Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 28 Aug 2014, 06:50 (Ref:3448409)   #551
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you saying there might be a supercharged Viper coming?
Old 28 Aug 2014, 07:04 (Ref:3448416)   #552
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see a supercharged V10 Viper roaring in the GTLM class, as well as in the streets.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 08:50 (Ref:3448428)   #553
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Are you saying there might be a supercharged Viper coming?
Thats the rumor. They cant call it "super snake" since the mustang gt500 has that, and wont call it "hellcat" since the Supercharged v8 wont fit. But maybe a new ACR, if thats not what the rumors are pointing at.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 12:54 (Ref:3448513)   #554
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How about opening up the market, to have a car like the Viper and only sell it in NA is insane, no wonder their sales are low. Another Detroit company who thinks that only USA matters, you would think that they would have learned their lesson after 2 bailouts. Or the deal with Fiat was to stay our of EU to not compete with Ferrari and any of the other brands Fiat owns. Who knows what is going on in their tiny brains :-)
Old 28 Aug 2014, 14:03 (Ref:3448534)   #555
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Everyone's favorite topic Driver Ratings is going to be rehashed for next season:
http://sportscar365.com/industry/ims...ystem-in-2015/
Basically, drivers will be classified by speed. So if you are an Am driver and you are good, you have to drive with pro drivers? Doesn't seem like there is a reward for being a good Am. I would be interested to hear from our resident racers on this.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 14:05 (Ref:3448536)   #556
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Dodge/ SRT evaluates their programs the same time every year. Theres no reason to think the GTE is in trouble especially when earlier they were speaking of expanding to the wec with a customer car. Not only that, but this evaluation is for all racing programs. Theyre 3 points out the lead for drivers titles, I think theyre making a good case for staying. Plus theres rumors of a more potent Viper to elevate it above the new 'hellcat' line in terms of power.
Yes, there is! It could be in trouble because the racing program is costing money (lots of it actually) and sales of the road cars are very much lacking any kind of target and ROI on the program must be showing some harsh red numbers I would guess.

Not saying the program IS in trouble but it's obvious that not all is well (rather naive to think otherwise) and convincing the board to continue will probably be a really hard task.

Rumors about a WEC entry should be taken lightly, a GTE-Am campaign sounds the most credible - at best.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 18:34 (Ref:3448612)   #557
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We now have the first Competition Memo from IMSA - for 2015!
http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/fi...20%2315-01.pdf
Just about prize money and it is the same as this year.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 19:31 (Ref:3448621)   #558
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Yes, there is! It could be in trouble because the racing program is costing money (lots of it actually) and sales of the road cars are very much lacking any kind of target and ROI on the program must be showing some harsh red numbers I would guess.
One report of poor road car sales, and a pause in production does not equal cancellation of a race program, when the two budgets are not even interlinked.

When the Viper costs 100K+ delivered, sales are gonna suck. They don't exactly fly off the showroom floor, and when reintroduced, many dealers just ordered a handful each, not spec'd out in colors, or trims, or options that an actual buyer wants. Hence the reason production was stopped, as the inventory was out there, and just needed to be bought.

Ralph Gilles isn't a moron. The budget they have for a North American program in TUSC isn't nearly what they had invested in NASCAR. Not even close. The chicken little attitude because they didn't go to LM is just silly. That alone is nearly an entire seasons budget. And when the ACO is going to give you crap BoP for the race making it a non-winnable race, why go?

The LM program has been years in the making, it's not going to get cancelled because a bunch of moronic dealers ordered cars, and then couldn't sell them.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 28 Aug 2014, 23:01 (Ref:3448670)   #559
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Are we not forgetting the whole concept of a "halo car" when it comes to the Vipers? Isn't that part of the reason why they are no longer considered SRT Vipers but instead Dodge Vipers? I'm sure the people cutting the checks for the program realize that they're not exclusively hoping for Viper sales based on the success of their racing cars. They know that people will hear Dodge, and the regular old folks who can't afford $100K plus vehicles will instead consider a Charger, Challenger or Dart.
Old 29 Aug 2014, 00:35 (Ref:3448689)   #560
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post

Not saying the program IS in trouble but it's obvious that not all is well (rather naive to think otherwise) and convincing the board to continue will probably be a really hard task.

