Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Dec 2003, 21:54 (Ref:822875)   #51
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PG doesn't have enough drivers and teams on his own. Besides, all the top drivers from that series are gone, including its champ, and my driver of the year, Scott Pruett.

Plus there is an up-start series called, American Muscle Car Challenge, thats trying to start up, and that will further drain the driver/team pool that PG would need.

This has been an extremely "silly season", hasn't it?

Danica Patrick
Old 29 Dec 2003, 22:00 (Ref:822886)   #52
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate to say it, but OWRS is going to look pretty silly themselves if this mess doesn't work it selfout!?
Old 29 Dec 2003, 22:12 (Ref:822906)   #53
Cheyne
Racer

United States
Warrenton, VA
Cheyne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the SCCA web site. There has been on movement so at the present time OWRS will only own the company that used to have the rights to operate Trans-Am, but not he series. I have heard that there is a lot of opposition in side the SCCA to sell the TA to OWRS.

" TOPEKA, Kan. (Dec. 19, 2003) – With the announced agreement this week regarding the acquisition of Trans-Am Racing, LLC by Open Wheel Racing Series, LLC, Sports Car Club of America, Inc. has issued the following statement clarifying its ownership, and the current and future use of the Trans-Am® name:

Trans-Am® is a registered trademark of Sports Car Club of America, Inc., and it has been since 1970. In that time, SCCA has entered into licensing agreements with companies including, but not limited to, General Motors, Spalding, Panoz/Sanchez Group and Trans-Am Racing, LLC.

The agreement with Trans-Am Racing, LLC, the organizer of the 2003 Trans-Am® series, was for use of the name Trans-Am® and its operational and marketing rights for the 2003 season. That agreement expires after December 31, 2003.

SCCA is open to a future agreement and there have been discussions between SCCA and Trans-Am Racing, LLC regarding this. However, at this time, there is no such agreement in place for 2004."
Old 29 Dec 2003, 22:19 (Ref:822913)   #54
Cheyne
Racer

United States
Warrenton, VA
Also from the AMCC mailing that went out there were several teams that ran TA in the To: field. Right now I don't think TA could field more that 10 cars at anyone race and I have to wonder how many would be from Rocketsports?

Cheyne
Old 29 Dec 2003, 22:48 (Ref:822957)   #55
Brian W Keske
Racer

Brian W Keske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I personaly have doubts PG will own the Trans-Am name after Wendsday. As GP Racer stated there is another series which is being formed that is aligning itself closely to the SCCA GT-1 class cars. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the SCCA will begin talks with these folks.

The new series is trying to align itself with the old vision of what Trans-Am used to be, and I feel is still valid. PG is trying to do what the SPEED World Challenge has already done.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 22:49 (Ref:822959)   #56
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Half the field would be rocketsports. with 10 cars on the grid.
if Trans-Am is going to be run the proper way, then they must go back to the original manufacturer flattering formula of awwarding points to the CAR not the driver.
so the driver gets the champion ship if he gets the most points in one car, this is how it was set up 38 years ago so go back to the real T/A and the manufacturers wil give new bodies to the GT1 and AGT guys and then we can go party
Old 29 Dec 2003, 22:54 (Ref:822967)   #57
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Cheyne
From the SCCA web site. There has been on movement so at the present time OWRS will only own the company that used to have the rights to operate Trans-Am, but not he series. I have heard that there is a lot of opposition in side the SCCA to sell the TA to OWRS.

" TOPEKA, Kan. (Dec. 19, 2003) – With the announced agreement this week regarding the acquisition of Trans-Am Racing, LLC by Open Wheel Racing Series, LLC, Sports Car Club of America, Inc. has issued the following statement clarifying its ownership, and the current and future use of the Trans-Am® name:

Trans-Am® is a registered trademark of Sports Car Club of America, Inc., and it has been since 1970. In that time, SCCA has entered into licensing agreements with companies including, but not limited to, General Motors, Spalding, Panoz/Sanchez Group and Trans-Am Racing, LLC.

The agreement with Trans-Am Racing, LLC, the organizer of the 2003 Trans-Am® series, was for use of the name Trans-Am® and its operational and marketing rights for the 2003 season. That agreement expires after December 31, 2003.

SCCA is open to a future agreement and there have been discussions between SCCA and Trans-Am Racing, LLC regarding this. However, at this time, there is no such agreement in place for 2004."

Paul Gentilozzi had NEVER said anything contrary to that effect - PG and KK had often stated that after the OWRS purchase of "Trans-Am Racing" they'll try in leasing the Trans-Am® name from SCCA or acquiring it outright. So, I do not see why is there such a flurry of posts debating this issue.

zerO
Old 29 Dec 2003, 23:04 (Ref:822977)   #58
Brian W Keske
Racer

zerO, the SCCA does not have to sell.

Furthermore, there is little approval for the direction that PG has taken the series by more than one participant. And most these guy's are on the SCCA's side of the arguement, (keeping the more afordable GT1 spec), not Paul's Carbon fiber, high tech, very costly Jaguar approach.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 23:09 (Ref:822985)   #59
zerO
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian W Keske
zerO, the SCCA does not have to sell.

