Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Mar 2016, 04:35 (Ref:3622047)   #326
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Always put my hand up when I'm wrong. I thought that you'd know the dog on the tuckerbox question ?
its 5 miles from Gundagai?

however lets discuss Gen 2 rather than me again (we have a thread for that)

PRA saying they will take a falcon through 2017 and maybe even 2018, however they have an "undisclosed manufacturer" in discussion re 2018 or later
Old 11 Mar 2016, 06:33 (Ref:3622058)   #327
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
I wonder if a Supercar motor can run for 12 or 24 hours race pace reliably, with sometimes less than professional drivers abusing it???
Why not ask Mal Rose:
http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/top...ening-practice

12th outright and class win in Invitational after 248 laps in 2013 in a GRM-built V8Supercar.

Also crunched out just under 500 laps in each of the 2 Dubai 24hr appearances it has had, had also some appearances at 24hr Spa, Nurburgring races.

I suspect the current engines would even be less stressed than the earlier ones - we got a lot of the current minimum weights and so on to try to stop the engine arms race that was going on a while back.

Quote:
To be fair i just checked with Scud and he did say $500k, but I must have been in another world and missed the all important "Euro's" bit , so about $750k AUD. And in fairness of good reporting there is this info below from the very knowledgeable Sportscar 365 who suggest around $800k AUD.
And people scoff when I say that going GT3 wouldn't be sustainable long term as a direction for V8Supercars. There are people with some deeeeeep pockets keeping these series going.

Funny that a bunch of people accused me of exaggerating when I used these sorts of figures. if that is how expensive it is to buy, how expensive is a decent crash going to be?

I hate to think.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 06:44 (Ref:3622061)   #328
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Why not ask Mal Rose:
http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/top...ening-practice

12th outright and class win in Invitational after 248 laps in 2013 in a GRM-built V8Supercar.

Also crunched out just under 500 laps in each of the 2 Dubai 24hr appearances it has had, had also some appearances at 24hr Spa, Nurburgring races.

I suspect the current engines would even be less stressed than the earlier ones - we got a lot of the current minimum weights and so on to try to stop the engine arms race that was going on a while back.

And people scoff when I say that going GT3 wouldn't be sustainable long term as a direction for V8Supercars. There are people with some deeeeeep pockets keeping these series going.

Funny that a bunch of people accused me of exaggerating when I used these sorts of figures. if that is how expensive it is to buy, how expensive is a decent crash going to be?

I hate to think.
No doubt that the 488 is incredibly expensive, especially when you consider that you can buy 2 Lambo's for the same price.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 06:52 (Ref:3622063)   #329
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
No doubt that the 488 is incredibly expensive, especially when you consider that you can buy 2 Lambo's for the same price.
No you cant, a huracan is 370K Euro. compared to that 500K Euro number

porsche mclaren, audi and BMW M6 are all around 400K Euro as well

Now moving on, imagine if there was Gt3 forum where all this information was discussed often, oh wait....

PRA running falcons for another year, great news for the ford fans

Last edited by peckstar; 11 Mar 2016 at 07:03.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 07:10 (Ref:3622065)   #330
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
No you cant, a huracan is 370K Euro. compared to that 500K Euro number

porsche mclaren, audi and BMW M6 are all around 400K Euro as well

Now moving on, imagine if there was Gt3 forum where all this information was discussed often, oh wait....

PRA running falcons for another year, great news for the ford fans
Rex's are about $475k AUD. You make the GT3 forum comment after making another GT3 comment yourself and I think you'll find that our resident moderator started the GT3 comments.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 07:17 (Ref:3622066)   #331
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Rex's are about $475k AUD. You make the GT3 forum comment after making another GT3 comment yourself and I think you'll find that our resident moderator started the GT3 comments.
Moving on, All the info on superceded models are on the gt3 forum

This is Gen 2 supercar discusion, there will be no Gt3 cars in Gen 2

Prodrive hey, keeping the falcon into 2017, good for Ford fans, yes or no?
Will mean another year of Ford vs holden
Old 11 Mar 2016, 07:27 (Ref:3622069)   #332
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good for Prodrive but you wonder how they will go over time, surely they are not going to build any new cars.

I'm hoping Holden will see fit to race the Insignia, eventually with a twin-turbo V6 representing the likely HSV model.

But the serious question is, only as an importer can you really stomach the cost?

I guess Nissan and Volvo tell us you can - and by all reports the return on investment on an overall level is pretty good. I see both of these guys doing very good corporate work with dealerships and in B2B land.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 07:38 (Ref:3622073)   #333
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Good for Prodrive but you wonder how they will go over time, surely they are not going to build any new cars.

I'm hoping Holden will see fit to race the Insignia, eventually with a twin-turbo V6 representing the likely HSV model.

But the serious question is, only as an importer can you really stomach the cost?

I guess Nissan and Volvo tell us you can - and by all reports the return on investment on an overall level is pretty good. I see both of these guys doing very good corporate work with dealerships and in B2B land.
I imagine the building of new cars will depend on their 2018 plans. if they stay with the falcon or not
Old 11 Mar 2016, 20:45 (Ref:3622242)   #334
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry where did i say I belived that?

