Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 11 Jul 2011, 03:13 (Ref:2924880)   #301
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
So if this indeed is for 2012 what car would they run, the LMP1 wouldnt be ready by then as its aimed for a 2014 debut AFAIK.
Some kind of Test Dummy based off of the Porsche RS Spyder Evo that is run in the LMP1 class only in the ALMS......Maybe this is why Porsche didn't want cytosport running the RS Spyder anymore?(contrary to the belief that spare parts where lol.......) maybe they are focusing on adapting a RS Spyder to test dummy parts for the new LMP1 car? and coudlnt be bothered by Cytosport?

Sound like a really good possibility....and wouldn;t be surprised at Mike Rockenfeller back to Porsche...Once a Porsche Factory driver, always a Porsche factory driver.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 03:13 (Ref:2924879)   #302
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ujoint View Post
Heard that rumor from Roger Penske himself on Wind Tunnel, USA Speed Channel tonite July 10th, 2011 @0945pm.
Hmm, well I assume they aren't building a new car for 2012. Maybe they are running a GT car? Or a revised RS Spyder for the LMP1 class? In the ALMS maybe? Is there a transcript of what was said?
Old 11 Jul 2011, 03:17 (Ref:2924881)   #303
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose it could be the Porsche 918 RSR as well, although I suppose it would have to run unclassified? Would they do that for a whole season? Or maybe just a few select races?

Or maybe they are rolling out the DPs again. Who knows. I would like to know exactly what was said.

Last edited by AGD; 11 Jul 2011 at 03:22.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 03:28 (Ref:2924884)   #304
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
I suppose it could be the Porsche 918 RSR as well, although I suppose it would have to run unclassified? Would they do that for a whole season? Or maybe just a few select races?

Or maybe they are rolling out the DPs again. Who knows. I would like to know exactly what was said.
Penske said something to the effect (catch the words itself when the show airs later) that he was excited about the new Porsche LMP1 program, and I believe he said he was in contact with the head of VAG (or something like that). He also said something about opportunities to run at Le Mans when asked about the Porsche announcement. Its short, but I would really recommend watching the show when it comes on early morning hours.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 03:29 (Ref:2924885)   #305
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
As for Porsche, Penske is one of the best in the business when it comes to customer teams....If you want it done no jokes you go to Roger Penske......

When Porsche first debuted the RS Spyder they ran a porsche motorsport RS spyder at the season ender in 2005...Then in 2006 they showed u with Penske?? who would have thought? So we won;t know until we see it.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 03:31 (Ref:2924886)   #306
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post

Also, Penske never mentioned anything about DPs, Grand Am, ALMS, and the 918 RSR, it was simply about the new Porsche LMP1 announcement and the “fantastic ” 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 03:34 (Ref:2924887)   #307
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
As for Porsche, Penske is one of the best in the business when it comes to customer teams....If you want it done no jokes you go to Roger Penske......

When Porsche first debuted the RS Spyder they ran a porsche motorsport RS spyder at the season ender in 2005...Then in 2006 they showed u with Penske?? who would have thought? So we won;t know until we see it.
If you want a serious car, good strategy, incredible results on circuit and in the pitlane, good sponsor relations/hospitality as well as have a large buget to throw at it, then Roger is certainly the man for a manufacturer like Porsche to go to.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 03:34 (Ref:2924888)   #308
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Penske said something to the effect (catch the words itself when the show airs later) that he was excited about the new Porsche LMP1 program, and I believe he said he was in contact with the head of VAG (or something like that). He also said something about opportunities to run at Le Mans when asked about the Porsche announcement. Its short, but I would really recommend watching the show when it comes on early morning hours.
thats great to hear....If Roger Penske has indeed contacted Porsche...You know that Porsche is going to listen....I really do hope that Penske sells of their nascar program and comes back to Lemans.....Who knows....If the GErman mail carrier DHL decides to Sponsor the GErman car company Porsche...We could have a revival on our hands... DHL Penske Porsche!!the name that started it all.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 03:37 (Ref:2924889)   #309
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Plus, Im even more excited about the possibility of a VIP trip to Le Mans, know people at Penske and got to have a lot of fun back in the Spyder days.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 03:42 (Ref:2924890)   #310
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
thats great to hear....If Roger Penske has indeed contacted Porsche...You know that Porsche is going to listen....I really do hope that Penske sells of their nascar program and comes back to Lemans.....Who knows....If the GErman mail carrier DHL decides to Sponsor the GErman car company Porsche...We could have a revival on our hands... DHL Penske Porsche!!the name that started it all.
DHL is sponsoring one of Penske's Indycar rivals now, although it's not like they could not sponsor both. Well, plus, Penske could always poach a sponsor. I can't imagine Penske would want to close down his NASCAR programs. His Indycar sponsors probably piggyback off of those NASCAR sponsorships.

