Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who will come out on top in 2005?
Button by a nose 14 13.33%
Webber by a nose 42 40.00%
Too close to call 23 21.90%
Button by miles 13 12.38%
Webber by miles 13 12.38%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 Aug 2004, 08:20 (Ref:1057897)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button vs Webber

Who will win out in 2005?
Old 6 Aug 2004, 08:27 (Ref:1057906)   #2
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Re: Button vs Webber

For starter, I have to admit that its very tough call. I think Button vs Webber look to be a very evenly matched pairing. The battle, as well as Kimi vs Juan, should be very interesting to watch.

But still, I think Buton will wins the battle.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 08:29 (Ref:1057910)   #3
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say on balance JB would edge it

webber must be gutted!
Old 6 Aug 2004, 08:29 (Ref:1057912)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Button for me. He's proved he can run up front, given a decent car. Webber still has plenty to prove to justify the tag he's gained......
Old 6 Aug 2004, 08:57 (Ref:1057928)   #5
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button is both consistent and smooth. Webber is neither. Simple really. Webber will probably pull out a few stunning qualifying laps though. Will be excellent to watch either ways.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 08:59 (Ref:1057931)   #6
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I won't even try to predict who'll win between these two!
It will very likely come down to good/bad luck in the end as to who has the highest points/best lap times
They'll do it abit differently...
It'll be VERY interesting that's for sure!
Old 6 Aug 2004, 09:05 (Ref:1057936)   #7
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Denham, Bedfordshire
Flat Out Farr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Patrick and Frank will enjoy the battle, as both drivers are no nonsense, go for it guys. I remember well, Alan Jones and how he drove! Great stuff! Can't wait. bet that surprised Dave Richards, when he found out!!
Old 6 Aug 2004, 09:18 (Ref:1057954)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mark Webber will galvanise the team around him, because he can develop the vehicle... and will give enormous strength to that side of the team that the other driver is yet to prove he can.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 6 Aug 2004, 09:20 (Ref:1057956)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ooh controversy! Button with the better results, Webber with the fan base and a hard rep.

Seems pretty equal to me and as to galvanising the team around him? Won't happen, they'll both get equal treatment which is the team ethos.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 09:34 (Ref:1057965)   #10
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Webber will thump him
Old 6 Aug 2004, 10:00 (Ref:1057984)   #11
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I'm already looking forward to the 1st race next year. I don't think there will be much in it.

I certainly don't think that Webber will be too worried (as some people suggest), and I doubt either will start as the teams clear #1 driver.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 10:01 (Ref:1057988)   #12
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you'll get a better battle than the Ralf/Montoya battle as the fighting will be on the track and fair (I'd guess looking from button/webbers past). They'll work as a team to get the team forward and drive the pants off each other in the races.

I look forward to this shock pairing.

I think button was unwise to snub DR / BAR after all, they played a big part in putting his career back on track.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 10:03 (Ref:1057992)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Button will just edge it.

He knows the team already and can just slot back in - and I think he ultimately has more potential.

Both drivers will be a bloody good job.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 10:11 (Ref:1058002)   #14
tally-bally-ho
Rookie

tally-bally-ho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Skam85 - "Webber will thump him"

He'll have to catch him first!
Old 6 Aug 2004, 10:21 (Ref:1058013)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Ha ha, looking through these , the Aussies all say Mark, the Brits all say Jenson, how imaginative is that?

The beauty of this is either of them can win this battle, but neither of them will thump, hammer, kill or dominate each other.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 10:24 (Ref:1058017)   #16
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
I am not the Brits, and my vote goes for Jenson.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 10:41 (Ref:1058039)   #17
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
Ha ha, looking through these , the Aussies all say Mark, the Brits all say Jenson, how imaginative is that?

The beauty of this is either of them can win this battle, but neither of them will thump, hammer, kill or dominate each other.
If your gonna quote me on MSN V, at least give me credit

This thread is a saver though
Old 6 Aug 2004, 10:47 (Ref:1058043)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I hereby give Wrex credit for the above and wholeheartidly agree with him, thats why i posted it
Old 6 Aug 2004, 10:52 (Ref:1058048)   #19
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by tally-bally-ho
Skam85 - "Webber will thump him"

He'll have to catch him first!
We'll see....

And Mr V, what if Webber abolishes , annihilates or shoots him out of the water ??
Old 6 Aug 2004, 11:03 (Ref:1058061)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
Not gonna happen Skam
Old 6 Aug 2004, 11:13 (Ref:1058077)   #21
Skam85
Veteran

The Button to Williams story, it just doesn't fit in. I mean, it will be a great battle between Webber and Button, but DR said on F1-live, that JB hasn't spoken to him or anyone about it. And the last time they talked Button was still focused on winning the WDC/WCC with BAR. Strange. I think it's a hoax.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 11:14 (Ref:1058078)   #22
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Depends on who gets the better equipment, and will Willams give both equal equipment????

I would like to think that Webber would outgun Button , but me's think that Willams will favour the englishman Button
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 6 Aug 2004, 11:15 (Ref:1058082)   #23
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like KB said. I think Button will just edge him. However I wouldn't be surprised to see Webber come out on top. The wild card is really in Webber's hands.

We've seen Button be consistant and run up front w/ the big boys....the best we've seen from Webber are some damn good defensive battles on his part, and a few good overtaking manuvers but nothing really on a race to race basis. If Webber shows he's truly the real deal, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he comes out on top.

Either way this is exciting for the Williams fan and should be very fun to watch next year. Additionally i don't really now if Frank cares which one of them win, the big winner here is Frank no doubt grabbing the two best drivers available.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 11:21 (Ref:1058091)   #24
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Oh Me Gord

Quote:
Originally posted by TSR
Depends on who gets the better equipment, and will Willams give both equal equipment????

I would like to think that Webber would outgun Button , but me's think that Willams will favour the englishman Button
The equal equipment argument already...jeeze...spare us this drivel.

They will get equal equipment, they will get equal status (unless one of them runs away with much better results than the other, which is HIGHLY unlikely) and they WILL put Williams back up where they should be.

I pick Webber, but not with a huge amount of conviction. I think his qualifying may give him track position on Jenson more often.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 11:24 (Ref:1058096)   #25
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Button has already proven he can get good results in a top car.
Webber still has to prove what he can do.

So I would expect Button to beat Webber during the first half of the 2005 season.

------------

This will be an excelent chance for Webber to learn.

Finally he is allowed to drive a top car.
Finally he will have an experienced team mate.

So he will be learning a lot, and he will certainly be improving during the season.

----------

On the other hand, Webber might be in big trouble if he doesn't get at least 20-25 points in hie first year..
He will probably keep his seat for the rest of his contract, but once Williams star trying to find a replacement for 2008, it'l be very hard to keep that seat at his age.

In the 2006 season, Webber will have to either beat Button, or be close to him in the WDC, or (in case button wins the WDC) win some races and get lots of podia (more than 10).
Otherwise he will still have a problem.