Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jan 2012, 08:21 (Ref:3010532)   #51
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
being fair to fisi, didn't he do the ridiculously awesome itc? that was still pretty much a touring car?
ITC cars were FAR from touring cars.

- Active ride
- Active Ballast
- Traction Control
- ABS

These things were more advanced than F1 cars of the day.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 17:13 (Ref:3014630)   #52
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chanoch Nissany. An Israeli/Hungarian businessman who decided in 2002 to income in auto racing and F1 was his aim. He did karts, Hungarian F2000 Hillclimbing and circuit races, WSR Light, F3000, and then F1 Friday driver with Minardi. And he did all that in little more than three years.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 18:49 (Ref:3014668)   #53
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Didn't do much actual racing though.

Anyone get to F1 from dragster racing? Other than Danny Ongais.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 21:04 (Ref:3014716)   #54
Mathew T
Rookie

Mathew T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
without a doubt Max Chilton... much like his older brother Tom
Old 23 Jan 2012, 12:49 (Ref:3015669)   #55
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Adrian Campos, first success was in radio-controlled car racing, winning the Spanish Championship in 1980.
Mind you that was as near as he got to winning anything in F1 after buying his way into the lower formula's, he is known in Spain as "The most unsuccessful F1 driver"
I wonder if his son will ever get there ?
At the time you would have thought Spain would be happy just to have an F1 driver.
Old 23 Jan 2012, 15:48 (Ref:3015732)   #56
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sorry if it has been mentioned earlier, but didnt Hammy also start his racing career with rc cars?
Old 23 Jan 2012, 16:08 (Ref:3015740)   #57
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He did, although it wasn't so much his route to F1.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 23:06 (Ref:3016510)   #58
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
sorry if it has been mentioned earlier, but didnt Hammy also start his racing career with rc cars?
De La Rosa too. And wasn't Alex Wurz a BMX champion in his teens?
Old 25 Jan 2012, 21:05 (Ref:3017024)   #59
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Takuma Sato start off racing bicycles before switching to cars quite late? Late teens/early 20s maybe? I'm sure I've heard that somewhere.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 21:49 (Ref:3017050)   #60
Bezzen
Racer

Sweden
Sundsvall
Bezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
Not so much his racing career path, but former ATS driver Slim Borgudd was the drummer on a few Abba singles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIks7g33Mik

Old 25 Jan 2012, 21:52 (Ref:3017053)   #61
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess Kimi's path was odd?

Formula Renault to F1?

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 25 Jan 2012, 23:07 (Ref:3017109)   #62
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Great find. "Funky Formula"? Interesting that the record label was one of his sponsors - one wonders which came first, the record deal or the car deal.
Old 28 Jul 2012, 14:06 (Ref:3112630)   #63
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
The weirdest I've seen in modern times is Max Chilton, who was at the Abu Dhabi F1 test.

He skipped all the junior formulae altogether and went from "T-Cars" (a joke kids formula with maybe 7 or 8 on the grid when I saw it) to Formula 3, thereby avoiding any need to prove himself against any of his peers lower down the order.

I know motor sport isn't a meritocracy but that took the biscuit imho....
What do you expect he could just buy his way into any championship even F1!
Old 28 Jul 2012, 16:12 (Ref:3112692)   #64
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
F1 doesn't seem to take much notice of Indycars anymore. It's more of a post-F1 series than ever before, rather than a feeder. Di Matta, Zanardi and Montoya must have been the last fellas to come from there, and they proved their Indycar worth a decade ago now. The only exception is Bourdais, but he had to dominate 4 consecutive seasons just to give a mid-back field seat in F1.

I remember Dixon had a test with Williams I think it was back around 02. Would have been awesome had he got a seat in F1. He'd probably have been more consistent than Montoya.
Just picked up on this. Brundle also won, but I believe he won the series.
Old 28 Jul 2012, 20:22 (Ref:3112855)   #65
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF_Racer View Post
What do you expect he could just buy his way into any championship even F1!
He's doing alright at the moment.. GP2 feature race winner and sixth in the championship.
Old 28 Jul 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3112926)   #66
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
I remember Dixon had a test with Williams I think it was back around 02. Would have been awesome had he got a seat in F1. He'd probably have been more consistent than Montoya.
This is one weird descision. Why the hell did williams let a new zealander who had just won the Indy racing league WITH NO ROAD COURSES AND JUST OVALS ON THE CALENDER??!! ****ing hell, Bourdais had already won the F3000 title and some races in champcar at that time (2003-2004), He's the one who deserved the test most.

However, I read that Bourdais didn't get to be Renault's test driver because he didn't want to be in a rookie program developed by Flavio Briatore. Well, I guess that was one bad step by Seb, but He's always gonna be one driver that I reckon as one of the few that really deserves a seat in a good F1 team!
Old 29 Jul 2012, 03:18 (Ref:3113007)   #67
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Stroke of the London Rowing club and no drivers licence before 25 has to be right up there!

Graham Hill WDC
Old 29 Jul 2012, 08:34 (Ref:3113082)   #68
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
He's doing alright at the moment.. GP2 feature race winner and sixth in the championship.
I can't help but think its more Carlin than Chilton. I would live to see how two decent drivers would do in that team
Old 5 Aug 2012, 09:59 (Ref:3116261)   #69
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus666 View Post
This is one weird descision. Why the hell did williams let a new zealander who had just won the Indy racing league WITH NO ROAD COURSES AND JUST OVALS ON THE CALENDER??!! ****ing hell, Bourdais had already won the F3000 title and some races in champcar at that time (2003-2004), He's the one who deserved the test most.

However, I read that Bourdais didn't get to be Renault's test driver because he didn't want to be in a rookie program developed by Flavio Briatore. Well, I guess that was one bad step by Seb, but He's always gonna be one driver that I reckon as one of the few that really deserves a seat in a good F1 team!
Bourdais didn't exactly shine when he did get the F1 drive though. And Dixon had been a frontrunner in ChampCar for 2 years when it was road-course dominated, in his late teens.
Old 5 Aug 2012, 10:11 (Ref:3116264)   #70
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
In eight years, and some 166 motor races Chilton has won two. One in F3 and one in GP2.

I wouldn't want to take anything away from the achievement last weekend, which was a very good and impressive drive by anyone's standards.

I do think it proves how track time, which of course means money, can and does prevail in the end. The longer a driver can afford to spend, and survive, at the F3, FR 3.5, GP2 level the more his chances of success.
Old 5 Aug 2012, 10:17 (Ref:3116270)   #71
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It has to be Derek Daly, who along with David Kennedy, emigrated from Ireland to Australia in 1973 to work as labourers in an iron ore mine in order to raise funds 'to become Formula One racing drivers' !