Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 21 Oct 2001, 15:00 (Ref:163547)   #1
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
goodbye Super Touring

After all the Estoril action (Meanie Larini!), I have to say I am sad to see Super Touring go.
Will ST continue in regional/national Championships? What about Sweden?
Old 21 Oct 2001, 16:17 (Ref:163572)   #2
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think ST is definatly still got a bit of life left in it, but for how long? The cars are still good to run as the UK Formula saloons series proves but they are expensive machines, and the BTC stlye rules are definalty the future Worldwide.
Old 22 Oct 2001, 01:15 (Ref:163727)   #3
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is sad to see them go and i think they will still be around in some national championships. eg... in Australia ST race with Future Tourer V8 Fords and Holdens, and flog them, even a 1994 Alfa beats them.

As for BTC Touring being the future, i won't happen i don't think. If it becomes a worldwide formula, how the hell would all the standard parts be issued to everyone, and all from England, the demand would be insane.

Bring back Group A.
Old 22 Oct 2001, 03:21 (Ref:163745)   #4
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last I heard, the STCC was the only championship that is confirmed for 2002 to run as the main event (by itself and not as a separate class like Formula Saloons or Future Tourers). I'm guessing it will take at least 1-3 more years before enough SP+ or ST200 or ETCC cars make it to the used (racing) car market???
Old 22 Oct 2001, 04:53 (Ref:163754)   #5
mr evo 7
Rookie

mr evo 7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's a shame to see the super tourers go(in australia that is).
i attended a meeting earlier this year and the racing was fantastic!
as far as i know, they have been invited to a meeting run by an organisation called "Power Tour".
As this meeting is a one off, who knows where they'll go next??
Old 22 Oct 2001, 05:12 (Ref:163760)   #6
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mr evo 7
As this meeting is a one off, who knows where they'll go next??
Club racing, I suppose; just like over here.
Old 23 Oct 2001, 07:36 (Ref:164302)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing is, with Super Touring bowing out at Estoril, it actually attracted quite a healthy grid. 9 Works cars, competitive privateers made a quality field.
Old 23 Oct 2001, 08:09 (Ref:164311)   #8
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
The thing is, with Super Touring bowing out at Estoril, it actually attracted quite a healthy grid. 9 Works cars, competitive privateers made a quality field.
Yes, weird isn't it. They seem poised for another season of ST...
Old 23 Oct 2001, 08:38 (Ref:164319)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
seeing as they haven't got there rules sorted for next year anyway, maybe that is what they should do.
Old 23 Oct 2001, 10:02 (Ref:164332)   #10
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria

NOW THERE'S A THOUGHT.
Old 23 Oct 2001, 17:01 (Ref:164525)   #11
kmchow
Veteran

racer69 wrote:

>The thing is, with Super Touring bowing out at Estoril, it actually >attracted quite a healthy grid. 9 Works cars, competitive privateers >made a quality field.
>
The ETCC (averaged 15 cars) and STCC (averaged 20+ cars). I guess that's the dilemma. Do you want to end off ST on a high note and move onto a new era or continue racing until all the Works teams drop out and scramble to entice them back in with a new set of rules?

What if 2 championships were created? One for the SP+ (probably more Works cars) and then one for the old ST cars (Works or more likely, privateers??). How likely will privateers be able to build/run the SP+ cars anyways???
Old 23 Oct 2001, 18:15 (Ref:164559)   #12
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
STCC will continue with Super Touring in 2002. The organisers has said that they will continue in 2003 with it aswell, but that suggestion has recived so much critisism I dont think they will...
Old 23 Oct 2001, 21:14 (Ref:164632)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
hmm, yes. The STCC will have very healthy grids next year what with all this machinery on the go, as long as competitors can manage to sort themselves out financially...

I think it'd be silly of the STCC organisers to try to get longer out a formula than what is sensible.
Old 24 Oct 2001, 05:59 (Ref:164709)   #14
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
KmChow wrote:

"The ETCC (averaged 15 cars) and STCC (averaged 20+ cars). I guess that's the dilemma. Do you want to end off ST on a high note and move onto a new era or continue racing until all the Works teams drop out and scramble to entice them back in with a new set of rules?"

At the moment there are no real rules at the moment, just speculation. It is getting to the point where there will be not enough time to prepare cars for next season. That was a problem with Super 2000, it was announced too late. These new rules needed to be fully settled by April this year.
Old 24 Oct 2001, 06:11 (Ref:164711)   #15
MaxSport
Racer

MaxSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats the best part

Given the low cost of the SP+ cars,and the fact that four factories appear to be developing and making them available, there should be tons of privateer cars.

The perceived value of the SP+ cars is such that sponsors who have been paying much more to be in ST will feel they are getting the same thing at a lower cost.

While the "hardcore" types here can tell them apart, most "fans"
and corporate types will not be able to tell the difference between the old ST and the new SPs.

Kurt Maxwell
MaxSport
Indianapolis,IN USA
Old 24 Oct 2001, 17:17 (Ref:164926)   #16
kmchow
Veteran

Maxsport wrote:

>Given the low cost of the SP+ cars,and the fact that four factories >appear to be developing and making them available, there should be >tons of privateer cars.
>
So the European touring car world is finally going Nascar style (IE: Manufacturer homologates/sells kit cars to privateers)??

>The perceived value of the SP+ cars is such that sponsors who have >been paying much more to be in ST will feel they are getting the >same thing at a lower cost.
>
Hmmmm, the lower cost of SP+ cars may then have neglible effects on the teams? The sponsor can now demand a bigger sponsor status based on spending the same amount of money or they may cut back their backing. If they choose the second option, the teams may still be struggling to finance their cars? Then, going SP+ may not have made much of a difference?
Old 24 Oct 2001, 17:23 (Ref:164930)   #17
kmchow
Veteran

Racer69 wrote:

>That was a problem with Super 2000, it was announced too late. These >new rules needed to be fully settled by April this year.
>
April?? Doesn't the season start at around that time. Surely the rules have to be in place earlier than that. How close is SP+ and this (floating/changin) Super2000 rules that you can begin building cars without knowing the exact details?

JMeissner wrote:

>STCC will continue with Super Touring in 2002. The organisers has >said that they will continue in 2003 with it aswell, but that >suggestion has recived so much critisism I dont think they will...
>
I thought some manufacturers were complaining Super2000 was too expensive. If the rules lean more toward S2000 rules rather than SP+ rules, then privateers might not be able to afford those cars for at least 2 years which makes the possibility of a 2003 STCC based on ST cars? As well, another year makes ST cars more cheaper which could bring out more teams and thus new sponsors to the series?? Isn't another reason why the STCC is so successful is b/c they have great organization and TV coverage? I'm just speculating/brainstorming. Better get my flame suit ready????