Furthermore, there is little approval for the direction that PG has taken the series by more than one participant. And most these guy's are on the SCCA's side of the arguement, (keeping the more afordable GT1 spec), not Paul's Carbon fiber, high tech, very costly Jaguar approach.

Ofcourse, "the SCCA does not have to sell" the Trans-Am® name - they can lease it 'til doomsday... it's all in those $$$ symbols...

zerO
Old 29 Dec 2003, 23:14 (Ref:822998)   #60
Brian W Keske
Racer

What I'm saying is I have my doubts they will sell it, or lease it to PG. I don't think at this point the money is that important to the SCCA.

Do you really think this will be worked out in two day's? I don't.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 23:30 (Ref:823012)   #61
Cheyne
Racer

United States
Warrenton, VA
The problem is that P.G. doesn't want to pay what the SCCA wants. He would prefer the SCCA give him the rights for nothing. Hence his threat to run TA with out the TA name in 2004 if the SCCA doesn't play ball with him.

Cheyne
Old 29 Dec 2003, 23:34 (Ref:823020)   #62
zerO
Veteran

Hey Brian,
ofcourse, it will be worked-out... maybe it already is - bunch of announcements are expected from OWRS within the next few weeks... and what difference really will it make what PG's ex-Trans-Am Racing Series will be called anyhow... a new governing body (OWRS) is coming into existience and they can change the names of Champ Cars, Toyota Atlantics, and PG's TA on a whim... screw the historical aspects - OWRS is in charge now...

Personally, I never liked the name "Champ Car" and always adored "CART", but things are changing now and I (and most fans) have completely no influence on the new name selection. Such is life.

zerO

Last edited by zerO; 29 Dec 2003 at 23:38.
Old 1 Jan 2004, 06:25 (Ref:825034)   #63
Zinger
Racer

Zinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like ISC are making a play on the Trans Am name to keep it away from OWRS. There seem to be some real Bad Blood about and from my observations I can't see OWRS coming out of it all smiles.
Old 1 Jan 2004, 06:33 (Ref:825039)   #64
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What is the TransAm name worth without a series running?? Or would the SCCA go run their own??

Cannonball Run springs to mind for the name replacement
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 1 Jan 2004, 06:39 (Ref:825043)   #65
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Could you refer me to information that ISC is making a play on the T/A name?

Look, SCCA could easily have a hand in this American Muscle Car series in some way, and are using it as a back up. If OWRS doesn't get their schnizzle in order in a fizzle, then this upstart series could easily get the T/A name.
Old 1 Jan 2004, 06:45 (Ref:825045)   #66
Zinger
Racer

Zinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its what being reported by Mark C on A1
Old 2 Jan 2004, 09:45 (Ref:825566)   #67
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would be a mistake IMO to run Trans-Am next year without the TA name. That is part of the draw to the racing is the name. Sure it might have nothing to do with the original Trans-Am series in the late 60's and early 70's, but 99% of the people out there don't know that.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 21:21 (Ref:826743)   #68
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There appears to be some big problems at Trans Am.

I tried to go to their web site today, www.trans-amseries.com, and its gone. In its place is Creative Communications, which is a web page designer, that lists Gentilozzi and Trans Am as clients.

It was reported by muggle not, that Trans Am hasn't paid the bill for their web site, and none of the Trans Am entrants in Puerto Rico were paid there travel expenses or their prize money.

Again, not a good sign for Gentilozzi...

Danica Patrick
Old 4 Jan 2004, 03:06 (Ref:827079)   #69
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and the cosworth Fors engine deal? it was fro 2 years what will happen to those things? and that contract?
PG and Kk bit off more than they were allowed to chew.
I have room under my bonnet for a 2.65 litre turbo, i wonder if I can get one?
Old 4 Jan 2004, 05:33 (Ref:827137)   #70
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
There appears to be some big problems at Trans Am.

I tried to go to their web site today, www.trans-amseries.com, and its gone. In its place is Creative Communications, which is a web page designer, that lists Gentilozzi and Trans Am as clients.

It was reported by muggle not, that Trans Am hasn't paid the bill for their web site, and none of the Trans Am entrants in Puerto Rico were paid there travel expenses or their prize money.

Again, not a good sign for Gentilozzi...
If I click on your trans am link I can't get the site, but if I search for trans am in google and go to the exact same link in that I can get to the site no problems at all.

Don't know if it's a Gentilozzi problem or a browser problem.

Last edited by The Snout; 4 Jan 2004 at 05:33.
Old 4 Jan 2004, 13:05 (Ref:827338)   #71
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The TA site is now back up and running. However, according to the TAIL site it WAS DOWN for non-payment and they are assuming that TA has for now made some sort of payment to get it back up. No browser problem.
Old 4 Jan 2004, 17:27 (Ref:827481)   #72
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Thanks for the save muggle, I thought I was going crazy!

Danica Patrick