Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Feb 2012, 12:22 (Ref:3031425)   #1
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Shane001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2012 Bathurst Motor Festival - Easter (April 6-8)

Speaking of Bathurst, next on the calendar is the Bathurst Motor Festival at Easter
http://bathurstmotorfestival.com.au/

If you enjoy your endurance / GT / sports car racing, and would like to see greater than sub 30 car grids , come out and support Prod Sports and our 1 hour enduro at Easter. Last year we had over 50 cars entered for the weekend, with 43 surviving to start the 1 hour on Sunday.

As well as Prod Sports, support ( ) categories include;
Aussie Racing Cars.
Formula 3.
HQ Holden’s.
Historic Touring Cars Group N.
Regulation Categories inc;
Porsche Club of NSW & NSW Road Racing Club.

Should be another fantastic weekend of racing
Provided it doesn't bloody rain lol!

I'll be there again this year in my humble Mitsubishi FTO.

Here's a video of mine from last year. If you look closely at the start you'll see a familiar yellow Lamborghini Let's hope Ted can rebuild in time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfIZPXCIvK8
Old 8 Apr 2012, 22:01 (Ref:3055549)   #2
davelise
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
davelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had a great weekend with both cars finishing strong.

Saw the DNF, what happened Shane?
Old 9 Apr 2012, 10:02 (Ref:3055726)   #3
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Images are online now for F3, Production Sports, Aussie Racing Cars and HQs.
Group N and Regularities will be done tomorrow night
Old 10 Apr 2012, 02:45 (Ref:3056155)   #4
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelise View Post
Saw the DNF, what happened Shane?
Not sure why I got a DNF as I did cross the finish line on the last lap, but yeah I think I got some bad fuel...

Ran my fuel (arrived with a full tank ) right up and including race 1, was pretty happy with where it was at. Then put in 30 lts from the fuel supplier for race 2 and immediately the car was running like a tractor under load. I switched back to my fuel (had to drive to Orange on Sunday am to get some) for the 1 hour but still no good.

Can't confirm it was definitely the fuel until I pull down the top of the engine in the next couple of weeks and see if I can identify the problem, but yeah was running fine until Race 2. Disappointing as it ruined our weekend. Car was easily good for a 2:42, and I was confident of maybe even getting into the 2:30's.

But the car is still straight

You boys did well, both cars doing 2:18's! Shows how strong your team is

Boy was there some carnage this year though
Old 10 Apr 2012, 03:22 (Ref:3056159)   #5
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oops, forgot the link

http://www.speedshots.com.au/gallery...bimf/2012_bmf/

Shame about the fuel Shane, I was wondering where you'd gotten to in that race!
Old 10 Apr 2012, 03:41 (Ref:3056161)   #6
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Yeah I was in and out of the pits I think 3 times, pulled plugs, leads, changed coil packs, checked everything we could but didn't have time to pull the rear bank as that requires removing all the intake so I'll have a look at them in the next couple of weeks, and if not will pull the injectors and test them also.

Bit disappointing but the car is still straight and will be back next year stronger again
Old 14 Apr 2012, 04:12 (Ref:3058737)   #7
Simon S
Racer

England
Simon S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane001 View Post
Yeah I was in and out of the pits I think 3 times, pulled plugs, leads, changed coil packs, checked everything we could but didn't have time to pull the rear bank as that requires removing all the intake so I'll have a look at them in the next couple of weeks, and if not will pull the injectors and test them also.

Bit disappointing but the car is still straight and will be back next year stronger again
that's ****e...

be interested to hear what the problem is/was and if it was fuel related?
Old 15 Apr 2012, 21:43 (Ref:3059887)   #8
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Well it's not plugs, leads or compression. Removed the intake manifold on the weekend and checked all these and all good. Next is remove and test the injectors and check the seals.

It's definitely fuel related, whether it's bad fuel or not of course will be next to impossible to confirm. The problem is you have your car setup and running perfectly and then you get to an event like this and have to run a different fuel. Last year we were OK, this year it ruined our weekend.

Anyway, new 2012 spec pic from Bathurst

Old 17 Apr 2012, 12:29 (Ref:3060896)   #9
Simon S
Racer

England
Quote:
Well it's not plugs, leads or compression. Removed the intake manifold on the weekend and checked all these and all good. Next is remove and test the injectors and check the seals.

It's definitely fuel related, whether it's bad fuel or not of course will be next to impossible to confirm. The problem is you have your car setup and running perfectly and then you get to an event like this and have to run a different fuel. Last year we were OK, this year it ruined our weekend.

