Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 30 Aug 2014, 10:59 (Ref:3449041)   #151
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Speculation is fun but when people talk about calendar changes constantly (for seemingly the last three years) it gets a bit tiring.
It only goes to tell you how dissatisfied majority of the people are with it!
Old 30 Aug 2014, 11:01 (Ref:3449042)   #152
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
It only goes to tell you how dissatisfied majority of the people are with it!
Would hardly say that a few people on a forum is a majority
Old 30 Aug 2014, 11:08 (Ref:3449045)   #153
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandicoot17 View Post
Would hardly say that a few people on a forum is a majority
It's not only on this forum.

Anyway maybe someone should make poll about whether or not the current scheduling/circuits/concept is fine and let's see what people around here think...
a) Very satisfied
b) Quite satisfied
c) Not satisfied or unsatisfied
d) Quite unsatisfied
e) Very unsatisfied

Last edited by Deleted; 30 Aug 2014 at 11:19.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 12:22 (Ref:3449059)   #154
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Except that that poll would show what we know--economic realities aside, everyone would want races at the classic tracks, and at tracks close to where they live, and would want the races scheduled at times which suited their schedules.

The Winter Series idea is inte4nded to capitalize on dead race time as much as leave Le Mans as the season ender, I think---either way there has to be an off-season, if only so the factories can build and test new cars, but no one seems to want a break in the racing (oddly, a winter schedule would provide more racing in general across the calendar.)

Also, some WEC race are located for purely economic reasons, but no one wants a Bahrain race because no one can ever go there. Everyone wants races at classic European or North American tracks, whether or not those races make economic sense for the series.

If this forum had more South American or Asian members, I bet there would be a dozen tracks in those locales which would be promoted as "must-have" venues---and maybe they should be, but again, the economics are the deciding factor, and we only know the fans' desires.

"Dream Schedules" are a fine way to pass time and create pleasant fantasies but the fact that people can create personally "perfect" schedules in their minds doesn't mean that those fans are really that unsatisfied with the existing set-up.

Sure, we can all look at what is there and suggest improvements, but even if the schedule was 99 percent perfect, we would still be just as vocal about that one percent--and some percentage of fans would still not be satisfied and would want something radically different.

What we have here, is an issue getting way bigger in appearance than it is in reality. Whenever and wherever WEC races, people are going to watch and get about the same enjoyment. No one is going to stop watching the series because of the schedule.

Maybe the series would be easier to promote with a different schedule, but really, it would be easier promote with a bigger promotion budget and a better TV schedule.

Are fans really "dissatisfied" with the current schedule? Or is it simply that in or fantasies we can invent schedules we'd like more (every race on a date when it didn't conflict with anything else I was doing, and as many races as possible close enough that I could go see them, even if that meant two or three events per season at the same track)?

It's a topic on which it is easy to have an opinion, and during a period where there isn't a race to debate. What's that tempest doing in my teapot? How much of it is a rotating tropical depression, and how much is it different stirring the pot?
Old 30 Aug 2014, 15:11 (Ref:3449076)   #155
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's not only on this forum.
Sure, maybe it's on some other forums (Including facebook/twitter etc.) too, probably the same people though. The vocal minority always seems to be heard over those who are content.

The main complaint I see (Outside of this forum) is that this break is too long. That's pretty much it. Yeah maybe people don't like certain tracks but that's the same in every series. Can't be helped.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 15:28 (Ref:3449079)   #156
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's exactly right Bandicoot.

And the mid-season break can be remedied with one or two additional races before COTA.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 19:13 (Ref:3449115)   #157
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Enough speculation, here is a fact.

http://www.fia.com/news/dates-2015-f...ogue-announced

May have been mentioned already but I couldn't see it in all the loooooong posts.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 21:15 (Ref:3449132)   #158
Pandemonium
Racer

Pandemonium has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Mike is right on the last page But that´s all good.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 21:24 (Ref:3449133)   #159
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
oops!
Old 2 Sep 2014, 19:36 (Ref:3449792)   #160
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Another example of trying to score headlines with a non-item while the real issues are not being mentioned - let alone dealt with. No word - other than The full calendar for the 2015 FIA WEC will be announced in due course - on the next year's schedule and how the series is trying to prevent another embarrassing gap of so many months during the season...
Old 2 Sep 2014, 20:00 (Ref:3449806)   #161
Deleted
Veteran

Shh. It's a great schedule now and in the future no matter the circumstances and we are in no position to dispute the ACO decisions, that's what people tell me to think all the time.
Old 2 Sep 2014, 23:37 (Ref:3449856)   #162
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Shh. It's a great schedule now and in the future no matter the circumstances and we are in no position to dispute the ACO decisions, that's what people tell me to think all the time.

