Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 22 Sep 2009, 20:46 (Ref:2546270)   #1
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's the vanished manufacturer would you like to see reborn?

Motorsport history is full of glorious manufacturers, vanished due to budget or technical troubles. Some of them have a great history, full of successes and wins. I love at the same way of the Porsche the Matra. It has been a real star in motorsport, winning everything and everywhere in its only 10 years long competition history.
Le Mans, World Sportscars Manufacturer Challenge, F2 and F1 Championships... Matra has won everywhere, against some of the most important teams, such as Porsche, Ferrari, Alfa Romeo...
I feel homesick when I think to its wonderful cars: MS620, MS630, MS650, MS660, MS670 and MS680 have been some of the more beautiful and most winning cars in motorsport. It's a crime that Matra is not here, to fight against its old rivals!
Matra has won in F1, only 5 years after made one's debut in motorsport, against Ferrari, McLaren, Tyrrel, March; three times Le Mans winner, two WSC titles...
It should be wonderful to see the new "La bande de fous" in Le Mans 24 Hours, battling against Audi, Peugeot, Aston Martin, Pescarolo, Oreca. It would be a dream to see a new incarnation of the mythical MS670B to battle in LMS or ALMS with other modern P1.
This is my greatest motorsport dream: to see Matra reborn.
Is this just a dream? I would hope not!
And what's the manufacturer would you like to see on the scene again? Is there one? Why?
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 22 Sep 2009, 21:33 (Ref:2546296)   #2
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GM.

Chris
Old 22 Sep 2009, 22:15 (Ref:2546310)   #3
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Funny, when I saw this thread the immediate thought that came into my head was "Matra" - but then, in a much more budget restricted way, isn't Pescarolo the spiritual heir? At least he's got the blue and white livery and quintessentially Gallic approach. I fear a reborn Matra would be all MBDA black and red, and not quite as charismatic.

Alfa Romeo have been absent for far too long - however they're not really vanished, still being present as a Fiat brand and thus it's not beyond the bounds of possibility to see them coming back.

Mirage always had a lot going for them - and perhaps are akin to an entrant like Creation (2009 notwithstanding), a group of enthusiasts with some engineering ability about them, and an ability to pull off a surprising result.

Interestingly an exercise like this highlights that while names disappear, it maybe doesn't make sense to resurrect them. Walking around the Le Mans museum it's great to see Rondeaus (Rondeaux?) but without the long departed Jean at the helm it would seem asinine to see the name resurrected. Equally when it's been done in the past, BRM springs to mind, it doesn't really do much to continue the heritage of the marque or revisit the glory of the past.

One marque that could legitimately come back with small LMP2 customer cars would be Abarth or, as I'd personally prefer, the more independent successor, Osella. It's a name redolent of some of Group 6's good aspects and Enzo himself always struck me as someone who ran a pretty happy business.

In a more contemporary way though, if we've seen the last of the Courage name, especially as the LC70 base has finally got a win under its belt, I'd be genuinely sad.
Old 22 Sep 2009, 23:42 (Ref:2546331)   #4
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I hadn’t initially thought of Matra, which would be nice but must have a squalling V12 engine or it simply would not be right.

Abarth and Lancia were the names that came to my mind.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 02:33 (Ref:2546360)   #5
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tiga is up for sale if anyone wants to resurrect it...one for the anoraks...

Yes I too would love to see Lancia back, and Matra too, but like the rest, Matra can only come back with a V12
Old 23 Sep 2009, 03:14 (Ref:2546366)   #6
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I immediately thought of Abarth and Alfa Romeo.

March and Chevron would be cool, too.

What ever happened to Lister?
Old 23 Sep 2009, 05:50 (Ref:2546389)   #7
Mirage M6
Racer

Mirage M6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mirage of course! But AMR should colaborate and return the sponsor

And what about Team Lotus focused in LMP2? (But not that malaysian mafia running with public money)

...or a works Chaparral-Chevrolet

Ferdinand Porsche
Old 23 Sep 2009, 06:58 (Ref:2546420)   #8
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I'd like to see Gebahrdt making a comeback , and Gordon Spice too .

Between them , they had some nice machinery .

