Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jan 2004, 19:02 (Ref:856775)   #26
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All this talk of Personality would be more justified if Personality in F1 didn't usually just mean being loud.
I mean - where is the blinding wit from the Personalities? Nowhere that I see.
In fact the one amusing driver of recent years was Heinz-Harald Frentzen but most here seem to overlook that because he didn't force himself upon reporters.
I think Nick is just fine as a person(ality) and a very good driver. H2F marginally outperformed him last year but only marginally. And alright, you can say that the Saubers were lucky at Indy - but then any driver driving for a top-3 team is one hell of a lot luckier.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 20:22 (Ref:856864)   #27
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan signs Heidfeld

http://pitpass.com/news2/news.cfm?newsid=8497

Quote:
Jordan Ford has signed up Nick Heidfeld to front the team's challenge in the 2004 Formula One World Championship.
Eddie Jordan said, "I am carefully putting together a strong driver pairing to complement our 2004 package and sponsorship portfolio and signing Nick is the first part of that. I am optimistic that we have the tools to mount a reasonable contest against the midfield teams this year. Nick is a very quick driver with the talent and experience we need in order to grab every opportunity we can this season."
(read the rest on the site)

So, it looks like it's going alright for Jordan
Old 30 Jan 2004, 21:52 (Ref:856925)   #28
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
HH-F beat him and yes with more experience, but then, after 4 seasons, should experience be an issue, after all, Kimi beat DC, JPM beat Rafe, Alonso beat Trulli. All 3 have less experience than their team mates that they beat.
You mean, just like Coulthard beat Häkkinen in 1997 (with Hakkinen having 3 1/2 year more experience in F1, and 3 years more experience at McLaren)?
Old 31 Jan 2004, 01:27 (Ref:857091)   #29
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by santori
All this talk of Personality would be more justified if Personality in F1 didn't usually just mean being loud.
I mean - where is the blinding wit from the Personalities? Nowhere that I see.
In fact the one amusing driver of recent years was Heinz-Harald Frentzen but most here seem to overlook that because he didn't force himself upon reporters.
I think Nick is just fine as a person(ality) and a very good driver. H2F marginally outperformed him last year but only marginally. And alright, you can say that the Saubers were lucky at Indy - but then any driver driving for a top-3 team is one hell of a lot luckier.
You must admit, that Sauber was indeed the most invisible, and forgotten team on the whole grid last year. Nobody talked about them, TV didn't show them, and magazines didn't interview them.

So its not about wit, its about staying visible. In todays F1, as sad as it maybe, you have to give teams and sponsors more than just decent driving skills...
Old 31 Jan 2004, 02:07 (Ref:857113)   #30
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh...you mean like seeing Mark or Renault on every issue of F1Racing?

Last edited by Gt_R; 31 Jan 2004 at 02:09.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 03:51 (Ref:857177)   #31
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Here's how EJ managed to afford NH AND get B&H cash.....

Attached Thumbnails
jordan.jpg  
Old 31 Jan 2004, 07:41 (Ref:857273)   #32
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Woo-hoo!!!

The good news just keeps piling up of late...

Hopefully Jordan design a car good enough so Nick can at least be mid-field. He'll do the rest.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 08:50 (Ref:857319)   #33
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I wouldn't mind betting B+H get McNish the second seat (fingers crossed)
Old 31 Jan 2004, 09:11 (Ref:857334)   #34
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Ozman, stop acting like you're the only Heidfeld fan here.

I adore the guy and think he is massively talented. In the '70's, he would have had a front line drive and his smooth classical style would have brought much success.
I apologise EERO.

'As the joint-resident Heidfeld fan...' I should have said.

I am also hopeful with your BMW comments. Ralfie is starting to fall out of favour, and getting the German Nick would be a coup for the concern... particularly as he should come cheap.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 09:58 (Ref:857355)   #35
Bridget Stone
Racer

Bridget Stone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm...i would like to see the terms of Nick's contract. I wouldn't be surprised of there is a sort of "performance" clausule in it, that Jordan have the right to release him if he doesn't live up to expectations. Like i said in another thread, Nick has 66 runs and only one podium, so thats not that much to write home about.

love, bridget
Old 31 Jan 2004, 11:16 (Ref:857424)   #36
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how often do people in saubers or prosts get podium positions....
Old 31 Jan 2004, 11:26 (Ref:857434)   #37
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by flor
how often do people in saubers or prosts get podium positions....
Only when they are lucky
Old 31 Jan 2004, 12:31 (Ref:857516)   #38
Ej10
Racer

Ej10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But Jenson Button has 66 runs too and he has no podiums and look at the hype about him!
Old 31 Jan 2004, 12:39 (Ref:857520)   #39
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm glad that Nick has a seat, he's a fast, reliable driver. In my opinion he's the kind of driver who will bring the goods for Jordan, he'll never throw a good result by crashing.

