Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Feb 2004, 13:23 (Ref:860078)   #1
Pit_Lane_Babe
Rookie

Pit_Lane_Babe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2004.....The End of Shuy

It is said that today Ron Dennis thinks that after the end of this season, M Shuy will retire. Although he extended his contract with Ferrari for another 3 years.
His reason for this being that Ferrari have reportedly been looking for new drivers for 2005.
Is Dennis right? Or is the reason Ferrari is looking for new talent for the team because it will be Barichello that will be leaving?
Old 2 Feb 2004, 13:26 (Ref:860085)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
As Ferrari have only just extended Rubens contract i doubt it will be him leaving.

Just to add to what Ron Dennis said...he hopes that he's wrong and that Michael doesn't retire as, if, Michael and Ferrari are beaten, it will make it all the more meaningful for that victor.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 13:39 (Ref:860098)   #3
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/3447071.stm

Ron's getting mellow in his old age!

Of course it's perfectly valid, but this is just Ron's feeling on the matter. Personally, I think Ferrari know that Michael is now thinking one season at a time. Right now he isn't even considering retirement, but that could be different by the end of the 2004 campaign. Knowing that, it only makes sense that Ferrari should test the water on possible replacements, for any time from 2005 onwards.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 14:23 (Ref:860143)   #4
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes...many indicators do point to the possibility of MS retiring..which sad as it may be, is unavoidable. And it does make plenty of sense for Ferrari to consider the change in 2005, afterall, that is when many potential successors are having their contracts renewed...Alonso/Button/Webber and until recently Kimi (though a buy out is not impossible).

Quote:"Michael and Ferrari are beaten, it will make it all the more meaningful for that victor."

Barely

Take things as it comes..their "searching" around does mean that Ferrari is not fully convinced with Massa though
Old 2 Feb 2004, 14:25 (Ref:860146)   #5
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel if MS gets his arse handed to him this year he will retire. What will be his motivation to carry on? Ferrari will not slip for only a year. They may be down for another 20, who knows? BS will need something special IMO to keep Ferrari in the title chase this year. Its very unlike Ferrari to be in the mid pack during testing.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 14:31 (Ref:860151)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R

Quote:"Michael and Ferrari are beaten, it will make it all the more meaningful for that victor."

Barely

Gt_R, you missed off the most important word.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
if, Michael and Ferrari are beaten, it will make it all the more meaningful for that victor.
Don't understand your Barely part? Surely every driver/team boss wants to beat Michael and Ferrari, thats what i meant.

Bit like saying, was winning a WDC with Senna in it, more satisfying that winning one without him in it.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 14:32 (Ref:860152)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/3447071.stm
Of course it's perfectly valid, but this is just Ron's feeling on the matter.
Certainly is!
Quote:
the beeb
"I don't think he'll be driving in 2005. That's what I think. I don't know," Dennis said.
Everyone has his theory!.
Mine is 2006!
Old 2 Feb 2004, 16:00 (Ref:860237)   #8
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be glad [not really] when he does retire - it will end speculation - then the questions will be; "what if Schumi was still driving bla bla bla..."
Old 2 Feb 2004, 17:53 (Ref:860307)   #9
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, it's always the same with any driver. What if he was still driving? What if he was in another team? The list could go on and on.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 21:08 (Ref:860646)   #10
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shumie to retire?

If you belive what Ron Dennis says this will be Shumies last year.If this does happen who would replace him at Ferrari?

The Guumpy1

MERGED: merged into the other Michael retirement thread

Last edited by Adam43; 2 Feb 2004 at 21:20.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 23:40 (Ref:860828)   #11
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I think its more wishfill thinking than anything else
Old 3 Feb 2004, 09:28 (Ref:861178)   #12
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think TGF will retire from F1 at the end of this season, but i dont think that will be the end of him, Le Mans may be his next target!
Old 3 Feb 2004, 10:21 (Ref:861207)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't expect Michael to race on after F1. He doesn't seem to be one of the guys who cherishes racing of any kind the way Mario does. In his eyes there probably isn't enough to gain from doing Le Mans, and he's already ruled out Indy racing.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 12:56 (Ref:861324)   #14
oblivion
Rookie

oblivion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't expect Michael to retire for a couple of seasons yet. He's still the best and needs to be beaten. What would be the point of him retiring unbeaten?
Old 3 Feb 2004, 13:10 (Ref:861349)   #15
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
And why should we believe the Ronster anyway?
Old 3 Feb 2004, 13:20 (Ref:861359)   #16
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
I feel if MS gets his arse handed to him this year he will retire. What will be his motivation to carry on? Ferrari will not slip for only a year. They may be down for another 20, who knows? BS will need something special IMO to keep Ferrari in the title chase this year. Its very unlike Ferrari to be in the mid pack during testing.
IF, is a very big word when it comes to Michael, but IF he does get beat, his motivation will clearly be, to come back and win the championship all over again, and show the world that he is indeed the greatest of all time. The Ferrari team for the most part, will be intact for the forseeable future, and I see no reason why they will slip into the mid-field.

What better motivation could there possibly be, than to go out on top?
Old 3 Feb 2004, 13:22 (Ref:861362)   #17
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
I think its more wishfill thinking than anything else
That's exactly right IMO, Wrex.
It reminds me of those Manchester City fans (supposing there are some like this) who wish that the Devils might go into bankruptcy just to become the best team of the city.

"as we can't beat him, let's hope he retires"

Not exactly the top of sportmanship.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 13:37 (Ref:861378)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
"as we can't beat him, let's hope he retires"

Not exactly the top of sportmanship.
I think it is worth mentioning that is not Ron's attitude:
Quote:
Ron http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/3447071.stm
"What do we want? I want him to race until 2006 or beyond, so that we can beat him," he said.

Last edited by Adam43; 3 Feb 2004 at 13:37.