Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 17 Feb 2015, 17:31 (Ref:3505838)   #2526
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's more about this on the IndyCar website.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2015/02/...eils-aero-kits

Plus there's also a photo gallery relating to the aero-kit on the IndyCar website.

http://www.indycar.com/Photos/gallery?g=2684

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 17 Feb 2015 at 18:08.
Old 17 Feb 2015, 17:41 (Ref:3505841)   #2527
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well..... if you are into winglets, wing elements ,and what have you,
you will be happy. If it produces closer racing , I am for it.

Seems like it would drive up aero and wind tunnel costs though.
Old 17 Feb 2015, 19:13 (Ref:3505864)   #2528
Burp
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
Burp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awfull. Much prefer the spec kit. Glad most on here agree as the Racer.com comments were quite positive and I thought i was being harsh.

The Honda ones got to look better than that surely. The early spy shots were promising but this is dreadful. But then it's an open rule so performance dictates the way it looks.
Old 17 Feb 2015, 20:03 (Ref:3505877)   #2529
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Before

and after

I'm not too sure what to think. I sort of like it in a way, the cow hips have gone but it's grown a number of appendages. I'd like too see what the oval version looks like.

This is Chevrolet's first foray into aero for single seat cars and I expect Honda to have the edge, with their prior experience in F1.
Old 17 Feb 2015, 22:54 (Ref:3505952)   #2530
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hard to believe it but that aero package has made a pig of a car even uglier.
Old 17 Feb 2015, 23:12 (Ref:3505960)   #2531
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If its faster - its done its job
Old 18 Feb 2015, 01:31 (Ref:3506005)   #2532
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It just looks like they attached some scaffolding on to it.

Maybe the grid'll look better with a variety out there but in of itself, it just looks a little more awkward than it did before.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 01:36 (Ref:3506007)   #2533
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
If it brings back the fans, then it's done the job.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 12:00 (Ref:3506149)   #2534
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
Well..... if you are into winglets, wing elements ,and what have you, you will be happy.
I'm not.

Anyway, I'll watch the races.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 00:05 (Ref:3506390)   #2535
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looking at it again, it's not that bad. There are two elements that are throwing me off, the vertical winglets on the front wing and the loops at the very back. Get rid of those and it would look better than the generic Dallara. But then again, those are there for performance, not aesthetics.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 02:16 (Ref:3506427)   #2536
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It's chubbier and it has scaffolding bolted on. Aesthetically it's my worst nightmare.

I won't let it daunt me. I'll grit my teeth, enjoy the grid with variety and get a kick of the racing.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 16:45 (Ref:3506700)   #2537
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
IMO, It does look better! Still looks a bit chubby at the back, and of course, the Swift proposal chassi would still have been the better looking one. But who cares, Lets see how this car performs!
Old 19 Feb 2015, 20:10 (Ref:3506770)   #2538
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who let the dogs out? I mean damn that is ugly as ugly can be. Honestly I figured it would be bad, but not this bad.

What was that about aero kits curing all our ills?

Like I said years ago with this car, there are only so many fixed points on the car and you have to work with that. The key problem is that the car is unbalanced to start, complete with bizarre weight distribution and sloppy aerodynamics and construction.

This what you get when you don't allow competition.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 20:11 (Ref:3506771)   #2539
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
I'll go with what Gordon Murray always said, "If it doesn't look right, it probably isn't".
Old 19 Feb 2015, 20:18 (Ref:3506777)   #2540
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Who let the dogs out? I mean damn that is ugly as ugly can be. Honestly I figured it would be bad, but not this bad.

Like I said years ago with this car, there are only so many fixed points on the car and you have to work with that. The key problem is that the car is unbalanced to start, complete with bizarre weight distribution and sloppy aerodynamics and construction.

This is what you get when you have a manufacturer, whose experience is predominantly in lower formula spec cars.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 16:52 (Ref:3507389)   #2541
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just took my first look at the aero kits and it seems I share the same sentiments as the others. Fugly cars, that I am getting used to, which is a shame because the series' drivers are some of the best in the world.

Let's see what they do on the circuits.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 13:40 (Ref:3508024)   #2542
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post

It's not just the fixed points on the car, it's points that Indycar would not allow to be changed, like radiator mounting points...
Old 26 Feb 2015, 10:12 (Ref:3509197)   #2543
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is a Silly Season recap of news items over the last few weeks:

-Sam Schmidt/Peterson Motorsports (Honda) have signed James Jakes to driver their 2nd full-season entry.
-Sage Karam is confirmed to drive the #8 Ganassi-Chevy in the season opener at St. Pete.

