Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 6 Oct 2004, 10:14 (Ref:1116677)   #26
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am sure I read somewhere of Graham having done a hillclimb.....Cant remember where or when so it may be a total load of old whatsits...
Old 6 Oct 2004, 10:57 (Ref:1116717)   #27
abigail
Racer

abigail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MMM.... Lets see if anyone else can confirm Grahams hillclimb exploit. Where are those old buffers when you need them? So on the subject of legends, aside from the pre war stars of GP and post war stars Sir Stirling and PC & Super Ken, did any other GP boys do the hills? Stewart and Jim C perhaps? Wot say you lot? Before you come back we know the top man of all (Mr Sausages) did at least one F1 start!
Love Abigail xxx

PS the butler is shouting "They're open" so off we go!

Last edited by abigail; 6 Oct 2004 at 10:58.
Old 6 Oct 2004, 11:32 (Ref:1116760)   #28
webbo
Racer

England
Down South
webbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Abigail,

Just for you my faithful friend.

Graham Hill raced at Prescott in 1956.

I have a picture but dont know how to get it on this sight.
Can anyone let me know and i will post it.

Regards
Webbo

P.S. I wasn't around in 1956 by the way !
Old 6 Oct 2004, 11:33 (Ref:1116764)   #29
webbo
Racer

England
Down South
webbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be SITE not sight ....DOH !!
Old 6 Oct 2004, 12:59 (Ref:1116888)   #30
abigail
Racer

Webbo, you are a genius. The Butler will be ssooooo pleased. I think someone will be able to advise on posting the picture. mcb 666 seems to be the expert there. Help anybody? Oh and that will be the short course era for Prescott calls the boss. MMM.. Prescott, the garden lawn according to the Gardener. Was not always so says buffer number two. Says that one of his cousins (Hon. something or other)was part of the first walk of the site in 1937 or thereabouts, when it was a dirt track through an orchard. They have ALL been on the phone today.
love Abigail xxx

Last edited by abigail; 6 Oct 2004 at 13:00.
Old 6 Oct 2004, 13:50 (Ref:1116952)   #31
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought hillclimbing was something racing drivers did on their weekend off !!

J.
Old 6 Oct 2004, 18:06 (Ref:1117218)   #32
abigail
Racer

Oh jminsh you are a naughty provocative boy! But you are not too far out are you.

As you will be aware quite a lot of motor sport or motor industry pros do just that (eg Willem Toet etc). The old buffers say its what some racing drivers do when they get old! Its our recollection that Roy used to circuit race FF's which is where the Butler first noticed his name.

We have had a bit of a lazy day today after a busy early morning and in between the pub and afternoon nap we have found mention of Roy's latest exploit on page 20 of the comic (Motorsport News). Lots about horrible Bernie and quick locaterfields and formula boring as well. And the last Midland round at the garden lawn got a mensh too.

We have often asked Mr Jerry of the overcomplicated commentary why things seem to get ignored by the rags and he tells us he always sends the info through. I think thist proves him right. Of course Jerry was commentating at Curborough so that is probably how it got in.

I think Jerry commentating at a MAC event was a first was it not? The buffers think he and Mr Moody Sir make a good team and do not make too many mistakes.

They used to like Mr Robin who made many slip-ups until he disppeared almost without trace. In the spirit of avoiding disputes I have just refused to put anymore on THAT subject despite the Butler telling me a whole lot more.

Example of a Jerry commentary "and its a 42.1 from the OMS-Kawasaki driving, midlands-based body shop proprietor". Please note that comment was made with respect as none of us could do it. But we could not enjoy an event without jerry and colleagues.

Love Abigail xxx

Last edited by abigail; 6 Oct 2004 at 18:08.
Old 6 Oct 2004, 19:29 (Ref:1117290)   #33
mcb666
Racer

mcb666 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Abigail, we (you) should start a respect to Jerry Sturman thread. I have the greatest respect for Jerry and he just gave me a copy of my first Speed Scene. He doesn't take a bad photo either!

McB
Old 6 Oct 2004, 22:10 (Ref:1117467)   #34
abigail
Racer

We all have lots of repect for all the commentators especially Jerry, but all of the funny stuff is meant affectionately. But I think this thread is appropriate for it at the moment as it is discussing a legend! Can you imagine a meeting without commentary?

Returning to Jerry we think he attends more meetings than almost anybody else, and he has got two bits in MS News this week on meetings that often get no report at all in the press.

Speaking of rags, we always get MS News but generally the Butler reads Autosport for free when out shopping, usually for my Pedigree Chum "larks tongues in aspic" or "swan and flamingo" varieties at Harrods.

Love Abigail xxx

Last edited by abigail; 6 Oct 2004 at 22:11.
Old 6 Oct 2004, 22:12 (Ref:1117468)   #35
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by webbo
Abigail,

Regards
Webbo

Thought so..

Not forgetting Tony Marsh who went hillclimbing....Then did he not have a brief career in f1 then came back to the hills...
Feel free to correct me if i am wrong which is highly likely...
Old 6 Oct 2004, 22:14 (Ref:1117471)   #36
Mrs BlackX
Racer

Mrs BlackX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That reminds me.... Webbo...

If you go to www.marshalspost.com and register there, you can get a gallery to host your picture. Then you can attach it as an image in a post...

Failing that you can always email it to me and I can put it on for you...