Rumors about a WEC entry should be taken lightly, a GTE-Am campaign sounds the most credible - at best.
The article made it seem like there was trouble because theyve yet to sign off on next year. They chose to highlight the Viper gte program for imo click bait. But in reality, ALL SRT/Dodge racing programs are in the same situation. So is their NHRA program in trouble? How about their Trans AM program? Those are both included in this 'story'. Not really sure your point on the gte-am wec entry. Their intention is to lease car(s) to a team. It doesnt matter which gte class. Running 2nd in team's and driver's titles is a big plus towards continuing. If they stay this position, or win a title/titles, itd be a kick in the groin to their hard work.
Old 29 Aug 2014, 00:46 (Ref:3448691)   #561
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Everyone's favorite topic Driver Ratings is going to be rehashed for next season:
Basically, drivers will be classified by speed. So if you are an Am driver and you are good, you have to drive with pro drivers? Doesn't seem like there is a reward for being a good Am. I would be interested to hear from our resident racers on this.
Mike Hedlund in his blog did propose excluding drivers from being classified as amateurs based on pace as well as day job (the silver pro problem). Last I knew, club cycling in the US also had categories with both voluntary and forced upgrading based on race results over the years, with the higher categories being grouped with the Pros in races. Not that I'm saying that'd necessarily work for auto racing, just pointing out it's not an unheard of idea in sport. I don't know that it'd work in Tudor, as being promoted to "Pro" would mean either a switch in car category or ditching the current real pro driver and picking up a new amateur partner. Maybe the latter could be worked-out in the off-season, but I wouldn't think the "fast" and "slow" amateurs involved would see it as desirable. I guess if they were both short on cash it would be better than not racing in the category.
Old 29 Aug 2014, 01:33 (Ref:3448702)   #562
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Cosworth/Indycar rumors are for Alfa being re-launched in the U.S. I can't see that trumping the Viper program.
Old 29 Aug 2014, 01:53 (Ref:3448706)   #563
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Maybe Alfa should run a couple of TZ3s at Le Mans.
Old 29 Aug 2014, 02:43 (Ref:3448721)   #564
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Are we not forgetting the whole concept of a "halo car" when it comes to the Vipers? Isn't that part of the reason why they are no longer considered SRT Vipers but instead Dodge Vipers? I'm sure the people cutting the checks for the program realize that they're not exclusively hoping for Viper sales based on the success of their racing cars. They know that people will hear Dodge, and the regular old folks who can't afford $100K plus vehicles will instead consider a Charger, Challenger or Dart.
^^ this.

It's all about brand awareness. One of the biggest reasons the Corvette program has worked like it has is because of the bad boy attitude. Same with Harley. It's all perception.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 3 Sep 2014, 12:37 (Ref:3449970)   #565
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
HighParker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could the possibility of a July 2015 IndyCar race at Mosport affect the already announced July 12 date for TUSC?
http://www.mosport.com/news/65-news/...rt-park-update
Old 3 Sep 2014, 13:12 (Ref:3449976)   #566
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighParker View Post
Could the possibility of a July 2015 IndyCar race at Mosport affect the already announced July 12 date for TUSC?
http://www.mosport.com/news/65-news/...rt-park-update
The Toronto Indy date is typically a week after this years TUSC date. Having two big events a week a part would be unfortunate, so I would hope somehow dates are moved around for one of them. Hoping against the dreaded double header.
Old 3 Sep 2014, 22:07 (Ref:3450084)   #567
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
IMSA has been so incompetent at driver rankings I don't see what they're going to do better in 2015. Maybe they'll simply be able to "pass the buck" by leaving it to the FIA and not having their own ranking system.. which frankly, is equally as terrible and even worse for US based drivers as they don't follow most of the series here. Either way, as with most IMSA announcements there isn't enough details for me to have an opinion on off it'll be better, same, or worse than it is now.

I made a blog post last year with all my thoughts on driver rankings and pro/pro-am classes. The only part of my opinion which has changed is the trust in the people making the decisions.

-mike
Old 3 Sep 2014, 23:28 (Ref:3450095)   #568
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
IMSA has been so incompetent at .........
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 4 Sep 2014, 19:28 (Ref:3450328)   #569
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
http://racer.com/imsa/item/108216-im...re-2015-budget

Quote:
The costs of competing at the highest level in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship have been significant during the series' inaugural year, and for one of the veteran teams in the Prototype category, budget concerns have placed a question mark on next season's program.

"The fact is we've overspent by a ton this year, and it's affecting 2015," Michael Shank told RACER.
Old 4 Sep 2014, 19:32 (Ref:3450329)   #570
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Meh. Shank's complained about money and having to upgrade his precious cars and difficulties with partners in every single interview he's given in the last ~ year and a half or so I don't really know why MP bothered to write another article about it.

He'll be there anyway...

Last edited by Deleted; 4 Sep 2014 at 19:38.
Old 4 Sep 2014, 19:48 (Ref:3450339)   #571
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Tell him he can always go back to 2013 DP spec. Compete for overall PC victories!
Old 5 Sep 2014, 01:10 (Ref:3450406)   #572
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Shank's team, and I hope he succeeds

I do wonder though if PC or P3 cars will become the leading class in the future? I still believe it's taking teams away from the other classes.
Old 5 Sep 2014, 08:54 (Ref:3450491)   #573
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
I do wonder though if PC or P3 cars will become the leading class in the future? I still believe it's taking teams away from the other classes.
If it comes to that then we would be better off killing the P classes off in North America.
Old 5 Sep 2014, 10:38 (Ref:3450508)   #574
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the P class is dead, then IMSA should bring GTP back using DTM/Super GT.

Unfortunately, that would close the ACO link once again unless Bandou-san convince the bigwigs to bring the class to Le Mans!
Old 5 Sep 2014, 10:50 (Ref:3450512)   #575
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
If the P class is dead, then IMSA should bring GTP back using DTM/Super GT.

Unfortunately, that would close the ACO link once again unless Bandou-san convince the bigwigs to bring the class to Le Mans!
Is Super GT/DTM any cheaper than DP/P2? If not, why does this make any sense at all?