Gebhardt http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-04-26-025.jpg

Spice http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-07-10-127.jpg
Old 23 Sep 2009, 07:18 (Ref:2546432)   #9
Tuscan 6
Racer

England
Tuscan 6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TVR, naturally. Some lovely race cars in period, the biggest baddest one make series ever with the Tuscan Challenge, and forays into British GT, LMS and Le Mans

But then I am biased.... :-)
Old 23 Sep 2009, 09:03 (Ref:2546477)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The Abarth brand is used by FIAT for their performance cars and in rally.

- Marcos
- Kremer
- Sauber
Old 23 Sep 2009, 11:38 (Ref:2546569)   #11
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
names I would like to see return must include

BRM
Vanwall

great british names from motor racing's past and success in top flight racing

With Triumph and MG as outside bets for support classes.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 11:52 (Ref:2546573)   #12
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo View Post
Yes I too would love to see Lancia back.........
Me too.......along with Maserati and Toyota (both of which would appear more likely to happen).
Old 23 Sep 2009, 12:36 (Ref:2546602)   #13
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Mr.K says, he'd like to see the Datsun-nameplate ressurected.

I think, he might be onto something.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 13:44 (Ref:2546644)   #14
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Kremer
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/KremerK9-anon1.jpg

Yeah , I would have liked to have seen this one race .
Old 23 Sep 2009, 13:51 (Ref:2546646)   #15
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
LMP2 Osella would be very nice to see.
Ditto Chevron!

I also have a soft spot for the name Delage... But it would have to be a straight 8!
Old 23 Sep 2009, 17:44 (Ref:2546794)   #16
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TVR. i always thought they were cool cars.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 22:57 (Ref:2547032)   #17
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I also have a soft spot for the name Delage... But it would have to be a straight 8!
Thats the spirit!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 23 Sep 2009, 23:50 (Ref:2547049)   #18
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A few names I'd like to see back. I agree with Dario911, the Matras were a gutsy manufacturer in that they took on Ferrari and Porsche in the middle of their hey-day. Also Alfa Romeo as they did the same without as much success as Matra. Also, would love to see Jim Hall resurect the Chapparals and how about the old Offenhauser name. They made an engine that dominated the Indy 500 for years.

DK
Old 24 Sep 2009, 00:23 (Ref:2547060)   #19
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Matra and Spice are two manufacturers I'd like to see return. I'd like to see Ferrari or Maserati and Alfa Romeo build prototypes. Sauber would be cool to see back. I'd also like to see Riley build an LMP.

Chris
Old 24 Sep 2009, 07:50 (Ref:2547170)   #20
Mirage M6
Racer

Mirage M6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter Sauber should think seriusly about a new involment in protos, F1 means no future for privaters and now he has the control of the team again (I think). Could be a clever move instead of looking for 150.000.000 euros only to be the seventh or eight in the F1 manufactures standings in 2011. They have the experience to success and a eventual LM program wouldn't be ignored both by fans and sponsors. Their C1 models are truly legends...

Ferdinand Porsche
Old 24 Sep 2009, 07:54 (Ref:2547175)   #21
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Riley? Hmmm. Small capacity Sports Cars, so it would have to be a GT2.
Who owns that name now, I wonder?
Seeing as MG Rover has gone, who owns all the brand names? Did BMW have any sort of reversion clause?
Old 24 Sep 2009, 08:46 (Ref:2547198)   #22
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No one has remebered Austin Healey! Wonderful cars! Mk3 BJ8 was a real dream, just like the Sprite, or 100! Little but fast! I would like to see a new Austin Healey on the GT2 grid!
What a dream!
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 24 Sep 2009, 08:48 (Ref:2547202)   #23
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Riley? Hmmm. Small capacity Sports Cars, so it would have to be a GT2.
Who owns that name now, I wonder?
Seeing as MG Rover has gone, who owns all the brand names? Did BMW have any sort of reversion clause?
I am sure BMW owns most of the old car names including Riley, Standard and Triumph the MG licience went to china but not the Rover one.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 10:44 (Ref:2547257)   #24
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jaguar and Ferrari on LMP1, I don´t need explain the reasons

Maybe Spice too, their cars was always beautifull
Old 24 Sep 2009, 12:00 (Ref:2547293)   #25
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I am sure BMW owns most of the old car names including Riley, Standard and Triumph the MG licience went to china but not the Rover one.
I thought they did as well- from memory, during their ownership of Rover there was some talk of BMW reviving the Riley and Autin Healey names?