Anyway, new 2012 spec pic from Bathurst

I feel your pain...

I would still take a fuel sample and see about getting it tested, the cost of your weekend and the consequential costs of being sold duff fuel is not funny, if there is any way this can be confirmed/backed up I think it's worth pursuing so at the very least we don't have a repeat of this.

At that meeting, you have no idea what you were paying for... (some of the drums were from Red-Bull F1, etc...)
Old 17 Apr 2012, 13:02 (Ref:3060916)   #10
alfacors
Veteran

Curious, did anyone else suffer from dud fuel on the BMF weekend? Gilmour's F3 was powered by Caterham F1 ELF Fuel
Old 17 Apr 2012, 14:08 (Ref:3060947)   #11
Shane001
Racer

Australia
not that I know of, but I haven't really pursued this yet, and until I find out what's wrong it's impossible to know if it was the fuel or just coincidence. The difficulty is being a race car you can't just change a couple of things and take it for a drive to see if you've found the problem or not

I'm planning to do a leak down test this weekend to fully rule out anything wrong in the combustion chamber, then pull the injectors and have them flow tested, though they were tested before Bathurst and were all good.

Just a massive pita really lol!

But yeah, I think something needs to change with the fuel supply at these events. Fuel is critical to the performance of your car, more so than anything else. If you're forced to use a fuel you don't normally use and/or cannot be confident in how old or where the fuel has come from, it puts your entire weekend at risk. Most racers I know who don't use expensive race fuels always buy fuel from the busiest service station they can find so they know the fuel is fresh. Who knows how fresh the fuel was at Easter.

Anyway, this thread was supposed to be about the event and not all about me and my dramas lol!

Anyone else got any stories to share, good or bad?

And as usual some great pics there alfacors
Old 17 Apr 2012, 15:35 (Ref:3060983)   #12
Simon S
Racer

England
Quote:
Anyone else got any stories to share, good or bad?

And as usual some great pics there alfacors
well, we have a so-so weekend, mostly brought on by lastminute.com car prep (waiting for parts that never arrived in time - Thanks TNT )

spent a lot of time sorting stupid small issues out, Dave DNFed his Driver A race with motion sickness, I DNFed the driver B race with a shredded supercharger belt, Tim did OK in the Driver A race but is still coming to terms with Bathurst, Scott did his usual 'drive it like you stole it' Driver B race, but managed to finish the car with no water left in it.

in the 1 Hour, I have a great start, and whilst I could not keep with Neale after a couple of laps, had second place firmly pegged, Dave however, was only fast in the pit lane , and we ended up 4th.

Tim and Scott did a stellar job coming home 2nd but once again, did half the race with no water in the engine (think we can safely say it's buggered now).

Personally, I am pleased I got down to a 2:18.6, just need more time to challenge Scott's lap record! (or at least that's my theory).

Driver of the weekend for me was Neale, never put a foot wrong all weekend, consistently fast, deserved the wins.

Video's of the 1 hour are here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRXC7FiLP3c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VkAbwzYMSA
Old 17 Apr 2012, 22:40 (Ref:3061198)   #13
alfacors
Veteran

Impressive effort for no water left in the engine!
Old 17 Apr 2012, 23:08 (Ref:3061206)   #14
Prancing Wombat
Rookie

Prancing Wombat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed.

It was a tough race for our car #31. I got a monster start, but had to surrender to a couple of Lotus who knew their way around Bathurst much better than me!
I ended up matching and bettering their times once i was settled, and had a pretty good stint.
Two laps in, my exhaust started making an awful noise, which stayed with us throughout the race. It turned out to be the lambda sensor and bung coming away from the tailpipe, leaving a nice hole.

I was also getting high oil and water temp alarms from very early in the race. My back was very hot from heat coming through the firewall. But the car was still chugging along, so we kept going.

I pitted in 4th place and Bargs got in. He did his usual excellent effort to catch and pass the Daytona (with Miedekie in it) and the with two laps to go, passed Dave in the sister (or brother, i suppose...) car, to place second.

Poor #31 was a bit of a smouldering stinky mess at the end, but she made it home!
She needs a birthday now. will have the spare engine in for Eastern Creek AND the sequential box back in - YAY !
Old 18 Apr 2012, 00:47 (Ref:3061227)   #15
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Great writeup guys and awesome pic! That's gotta be a framer

I think almost everyone (except Muston lol) was having dramas this weekend. Great to see you guys bring home such a good result for both cars considering your issues.