Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 26 Aug 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1391995)   #1
CookieMonster
Rookie

Wales
Manchester
CookieMonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What should I do with my old Motorsport Newses?

I am a hoarder.

So, I've got about 60 copies of Motorsport News, dating from the end of 2002 to the beginning of this year.

They aren't very old, and some of them have been in the sun so they've gone yellow round the edges, so they're not collectible in any way, but I can't bring myself to just throw them away (or recycle them, as my environmentally-conscious self would do ).

Should I just bite the bullet and chuck them, or is there some way I can find a good home for them?
Old 26 Aug 2005, 21:12 (Ref:1392160)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd take them, but I suspect you have found a home for them by now.

They are a pain in the arse to store as well. I've only got about twenty kept and yet they take up a load of space and look messy as hell. I hate them, but can't throw them away due to my propensity for keeping junk.
Old 26 Aug 2005, 21:21 (Ref:1392169)   #3
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about donating them to your local GP surgery? They're bound to be more in date than most publications they've got in there
Old 27 Aug 2005, 08:16 (Ref:1392330)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's hard enough storing all the motor mags I've got, so I draw the line at newspapers. My MSNs get binned and usually finish up lining the floors of my Wife's rabbit hutches!!
Old 27 Aug 2005, 09:34 (Ref:1392355)   #5
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

found a few in my attic the other day from 20 odd years ago and soon managed to spend an hour scanning through them. id put a few in a box and hide em away somewhere and read em on a rainy day.....
Old 27 Aug 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1392409)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, that's probably best.

Nowt like looking back at an old magazine years down the line.

It's sad maybe, but very interesting.
Old 27 Aug 2005, 12:22 (Ref:1392434)   #7
CookieMonster
Rookie

Wales
Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I'd take them, but I suspect you have found a home for them by now.
If you want them, they're yours!

Unfortunately, while keeping them for posterity is a lovely idea, I also have a whole heap of other (mainly) motorsport related stuff that takes up a lot of space at my mum and dad's house (I'm not daft enough to use the space in my place!!) - autosports, books (close on 100), models, etc. And I'm definitely not getting rid of those. I'm only just getting round to disposing of childhood things, and I turn 23 in October

I fear they may have to be taken to the recycle bin, unless they find a saviour...
Old 27 Aug 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1392458)   #8
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
imagine what its like for me....soon turning 49 and havnt thrown a mag away since me mum bought me a hot car in 1968. and i reckon iv had an average of one a week since. worried now in case im overloading me attic.god knows what it would be like if id saved all the motoring news's,its a frightening thought but i must have had over 1800 of em!
Old 27 Aug 2005, 14:51 (Ref:1392503)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I'm the same cookiemonster, I'm just about 20 years old and I've got a ruddy great pile of Autosports (about 300-400), 200-odd videos, about a hundred models, 50 books and other memorabilia. All this piled into a room about 2x2 feet.

My ol' girl is getting quite fed up with me, but I can't throw it all out......I'll be moving out soon anyways....
Old 27 Aug 2005, 15:17 (Ref:1392516)   #10
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have F1 Racing magazines and Autosport magazines from 2000 in high piles in my room, the rest of other magazines I just put under my bed.
That's a point now that I don't get Autosport anymore I want to get the latest issue of F1 Racing, is it any good?
As for my models, the 1:43s are easier to store, but I have around 40 1:18 F1 models and I can barely get out of my room, best thing to have is several cabinets.
Old 27 Aug 2005, 15:25 (Ref:1392522)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

F1 racing is still as awful as ever. No, actually, it's worse. It has a new look and is reaching new lows.

I've been saying that for the past few years and yet I still subscribe. I like the photography, but having said that it isn't exactly Autocourse......
Old 27 Aug 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1392627)   #12
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
What about donating them to your local GP surgery? They're bound to be more in date than most publications they've got in there
The local `old folks home' , school library or orphanage are also likely recipients for the reasons mentioned above. Possibly the Firehouse or Police Station?
Old 27 Aug 2005, 21:03 (Ref:1392654)   #13
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonster
I am a hoarder.

So, I've got about 60 copies of Motorsport News, dating from the end of 2002 to the beginning of this year.

They aren't very old, and some of them have been in the sun so they've gone yellow round the edges, so they're not collectible in any way, but I can't bring myself to just throw them away (or recycle them, as my environmentally-conscious self would do ).

Should I just bite the bullet and chuck them, or is there some way I can find a good home for them?
I was in the same situation last year. I had Motorsport Newses dating back to 1996, when I was 9 and was bitten by the racing bug (i didn't get one every week though). I didn't want to throw them away, but I had loads. It was a dilemma (!) But what I decided to do was just throw a few away, making me feel a little less guilty!

However, I still have around 40, along with around 100+ Autosport's and F1 Racing mags, making the bottom of my wardrobe look like an extremist collector's stash. So, my advice would be to get rid of a few or give them to someone.
Old 27 Aug 2005, 21:06 (Ref:1392655)   #14
CookieMonster
Rookie

Wales
Manchester
Quote:
F1 racing is still as awful as ever. No, actually, it's worse. It has a new look and is reaching new lows.

I've been saying that for the past few years and yet I still subscribe.
Yup, know the feeling. Have been a subscriber since it started, back in March '96 (I've just worked out how many F1 Racing's that means I have ). For the past year or two I've rarely done more than flick through, and read maybe one or two articles, but because I've got every copy, I can't bring myself to stop subscribing! Doh!
Old 27 Aug 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1392658)   #15
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
O- I also didn't mention my 20 odd books, vids, old programmes from meets, models, etc etc- I have realised my room is too overloaded with it. And im only 18 and a half! I wonder what my room will look like in 20 years....!
Old 27 Aug 2005, 22:14 (Ref:1392697)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

You'll have another room dedicated purely to motorsport stuff!

At least I will!

Sod what the wife or whoever thinks!
Old 27 Aug 2005, 23:19 (Ref:1392730)   #17
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Quote:
You'll have another room dedicated purely to motorsport stuff!
Yeah, I imagine I will! Maybe even 2 rooms!
Old 28 Aug 2005, 08:17 (Ref:1392847)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Sod what the wife ........ thinks!
Have you told her yet Knowlesy?
Old 28 Aug 2005, 09:19 (Ref:1392861)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Nope, on account of the fact I'm single. But I'll let her know when I next see her!