Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Feb 2006, 20:46 (Ref:1521254)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why have tyre stops returned?

?
Old 12 Feb 2006, 20:56 (Ref:1521273)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Simple.

Ferrari is evil.

The FIA is evil.

They combine forces to create Ultimate Evil.

Tyre stops are this Ultimate Evil in its physical form.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 21:06 (Ref:1521293)   #3
scotty306
Rookie

scotty306 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My guess would be safety.
A tyre failure is usually going to cause a big accident and last years rules encouraged teams to push their luck on badly worn tyres.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 21:35 (Ref:1521314)   #4
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I also think that safety is a main reason for the tyre stops to return, especially after what happened to Kimi in Nurburgring and in Indianapolis.

I am in favour of tyre changes, and If I'd have to choose, I prefer to see tyre changes rather than refuelling the car.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 22:06 (Ref:1521330)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Because Ferrari were losing.

We all know that Ferrari is the evil empire with the ambition to rule the universe!
Old 12 Feb 2006, 22:17 (Ref:1521341)   #6
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
My guess would be safety.

A tyre failure is usually going to cause a big accident and last years rules encouraged teams to push their luck on badly worn tyres.
I've heard teams comment on this last year, and I just don't buy their reasoning.

Tyre companies are quite capable of developing tyres that last a Grand Prix distance. It's just that they naturally wish to push the performance aspect in the performance VS durability issue.

2005 was the first year of single-set race conditions. I'm quite sure that with a bit more experience they would have been capable of more consistently making a tyre that lasts the distance without as much wear.

Sadly, we won't be able to see that now because tyre stops are back and races will probably be more of a sprint format again, with the emphasis on pit stops and teams wishing to utilise more pit stops on average per race when compared to last year.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 22:38 (Ref:1521362)   #7
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
®îjñtjûh, I'm glad someone sees the truth!
Old 12 Feb 2006, 23:17 (Ref:1521389)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Guys, what is the story with this "evil empire" ? Is Star wars weekend on TV ?

I thought they were the lords of the middle earth...
Old 12 Feb 2006, 23:25 (Ref:1521395)   #9
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
lol
I think you're talking about Toyota there
Old 12 Feb 2006, 23:31 (Ref:1521402)   #10
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its right that tire changes are back, but I think they should be limited to a maximum of 2 changes during the race.

3 changes of tires in race is just way too much.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 23:42 (Ref:1521409)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
If you make a maximum then you get into all the same "classification" issues regarding changes for safety reasons...blah-blah-blah that we had with 1-tyre.

If it is 1-tyre, then that is a bearable necessity. If we have multiple stops, then there is just no point to bringing in such ambiguity.

What makes 2 okay, but not 3? Why not say only one, for two is too many? Or none, because one is too many? Or mandate 5, because less is too few?

Either allow tyre-changes unlimited, or don't allow them at all (save for said grey area of safety changes).
Old 13 Feb 2006, 00:41 (Ref:1521440)   #12
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Without tyre changes, teams still make two pitstops on average per race. And i do find it quite strange to see nobody working on the wheels last season.

I'm not too sure, but one of the things that seem to impress viewers new to F1 is how quick the pitstop is... how they change the wheels in 5secs.

Safety wise, i'm in favour of tyre changes. Of course, even with tyre changes, safety may not be 100% and tyre failures may still happen (weak structure, drivers pushing soft compounds too far), but it does reduce the window of such situations and allow teams to remedy appropriately before it happens.

I believe last year's one-off season of no tyre changes prove tyre manufacturers can make a long-distance tyres without compromising too much on pace. it would still be relevant this season, when teams find that their "harder" tyres are a better option.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 01:06 (Ref:1521451)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
For some inexplicable reason RedBull voted in favour of tyre changes when Michelin clearly had a one tyre rule advantage..Yes that's right they do have Ferrari engines.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 01:44 (Ref:1521462)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
For some inexplicable reason RedBull voted in favour of tyre changes when Michelin clearly had a one tyre rule advantage..Yes that's right they do have Ferrari engines.
Could it be, for some unexplicable reasons, due to the engines deal ?
Old 13 Feb 2006, 03:06 (Ref:1521490)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Could it be, for some unexplicable reasons, due to the engines deal ?
I'm saying nothing!
Old 13 Feb 2006, 06:04 (Ref:1521531)   #16
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
I'm not too sure, but one of the things that seem to impress viewers new to F1 is how quick the pitstop is... how they change the wheels in 5secs.
So..

1 person can change a tyre in 6 secs in other professional series
2 people can change a tyre in 4 secs in other professional series
3 people can change a tyre in 3 secs in F1

Whopty-do, they all have similar equipment so I don't think the viewers are that impressed

Get rid of tyre changes and get rid of refueling I say!
Old 13 Feb 2006, 09:54 (Ref:1521626)   #17
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebberForWDC

Get rid of tyre changes and get rid of refueling I say!
Not a practical or safe suggestion...that would mean a major redesign of the cars to have larger capacity unsafe tanks. We oldies all remember the ridiculas spectical of cars running out of fuel towards the end of races in the 60's and everyone confused as to whom had actually won, with stopped cars all around the circuit!

It seemed daft to me last year to see cars that had to pit for fuel anyway but not allowed to change tyres! 'Economy tyres' made a nonsense of F1 being the ultimate motorsport...limiting tyres is as nonsensical as F3 having to endure a restriction on income fresh air!

Fresh tyres add a performance spike to the cars performance and give the driver a fresh chance to fight on (if the cars running ok) and give us a more exciting and more unpredictable race.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 10:17 (Ref:1521638)   #18
ASCII Man
Veteran

I don't know what a ridiculas spectical is (a snake?), but alot has changed since the 60's, like telemetry and pit-to-car and car-to-pit radio communication.

Refuelling is unsafe and should be banned.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 13:42 (Ref:1521785)   #19
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
Refuelling is unsafe and should be banned.
Surely they should be allowed to refuel their cars at some point during the season!
Old 13 Feb 2006, 13:47 (Ref:1521790)   #20
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyre changes have been re-introduced, because most fans were in favour of it.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 14:03 (Ref:1521801)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The idea of the one-tyre rule being dangerous is completely flawed. First off, the tyre changes themselves are dangerous, and there is always the risk of a newly-attached tyre coming away form the car shortly afterwards. Using more tyres increases the risk of getting a dodgy one, and the tyres are approaching their limit of performance more times in the race when they are being regularly changed. I'm pretty sure there were more tyre failures in 2004 than 2005. Indy is not really relevent, that situation could've happened without the change in tyre construction.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 14:08 (Ref:1521802)   #22
Formula John
Rookie

Formula John has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Because someone at the top has been watching A1GP!
Old 13 Feb 2006, 14:24 (Ref:1521809)   #23
ASCII Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korr
Surely they should be allowed to refuel their cars at some point during the season!
Yeah, but very carefully!
Old 13 Feb 2006, 14:42 (Ref:1521819)   #24
Big-O
Racer

Iceland
Iceland
Big-O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
Yeah, but very carefully!
Old 13 Feb 2006, 15:18 (Ref:1521834)   #25
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Formula John]Because someone at the top has been watching A1GP!

Ya know, I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully they saw the helo-lift of stopped cars which minimizes the yellow-time, too.