Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 27 Mar 2012, 19:56 (Ref:3049623)   #2051
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Martin Brundle is better simply because he has the perspective of a driver, and still races semi-professionally. But strip that out Edwards and Brundle are both fairly strong, IMO. I've certainly identified no specific, recurring flaws in Edward's commentary.

I must admit I'm reluctant to criticise the men in the 'box too much. I still wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat after having dreamed they've just appointed some grisly Leggard type into the role!
Old 27 Mar 2012, 21:00 (Ref:3049653)   #2052
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Almost off topic, but Edwards did race. I think he did Formula Ford and may have got a bit further? I'm sure there must be some sort of internet encyclopaedia that could tell us...
Old 27 Mar 2012, 21:04 (Ref:3049656)   #2053
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not quite, he won a formula first championship and did some other series (see wikipedia)
Interestingly, like Brundle, he lives in Norfolk. Although he isn't a used car salesman.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 21:14 (Ref:3049667)   #2054
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I was aware he raced back in the mists of time but it wouldn't square up to Brundle's decade plus experience in F1 and his long, long career in top-line sportscars, a career that's still current.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 21:17 (Ref:3049669)   #2055
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Perhaps he sold new ones Adam; Perhaps he worked in a Norfolk market though, coz he does shout a bit, and get over excited. I like MBs calm replys to some of Bens comments
Still we could of had JA back....
Old 27 Mar 2012, 21:23 (Ref:3049671)   #2056
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I was aware he raced back in the mists of time but it wouldn't square up to Brundle's decade plus experience in F1 and his long, long career in top-line sportscars, a career that's still current.
No it doesn't, but to be clear I wasn't even hinting it did. I just thought it mildly interesting.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 21:28 (Ref:3049677)   #2057
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Ben got as far as Formula Vauxhall I think before he stood down.

He does seem excitable and there was almost an air of James Hunt 91 barca style when Alonso Didn't pit on the one occasion!! 'WHY hasn't Alonso pitted?! Why haven't they brought him in AARGH!'

However he sticks to the point the race is focusing on and doesn't waffle which is the perennial commentator's problem.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 21:44 (Ref:3049687)   #2058
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I do feel that Edwards is louder more often these days, perhaps years of being stuck in an ITV box with Tim Harvey does that. He'll probably tone it down.

Best of luck to him, top bloke.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 21:57 (Ref:3049694)   #2059
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
He does seem excitable and there was almost an air of James Hunt 91 barca style when Alonso Didn't pit on the one occasion!! 'WHY hasn't Alonso pitted?! Why haven't they brought him in AARGH!'.
Yeah we can do without the 'ARRGH!' It's a touch of the holiday rep trying to whip up the ambiance. It comes across like DC just stamped on his foot or something.

Still. I'm going to hang up a picture of Leggard over my TV. Just so I can remember to forgive the current crop of commentators for their little foibles.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 23:06 (Ref:3049747)   #2060
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Still. I'm going to hang up a picture of Leggard over my TV. Just so I can remember to forgive the current crop of commentators for their little foibles.
I'm still having therapy since the last time I saw him. You're a brave man.
Old 31 Mar 2012, 16:06 (Ref:3051312)   #2061
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
GT does a ggod jon presenting the F1 show iin my opinion. Seems that its just Ant thats under used now.
Old 31 Mar 2012, 16:40 (Ref:3051329)   #2062
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nobody does a good job on that show. Nobody.
Old 31 Mar 2012, 22:40 (Ref:3051464)   #2063
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The graphics man did a superb job with the 3d car highlighting the Mercedes drag reduction system, even if we don't know exactly where these air tunnels are in the car.
Old 31 Mar 2012, 23:42 (Ref:3051489)   #2064
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
I wasn't dissatisfied with the coverage as coverage goes but things do get more complex because many are shelling out serious cash for the privilege. I thought it was competent if uninspired. Maybe that inspiration will come when they settle.

The commentary box was good. If I was to nitpick I'd say that while Brundle is a knowledgeable, very observant commentator he can seem a bit glum like he's performing surgery rather than getting a kick out of the racing like Walker did. Walker wasn't a scientist of the sport more of a fan and I miss that kind of passion and bounce. In otherwords I'd sacrifice exactitude for charisma and passion in my commentary.

Croft seemed far more uptight. His occasionally easy going nature on the radio hasn't made the transition to TV - yet. This makes him seem quite vanilla atm.

At the next level Lazenby and Hill. Again competent but no chemistry, no sparkle. I think the reason for this is that Lazenby just isn't confident in the territory. He's a rugby man and is disorientated in life in the fastlane. Lazenby needs a crash course in F1 and Hill needs a co-pundit, Davidson being my suggestion.

