Old 14 Oct 2014, 08:57 (Ref:3464887)   #51
snailpace85
Rookie

United Kingdom
Midlands
snailpace85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Today on BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29604437

All speculation I guess but it does show what a tangled web all these contracts produce!!!!

Scott
Old 15 Oct 2014, 07:37 (Ref:3465209)   #52
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
According to Autosport, Alonso tried to engineer a swap between himself and Hamilton. That fell through. Ferrari got wind of this and began to doubt him. Doubts piled up with Ferrari when during contract negotiations Alonso kept insisting on a clause that if he didn't achieve a certain threshold he'd be released. Ferrari is on a long term comeback strategy and wanted total commitment.

Ferrari recontacted Vettel and Vettel had his RBR clause that if he didn't achieve a top three at a certain stage in the season, he could go. He activated that clause. His departure apparently includes bring some RBR staff across. How important those staff are I dunno. Alonso is apparently locked in negotiations with Mclaren but still has one eye out for Mercedes.
As good a story as any, I'll give the author 8 out of ten for effort.

Who knows he may well be proven correct, his chances are as good as anyone else's. i love this stuff, it must drive the media nuts as they hate being kept in the dark.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 13:10 (Ref:3465917)   #53
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29660644

Looks like Button is getting ready to bail and join a grown up series for men rather than boys.

He is mates with both Webber and Wurz so makes sense. he is also pretty tight with the Buncombe's, who have a clear link to Nissan. Personally I think Nissan would move heaven and earth to get Button into the team. Porsche already have a big driver salary to pay I think.

Back in the playground, I am wondering if Alonso has over played his hand and his bluff been called. There are a number drivers who's careers are on the up and his has, well peaked at best.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 15:58 (Ref:3465961)   #54
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
If you can't get TV airtime by winning stuff, drum up some controversy instead.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 20:08 (Ref:3466025)   #55
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29660644Back in the playground, I am wondering if Alonso has over played his hand and his bluff been called. There are a number drivers who's careers are on the up and his has, well peaked at best.
Not sure i would agree with that, i am positive the vast majority of people would say Alonso is still comfortably in the top three drivers on the grid, if not the most complete out of all of them.
Old 18 Oct 2014, 02:02 (Ref:3466104)   #56
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
Not sure i would agree with that, i am positive the vast majority of people would say Alonso is still comfortably in the top three drivers on the grid, if not the most complete out of all of them.
Agreed, Fernando Alonso like him or otherwise drags that Italian piece of manure around the race track better than anyone else I could think of..
Old 18 Oct 2014, 03:11 (Ref:3466111)   #57
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29660644

Looks like Button is getting ready to bail and join a grown up series for men rather than boys.
So Jensen is racing motorcycles next year? Did NOT see THAT coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
Agree - Alonso is right at the sharp end, I'd personally go with rating him the most complete currently. How long that'll be the case is anyone's guess so best to grab him whilst he's available.
Old 19 Oct 2014, 02:41 (Ref:3466346)   #58
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alonso tried a swap with Hamilton? If that's for real, he must be pretty ******* dumb to think Hamilton would want to leave the most dominant team in F1 for years to go to the reds, who haven't won a race in 1.5 years.

A swap with Rosberg might be a little more realistic. But Rosbergs proven himself to be a good and very close #2 to Hamilton. By next year he'll probably have settled into that #2 role better, less controversy, the 1 will probably be on Hamiltons car.

Why doesn't ALonso just sign a 1 year contract with McLaren with hopes to displace Rosberg in 2016?

Could be his last big shot though. If he has to start anew building the Mclaren/Honda relationship. It's doubtful they'll be contenders next year, if they're contenders the following year in 2016, which is what Alonso would be hoping, then a third year will be 2017. At that point Alonso will be 36 and will certainly be past his peak. I think the last 1.5 yrs of Alonso's career haven't seen him that brilliant anyway, he's perhaps slowen a bit. Despite Kimi's problems.

Is he still the best in F1? I think if he joined Mercedes in 2016 I'd place all bets on Hamilton coming out on top, especially if Lewis has 3 wc's by that point and is no longer making mistakes.