It would be interesting to see Penske at Le Mans especially if it happened before 2014 in LMP1, but we'll see what the situation is. If Penske became the main Porsche team, would it be run out of North Carolina? That would be a bit strange, although Penske certainly could open up a shop in Europe. AFAIK, his operations he used to have in the UK that built his CART cars has been closed, but who knows. Anyway, maybe Porsche will have multiple teams. Who knows. It's all pure speculation at the moment, but Penske's words certainly add fuel to the fire.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 03:52 (Ref:2924894)   #311
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
and it's certainly captured the attention of the Sportscar Universe.

i think dhl sponsors Ryan Hunter Reay's andretti autosport car.....they're has to be soem clause that says if he doesn't perform they don;t have to sponsor him....And hunter reay has had a terrible season so far..
Old 11 Jul 2011, 04:07 (Ref:2924897)   #312
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
and it's certainly captured the attention of the Sportscar Universe.

i think dhl sponsors Ryan Hunter Reay's andretti autosport car.....they're has to be soem clause that says if he doesn't perform they don;t have to sponsor him....And hunter reay has had a terrible season so far..
Penske has often had one sponsor involved in multiple programs. There was talk that if Penske had won the Audi deal for the ALMS 2011 program, Verizon would have sponsored the cars. Lets just take a look at the some of the current Penske Racing Sponsor Line Up:

AAA
Alliance
AVIS
BOSCH
CINTAS
Discount Tire
Freightliner
IZOD
Kimberly Clark
Lennox
Lincoln Welders
Mazak
Meijer
Miller Lite
PPG
PTC
Ruby Tuesday
Shell/Pennzoil
Snap On
Verizon

Add to partners with Porsche such as Mobil 1, Michelin, Addidas and Hyatt and I have a feeling they wont worry too much about DHL. Plus, according to Robin Miller the DHL deal isnt really worth that much in sponsorship terms.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 14:27 (Ref:2925090)   #313
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Add to partners with Porsche such as Mobil 1, Michelin, Addidas and Hyatt and I have a feeling they wont worry too much about DHL. Plus, according to Robin Miller the DHL deal isnt really worth that much in sponsorship terms.
lol..what im trying to say is that im not worried about them being fundede by DHL but what im really looking for is the DHL paint scheme...........The DHL paint scheme means as much to me as the Gulf painst scheme on the aston martins.....EVen in it's short history that paint scheme was simple yet fantastic.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 14:49 (Ref:2925099)   #314
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
We had a chance to meet with Ferdinand Piech and Wolfgang Durheimer,.The recent announcement of Porsche going back to Lemans in 2013, We hope we can be part of that program,nothing to announce at this point, but obviously we had great success in LMP2 in the spyder and our drivers, Romain Dumas, Timo Bermhard, and Mike Rockenfeller have been stars over there. .and we'd like to get them back in a Penske Racing Porsche and see if we cant take on Lemans....It's one race we have not been succesful in. again it would be a great honor to be there and take part in that fantastic race.
Windtunnel with Dave despain-Roger Penske voice Transcript

He sai 2013(he either meant 2014 or perhaps theyll be testing in 2013).

In addition he added Mike Rockenfeller to that bunch...did Rockenfeller ever drive for Penske? edit: apparently he did the enduros in 2006.(Luhr and Rockenfeller got picked to Audi after their performance in P2 in 2006).. Roger wants those guys back!
Old 11 Jul 2011, 18:02 (Ref:2925184)   #315
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Penske, if he gets the Porsche deal, most likely will have Dumas and Bernhard (Porsche factory drivers), but I don't think he'll get Rocky (who has a long term contract with Audi).

