would change the rules so that the curbing was no longer considered part of the track.
Old 7 Oct 2023, 12:51 (Ref:4180164)   #10
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Or the drivers have been abusing the curbing. I just wish that the FIA, and here in the UK, they would change the rules so that the curbing was no longer considered part of the track.

Why not reduce the width of the curbing?
Old 7 Oct 2023, 14:12 (Ref:4180172)   #11
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
A front row lockout for McLaren and P1 for Piastri. Can they and Piastri convert this into a win?
Old 7 Oct 2023, 14:54 (Ref:4180176)   #12
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
True. There are many factors, and the track is just one of them.

If this were Monaco or Montreal - would the track still be to blame?
Old 7 Oct 2023, 15:17 (Ref:4180181)   #13
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It's Formula 1 Jim but not as we know it.
Yep! And a lot of the fans like this type of drama. It does spice things up. Even if accidently.

Quote:
I can only trust what I read, but it seems like it is an issue specific to the type of curbing...
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...s-gp/10529827/

I do find it interesting that Pirelli is examining the tires as deeply as they do on a regular basis and that this did expose the problem. Better than it happening during the race and that causing significant chaos. There is the open quesiton as to how they didn't know this was a potential.

Quote:
A front row lockout for McLaren and P1 for Piastri. Can they and Piastri convert this into a win?
I have not watched sprint qualifying yet, but have seen the results. I keep being hopeful that Lando gets his first win, even if a sprint win really is not a full race win. There was a video recently posted in the F1 YouTube channel showing George, Lando and Alex answering questions and Lando is clearly still haunted by Sochi 2021. Would love to see him get that monkey off his back.

Richard
Old 7 Oct 2023, 15:20 (Ref:4180182)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
Yep! And a lot of the fans like this type of drama. It does spice things up. Even if accidently.

Richard
Having to pit every 20 laps isn’t what I’d call exciting. It’s gonna make it too predictable
Old 7 Oct 2023, 15:43 (Ref:4180189)   #15
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Having to pit every 20 laps isn’t what I’d call exciting. It’s gonna make it too predictable
I hear you, but at the same time I am curious to see how it works out. Its my understanding it's not a done deal yet. That after today's use of new track limits they will re-examine the tires to see if they need to impose the 20ish lap limit or not for Sunday.

Richard
Old 7 Oct 2023, 17:18 (Ref:4180212)   #16
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but is this not how the track limits are being policed? You have to have part of your tyre remain on the track. All 4 wheels on the kerb is considered off track.
Old 7 Oct 2023, 17:38 (Ref:4180216)   #17
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
A clean start but a bad one for Norris and Verstappen, great start for Russell. FCY as Lawson goes off.
Old 7 Oct 2023, 17:42 (Ref:4180219)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Sergeant goes off, again and brings out the second caution.
Old 7 Oct 2023, 17:52 (Ref:4180223)   #19
rika
Racer

rika should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow these soft tires are bad !
Old 7 Oct 2023, 17:56 (Ref:4180225)   #20
rika
Racer

Russel confirms these soft tires are useless

I think nobody will use them tomorrow
Old 7 Oct 2023, 17:57 (Ref:4180226)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Perez off. Looks like he got tagged by Ocon. 3rd FCY.
Old 7 Oct 2023, 17:59 (Ref:4180227)   #22
rika
Racer

Ocon takes out Hulkenberg and then Perez
Old 7 Oct 2023, 18:07 (Ref:4180229)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
What a superb move from Norris to pass first Leclerc and then Sainz.
Old 7 Oct 2023, 18:10 (Ref:4180230)   #24
rika
Racer

And Russell
Old 7 Oct 2023, 18:11 (Ref:4180231)   #25
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Congrats to Piastri on his first F1 win and congrats to Verstappen on his 3rd WDC.