Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 27 Jan 2011, 18:05 (Ref:2821413)   #26
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was racing that day at Mallory. Hated it. Just a mass riot right across the track while we were racing. Fences on the outside of the track at the Elbow just smashed to the ground. No interest whatsoever in Motor Racing. Bay City Rollers were the main attraction that day.
Old 28 Jan 2011, 10:18 (Ref:2821693)   #27
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Taylor View Post
I was racing that day at Mallory. Hated it. Just a mass riot right across the track while we were racing. Fences on the outside of the track at the Elbow just smashed to the ground. No interest whatsoever in Motor Racing. Bay City Rollers were the main attraction that day.
I was spectating that day Gerry and remember it also being a traditionally Slippery Muddy Mallory, meaning that all the teenage bay City Roller fan girls who turned up in their white trousers with tartan up the side ended up in extremely muddy white trousers!
(Maybe they went into the lake to try and clean themselves up?)
Anyway, I'm sure that, on the day Uncle Bulgaria Womble waved to me, so I was happy!
Old 28 Jan 2011, 15:23 (Ref:2821857)   #28
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I didn't see this but I was in Canada when it happened. In the middle of a race meeting at Gimli an airliner crash landed on the circuit. I think it was used for drag racing as well so there was a long straight.

Old 28 Jan 2011, 16:52 (Ref:2821888)   #29
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
I didn't see this but I was in Canada when it happened. In the middle of a race meeting at Gimli an airliner crash landed on the circuit. I think it was used for drag racing as well so there was a long straight.
Actually there was a "long straight" (aka runway) because it was an old airforce base
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider
Old 28 Jan 2011, 18:38 (Ref:2821947)   #30
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Gimli Glider is famous here! The pilot who brought the plane in safely said he could only do so because he'd been a glider pilot. They had a heck of a time getting the plane out afterward because the runway was theoretically too short for that plane.

The pilot recently retired and it made all the national papers. I guess we don't have too much to talk about here!
keke
Old 28 Jan 2011, 22:51 (Ref:2822065)   #31
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wow, re the Gimli Glider..... never heard of that one. Fascinating story. Actually the whole incident sounded like something out of a Ferrari pitstop, with the wrong amount of fuel being loaded plus some dud calculations and a few strategic errors ending in staff having their jobs downgraded and others being moved sideways.

Had to also chuckle whilst reading the Wiki account (on the link given before) that when the plane glided to land the nose wheel collapsed and the plane had a resulting small fire which was put out by race marshalls and drivers involved at the race meeting underway at the time when the plane glided in with no flaps or reverse thrust to help stop it..

Good to read that there was no serious injuries to any of those on the plane or on the ground.

Thanks for bringing that one up.
Old 6 Feb 2011, 13:52 (Ref:2826598)   #32
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
As I remember, it was actually the car running in front of Pareja that pulled the manhole cover out of the track as you describe, and Pareja's 962 was hit by the debris from this- part of the cover going through his windscreen, and another part going under the car, piercing the tub and rupturing the fuel tank, the car catching fire then hitting the wall.

He had a very lucky escape, as not only had the chunk of manhole cover come through the windscreen and missed the driver, but he only suffered minor facial burns from the fire- IIRC he normally raced in an open-face helmet, but fortunately had switched to a full-face one for the first time that weekend...

The race was stopped and a result declared- think it was a bit over half-distance
It was Patrick Tambay in his Jaguar that pulled up the manhole cover I recall. I got some scans of what happened during the incident. I will have a look.
Old 6 Feb 2011, 16:19 (Ref:2826697)   #33
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is a bit off topic seeing as it is not really history.... but it does highlight the fact that Bathurst will always give you something strange. Today we had the Bathurst 12 hr GT race, and after only a few laps a Mosler had a blowout at some 270 ish kph. You know it was a biggie when you cant find your windscreen after....
(Driver Dean Grant walked away from the accident with a bit of a bruise but otherwise ok)

This was on the other side of the track and beyond the barriers.