Only way that would happen is if Audi leaves the LMP1 field after 2013, and even then, with the WEC's proposed GT rules (allowing GT3 cars to run in GTE), Audi can put Mike in a R8 LMS if Audi decides to allow the R8 to race there.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2925189)   #316
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Penske, if he gets the Porsche deal, most likely will have Dumas and Bernhard (Porsche factory drivers), but I don't think he'll get Rocky (who has a long term contract with Audi).

Only way that would happen is if Audi leaves the LMP1 field after 2013, and even then, with the WEC's proposed GT rules (allowing GT3 cars to run in GTE), Audi can put Mike in a R8 LMS if Audi decides to allow the R8 to race there.
Somehow I missed that GT3s could compete in GTE in the WEC. What are the details of this scenario?
Old 11 Jul 2011, 18:18 (Ref:2925190)   #317
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post
Somehow I missed that GT3s could compete in GTE in the WEC. What are the details of this scenario?
First i have heared of it too, all i heared was that GT3's would be allowed in the new World GT class that will be the basis of the new FIA GT World Championship from 2012.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 18:41 (Ref:2925198)   #318
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
First i have heared of it too, all i heared was that GT3's would be allowed in the new World GT class that will be the basis of the new FIA GT World Championship from 2012.
First you heard of it because it simply isn't true. WEC GTE will be just what it is right now. The rest is only for Ratel's sprint series.

That said - the current Audi is getting somewhat long in the tooth in GT3-racing and compared to many of the newer cars it's major weakness seems to be that it is rather close to street trim as far as the engine, suspension and overall stiffness are concerned. If there should be a comprehensive Evo-version of the R8, perhaps they'll built it to GTE-specs? Homologating it for GT3 should be a non-issue, seeing that there is no real rulebook for that class.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 19:02 (Ref:2925208)   #319
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
anyone else. remember last years LMS round at Zhuhai.......where United autosports competed with Audi R8 lms GT3's in the LMS round.......

I think a GT3 class is better than an GTE Am class.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 19:05 (Ref:2925210)   #320
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
And at this point and when you have GTE as the main-show as far as GT-cars are concerned, a well thought out GTC class is better than either GTE-Am or GT3.

It'll be interesting to see what LMS is going to do there next year.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 19:08 (Ref:2925216)   #321
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
And at this point and when you have GTE as the main-show as far as GT-cars are concerned, a well thought out GTC class is better than either GTE-Am or GT3.

Well technically......the GTC class just uses GT3 porsches.......If you expand that to all GT3 cars it becomes a GT3 class...
Old 11 Jul 2011, 19:14 (Ref:2925225)   #322
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Well technically......the GTC class just uses GT3 porsches.......If you expand that to all GT3 cars it becomes a GT3 class...
That's all a matter of terminology... if GT3 means to you "FIA-spec GT3" then you'd be wrong. FIA GT3 started out as just that with the Cup-Porsche as its benchmark, but it has evolved very far away from that during the last few years and is much closer to GTE/2 nowadays than to what it was 5 or 6 years ago.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 19:28 (Ref:2925238)   #323
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I might have confused the WEC with the FIA World Cup championship, which has some cars that may race at LM (the de-tuned GT1 cars), but I don't know if that will have any real impact on the WEC and LM, though I did read that any of those cars can be eligable for LM and the WEC if they can be converted to ACO specs.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 20:17 (Ref:2925266)   #324
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post

Peter has said the LMS will have single make Porsche and Ferrari's, GT3 is deemed too expensive, and too close in performance to GTE.

I've never understood the call to have GTE and GT3's competing together, they're virtually identical, except ones governed by a rulebook.

I also think it's essential to have GTE-AM, otherwise factories would drive all but a handful of privateers away.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 20:41 (Ref:2925276)   #325
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
I also think it's essential to have GTE-AM, otherwise factories would drive all but a handful of privateers away.
What factories? Porsche and Ferrari have never bothered to field true factory teams in GTE and their "most-favoured" teams have rarely if ever driven away the competition. BMW is on its way out and Corvette will more likely than not stay ALMS-only. And all the others are at least for the moment non-issues, as a good customer team in a Ferrari or Porsche will have the "factory" squads from Lotus, Aston or Jag easily covered...

I wouldn't mind a gentlemen's trophy or something like that, but having it as a bespoke class is one step too far for my taste.

With GTE-Am and an open GT-Cup, both classes will probably suffer from low grids and umcompelling racing.