Thompson like Lazenby just plain isn't briefed in motorracing and therefore we see her pulling funny faces half the time! The Skypad is hard to justify, its frankly wasteful gimmickery which only makes her seem ridiculous. Like Lazenby I'm willing to put it down more to bad planning than to her, I think she can do the job when well-prepped. Davidson makes the best of it but without chemistry and a clear purpose he's in a kind of a limbo.

Ted is his usual, friendly and diligent self. I made some harsh remarks against Natalie P in an earlier post. But I must admit her easy rapport with Haug in Malaysia was one of the things that stood about the coverage.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 07:12 (Ref:3051567)   #2065
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
The only thing wrong with skypad is the name. If it didn't have a name no one would worry about it. It is just a way to show replays and highlight interesting aspects they want to draw our attention too. Every sports programme does it. It has a small advantage of having a user interface to allow flexibility in the commentary. It is like sitting in the editing suite that Brundle did on the red button last year.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 10:17 (Ref:3051647)   #2066
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Only seen it once, but it was ok for me.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 15:15 (Ref:3051768)   #2067
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Interesting fact: the Skypad is actually an iPad. Sky have used the team midgets, Ant and Georgie, to make it look bigger and more impressive.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 16:03 (Ref:3051788)   #2068
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
A 138 page topic for the same old names repeating their view, in different words each time, about why they hate Sky coverage.
I'm no fan of Murdoch but Sky fees do provide jobs for a lot of normal people, and although it's not perfect, I am enjoying all the F1 coverage on Sky.
Personal views about personnel are just that, personal views. Does the world really care?
Old 1 Apr 2012, 16:06 (Ref:3051790)   #2069
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
To be fair Ted does. And in no way is Ted a natural presenter.

Everyone loves the Kravster!!
Old 1 Apr 2012, 16:29 (Ref:3051804)   #2070
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
A 138 page topic for the same old names repeating their view, in different words each time, about why they hate Sky coverage.
I'm no fan of Murdoch but Sky fees do provide jobs for a lot of normal people, and although it's not perfect, I am enjoying all the F1 coverage on Sky.
Personal views about personnel are just that, personal views. Does the world really care?
To be fair, this is a forum, which is for conversation, including what you may consider idle conversation. The point now centres around the fact that many of us have paid our money, so we're waiting for something above and beyond what we had before (which may or may not come).

It's neither here nor there whether the world cares; it's about whether the hardcore fans, the likes of which would post on a forum care.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 16:38 (Ref:3051811)   #2071
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
I don't care if Sky fees provide people with jobs, they already were before they got F1 for goodness sake. I'm sure they were coping just fine, what with having a monopoly on every sport going.

Or have millions of people suddenly taken subs out because Sky got F1?

And you'll probably find most peoples beef is with the BBC.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 16:56 (Ref:3051823)   #2072
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
And you'll probably find most peoples beef is with the BBC.
Only the informed.

Generic 'man down the pub' still regards Sky as having 'stole' it (possibly because of Jake Humphrey's comments on 'The One Show'?). They always look so disappointed when i break it to them that the beeb initiated it.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 17:00 (Ref:3051828)   #2073
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good points about the BBC, but with me I don't care about beef with either of the channels. I want more for my money than what we got with the BBC for free.

It's telling at this stage that I'm still looking forward to watching the BBC's first live race on the BBC.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 17:33 (Ref:3051845)   #2074
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Good points about the BBC, but with me I don't care about beef with either of the channels. I want more for my money than what we got with the BBC for free.

It's telling at this stage that I'm still looking forward to watching the BBC's first live race on the BBC.
I agree , after watching the first two races on Sky I thought the coverage was good but no better than what we got last year on the Beeb . Has anyone else noticed that drivers/team principals do not seem too comfortable with the extra access Sky has ?. Martin Brundle sticking his microphone in the cockpit of Charles Pic's car also Martin speaking to Di Resta while taking the new car round Silverstone , I could almost hear Paul saying " shut up i am trying to concentrate " ! In my opinion Sky could get better after all we are only two races in but it should be alot better as we are now paying extra for it !!!
Old 1 Apr 2012, 17:37 (Ref:3051847)   #2075
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy666 View Post
I agree , after watching the first two races on Sky I thought the coverage was good but no better than what we got last year on the Beeb . Has anyone else noticed that drivers/team principals do not seem too comfortable with the extra access Sky has ?. Martin Brundle sticking his microphone in the cockpit of Charles Pic's car also Martin speaking to Di Resta while taking the new car round Silverstone , I could almost hear Paul saying " shut up i am trying to concentrate " ! In my opinion Sky could get better after all we are only two races in but it should be alot better as we are now paying extra for it !!!
P.S. I am also looking forward to watching China on the BBC !!!

Tags
outrage, sky