Old 10 Feb 2011, 17:20 (Ref:2829201)   #34
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too was at the Mallory Radio 1 meeting. Still have the programme somewhere and seem to remember a womble signed it.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 10 Feb 2011, 20:51 (Ref:2829316)   #35
d-b
Racer

United Kingdom
at home
d-b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi there
long time but here goes

went to a meeting at mallory park

an intermarque morgan plus 8 went off at the devils elbow,flew over the gravel trap & ripped the barriers out of the ground,snapping the oak posts holding it
they had to cancel the meeting because they couldn,t repair the barriers

also at mallory watching toyo saloons when it was so windy that water from the lake was blowing over the track

any good?

db
Old 10 Feb 2011, 22:17 (Ref:2829357)   #36
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Last year Lydden Hill CTCRC Autoglymn Historic Festival when on of the Midget Nascars (MASCARS) on the anticlockwise oval went off the track and through an open gate and smashed into a marshals car, never see that before!
Old 11 Feb 2011, 08:15 (Ref:2829509)   #37
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Some of my other (vague) Mallory memories include a F5000 race where one of the cars managed to end up in the lake on the inside of Gerards. (In fact, I think this happened more than once).
An Ascar race (where they ran the Mallory Oval - anti-clockwise) where a car got a bit sideways exiting Gerards and actually drove straight through the (crowded) pit lane and out the other end to continue racing!
Also, there was that time when local saloon racer Graham Goode who was so fed up with comments that the engine in his car was illegal, he actually protested himself after winning the race, to have the engine stripped and proved to be legal!

Last edited by VIVA GT; 11 Feb 2011 at 08:21.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 09:57 (Ref:2829550)   #38
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Also, there was that time when local saloon racer Graham Goode who was so fed up with comments that the engine in his car was illegal, he actually protested himself after winning the race, to have the engine stripped and proved to be legal!
In 1982, after a race at Donington, Walter Warwick protested the engines of the top 10 finishers in a FF1600 race, including himself. The only engine found to be illegal belonged to........

.........Walter Warwick
Old 11 Feb 2011, 17:44 (Ref:2829749)   #39
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Some of my other (vague) Mallory memories include a F5000 race where one of the cars managed to end up in the lake on the inside of Gerards. (In fact, I think this happened more than once).
AFAIK that was Keith Holland in 1971.(Rothman's?) Oh I believe its a McLaren M10B. (Ex Gethin F5000 Euro Championship winning car?) In fact here is a pic....

I seem to recall that James Hunt did it as well, albeit in FF (maybe F3). I do remember it being said that James could not afford decent belts, and the fact they did not work allowed him to exit the car withouut drowning in the process.

Keith Holland F5000 1971

I have a larger version of this pic if anyone wants....

Last edited by E.B; 11 Feb 2011 at 17:51. Reason: To expand on pic details.
Old 12 Feb 2011, 16:14 (Ref:2830136)   #40
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
@Gerry .... Surely there must be some/many other strange / amusing / memories of things you surely have seen over the years in your times around the track, tales that can now be recounted without fear of being sued.

I would have thought, especially given the period / era of your involvement where the racing seemed as much about fun as anything else, and perhaps there was a bit more cameraderie and larking about back then that you might have many an interesting tale to add to this thread. Im sure they would be an interesting not to mention amusing read for all of us. Im sure a few would put a smile on your face to recount them as well.

That goes to anyone else too. I thought amongst us all there would be many a tale to be told.

Last edited by E.B; 12 Feb 2011 at 16:23.
Old 12 Feb 2011, 18:57 (Ref:2830201)   #41
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of the Truck meetings at Brands had some strange moments............
Old 12 Feb 2011, 20:27 (Ref:2830229)   #42
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
An Odd Day At SILVERSTONE!

