Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 May 2012, 08:05 (Ref:3080992)   #276
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
I think we had Bridgestones for the Monaco race - they seemed that durable!

Hopefully Canada will bring some hot weather and crumbly tyres!
the super softs were the only tyre not to change from last year..
Old 30 May 2012, 13:16 (Ref:3081853)   #277
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
I think we had Bridgestones for the Monaco race - they seemed that durable!
Kimi had problems with them in his Lotus... but even so, the nature of Monaco is such that you could probably peg back the entire field if you were driving on the rims
Old 30 May 2012, 14:36 (Ref:3081899)   #278
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Let's see what Canada brings to us...
Old 30 May 2012, 15:26 (Ref:3081929)   #279
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Let's see what Canada brings to us...
It'll probably be as disappointing to some as the last two were. How I long for the days when you only needed to watch the start and then tune in for the last few laps, safe in the knowledge that the only thing that you might have missed was Ross Brawn eating a Banana. The sky is falling!
Old 30 May 2012, 15:42 (Ref:3081937)   #280
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not really sure what your point is here Marbot.

if the races were so abysmal and predictable in the past then how did you manage to stay a fan throughout the years?
Old 30 May 2012, 16:01 (Ref:3081941)   #281
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
not really sure what your point is here Marbot.

if the races were so abysmal and predictable in the past then how did you manage to stay a fan throughout the years?
It's not necessarily my point of view, but it was certainly the opinions of many others on this forum, at that time.

I watch F1 regardless of the rules or regulations, because, in one way or another, they have always been contrived. If tomorrow the FIA says that the tyres must be made from cheese, then so what? It's still a technical challenge!

And Pirelli could easily argue that it's much more of a challenge to make 4 different tyres behave in 4 different ways, than it is to make a tyre last for a whole race distance or 3 race distances or whatever distance it should be that people think that F1 tyres should last for.

"plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."

Last edited by Marbot; 30 May 2012 at 16:07.
Old 30 May 2012, 19:07 (Ref:3082050)   #282
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
"plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
yes things will always change. thats the heart of it really.

if i am correct in understanding your position, for you, no amount of change will deter you from watching because inherently things have always been the same. fair enough but its not the same for me.

granted i am not at that point of not watching (so for me the sky isn't falling just yet) but i don't believe that the changes we are seeing now are being carried out for the same reasons as changes occurred in the past. so i dont think its the same.

the motives of those involved are just too different to the motives of yesterday. the new compounds were not introduced to create a technical challenge for the teams. they were introduced to make things more entertaining because that is what creates a more valuable commodity. that road leads to a place i struggle with embracing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
And Pirelli could easily argue that it's much more of a challenge to make 4 different tyres behave in 4 different ways, than it is to make a tyre last for a whole race distance or 3 race distances or whatever distance it should be that people think that F1 tyres should last for.
sure Pirelli could say that but they are not so whats the point in talking about what they could be saying. personally i would be happier if they were not taking the position of 'this is for entertainment' but that ship has already sailed.

Last edited by chillibowl; 30 May 2012 at 19:13.
Old 30 May 2012, 19:43 (Ref:3082077)   #283
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by St00ge View Post
the super softs were the only tyre not to change from last year..
Perhaps the compound is the same, but according to the Speed TV team (and they could well be wrong) Pirelli has changed the construction of the tyre, particularly in the shoulders. They stated that this would likely alter the performance charecteristics despite the compound being the same.

Perhaps someone here has something more in depth on that.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 May 2012, 19:47 (Ref:3082080)   #284
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
There's currently an excellent article on Autosport (not free, unfortunately) that explains why it is that the tyres are having very little to do with the close racing we're having this season. The main reason is because (as I've said myself) some teams last season had something that worked better than most other versions of the same thing did. Namely: Blown diffusers. All it needs is one of the teams to find another 'blown diffuser' and normal service (whatever that may be) will be resumed. Simples.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 11:58 (Ref:3115209)   #285
gandy
Rookie

gandy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand that the quickest tyre change in the last race was below 3 seconds. How long until we see a tyre that's changed in under two seconds :P

Mercedes Service
Old 2 Aug 2012, 12:42 (Ref:3115233)   #286
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandy View Post
I understand that the quickest tyre change in the last race was below 3 seconds. How long until we see a tyre that's changed in under two seconds :P

Mercedes Service
We won't have to wait for too long...
Old 2 Aug 2012, 13:27 (Ref:3115253)   #287
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
We won't have to wait for too long...
I'll only be impressed when they're sub second