Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Aug 2012, 22:25 (Ref:3117744)   #1
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Mexico ’working on’ 2013 GP return

Quote:
Mexico is not quite ready to confirm the country’s return to the formula one calendar, key figure Carlos Slim has revealed.

We reported a month ago that the Hermanos Rodriguez circuit in Mexico City, the scene of the last Mexican grand prix in 1992, is being lined up to host formula one again in 2013, replacing Valencia.

The original report in Spanish sports newspaper Marca said the race will be backed by many of Sauber driver Sergio Perez’s sponsors, including billionaire Slim.

Telmex’s Slim, however, told Marca this week that he cannot confirm the news.

"There are many variables to make a grand prix a reality," he insisted.

"We still need a few more things before we come to a formal proposal and everything takes its time. Hopefully it can be a reality soon."

But Slim agreed that Mexico has proved it deserves a place on the calendar, given the amount of tickets for the forthcoming US grand prix that have been bought by Mexicans.

And amid the economic troubles elsewhere, Slim argued it is a "great time" for Mexico, which has "all the characteristics to (host) large events".

"We are working on a formal proposal," he reiterated. "As far as I know everything is being done in optimal time."
This is the article from Nextgen Auto. Do you think it will pull through and replace Valencia?

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/M...lim,44033.html
Old 8 Aug 2012, 22:38 (Ref:3117748)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
It would almost be a shame to see Valencia replaced after the cracker we saw this year. It seems as though the current regulations now suite this kind of track, which I think was the idea all along for Tilke and the gang.

But on to the Mexican GP itself, i'd love to see it return. It's a wonderfully unique track, but obviously i'd like to see the layout remain the same, which to be honest, I don't think would be the case.

The Peraltada would almost certainly be modified.

Selby
Old 9 Aug 2012, 12:57 (Ref:3117935)   #3
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the Peltrada has been tamed hasn't it? I know that Indy cars used to run there. A shame, as with a bit more run-off it might have been able to be used.

Doesn't it have rock concert/baseball stadium there now, as well?

It would be nice to see it back. I always remember that the drivers used to complain because it was very bumpy.
Old 9 Aug 2012, 13:58 (Ref:3117954)   #4
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
I think the Peltrada has been tamed hasn't it? I know that Indy cars used to run there. A shame, as with a bit more run-off it might have been able to be used.

It would be nice to see it back. I always remember that the drivers used to complain because it was very bumpy.
The Corner still exists and NASCAR raced on it, but for CART they used two different layouts, one that cut the Peltrada in half when it went through a football stadium and one with a nasty, slow chicane right before the corner.
Old 9 Aug 2012, 14:24 (Ref:3117967)   #5
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I would have thought that'll be the layout /\

Bernie wants this London GP with the racing going through the stadium, so if that doesn't happen, I would have thought he'd be happy with this comprimise.

Sely
Old 9 Aug 2012, 15:33 (Ref:3117988)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
The Corner still exists and NASCAR raced on it, but for CART they used two different layouts, one that cut the Peltrada in half when it went through a football stadium and one with a nasty, slow chicane right before the corner.
What is Peltrada ??
Old 9 Aug 2012, 15:44 (Ref:3117991)   #7
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
What is Peltrada ??
Whoops my typo.
Old 9 Aug 2012, 17:31 (Ref:3118016)   #8
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For those curious, this is an onboard for the Stadium layout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aRmexvizMg

And for the Chicane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ4DcehRBbA
Old 10 Aug 2012, 19:46 (Ref:3118461)   #9
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think I prefer the chicane version, as that still makes the Peraltada a challenging corner (although the stadium would make more commercial sense potentially).

I'd like to see this happen. The original Mexican GP was a little before my time but from those Indycar onboards the circuit looks like it is still suitable for modern F1. I suppose the only question is the pits, infrastructure etc. Is it up to scratch, or is Carlos Slim's money required to bring it up to scratch?
Old 10 Aug 2012, 19:54 (Ref:3118463)   #10
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_cat View Post
Think I prefer the chicane version, as that still makes the Peraltada a challenging corner (although the stadium would make more commercial sense potentially).

I'd like to see this happen. The original Mexican GP was a little before my time but from those Indycar onboards the circuit looks like it is still suitable for modern F1. I suppose the only question is the pits, infrastructure etc. Is it up to scratch, or is Carlos Slim's money required to bring it up to scratch?
Not up to scratch... yet.