Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 2 Jun 2003, 08:16 (Ref:617471)   #1
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Astra Turbo.

Reading about the newly-introduced Astra Turbo.

245km/h, 147kw, 250nm, 100km/h- 7.3

Yes please.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 2 Jun 2003, 13:52 (Ref:617788)   #2
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
7.3 to 100km/h (er, that's 62.5mph in English, btw) ?!

Positively pedestrian!

Still, as far as GM pieces of junk go, it's not bad. 'cept there's a brand new Astra out next year. Worth waiting I'd say.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 16:04 (Ref:617927)   #3
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But it still looks like an Astra 'though. I'd go for something less 'normal' looking personaly.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 12:27 (Ref:620431)   #4
Mattracer
Veteran

Surely you'[re being a bit harsh...

Remember that this is a mass-market car and it does handle with great proficiency. I can't afford Porsche-like performance, nor can I afford to run of insure such, so this is my best option, if I wanted such a conveyance.

I ypu don't /want a V8, then this could be could buying in a smaller package.

Old 4 Jun 2003, 13:46 (Ref:620584)   #5
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's massive choice in the hot hatch market (depending where you are). The Astra's had some decent write-ups, but so has the Focus ST170. There's a 180bhp Pug 206 out now, and the Clio 172/Cup/whatever is still one of the best. My favourite is the Seat Leon 2.0VT - not necessarily the best, but a fantastic package for under £15k.

If you want something slightly bigger, there are some absolutely superb affordable cars around. If your budget's around £12-14k, look at a (nearly) new Skoda Octavia RS. If your budget's more like £5k, the very best practical budget performance car out there is a 1998/9 Nissan Primera GT. Trust me - they're fantastic, I had one and enjoyed it very nearly as much as my Impreza WRX. Bargain of the century.
Old 10 Jun 2003, 12:59 (Ref:627058)   #6
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In Oz, I would be waiting for the Peugeot 206 GTi 180 in that price range. Use the extra $3k for insurance.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 12:11 (Ref:628153)   #7
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or a Corolla Sportivo with Celica running gear for even less.

I'd have prefered the Astra in some ways, but I'm trying to save money so went with the Sportivo Corolla
Old 11 Jun 2003, 12:28 (Ref:628181)   #8
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd still take the Pug.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 01:12 (Ref:715785)   #9
Mattracer
Veteran

Astra Turbo has rated very well in "Motor" 'Bang for your Buck' annual awards, I think taking out a category of the awards AFAIK.

Has anyone got one and would like to describe their experiences so far in the real world?

Old 12 Sep 2003, 07:09 (Ref:715928)   #10
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the Bang for Your Buck awards it came first outright!

Can not be all bad it left behind a great number of Porches in targa tasmania.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 07:55 (Ref:715969)   #11
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The engine is the same as in the new Saab 9-3 but without the clever Trionic management. Word from tuning shops in Sweden is that the internals can't take more than 250bhp before things start bending.

A year old turbo Astra at 50% of list price and a little boost tweakage might be a good motorway plodder.