And why would any intelligent person compare a restricted v8 motor to an unrestricted v6 turbo motor, Thats just a stupid thought pattern.

Repeating for the 3rd time this was response to "Why not turbo V8s? Why not V10? Why not rotary? Why not supercharged V12? Why not run what ya brung?"
I'm still struggling to understand why you're against engines with more cylinders, or forced induction on V8's, when you know that the current engines, along with the proposed V6 turbos will be restricted anyway?
Old 13 Mar 2016, 00:54 (Ref:3622410)   #335
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Haven't both declined to confirm their participation moving forward into Gen 2. The ROI can't be that good as you are saying based their current hesitation
Old 13 Mar 2016, 01:06 (Ref:3622412)   #336
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Haven't both declined to confirm their participation moving forward into Gen 2. The ROI can't be that good as you are saying based their current hesitation
Can't confirm something that is not confirmed yet. I can't tell even what my marketing budget for 2017 is yet...
Old 13 Mar 2016, 02:33 (Ref:3622417)   #337
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Can't confirm something that is not confirmed yet. I can't tell even what my marketing budget for 2017 is yet...
You would have indicative funding or a strong indication of this. It's quite obvious even with finances pending both companies aren't beating down the door
Old 13 Mar 2016, 02:34 (Ref:3622419)   #338
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
You would have indicative funding or a strong indication of this. It's quite obvious even with finances pending both companies aren't beating down the door
When there is something to be confirmed it will be confirmed.
Old 13 Mar 2016, 04:42 (Ref:3622438)   #339
fredd1
Racer

fredd1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That sounds like confirmation then.....
Old 13 Mar 2016, 05:55 (Ref:3622447)   #340
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
You would have indicative funding or a strong indication of this.
Internally they may have a position.

Quote:
It's quite obvious even with finances pending both companies aren't beating down the door
Its quite obvious this is a guess.
Old 13 Mar 2016, 06:35 (Ref:3622450)   #341
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Internally they may have a position.

Its quite obvious this is a guess.
Haven't they both made public comments about their uncertainty about the Gen 2 regs?
Old 18 Jun 2016, 03:57 (Ref:3651172)   #342
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim Edwards confirmed this morning the cost of the current cars. Half a million dollars in parts alone with zero spares and no labour costs in that. Safe to say $600,000+
Old 22 Sep 2016, 21:10 (Ref:3674357)   #343
gravin
Rookie

gravin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very quiet on gen 2.

Could this be part of the reason for Volvo losing faith - no proven formula / or proof of concept (Running Holden example) to move forward with - would have expected them to want to move from the V8 as it wasn't going to be part of their drivetrain line up.
Old 22 Sep 2016, 21:35 (Ref:3674362)   #344
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravin View Post
Very quiet on gen 2.

Could this be part of the reason for Volvo losing faith - no proven formula / or proof of concept (Running Holden example) to move forward with - would have expected them to want to move from the V8 as it wasn't going to be part of their drivetrain line up.
Really in the week after Nissan signed and sited Gen 2 in their announcement.

Think you're trolling
Old 23 Sep 2016, 00:05 (Ref:3674393)   #345
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gen 2 was meant to come on line next year.

Then it was pushed back to 2018.

Then Nissan said after renewing their commitment to the Kellys, that they're running the Altima, with the V8 in it in 2018.

The reality is, Gen 2 is just opening up engine and body style freedom. It'll all still be built off the CotF platform.
Old 23 Sep 2016, 05:39 (Ref:3674469)   #346
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keen to see the holden v6 vs the Nismo v8 (maybe Ford v8?), initially at least. You'd think any existing v8 will hold an advantage for awhile
Old 23 Sep 2016, 06:13 (Ref:3674474)   #347
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Keen to see the holden v6 vs the Nismo v8 (maybe Ford v8?), initially at least. You'd think any existing v8 will hold an advantage for awhile

I know Holden have said that T8 will supply all Holden chassis, and there will be a central engine distributor (I'm guessing KRE?), but will some of the privateer teams be allowed to continue to run the VF with the existing V8?
You would think that if the older, more developed platform out performed the new weapons, that may redden some faces in corporate.
Old 23 Sep 2016, 06:18 (Ref:3674475)   #348
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's the same platform they're using now.

Nothing changes besides the bodywork and engines.

Triple Eight only have the rights to develop and on-sell the incoming VF replacement's panels.
Old 23 Sep 2016, 06:46 (Ref:3674479)   #349
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
In that case, we might see LDM, Erebus and xHRT ahead of the factory team for a spell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 Sep 2016, 21:20 (Ref:3674627)   #350
gravin
Rookie

gravin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Really in the week after Nissan signed and sited Gen 2 in their announcement.

Think you're trolling
I don't troll - but wondered what others have heard in regard to gen 2.

AFAIK only Holden has expressed what they are planning from 2018.