Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 26 Mar 2012, 00:33 (Ref:3048439)   #2026
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Spray on nomex?
I like that idea, for the girls...
Old 26 Mar 2012, 07:14 (Ref:3048486)   #2027
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
What is this 'skypad' everyone is going on about?

All i seem to see is a luv-er-ly shaped ladies behind. Mesmerising tele.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 08:57 (Ref:3048537)   #2028
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally prefer Jake to Simon. Jake's clearly quite popular in the paddock and seemingly teases information out of teams/drivers...he's got a good air of calmness too. The relaxed style he has with his interviews to team owners is impressive.

Damon is ok, definitely doesn't come across as egotistical (just like he doesn't if you speak to him one to one), but is a little...boring?

Georgie is embarrassing, but personally I thought as much when doing the A1 coverage. Way WAY too much make-up, and if you've got Simon anchoring, she's not needed at all. Ditch one of them...

Ant's role is just a poor interpretation of the Andy Gray-esque studio analysis role that worked with football, primarily because Andy was so good at it. Hasn't worked with Rugby, comes across as overkill and dull with F1, but it works with Cricket. Ant's not got the gravitas to make this work - Martin Brundle's analysis of incidents/qualifying runs etc is more than enough anyway. Having said that Ant may have something to add, but maybe he should be focused on GP2 or something - give him an area to properly focus on.

Crofty is a good lead commentator, and works well with Brundle - they're clearly both very relaxed and the chemistry is better than MB and DC which was a bit too dull. Ben Edwards' over-enthusiasm seems to have woken DC up too - he seems a lot more lively now!

Both doing ok, but it all feels very fragmented, with a total of 3 anchors over the 2 channels covering 1 race. But, it will get better. Be interesting to hear viewing figures.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 09:25 (Ref:3048548)   #2029
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
The trouble is, the Sky Pad is back in the TV compound, not in the paddock, so it's time consuming to get between the 2 locations.
Am I missing something about this amazing "Skypad"? In the paddock the BBC has an adjustable TV suspended on a fishing rod. The pundit tells his tale, we hear the pundit and see the pictures. That'll do.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 10:50 (Ref:3048613)   #2030
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Am I missing something about this amazing "Skypad"? In the paddock the BBC has an adjustable TV suspended on a fishing rod. The pundit tells his tale, we hear the pundit and see the pictures. That'll do.
i don't get it either, it just makes them look like weather girls (sorry, ant) and all the arm waving is distracting! gary anderson's luddite skypad on saturday was a thing of genius. print out of a photo of a mercedes, put it on a clipboard, get a big red marker pen.

same job, smaller budget. awesome.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 10:57 (Ref:3048618)   #2031
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just to raise the debate an intelectual notch or two, I want to know why we never see Ant and Georgie's feet.

Is that because Georgie is 5 foot tall and Ant is standing on a box?
Old 26 Mar 2012, 10:58 (Ref:3048622)   #2032
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wasn't going to pay for Sky F1 but ended up getting a very good deal indeed out of Virgin which meant I did, and I'm glad that I did. The red button stuff is great, if a little overwhelming. The four-way mix (main coverage, an onboard, pit lane and timing screen) would be brilliant on a big screen.

I also like the fact that both bit-part players @DamonHillsVest and @GeorgiesF1Skirt both have their own Twitter accounts...
Old 26 Mar 2012, 13:11 (Ref:3048763)   #2033
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Indeed (as DC says), but he needs to articulate himself a bit better. He's quite hard to understand and BBC don't adjust the sound levels enough to compensate.
He's a mumbler. An incurable one probably. He has a great knowledge, zero ego and a great racing heart so he should be forgiven on all accounts, IMO.

I enjoy the way the BBC don't stand on formality. A BBC pundit, isn't just a pundit and that's it, that's your job. But is given a microphone on occasion and told to get stuck in and grab an interview with a driver/boss! I like that. It can lead to a little bit of chaos but is an approach that carries with it alot of style.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 13:16 (Ref:3048765)   #2034
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He's a good catch, yep. And I liked his pen and paper sketch of Mercedes's new trickery. That's all you need. The name Sky Pad sounds as child-like as the Batmobile.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 13:30 (Ref:3048780)   #2035
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
He's a good catch, yep. And I liked his pen and paper sketch of Mercedes's new trickery. That's all you need. The name Sky Pad sounds as child-like as the Batmobile.
I've only just realised what a play on 'iPad' it is - yuk, yuk, yuk.

