Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > The Driver Files

Old 19 Sep 2001, 19:58 (Ref:148440)   #1
Invincible
Racer

New Zealand-Maori
Warrington
Invincible should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clay Regazzoni

I need to know about the racing career of Clay Regazzoni before he got into F1 with Ferrari in 1970, where did he drive before he made his GP debut, and what has he done since his terrible exit from the Grand Prix scene in 1980.

It would be good help
Old 19 Sep 2001, 21:48 (Ref:148489)   #2
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clay started his career in a Healey Sprite, before moving up to F3 & F2 with a Brabham in 1965-6 - he formed a team with his compatriot Silvio Moser. He then switched to Tecno, becoming a works driver in 1968 in F2. In early 1969 he had a short, unsuccessful, period with Ferrari in F2 with the Dino 166. Returning to Tecno, he had his best season in 1970, earning a works Ferrari F1 drive.

In his early years, his driving was regarded as "robust". He was disqualified from a race at Monza for overtaking at the site of an accident and was involved in Chris Lawrence's fatal shunt at Zandvoort. Although he was absolved from all blame for this incident, he retained a perhaps unjustified reputation for aggressive driving.

Since his accident, Clay has developed a career as a broadcaster for Swiss TV and has also driven in several long-distance classic rallies, usually in big Mercedes adapted for his disabilities.
Old 19 Sep 2001, 23:22 (Ref:148527)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fascinating to hear about the Austin-Healey Sprite. That was a new one on me.

Hasn't Clay also run a modified Ferrari Daytona since his accident, in things like the Retro Tour de France?
Old 19 Sep 2001, 23:59 (Ref:148535)   #4
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clay started his career in the Sprite in 1963 in hillclimbs and sprints (no racing in Switzerland of course) and then took a racing course at Montlhery. He then bought a Mini Cooper (forgot that!) for 1964 before moving up to F3 in 1965 with a De Tomaso (forgot that too!). He soon ditched that and bought a Brabham after trying Moser's car.
Old 21 Sep 2001, 07:22 (Ref:149039)   #5
Jeroen Brink
Rookie

Jeroen Brink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reportedly one of the bravest drivers of all times. The aftermath of his crash asked for even more courage. To me still one of the most appealing characters in the sport.
Old 21 Sep 2001, 15:46 (Ref:149186)   #6
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most important, I think... he teaches those with disabilities to drive.
Old 26 Sep 2001, 20:06 (Ref:151766)   #7
zealot
Racer

zealot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great driver … great man.

Formula 1 could use a few Clay Regazzoni's in 2002.
Old 27 Sep 2001, 11:27 (Ref:152011)   #8
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
A Regazzoni website:

http://www.totoservice.it/e_clay.html

Old 27 Dec 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1799809)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Following the very recent tragic death of 'Rega' in a road accident. I thought the following post by davhut was entirely suitable for this forum thread, too:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by davhut
My thoughts on Regazzoni:

This guy had magic, for me. My favorite driver for a very long time. I named one of my cats after him...Clay (it was a huge & gray Russian Blue).

Long Beach Grand Prix, 1976. Stomped the opposition when there was some in F1. Fastest from first practice, wire to wire win from pole in the first time race on a new track race against the likes of Scheckter, Mario, Peterson, Pryce, Niki, Alan Jones and more. Twenty minutes before the flag
on Ocean Blvd. he was sitting against the pit wall with Lauda, sunning
himself, driver's suit pulled down to t-shirt, peeling and eating many
oranges...he stood, wiped his hands on his overalls and hopped into the car
and blitzed them on a new type track that punished any mistake.
The following year I asked him to sign a few photographs, one particularly
close up portrait, and he smiled and said "remember this one," laughed
and asked for a copy.

Silverstone 1979. Trickey race with some damp, some dry, cold and overcast (the Northants way), he let Jones take the fight to the now powerful Renault turbos and won when they all burned up. A BRDC official tried to hand him a bottle of champaigne which he refused with a hard look for a bottle of orange juice, Arabs and all sponsoring the Williams. After the race I spent the better part of the day searching around London for "Clay Regazzoni Pull Jeans and Jackets," to come away with only a keychain.

Sittling with Emerson and Clay in his wheelchair at the Marlboro team
hospitality tent at Toronto in 1987, they were telling a joke in some
foreign Euro-language and laughing so hard I couldnt help but join the
laughter despite not understanding a single word. Later, Emerson wouldn't
tell me what was so funny!

This man embodied all the reasons I lived and breathed motor racing back
then, and enjoy the vintage and historic scenes today: undying passion,
grace, humor, talent, balls the size of watermelons, and a very handsome
looking manly man. No skinny EU-jockey here. I didn't know him well, my loss, but from what I could observe, he was possessed with an unbridled joie de vivre. We should all be so fortunate to live well, die fast, and leave others talking...

He won't be forgotten in our household.
Old 27 Dec 2006, 10:49 (Ref:1799816)   #10
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for finding that John. An excellent post.

Regazzoni came from an era when drivers were more approachable and the few times I saw him with the fans he was always happy to give autographs and chat, normally with a big smile on his face.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 05:26 (Ref:1810133)   #11
SPman
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
West Australia
SPman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So sad to hear of his death
One of the people who epitomised a GP driver to me.....
Old 19 Feb 2008, 14:02 (Ref:2132540)   #12
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Snap

Clay Regazzoni practicing the Ensign MN06 at Silverstone in 1977

Old 22 Jun 2009, 07:31 (Ref:2488062)   #13
drivers71
Rookie

Italy
Birmingham, England
drivers71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An excellent quoted post from 'Davhut', John, and while not wishing to trump his cat, we christened our son (now 26) James Clay, in deference to, and appreciation of, the great man - while he was still with us. He may not have been the technically best driver of his time, but for me he was the epitome of what a racing driver should be - He had all the charisma and characteristics that have been sadly lacking in the sport since his time.
I echo all the sentiments expressed here.
Old 22 Jun 2009, 19:01 (Ref:2488514)   #14
redturner37
Rookie

England
Nottingham
redturner37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitesse View Post
Clay started his career in the Sprite in 1963 in hillclimbs and sprints (no racing in Switzerland of course) and then took a racing course at Montlhery. He then bought a Mini Cooper (forgot that!) for 1964 before moving up to F3 in 1965 with a De Tomaso (forgot that too!). He soon ditched that and bought a Brabham after trying Moser's car.
He also competed in a Techno F3 1000 screamer for the works.....