Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Aug 2012, 14:32 (Ref:3118993)   #1
EGG
Racer

Australia
perth, aus
EGG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
prior french involvement in F1?

I'd been meaning to ask this during one of the lull periods in the season/off-season. But a while back I remember someone on this forum mentioning that the only thing they were grateful towards Bernie/Max for, was the reduced control of the french over F1.

I'm loosely aware of Matra/Ligier/old-Renault, but this was long before I was interested in F1 (cartoons took pre-eminence), so I'm really unfamiliar with what went on in this period. About the only things I'm aware of are Prost's shenanigans and Balestre's involvement with the 89 Suzuka decision. Was there more that went on during the 70's / 80's?
Old 12 Aug 2012, 15:09 (Ref:3118996)   #2
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
The French effectively invented motor racing with their inter-city races starting back in the 19th century. They then began closed-circuit racing of any importance with the first GP in 1906. They laid down the first GP regulations etc etc...it goes on, and therefore they always felt that they should be in control.

Until they "sold-out" to Bernie the rights to promote F1, and he subsequently mortgaged it to CVC, they organised the World Championship through the sporting arm of the FIA. Their hold on F1 was almost dominant - if you didn't like it, tough.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 03:19 (Ref:3119166)   #3
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
The French effectively invented motor racing with their inter-city races starting back in the 19th century. They then began closed-circuit racing of any importance with the first GP in 1906. They laid down the first GP regulations etc etc...it goes on, and therefore they always felt that they should be in control.

Until they "sold-out" to Bernie the rights to promote F1, and he subsequently mortgaged it to CVC, they organised the World Championship through the sporting arm of the FIA. Their hold on F1 was almost dominant - if you didn't like it, tough.
Not sure you can blame the French for that can you, wasn't the "they" Max selling to his buddy Bernie!

After they managed to dump Balestre.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 10:13 (Ref:3119273)   #4
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Not sure you can blame the French for that can you, wasn't the "they" Max selling to his buddy Bernie!

After they managed to dump Balestre.
You're probably right, but surely he would have needed to advise the FIA of his intentions?

Balestre was surely a despicable man, but I've always been totally appalled at how F1 has finished up. Run by a jumped-up barrow-boy instead of by an internationally recognised organisation. Too late now.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 10:45 (Ref:3119282)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Balestre was surely a despicable man, but I've always been totally appalled at how F1 has finished up. Run by a jumped-up barrow-boy instead of by an internationally recognised organisation. Too late now.
The FIA (Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile) isn't an "internationally recognised organisation" ?!

Perhaps you mean from the commercial side of things?

I can't imagine how it could be better run, particularly with regard to generating income for all of its participants. Even Caterham got $30m plus from CVC/Bernie for scoring no points!

Perhaps you mean from the spectator side of things?

Yes. I think improvements can be made there. But even during a recession, the Silverstone GP was very well attended. But I don't think that lowering the ticket prices in some countries would have much effect on attendance figures. Some people just aren't into F1.

And yes. It does seem very strange that the country in which all of this began, doesn't have an F1 GP, and is the home of its governing body (FIA).
Old 13 Aug 2012, 13:14 (Ref:3119334)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Strange days indeed.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 20:28 (Ref:3119956)   #7
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Balestre was surely a despicable man, .
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/despicable ..

was he really?

Ciao Marco
Old 14 Aug 2012, 21:44 (Ref:3119990)   #8
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth View Post

You tell me.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 06:56 (Ref:3120123)   #9
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
well .. that sort of answers my question ..
although i was expecting stuff that he did while being president of the FISA

Ciao Marco
Old 15 Aug 2012, 13:37 (Ref:3120243)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Balestre was heavily involved in what is colloquially called the FISA-FOCA war, a political battle over finances and control of the Formula One World Championships between 1980 and 1982. Balestre and his opponent, Bernie Ecclestone, settled the dispute after Enzo Ferrari brokered a compromise. Balestre signed the first Concorde Agreement, under which FOCA was granted the commercial rights to Formula One while the FIA retained control of all sporting and technical regulations.[2]
In 1986, a few hours after the death of Henri Toivonen and Sergio Cresto in a crash, Balestre announced the spontaneous decision of the FISA to ban Group B rallying in favour of the slower, less technically advanced Group A. Despite this decision, WRC driver fatalities peaked in 1989.
Balestre is credited with establishing specific crash test requirements for Formula One cars, significantly improving the safety of the sport. He was also a key proponent of the switch to naturally aspirated engines in 1989, also arguing that such a move was essential for safety reasons. However, Balestre has also been accused of using his power for more than it was intended. In 1989, after Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost collided at Suzuka, there were implications in Autosport magazine that Balestre was involved in manipulating the World Championship in favor of Prost, as Senna was disqualified from race victory, fined, and suspended. This ultimately led to Max Mosley's decision to run for the FISA presidency.[3] Senna fell out with Balestre who threatened to revoke his super license but was included on the 1990 entry list.[4] However, when Senna controversially collided with Prost in 1990 at the same Suzuka circuit, Balestre did not intervene or sanction the Brazilian.
Balestre was elected as president of the FIA, while remaining president of FISA, in 1986. He was replaced as president of FISA in 1991 when he lost the election to Max Mosley in October by a vote of 43 to 29. Facing certain defeat in the re-election to the FIA presidency in October 1993, Balestre elected to stand down, and proposed that FISA be abolished and Mosley replace him as president of the FIA. Balestre maintained the presidency of the FFSA until the end of 1996.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 15:05 (Ref:3120273)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Politics interfering with sport. How novel.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 20:19 (Ref:3120386)   #12
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
heh, reminds me of the history of SCCA