Shireen
Old 6 Oct 2004, 22:17 (Ref:1117474)   #37
Mrs BlackX
Racer

Quote:
Name: Tony Marsh
Nationality: Great Britain

This British hillclimb ace ran a Formula 2 Cooper-Climax in the 1957 and 58 German Grands Prix and then drove a Lotus in two races in 1961. He switched to a works-assisted BRM in 1962 on much the same basis as Jack Lewis, but suffered problems with cracked gearboxes bell housings and cylinder blocks to the point where he took legal proceedings against the famous Bourne company. The Chairman of a Petersfield-based engineering company, Marsh won the British hillclimb championship six times with hat tricks in the 1950s with a Cooper-JAP Mk 8 and in the 1970s with his home-brewed Marsh-Buick special
What a mind full of erm..... information you have my dear....

Shireen
Old 6 Oct 2004, 22:46 (Ref:1117490)   #38
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Lane may well be a legend - and deservedly so - but obviously was totally unaware that I am, in my own little way, also a legend, one with an organisational bent.

Some years back, I accompanied Richard Peacock to Roy's place, as Rich was buying his Tyrell 010 from him. Upon offering us a brew, Roy noticed he was out of milk and said to Rich "Send your boy down to the shop for some cow juice". It might have been send your man, I can't remember.
Some 17 years on, Rich occasionally reminds me of this.
Old 6 Oct 2004, 22:51 (Ref:1117494)   #39
Mrs BlackX
Racer

It's nice when your friends remind you of golden moments like that diz....

Shireen
Old 6 Oct 2004, 23:20 (Ref:1117510)   #40
Beardy359
Racer

England
Wiltshire
Beardy359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gave Mr.L. a photo of his old McCrae F5000, taken at FoS last year.

Me: I took this because this is the car you were running when I started marshalling.

Mr.L.: You haven't been marshalling long then , have you?

Also remember many years ago at Gurston I had acquired a rather natty, for the time, mountain tent. Mr L. came over and spent 30 minutes talking about the tent!

Finally, do I recall Mr.L. running a six wheeler March (as never raced by the team), I seem to remember many drive shaft failures, but unbeatable in the wet.

A true giant of the sport and surely numero uno in the hill climb hall of fame?
Old 6 Oct 2004, 23:41 (Ref:1117515)   #41
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
abigail-it's a shame you didn't know Tony Marsh years ago when he and his family had a large sausage works and pork pie factory. Manna from heaven that would be for you.

Yes you are right - Jerry of the over complicated commentary Sturman is well renowned for getting every last detail in.

A typical Jerry MSN review would read something along the lines of -
"The hard trying bespectacled sun tanned Mancunian in the trusty 4 pot budget Hart fought off ex Gurston Champion Fatang Fatang Ole Biscuit Barrel in the family Gould-Connaught car for honours in the final stanza"

Great bloke is Jerry and very knowledgeable. And as mcb says- takes a jolly fine picture.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 09:17 (Ref:1117815)   #42
abigail
Racer

Not sausages, I prefer a chinese

Quote:
Originally posted by Fireblade
abigail-it's a shame you didn't know Tony Marsh years ago when he and his family had a large sausage works and pork pie factory. Manna from heaven that would be for you.
Sorry to say i'm not a fan of sausages or pork pies. A nice Chinese take-away on the way home from a meeting is more my style.
Love Abigail xxx
Old 7 Oct 2004, 09:26 (Ref:1117819)   #43
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by diz
[B
"Send your boy down to the shop for some cow juice". It might have been send your man, I can't remember.
[/B]
Nothing much seems to have changed in 17 years eh Diz, only now you bring the cow juice to meetings for us.
Old 9 Oct 2004, 05:45 (Ref:1119492)   #44
abigial
Rookie

abigial should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by webbo
Abigail,

Regards
Webbo

What about former Champion Mike MacDowel one F1 race Rouen July 7th 1957.

Other F1 drivers that have been at Shelsley or Curborough ?

John Surtess, Geoff Lees, Stirling Moss, Takuma Sato, Stuart Lewis Evans, Vic Elford, Tony Brooks, Tony Rolt, Tony Brise, Divina Galica, Ken Richardson, Les Leston, John Nicholson, John Miles, Derek Bell, Innes Ireland??????????? Any more????????????

Love from an imposter.

Last edited by abigial; 9 Oct 2004 at 05:47.
Old 9 Oct 2004, 09:32 (Ref:1119587)   #45
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hans Stuck turned up in an Auto Union.
Old 9 Oct 2004, 10:45 (Ref:1119625)   #46
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hans Stuck turned up at Shelsley in 1930 driving an Austro-Daimler. As did Mercedes driver Rudolph Carraciola with Mercedes racing manager Albert Neubauer riding as passenger.

Stuck set a new record of 42.8 secs which held for some years.
Stuck returned in the Auto Union in 1936 but torrential rain put paid to any chance of a new record. By all accounts it was a most entertaining run.

Last edited by Fireblade; 9 Oct 2004 at 10:48.
Old 9 Oct 2004, 11:59 (Ref:1119649)   #47
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I put the honorary 10a suggestion to Mr Hillclimb (Tony) last night. Roy himself quite fancies running as 0...
Old 9 Oct 2004, 12:01 (Ref:1119651)   #48
blackx
Veteran

England
A La Damon Hill.....That should get a few tongues wagging
Old 9 Oct 2004, 12:31 (Ref:1119673)   #49
DaveK
Racer

England
Whitchurch
DaveK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have loved to have seen tony's face when you put that suggestion to him
Old 9 Oct 2004, 14:44 (Ref:1119753)   #50
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quite thoughtful and with a little chuckle...