Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Mar 2017, 19:16 (Ref:3718877)   #51
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
on the super touring front the 1993 South African series is missing from the register

races are on youtube and entry list is
My experience of TV coverage is that they rarely show a full season entry list. If you are lucky you might get a partial grid and results from each race, but usual without race numbers and team names. It means I'll need to watch every race, pausing multiple times to try to make out numbers or text on grainy YouTube footage and making notes - that's something I simply don't have time for right now.

Looking back at some old BTCC season reviews and despite the videos being 2 or 3 hours long there are times when some drivers/cars are never mentioned and only ever seen in the back of shot. So even after spending all that time watching old footage I would have no guarantee that the list would be complete.

I'm not saying that I won't add that series, just that it's not top of my list of things to do.
Old 15 Mar 2017, 19:40 (Ref:3718878)   #52
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe this stuff helps unfortunalty not all in english

this facebook group has all the infos

https://www.facebook.com/groups/136632529713459/

in 1993 only driver change was the works BMW Tony Vianna died from cancer was replaced by Geoff Goddard rest of drivers stayed the same

[/quote]
Old 25 Apr 2017, 18:57 (Ref:3729170)   #53
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for filling in the thread with irrelevant super touring stuff......

Interesting to see two BTC-T cars out at Donington in the HSCC series. I wonder if we'll see more come out of storage?
Old 25 Apr 2017, 20:31 (Ref:3729187)   #54
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope so. I'd love to see cars like the 406 coupé on track again, and there must be a few Astras around.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 23:04 (Ref:3729200)   #55
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Thanks for filling in the thread with irrelevant super touring stuff......
and just because you are so nice I will add more
Old 26 Apr 2017, 06:46 (Ref:3729237)   #56
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWiskins View Post
I hope so. I'd love to see cars like the 406 coupé on track again, and there must be a few Astras around.
There's every chance. I know Wde motorsport from the Clios have been restoring one.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 08:07 (Ref:3729245)   #57
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I'd like to see some S2000 BMWs. I loved the E46 and E90, however I am aware that the E90 probably isn't eligible.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 11:49 (Ref:3729279)   #58
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Cut-off date is 2005, so E90s wouldn't be eligible. Part of the reason is that BMW continued to produce updates for many years later, and most teams continued to buy those parts. So even the earliest 2006-built E90 would be running as 2011 spec (aside from the turbo engine).

The Integra won't now be out this weekend. Hopefully will be out later in the year. Looking forward to seeing the MG again, which has barely turned a wheel since the end of 2008.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 12:21 (Ref:3729285)   #59
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Cut-off date is 2005, so E90s wouldn't be eligible. Part of the reason is that BMW continued to produce updates for many years later, and most teams continued to buy those parts. So even the earliest 2006-built E90 would be running as 2011 spec (aside from the turbo engine).

The Integra won't now be out this weekend. Hopefully will be out later in the year. Looking forward to seeing the MG again, which has barely turned a wheel since the end of 2008.
Totally due to my curiosity, but are there any MGs left running the original V6 engine? In fact, are there any V6 MG BTCC engines lying around? They sounded fantastic.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 12:22 (Ref:3729286)   #60
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post