Is this seriously what you get from other people's comments? If so, then there is a huge gap in mutual understanding between people on this topic.
Old 3 Sep 2014, 00:55 (Ref:3449862)   #163
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I agree. Seems the opposite from the conversation imo. Maybe that was sarcasm?
Old 8 Sep 2014, 14:12 (Ref:3451241)   #164
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Next meeting of the FIA World Motor Sport Council is this Thursday (September 11th), let's hope a draft calendar will be revealed.
Old 8 Sep 2014, 17:14 (Ref:3451278)   #165
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Another example of trying to score headlines with a non-item while the real issues are not being mentioned - let alone dealt with.
The test date is news for teams, not fans.
Old 8 Sep 2014, 23:03 (Ref:3451354)   #166
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Is there anyone on this thread that is familiar with visiting Spa as an out-of-towner who'd be willing to lend some advice on attending that race? I'm looking to visit for the first time next year and would be thrilled if someone was interested in helping out a rookie. I'd just like some tips on how to get there using public transportation, where I should consider staying and eating, and where I should plan to watch the race from. If you're game for passing on some knowledge either reply to this thread or feel free to send me a PM. I'd surely appreciate it!
Old 9 Sep 2014, 07:09 (Ref:3451410)   #167
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I have been to Spa many times and have stayed in various places including camping at the circuit and cheap hotels, but a warning when the big races are on prices rise rapidly, assuming that you will not be camping then make sure you book some where in francochamps not spa as the problems of traffic to and from the circuit will spoil your trip. there are several places to eat and drink in francochamps including the racing hotel which is an absolute must to hang out in the evening as you will meet many of the drivers and teams there, they do have very basic accommodation there but never managed to actually book there myself.
As for public transport I think it is not very good in the area of the racetrack and car hire is a much better bet. This year Ian stayed in a tree house a few miles from the circuit if you fancy something different
Old 9 Sep 2014, 08:34 (Ref:3451423)   #168
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Is there anyone on this thread that is familiar with visiting Spa as an out-of-towner who'd be willing to lend some advice on attending that race? I'm looking to visit for the first time next year and would be thrilled if someone was interested in helping out a rookie. I'd just like some tips on how to get there using public transportation, where I should consider staying and eating, and where I should plan to watch the race from. If you're game for passing on some knowledge either reply to this thread or feel free to send me a PM. I'd surely appreciate it!
I've been to Spa quite a few times - and love it.

As Simon says, public transport isn't all that great around there and a rental car will make life a lot easier. That said, you can get a train to Spa and I imagine there's a bus or a taxi shouldn't cost too much to get to Francorchamps, equally getting to Francorchamps from Liege is doable via public transport, but all in, rent a car - I suspect it would improve life quite a bit.

Accommodation wise I'd argue that there are benefits to staying in Spa rather than Francorchamps - the track is then, obviously, not right on your doorstep, but you'll get more variety in terms of hotels and restaurants, and in terms of 'extra curricular' activities, things like the Thermal Baths are well worth a visit, as indeed are quite a few of the sights in the main town, especially if you've an eye for history.

Watching the track itself is simplicity - all the grandstands are open, but the main benefit to the event is walking around the track, certainly from the top of Les Coombes, the view is spectacular, and all along the Kemmel straight you not only get the cars going very rapidly beside you, but you have a wonderful vista all the way over to the other side of the track.

It doesn't quite have the atmosphere the big event at Le Mans has, where I've found even seeing the track at test day raises goosebumps, but leaving that aside it's the finest track I've ever had the privilege to see. I think you'll enjoy it a lot.
Old 9 Sep 2014, 12:13 (Ref:3451475)   #169
Deleted
Veteran

Speaking of vantage points
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyIQNM-1hUc

Old 9 Sep 2014, 15:35 (Ref:3451558)   #170
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
2015 schedule will be discussed by World Motorsport Council this weekend with final schedule release at the end of the year.

Holding up points:

1)Manufacturers do not want to go to the Winter series until 2017.

2)Canada is very close to be added to the 15 season.

3)Monza not yet,most likely 2016.

4)WEC not happy with the Brazil race so they are in a wait and see if they fixed the problems when they go there later this year.Not fixed will not be on schedule for 2015.
Old 9 Sep 2014, 15:59 (Ref:3451568)   #171
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no surprise, a lot of manufacturers (porsche, ferrari most of all) have in north america/US market the main market or however a very important and strategic market, and to have a double round austin - montreal would be great for them!
I don't like so much monza, and I think that audi and porsche would like to keep on using monza as test track for low drag packages. To me mugello track is a better choice.

If am I not wrong, interlagos will update track facilities at the end of the year
Old 9 Sep 2014, 15:59 (Ref:3451569)   #172
Deleted
Veteran

Where is this info coming from again?

Anyway regarding Interlagos yes the facilities (and probably the remaining non-tarmac runoffs) will be modified by the request of F1/FIA but that shouldn't have anything to do with this series, must be organizational disagreements
Old 9 Sep 2014, 16:25 (Ref:3451574)   #173
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Mogami View Post
2015 schedule will be discussed by World Motorsport Council this weekend with final schedule release at the end of the year.

Holding up points:

1)Manufacturers do not want to go to the Winter series until 2017.

2)Canada is very close to be added to the 15 season.

3)Monza not yet,most likely 2016.

4)WEC not happy with the Brazil race so they are in a wait and see if they fixed the problems when they go there later this year.Not fixed will not be on schedule for 2015.
Interesting stuff - thanks
Old 9 Sep 2014, 16:56 (Ref:3451584)   #174
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Where is this info coming from again?
The usual, I would suggest, guessing based on hearsay and articles like this re: Monza -
http://www.motorsport-total.com/wec/...-14090904.html
Old 9 Sep 2014, 17:08 (Ref:3451586)   #175
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
The usual, I would suggest, guessing based on hearsay and articles like this re: Monza -
http://www.motorsport-total.com/wec/...-14090904.html
Thanks, I always want to check were the 'facts' are coming from and don't visit those German/etc sites on my own

But contrary to above, while the article mentions the issues of Interlagos (organizational as I suspected) Fittipaldi is quoted saying that the contract is still for further 2 years...

Bahrain contract runs out this year but money bags are probably irresistible.