Hi Chris, back in 1973 I was being scrutineered, and as was my luck I had a scrutineer that was ex-Gestapo ( well, maybe that is a bit over the top) any way, remember the car was appearing at circuits every week, week in, week out. If it wasn't Mallory, it was Oulton, if it wasn't there it was Snett, or Silverstone. Anyway, this chap said that I was breaking some regulation or other and to make some adjustments to the...wait for it....the small wire protection grid that stood in front of the oil cooler on the front of the car! I asked him what he meant? What was wrong? He looked at me as if I had done a cut-n'-shunt ( ask someone older, not a car dealer though, they make get angry) "That"! he pointed at the grill. What's wrong with it? i asked. "That constitutes an infringment of the rule appertaining to Special Saloon Cars, the section that covers "Silhouettes!" "What?" He repeated this, and then went on to tell me in no uncertain terms that unless I removed the offending piece of metal, then I would be banished from the grid, and reported to the Clerk Of The Course! By this time, we had quite a crowd of drivers, all listening to this, and inspecting this horrendous piece of..er..wire. This is where the words A Strange Race Day come in. The saloon drivers, as one, told this chap that "If you stop him racing because of that, then you, my friend, will not have a Special Saloon Race today!" I was gobsmacked. I protested that they should,nt spoil their days racing because of this officious scrutineer ( I think that's what I referred to him as, although I WAS a bit annoyed), he told me to push my car to one side, so they could get the scrutineering underway, but the lads said no, the car stays there, and you fetch the Clerk Of The Course here. This was now becoming a "Situation". I must add that almost ALL Special Saloon cars had front mounted coolers, and ALL had wire protection in front, and that this was accepted. Check any photograph of the old Special Saloons, and you'll see them. It was accepted that it did not alter the silhouette of the car. I had not added it, it wasn't new, and it did not alter the shape of the car ( well maybe by a tad). The scrutineer had a problem. The Clerk Of The Course arrived, a well know man, who shall remain nameless, but he had a way of doing DRIVERS BRIEFING and lots of great sayings, we called them Truemanisms (oops! Sorry Don...oops!) It took less than a few seconds, the Clerk Of The Course and the scrutineers ( all of them) had a huddle, and then the Clerk of the Course just gave me a thumbs up, a big grin to the lads, whom I thanked for standing by me, and the day was enjoyed by everyone, well, all except one.
I don't think this would happen today, but if ever it did, I would hope the same thing would happen. A really strange day Chris. Here's a picture which shows the offending piece of kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Just the Anglia.JPG  
Old 12 Feb 2011, 22:14 (Ref:2830275)   #43
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Hi Chris,
Hi Gerry and thanks very much for responding so quickly to my PM asking if you would share one of your odd / strange / amusing tales. I was not expecting such a swift response so a big thanks from me and I am sure others will join me in that
Cheers
Chris

OK with the thanks out of the way, indeed I guess all those that have entered cars in meetings of all levels have had some run ins with the scrutineer, or lined up in the queue not being looked after by the known Gestapo like scrutineer. Those that may have woken up on the wrong side of the bed and picked something like your wire as altering the look of the car when it has been there for many prior untroubled inspections.

But the one thing I believe is that this story of Gerry's is a great indication of the cameraderie that although it still exists in some (particularly historic / classic) categories of motor racing I believe that it used to be far greatertwo or three decades or more ago than it is nowadays. Its become all too serious and with so much corporate money and interests often involved, hell now drivers / teams protest each other over things as futile as that Gerry experienced with the scrutineer.

To have all your competitors uniting behind someone, as with what Gerry has told us, someone who was potentially likely to take their points / 'prize money' as a result of the 'stand' must be a very humbling experience, as it always is to be the recipient of such support from your peers. I guess at the end of the day it all comes down to respect that your fellow competitors had for you in the end, Gerry, and as you have shown with your posts in other threads, your respect for them. .

Anyway, a great story and thanks for sharing. Keep them coming .