Thanks for the info Nigel. Are there any more late additions or no shows for the supertourers. I noticed there were a few absentees from the "usual crowd".
Old 26 Apr 2017, 16:17 (Ref:3729334)   #61
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
Totally due to my curiosity, but are there any MGs left running the original V6 engine? In fact, are there any V6 MG BTCC engines lying around? They sounded fantastic.
The Turkingtons have the car Colin drove for most of 2003, retrofitted with the KV6 and in the livery from that year. All the others were converted to the Judd K2000 engine eventually.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 17:01 (Ref:3729339)   #62
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Are there any more late additions or no shows for the supertourers. I noticed there were a few absentees from the "usual crowd".
Without wishing to fill the thread with irrelevant super touring stuff there's a few of the usual suspects I was expecting that weren't on the published list. Only other change I've heard about is Colin Turkington in an E30, although that's not mentioned in Donington's latest PR. As always it's a case of wait and see.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 17:42 (Ref:3729355)   #63
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
Quote:
The Turkingtons have the car Colin drove for most of 2003, retrofitted with the KV6 and in the livery from that year. All the others were converted to the Judd K2000 engine eventually.
Cheers. Hopefully Colin will fancy giving it an outing at some point in the future - would love to see that back on track.
Old 1 May 2017, 13:58 (Ref:3730360)   #64
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
What's this about the Protons being back in the UK?
Old 26 Jul 2017, 18:07 (Ref:3754545)   #65
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Three BTC cars entered at the Silverstone Classic. Scary to think those are now seen as historic. Interesting to see the Astra entered and also another one emerging from storage on pistonheads.com.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 18:32 (Ref:3754553)   #66
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Interesting to see the Astra entered and also another one emerging from storage on pistonheads.com.
Same car; the one entered is the one on Pistonheads. Briefly raced by Muller and Erkut, mostly used as a two-seater demo car.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 19:06 (Ref:3754557)   #67
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Ah right, is that for definite? The one on Pistonheads looks like it needs a bit of remedial work if you read the thread and it's posts from the past week. The owner is a chap called Simon Bloomfield.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 19:30 (Ref:3754561)   #68
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Three BTC cars entered at the Silverstone Classic. Scary to think those are now seen as historic. Interesting to see the Astra entered and also another one emerging from storage on pistonheads.com.
"Historic" is probably the wrong word, isn't it? What we basically mean is ineligible for current racing or obsolete.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 21:13 (Ref:3754575)   #69
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
"Historic" is probably the wrong word, isn't it? What we basically mean is ineligible for current racing or obsolete.
Where should the historic line be drawn though? If something is from a past time, it is historic and as they are from regulations prior to the current they surely meet the criteria?
Old 27 Jul 2017, 08:24 (Ref:3754633)   #70
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The way things are going these days, race cars become obsolete far quicker it seems.

Look at the early 2000's and many of the old super tourers found a new home in Formula Saloons and were kept racing for a good few years after last of the ST series finally died (ETCC and STCC).

But looking at the BTC regs, after the transition from BTC-S2000 and subsequent S2000-S2000/NGTC hybrid-NGTC years aside from the ex-Arena/Dynamics EP3 Civics being repurposed as Time Attack cars and reports of the Protons being used in Asia I don't recall any other BTC cars being used in other series'.

Surely this makes them more eligible for historic status?

It's similar to what's happened on the GT front. Since the rise of GT3 there have been less 'open' championships where older cars can still compete at a high level.

Back in the early 2000's the British and Dutch GT championships were littered with odd-ball entries from all walks of life and then defunct regulations. Ok so there's Britcar but not a lot else.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 08:39 (Ref:3754637)   #71
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
The way things are going these days, race cars become obsolete far quicker it seems.

Look at the early 2000's and many of the old super tourers found a new home in Formula Saloons and were kept racing for a good few years after last of the ST series finally died (ETCC and STCC).

But looking at the BTC regs, after the transition from BTC-S2000 and subsequent S2000-S2000/NGTC hybrid-NGTC years aside from the ex-Arena/Dynamics EP3 Civics being repurposed as Time Attack cars and reports of the Protons being used in Asia I don't recall any other BTC cars being used in other series'.

Surely this makes them more eligible for historic status?

It's similar to what's happened on the GT front. Since the rise of GT3 there have been less 'open' championships where older cars can still compete at a high level.

Back in the early 2000's the British and Dutch GT championships were littered with odd-ball entries from all walks of life and then defunct regulations. Ok so there's Britcar but not a lot else.
If no other series adopts the NGTC regulations, then all the current cars will be historic the moment BTCC moves to its next regulations.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 19:14 (Ref:3754833)   #72
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
These days, they can keep going until the laptop that manages them dies...
Old 28 Jul 2017, 08:33 (Ref:3755008)   #73
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think at least one of the Astras went out to the middle east didn't it?

Quote:
The GT Open championship takes a wide variety of machinery and the Dutch Supercar championship still caters for 'oddballs' - V8 spaceframe 'Volvos', Dodge Viper, M3 GTR, Mosler - all out to play still there!
Old 28 Jul 2017, 09:08 (Ref:3755021)   #74
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Schläppi raced a (pair of?) MGs in Germany for a bit. Quite successfully, IIRC.
Old 29 Jul 2017, 11:31 (Ref:3755428)   #75
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post

The GT Open championship takes a wide variety of machinery and the Dutch Supercar championship still caters for 'oddballs' - V8 spaceframe 'Volvos', Dodge Viper, M3 GTR, Mosler - all out to play still there!
Martin Johnson of Boulevard Team Racing sold his out to Dubai I think, I'm fairly sure he won a race in the prestigious UAE Touring Car Cup at the wheel of it too.