Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 3 Sep 2003, 07:31 (Ref:706471)   #1
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Vauxhall Vextra

No it isn't a spelling mistake. Has anyone had any experience of driving long distance in one of the new Vectra's? If so what are your opinions? I jumped from a Mondeo (all buttons clearly marked) into a Vectra for a trip down to London.
1: The cruise control is virtually unmarked and buried behind the steering wheel.
2: The buttons on the steering wheel have symbols giving no clue to their function.
3: The column stalks are the most frustrating EVER invented.
4: The stereo decides what it wants to listen to (usually something from the BBC).

I admit that with a little reading of the manual, some of these problems could be overcome, except that the manual wasn't in the car, nor I suspect will it be in the glovebox of any of these things that are used as hire cars.

I.M.H.O. this design of control layout is illogical and dangerous. Any comments?
Old 3 Sep 2003, 07:55 (Ref:706506)   #2
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
overall i like the car ....

Ciao Marco
Old 3 Sep 2003, 08:57 (Ref:706544)   #3
Tedebear
Rookie

Tedebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neil I haven't sat in the new one at all, mostly had Ford hire cars - but I was wondering if they had improved the seating position in the Vectra - I could never get comfortable driving the old one - very hard seat, too high even when on the lowest setting?? I do remember the stereo scanning for different radio stations when the signal got too weak though - could never work out how to turn it off!!
Old 3 Sep 2003, 09:36 (Ref:706590)   #4
davemorganfan
Racer

davemorganfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These are minor problems compared to the day I was stuffed up with a Fiat Multipla as a hire car. First of all, where's the handbrake? Oh yes, there it is, hiding between the driver's seat and the door. How do I see out of the back window thanks to all those headrests? Simple, fold the back seat down - you can't shift the headrests. And how do I adjust the electric door mirrors - where's the switch? Answer - I don't, until 2 hours later when I find a tiny button on the roof. All makes perfect sense, doesn't it?
Old 3 Sep 2003, 21:33 (Ref:707513)   #5
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've never driven a Vectra, but when I first got my Astra the stereo was constantly tuning to whatever it wanted on a completely random basis. The book didn't seem much help and I eventually stopped it by randomly poking some of the buttons. Don't ask me what I actually did to stop it tuning itself, I haven't a clue
Old 3 Sep 2003, 21:36 (Ref:707516)   #6
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tedebear, as you mention the seat being too high, I wonder if there's a bit of a height thing in Fords / Vauxhalls. I've always found Fords very uncomfortable in comparison to Vauxhalls. I'm 5'3", my boss is well over 6' and finds that Fords are more comfortable than Vauxhalls.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 22:16 (Ref:707546)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's certainly true Carrie. The hardness of the ride in the Ford is always something my dad comments on, as he drive's a Peugeot which is quite soft in comparison.

I've only sat in the new Vectra briefly but it seemed quite comfortable to me. I was confused with the indicators - another thing that has a mind of its own!

PS - the Vectra will lock itself after about 30 seconds if the keys aren't in the ignition - so don't leave them sitting in the car!
Old 4 Sep 2003, 19:47 (Ref:708374)   #8
daz90
Racer

England
England
daz90 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my astra radio was the same, so i got rid of it and put a different radio/cd player in there, i had a mondeo, and the radio in that used to change when the signal was poor, but i could stop that 1, the 1 in the astra just got on my nerves so i got rid. now though i hardly use the radio, just the tape or cd's
Old 7 Sep 2003, 22:44 (Ref:711258)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
PS - the Vectra will lock itself after about 30 seconds if the keys aren't in the ignition - so don't leave them sitting in the car!
my golf does that, it's the most annoying thing in the world! wish there was a way of switching it off, because leaving the keys in the ignition while you sort out the stuff in the boot isn't always the smartest thing to do...
Old 7 Sep 2003, 23:03 (Ref:711268)   #10
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't speak for the new Vetra, but I own the older model and I love it. I have the SRi with the sports suspension. It corners like it's on rails. Luvverrly.. It's only a 1.8, but it goes like stink if you change on the right RPM and it lives for motorways.

I've owned Vauxhalls previously and love the control layout. I used to have a Pug 205 and hated the headlight controls being on the stalk. The separate control on Vauxhalls I really like.

I've never got used to the idea of cruise control and luckily mine doesn't have it.

As for the radio thing, just turn off the '{TP]' thing, but even I can't remember how to do it.

Last edited by Spudgun; 7 Sep 2003 at 23:04.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 11:36 (Ref:712980)   #11
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bella, fellow golfer. that auto 30s lock up feature on your car, you can actually have it disabled at your local stealership for free (or small charge) or anyone with the VAG.COM diagnostic tool.