I am sure there must be more tales out there, be they from something any of you witnessed or had happen as maybe a spectator, or something from officials marshalls etc (they are always good for having seen some strange things in their times.)

Basically tales and memories from any side of the fence be it as a spectator, a race official, marshall, wife / partner, driver, team engineer, general gofer, well you get the idea.

Last edited by E.B; 12 Feb 2011 at 22:19.
Old 14 Feb 2011, 05:20 (Ref:2830854)   #44
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
This is a bit off topic seeing as it is not really history.... but it does highlight the fact that Bathurst will always give you something strange. Today we had the Bathurst 12 hr GT race, and after only a few laps a Mosler had a blowout at some 270 ish kph. You know it was a biggie when you cant find your windscreen after....
(Driver Dean Grant walked away from the accident with a bit of a bruise but otherwise ok)

This was on the other side of the track and beyond the barriers.
Well, it is history since the moment it happened. More recent but history still.
Watched it as well. Scary moment until you know the driver is ok
Old 16 Feb 2011, 02:58 (Ref:2831934)   #45
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I guess all those that have entered cars in meetings of all levels have had some run ins with the scrutineer, or lined up in the queue not being looked after by the known Gestapo like scrutineer. Those that may have woken up on the wrong side of the bed and picked something like your wire as altering the look of the car when it has been there for many prior untroubled inspections.

I am sure there must be more tales out there, be they from something any of you witnessed or had happen as maybe a spectator, or something from officials marshalls etc (they are always good for having seen some strange things in their times.)

Basically tales and memories from any side of the fence be it as a spectator, a race official, marshall, wife / partner, driver, team engineer, general gofer, well you get the idea.
A friend of mine still tells the story of when he was in the scrutineering queue at Qld Raceway years ago and got written up for having a towing eye that was 15mm undersized, but the next car in the queue had no towing eyes, and it was passed OK.
Old 17 Feb 2011, 05:52 (Ref:2832496)   #46
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
A friend of mine still tells the story of when he was in the scrutineering queue at Qld Raceway years ago and got written up for having a towing eye that was 15mm undersized, but the next car in the queue had no towing eyes, and it was passed OK.
Hehehehe, there is nothing quite like scrutineers logic sometimes.... (I'm sure many a 'scrut' has said the same of drivers )

My nearest to that type of scrutineering glitch was at a hillclimb at Gurston Down near Salisbury in my 1700cc A CLass Clubmans Mallock. I had renewed my throttle linkage and was informed that I needed a second return spring fitted. I was as usual running late so fitted a spring as requested, tested it for operation (albeit without engine running) and it seemed fine. It wasn't pretty but the scruts. are always right. They approved and gave me the sticker I needed.

Left the startline, which at Gurston is a steady and very quick absolutely flat out descent down a straight and into what was also flat (ok flat with a confidence lift, in my case/car anyway) left hander (the Hollow) followed by a tight double right hander. I arrived at the Hollow, and my confidence lift did nothing for my confidence. By which time I was through the Hollow and into the braking zone. Hit the brakes, lifted off and went to change down.

EEEEEK. Throttle was stuck wide open. Scream of revs as I had dipped the clutch ever so slightly...... Quick decision told me the escape road, a gravel farm track which went straight on was the preferred option to the tight right with the undergrowth as run off. Managed to hit the kill switch as I arrived at warp speed, to see Marshalls, photographers etc scattering as the car bounced and bucked it's way to 'a controlled stop'.

Managed to stop without much damage to anything but my underwear, shaking like a leaf. Got out of the car with apologies to all who had scattered. The telltale on the Smiths Chronometric was at 10,000+, somewhat higher than the 8,250 redline. (No rev-limiter on my car in those days c 1980)

A quick look showed the second spring demanded by the scruts for my safety had caught in the linkage and caused the jam. Removed the second spring, and hit the starter expecting the worst. To my surprise it fired up instantly, sounding sweet as ever, and I drove back to the paddock. Completed the meeting on one return spring with a case of bugger the scruts.