Last edited by Jordi; 31 Jan 2004 at 12:42.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 12:42 (Ref:857523)   #40
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bridget Stone
Like i said in another thread, Nick has 66 runs and only one podium, so thats not that much to write home about.

love, bridget
How can you possible say that that is anything conclusive to go by? You really think drivermerit is solely based upon stats like that? How naive and shallow is that?
Old 31 Jan 2004, 12:51 (Ref:857526)   #41
Bridget Stone
Racer

Bridget Stone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
How can you possible say that that is anything conclusive to go by? You really think drivermerit is solely based upon stats like that? How naive and shallow is that?
But dear sir mr NiceguyEddie (Jordan ,
i'm just applying the same standards you always judge Jos Verstappen by...so...who's naive and shallow ?!

love, bridget
Old 31 Jan 2004, 13:06 (Ref:857541)   #42
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Excellent news, Heidfeld is a decent driver and should be able to get the most out of what is likely to be a very average car.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 13:10 (Ref:857548)   #43
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bridget Stone
But dear sir mr NiceguyEddie (Jordan ,
i'm just applying the same standards you always judge Jos Verstappen by...so...who's naive and shallow ?!

love, bridget
Is that so? Sure, if one wants to argue that Jos is an excellent driver, I'll more than happily point out that he scored 17 points in 108 GP's. So' if you want to point out that Jos is one of the best driver out there, you'd better leave the stats out of it.

I'm judging Jos on his speed against teammates. He is, at best, as quick as Mika Salo and Pedro Delarosa and even they weren't good enough to make a serious mark on Formula 1. Just as Jos is. So, if you're 32 and still trying to make way in F1, it's best to do a massive realitycheck. Start F1-testing for a living, or leave F1 alltogether, just like everyone else of Jos' statue and age has done.

Besides, Button has had zero podiums in as much races. So he must be really rubbish, right?
Old 31 Jan 2004, 14:20 (Ref:857597)   #44
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Let's forget about Jos. He's gone, having promised much but acheived comapratively little compared to his team-mates.

Nick's record seems impressive enough to me. There have been so few opportunities for drivers to ge ton the podium recently, with Ferrari and McLaren dominant in 1998-2000, and Williams and Renault increasingly there too. To finish as high as third in other cars, retirements ahead are the main factor.

There's far more to be gained in team-mate comparisons, factoring comparative exeprience in of course, which is where Nick (matched Alesi as a rookie, beat Kimi, trounced Massa, shaded Frentzen) and especially Jenson (matched Ralf as a rookie, close to the under-rated Fisichella, beat Trulli and demolished JV) look impressive.

Jordan have got the best driver available to them, bearing experience, development skill, reliability, sponsorship presence and pace in mind.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 15:14 (Ref:857651)   #45
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Nick will do well, but I really believe Allan McNish will do better.

Allan well get the team around him, he's more of a motivator and I think is probably a tad quicker - though it will be close.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 17:09 (Ref:857733)   #46
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw quite a bit about Sauber last year. On thescuderia there was a lot of support.

I agree that Nick is excellent but I don't agree with the team comparisons. My view on Nick: quite close to Alesi; shaded Kimi; beat Massa; shaded by H2F.
Jenson: beaten by Ralf but very impressive; roundly beaten by Fisi; edged Jarno; beat JV, though not by as much as the points suggest.
Not that such comparisons are that accurate a measure since drivers' driving changes from year to year.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 11:55 (Ref:858762)   #47
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Heidfeld will go well this season, his career depends on it.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 10:58 (Ref:859912)   #48
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
If Nick can make a strong go of it in 2004 in a Jordan, we could well see him in a top 3 seat in 2005.
In Williams? I can't wait that great news. I think Nick deserves to be top driver. He beat Kimi in Sauber, isn't it?
Old 2 Feb 2004, 11:24 (Ref:859928)   #49
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
So is it actually official that Heidfeld is driving one of the cars then?! Is McMish gonna be in the other?
Old 2 Feb 2004, 15:04 (Ref:860188)   #50
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's odd how some drivers are overlooked...it could be a personality/chemistry thing?...eg. Boutsen...and we can all think of drivers who've won the right championships but have never even had a break to get into F1.

I for one would be very surprised if EJ passed over Heidfeld...he needs a known ability in one of the cars...but EJ will take it right up to the FIA deadline...he knows NH has nowhere else to go...it 's probable a money thing to get him a bit cheaper.

It won't be Wilson or Davidson in the second car 'NicGuyEddie' that will be a paying driver for sure.

Last edited by Rennen; 2 Feb 2004 at 15:07.