Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 13 Apr 2008, 14:31 (Ref:2176455)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
KERS and you!

F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of techonlogy, yes? It's been said that ideas for road cars come from ideas used in Formula 1. Which brings me to the KERS... Do you think it is likely we will see these in our normal cars, or is it part of Max Mosley/ F1's plan to be more environmentally friendly?

Or is it just a waste of time completely?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 13 Apr 2008, 14:56 (Ref:2176466)   #2
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its very relevant to non racing transportation - the flybrid for example has an obvious application in railways...
But the F1 rules are too restrictive
Old 13 Apr 2008, 15:05 (Ref:2176469)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What's KERS?
Old 13 Apr 2008, 15:06 (Ref:2176472)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Who KERS?

Right, I'll get my coat...
Old 13 Apr 2008, 16:10 (Ref:2176491)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
What's KERS?
It's the "...and you!" part that worries me...
Old 13 Apr 2008, 16:26 (Ref:2176499)   #6
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In these times of ever shrinking fuel resources on this planet, technologies to save fuel are of the essence, so bring on the KERS. (Remember when human beings used to race oxcarts?
Old 13 Apr 2008, 17:34 (Ref:2176547)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters

The KERs of the modern car.

It's already in use in modern cars.But I reckon it's just another 'engine management' issue waiting to happen.

Am I the only one to think it strange that my engine won't start if I remove the stereo ?

There is another thread hereabouts discussing its future application in F1.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 19:39 (Ref:2176620)   #8
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Remember when human beings used to race oxcarts?
Personally? no. Oxcarts definatley didn't have Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems (KERS) either
Old 13 Apr 2008, 19:45 (Ref:2176626)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick
In these times of ever shrinking fuel resources on this planet, technologies to save fuel are of the essence, so bring on the KERS. (Remember when human beings used to race oxcarts?

If I want to watch oxcart racing then I won't tune into the Speed Channel..KERS bad idea for F1...
Old 13 Apr 2008, 20:44 (Ref:2176673)   #10
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting that the Formula that is supposed be the pinacle of motorsport attracts so many people who are anti progress, and always look backwards through blinkered and rose tinted spectacles.
My avatar, a Vanwall, was a superb bit of machinery in it's (and my) day. It is still beautiful, but it is old and dumb.
If you want to stand in the way of every relevant development that comes along there is plenty of excellent historic racing around, but for everyone's sake let F1 continue to be relevant to the world as it is today.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 22:00 (Ref:2176716)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I am just not interested in an F1 version of a Toyota Prius..I am all progress as long as it *improves* the racing....I don't see that so far..Do you?
Old 13 Apr 2008, 23:36 (Ref:2176752)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
There aren't too many interested in Toyotas version of the Prius.

Just the odd 'celeb' who wants the appearance of being 'green' when it suits them and then hopping into the Ferrari or whatever when the cameras aren't around.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 07:59 (Ref:2176896)   #13
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of techonlogy, yes? It's been said that ideas for road cars come from ideas used in Formula 1. Which brings me to the KERS... Do you think it is likely we will see these in our normal cars, or is it part of Max Mosley/ F1's plan to be more environmentally friendly?

Well, it has been told that the 2009 KERS systems are primitive compared to the systems used in a Toyota Prius.

Just let them race with Toyota Prius cars. That would be the real pinnacle of motorsports!
Old 15 Apr 2008, 15:57 (Ref:2178144)   #14
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Course McLaren had a KERS back in 1998
Old 15 Apr 2008, 17:29 (Ref:2178197)   #15
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would someone please tell us what KERS is?
Old 16 Apr 2008, 02:37 (Ref:2178497)   #16
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kinetic Energy Recovery System. The idea is that it takes energy that is used braking, stores it, and then unleashes the stored energy at the push of a button (at least in F1)

Mick
Old 16 Apr 2008, 09:29 (Ref:2178675)   #17
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah.

Like Lexus/Toyota use in their Hybrid Synergy Drive to help charge the batteries.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 21:49 (Ref:2179322)   #18
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19
Kinetic Energy Recovery System. The idea is that it takes energy that is used braking, stores it, and then unleashes the stored energy at the push of a button (at least in F1)

Mick
The buses in Holland have been using it for years
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 Apr 2008, 05:00 (Ref:2180360)   #19
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
Ah.

Like Lexus/Toyota use in their Hybrid Synergy Drive to help charge the batteries.
:thumbup: Correct.

Mick
Old 18 Apr 2008, 08:48 (Ref:2180463)   #20
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh, so that's what it is...
Back in the late 70's and early 80's 'British Rail Engineering Ltd' were experimenting with that idea, there was a test train based at Strawberry Hill that I was showen round when I was at school. That was a case of putting power back into the 'third rail' system rather than batteries. They ran their tests in the small hours because if it went wrong it would blow the signal system!