-Andretti Autosport (Honda) are getting closer to an agreement with Simona DeSilvestro for their 4th car. So far, it involves only the season opener at St. Pete. http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/11...at-for-st-pete

-Justin Wilson who has been aiming for the same seat, looks like he might be out of a drive http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...lson/23986709/

All the while, Dale Coyne Racing has tested with 2014 Saturday GP of Houston winner Carlos Huertas and a guy called Rodolfo Gonzalez, whilst Alex Rossi has been linked to a seat with the team before the Xmas holidays.

KV Racing Technology has tested a number of drivers in their 2nd car which may or may not have SH Racing involvement, amongst them Stefano Coletti and Ryan Pheeny who is shipping around his sponsorship for an Indy 500 one-off deal. And team owner Kevin Kalkhoven is reportedly still in negotiations with Sebastian Saavedra and his manager, AFS Racing owner Gary Peterson.

Given the fact that proven race winners Justin Wilson, Ryan Briscoe and Oriol Servia (all three of whom are good on all types of tracks on the schedule) don't have a ride, makes all of this look like the pay drivers are going to have to finance the new aero kits for some of teams. I wonder if this might even be the case for Indy 500 only entries and we wouldn't see these drivers there either.
Old 26 Feb 2015, 19:06 (Ref:3509359)   #2544
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Wilson lost his seat then that would be terrible. Are Coyne struggling that much now? I don't really rate Huertas, the win was down to the series' stupid caution rules rather than talent. Gonzales was a backmarker in GP2 and I don't see him faring any better in Indycar. I'm not blown away by Rossi either, though he's probably a better candidate than the other two.

Coletti would be ok for KV I think. He's probably not championship material, but better than Saavedra.

I hope that Ganassi and Andretti keep their 4th cars, it doesn't sound overly hopeful for the full season at the moment though.
Old 27 Feb 2015, 12:41 (Ref:3509643)   #2545
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
proven race winners Justin Wilson, Ryan Briscoe and Oriol Servia (all three of whom are good on all types of tracks on the schedule) don't have a ride
That's very sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
This makes all of this look like the pay drivers are going to have to finance the new aero kits for some of teams.
It's manufacturers paying for the kits. If they didn't want to spend the money, they would have stayed with the spec body. But they preferred the extra spending to have a bigger marketing impact.
Old 27 Feb 2015, 15:18 (Ref:3509687)   #2546
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex Rossi has signed to drive for Racing Engineering in the GP2 Series for this year.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117845

So he won't be driving the #19 Boy Scouts Of America car for Dale Coyne's team in the Verizon IndyCar Series this year.

Wilson staying with Coyne has just gotten more likely. I guess we'll find out at the aero kit test in Barber Motorsports Park next month.

As we're talking about Coyne: he put Mike Conway part-time into his 2nd car in 2013 after Conway had announced his retirement from oval racing, and Mike won in his first race for the team at Detroit. That opened up the opportunity for Conway's 2014 season, sharing the #20 car with oval driver/team owner Ed Carpenter. Might Dale Coyne bring back Mike Conway for some races, whilst the latter is driving full-time in sportscars?
WEC and the Verizon IndyCar Series do not have date clashes for the following road and street course races: St. Petersburg, NOLA, Long Beach, Barber/Indy Alabama, GP of Indianapolis, Detroit, Mid-Ohio, Sonoma. I don't know about WEC test sessions but according to wikipedia, the WEC has 8 rounds this year. So Conway might well be available for these races. And having Pippa Mann in the car for the ovals and Toronto to share the #19 with Conway might be a possibility. Stranger driver announcements have happened at this time, so this wouldn't surprise me either. Yet, running Justin Wilson for the whole season would be even better for Coyne because that would bring continuity.

Last edited by Yannick; 27 Feb 2015 at 15:34.
Old 28 Feb 2015, 15:33 (Ref:3510063)   #2547
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
IndyCar and USA Today have entered into a joint marketing venture. If this can help boost the series so much the better.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2015/02/...g-relationship
Old 28 Feb 2015, 20:28 (Ref:3510120)   #2548
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
I can't believe that newspapers sign these kind of marketing deals.
Old 28 Feb 2015, 20:57 (Ref:3510124)   #2549
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I can't believe that newspapers sign these kind of marketing deals.
USA Today leans on the more superficial side of journalism, with sports and life-style content and because of this and like other newspapers of this genre, it has a huge readership.

I can see why they did it, they get to have their logo displayed around the race track and IndyCar gets access to their readership.
Old 1 Mar 2015, 23:03 (Ref:3510493)   #2550
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Toronto, there is an "official newspaper partner" for the event:
http://www.hondaindytoronto.com/more...r-through-2017

Some fans may be dismayed at the disappearance of the Toronto Sun "Sunshine Girls" (their term, not mine) on the grid. The Star is a much more serious newspaper altogether.