Selby
Old 26 Mar 2012, 13:53 (Ref:3048796)   #2036
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I've only just realised what a play on 'iPad' it is - yuk, yuk, yuk.
Thank you for catching up
Old 26 Mar 2012, 13:54 (Ref:3048798)   #2037
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Think that's bad?

That idiot Flo Rida. I only realised the other day that it's a play on Florida... *slaps head*

Selby
Old 26 Mar 2012, 14:31 (Ref:3048820)   #2038
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In fairness to Dan (my alias), it might've been something to do with the location, like a helipad where Sky can land their Skycopter, the helicopter they take out whenever they decide to follow an under-fire celebrity such as John Terry like vultures, or worse, someone's corpse as it is taken to its funeral.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 15:26 (Ref:3048854)   #2039
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
In fairness to Dan (my alias), it might've been something to do with the location, like a helipad where Sky can land their Skycopter, the helicopter they take out whenever they decide to follow an under-fire celebrity such as John Terry like vultures, or worse, someone's corpse as it is taken to its funeral.
Are you barking mad? Sky are so infatuated with their gizmos - every two minutes they where peddling some weird i do-lally where you could watch their coverage from - that if 'Skypad' doesn't come from their lurid fetish for all things appletwitteripaddery then my name is Steve Jobs!
Old 26 Mar 2012, 15:27 (Ref:3048855)   #2040
Ingsy
Racer

Ingsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched the first race live round a mates house on Sky, but only the race - no build up and no afterwards so didn't have much to say.

Saw yesterdays in the BBC highlights programme and was actually pleasantly surprised. I think we got pretty much all the race, bar the red flag period, which suited me fine. Pointless sitting there for 50 mins waiting for it to restart. They seemed to have interviews at the end with all the major players as well. The only thing I thought they were missing was the behind the scenes stuff before the podium, and then the podium/anthems itself.

I’m not sure how they are going to manage when they get to Europe, as the show is going to be half an hour shorter. Still, it’s better than I feared it would be when this news came out last year.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 15:50 (Ref:3048873)   #2041
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Are you barking mad? Sky are so infatuated with their gizmos - every two minutes they where peddling some weird i do-lally where you could watch their coverage from - that if 'Skypad' doesn't come from their lurid fetish for all things appletwitteripaddery then my name is Steve Jobs!
"Woof". Actually, I just found a convenient slot to criticise the modern portrayl of news. As you were, everyone.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 17:39 (Ref:3048928)   #2042
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks like there's a good program for Sky fans on BBC1 tonight at 2030.

Panorama : Murdoch's TV Pirates

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01dlvbm

No wonder James has fled to New York.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 17:43 (Ref:3048933)   #2043
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
"Woof".
Actually it sounds like you set fire to a dog.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 18:06 (Ref:3048938)   #2044
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
Looks like there's a good program for Sky fans on BBC1 tonight at 2030.

Panorama : Murdoch's TV Pirates

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01dlvbm

No wonder James has fled to New York.
I don't see this phone hacking scandal going away anytime soon and I'm sure we're going to see a few heads roll.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 18:26 (Ref:3048948)   #2045
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I don't see this phone hacking scandal going away anytime soon and I'm sure we're going to see a few heads roll.
The Police said it would probably take a few years to work through the evidence
Old 26 Mar 2012, 19:20 (Ref:3048973)   #2046
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Anyway, I watched the Beeb replay tonite and shouty bloke was a bit less tedious. Even DC was better than last week. Still don't rate Edwards as higher than or even equivalent to, Brundle.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 19:48 (Ref:3048986)   #2047
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Anyway, I watched the Beeb replay tonite and shouty bloke was a bit less tedious. Even DC was better than last week. Still don't rate Edwards as higher than or even equivalent to, Brundle.
If you ask me rating Brundle's as high as or higher then Ben is pretty good acclaim and shows what a first rate broadcaster MB has become these last few years.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 19:56 (Ref:3048993)   #2048
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I should hope so too, on a million a year! Jeezus
Old 26 Mar 2012, 19:56 (Ref:3048994)   #2049
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Maybe but Edwards is pretty dire Imo. Martin Haven is superior.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 16:50 (Ref:3049514)   #2050
Massa_number1
Racer

Massa_number1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
as i posted a few pages back the SKY coverage is O.K although the Gizmos are way over used and fancy graphics to explain simple things but the fact its a dedicate channel that covers every aspect of the sport including the history and behind the scenes more than BBC or ITV ever did makes me like it a bit more

but again if i had the choice give me the 2011 BBC team and coverage any day over this new SKY team
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky