Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 13 Aug 2004, 21:14 (Ref:1065404)   #1
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The future of WSBK/2005 silly season

Interesting set of articles by (ex-Eurosport commentator) Dennis Noyes on the Speed TV website:
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/moto...perbike/12419/
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/moto...perbike/12459/

Some questions raised in particular;

(i) Which teams/manufacturers will be racing in World Superbikes next season? (either with works or semi-works machinery)

(ii) Which riders will be on the works Ducatis next year? Noyes suggests that they current MotoGP riders; perhaps Neil Hodgson and/or Shane Byrne may enter the equation. If Ducati Fila change one or both of their riders what happens to Regis Laconi and James Toseland?

Thoughts?

Last edited by x_dt; 13 Aug 2004 at 21:15.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 22:21 (Ref:1065429)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IMO the thing that has helped WSBK most this season has been the incredibly close racing. That has brought it back to the attention of the world media.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 22:38 (Ref:1065435)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not sure if this is where Manoz was going, but I wonder if the return of works teams, or an improvement on the Fila bikes (if they even continue; nothing is signed yet), would damage the competitiveness and parity of the series. If Honda offered works backing to Ten Kate, and put a good factory rider like Tamada or Kiyonari on a second bike, it could be a dominant season for the Fireblade.
Old 16 Aug 2004, 10:54 (Ref:1067973)   #4
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the BSB is anything to go by, maybe Ducatis aren't THE bikes to have any more. I don't really know about the different regulations in BSB/WSBK, but I bet the Suzuki or Honda from BSB would really be capable of challenging (and beating) the Fila Ducatis, which is where we have missed out this year with no big wildcard entries!

Those links won't load for me so sorry if I repeat what's on those pages, but wasn't KTM supposed to be competing in WSBK 2005? And I've heard Kawasaki are competing with PSG-1, although I don't know how much of a works deal this is!
Old 16 Aug 2004, 15:44 (Ref:1068273)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The only strong BSB Ducati team (MonsterMob) won the title easily last year with Shaky Byrne, but have got a comparatively second-rate rider (or at least, one who hasn't settled on the bike) this year. Also remember that Honda and Suzuki have much more works backing in the BSB than Ducati.

On the other hand, it's feasible that Pirelli tyres especially suit the Ducatis (I'm unhappy with the way Flammini has blatantly favoured the Italian concerns this year)

PSG-Kawasaki is a strong rumour, and would be good for all concerned, especially if Richards or Smart from the BSB team moved up - McCoy would be an option as well.
Old 16 Aug 2004, 17:18 (Ref:1068363)   #6
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news about Vermuelen getting an HRC GP test at the end of the year, should be in MotoGP by 2006.

From www.crash.net
Old 16 Aug 2004, 17:50 (Ref:1068393)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Would that be good news though? MotoGP already has a lot of stars, and Superbikes need them. It also suggests a lack of interest in a factory return from Honda. Honda should be looking to get Seté or Max on one of the works bikes, as they're proven on MotoGP Hondas.
Old 16 Aug 2004, 19:31 (Ref:1068492)   #8
Stu_199
Rookie

Stu_199 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what i know the PSG-1 team are looking at getting 2 completely standard ZX-10R's and tuning them themselves. This would mean that there is no factory backing and that they have to do the development work themselves.

Hope That Helps
Old 16 Aug 2004, 20:55 (Ref:1068596)   #9
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Would that be good news though? MotoGP already has a lot of stars, and Superbikes need them. It also suggests a lack of interest in a factory return from Honda. Honda should be looking to get Seté or Max on one of the works bikes, as they're proven on MotoGP Hondas.
Yep, sorry, I meant good news for Vermuelen personally.

But yes, it's possibly another world-class rider gone...
Old 17 Aug 2004, 14:40 (Ref:1069364)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Thanks for the (presumably) inside information Stu, and welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure it'd be good for Chris either. WSBK could recover strongly in the next couple of years, and -considering Yamaha's advance, Repsol's comparative struggle this year, and the fact that Barros is on his last legs and Hayden unlikely to be much of a team-mate to learn from - the Repsol ride could be a poisoned chalice for a young rider.
Old 19 Aug 2004, 02:18 (Ref:1071064)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the latest issue of Australian Motorcycle News:

- Kevin Curtain has signed on with Yamaha Germany again for next year, with an eye to contesting World Superbikes next year if possible. Christian Kellner is being dropped. Yamaha Italia may join them with Foret and maybe Haga. (whether that means Van De Goorberg stays in 600s with the team ?)

- Karl Muggeridge likely to ride a second Ten Kate CBR1000RR. Renegade interested in Honda's as well. Chili talking to a Honda team as he doesn't have much interest in racing the Kawasaki.

- Alstare Corona wanting to move back up to SBK, but not neccesarily with Suzuki (depends how interested they are). It mentioned possibly MV Agusta with Troy Corser!

The article seemed to indicate alot of interest in running Japanese Fours next year. How many of these come off who knows, but definatly more positive talk than in the last few silly seasons.

Last edited by racer69; 19 Aug 2004 at 02:19.
Old 19 Aug 2004, 07:25 (Ref:1071188)   #12
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
hopefully honda drags its rival japanese manufacturers back to wsb
would corser want to go through a developement stage again on an mv augusta - i hope he stays with foggy....
Old 19 Aug 2004, 12:04 (Ref:1071444)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
I'm sure Troy will stay with Foggy if he feels that they're making enough progress to challenge for wins - it depends on how many works bikes there are next year. If he does leave, I'd expect him to be a factory Ducati candidate, and certainly an option for well-funded teams like Renegade or Alstare.

Hopefully Ten Kate will give Malcolm a chance late in the year. If they get Hodna fundign I'd rather see them get a more experienced rider.

If only half these rumours come together the 2005 season looks extremely promising.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 06:30 (Ref:1072299)   #14
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
malcolm - did i miss something....
Old 20 Aug 2004, 13:24 (Ref:1072698)   #15
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As in Malcolm Muggeridge? LOL.

Troy and Chris should probably stay with Foggy, I'd be surprised if they don't take a win next year.

The return of Alstare would be great news - maybe they could tempt Hodgson back if they get some kind of factory backing or a pair of Fireblades.
Old 25 Aug 2004, 07:40 (Ref:1076750)   #16
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Quote:
Originally posted by N I Tram
As in Malcolm Muggeridge? LOL.
still got me miffed - i cant move on until i know why "our karl" is called malcolm
Old 25 Aug 2004, 12:04 (Ref:1076998)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/SSmuggeridge.htm

Bit of a silly one really, but I remember a commentator calling him that by mistake, and I thought it ought to stick.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 04:34 (Ref:1078789)   #18
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
cool, does karl know who malcolm is - was
Old 2 Sep 2004, 14:07 (Ref:1084827)   #19
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I reckon Karl is the man for the 2nd Ten Kate bike. He has been with the team for a few years now and is looking very good for this year SUpersport championship. I look foward to seeing him on the WSBK bike next year
Old 3 Sep 2004, 05:05 (Ref:1085554)   #20
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
unless ten kate want a #1 on there supersport bike - i reckon karl will get the 2nd superbike ride though...
Old 3 Sep 2004, 14:04 (Ref:1085952)   #21
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They might have a #1 on their lead WSBK bike....

I still suspect a more experienced rider might be a better option, but Karl has the talent to compete.
Old 4 Sep 2004, 00:32 (Ref:1086466)   #22
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
dont think they will need a more experienced rider if vermuelen is wearing #1 in 05 - if muggeridge didnt get the ride then it could be one of the british honda riders maybe

Last edited by gomick; 4 Sep 2004 at 00:33.
Old 4 Sep 2004, 06:37 (Ref:1086565)   #23
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't think they'd go for a British SBK Honda rider.

Rutter is probably too old, and Kyonari is a factory Honda rider, and HRC aren't that interested in World Superbikes at the moment (well, officially anyway)
Old 4 Sep 2004, 15:57 (Ref:1086781)   #24
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Rutter would be completely the wrong choice - you can't move up a level at his age and have any success. If HRC want to offer more support for the series, Kiyonari would be good, but Muggeridge would keep the team gelled, and he's probably not a bad rider.
Old 7 Sep 2004, 20:22 (Ref:1089375)   #25
SPman
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
West Australia
SPman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frankie Chili and Colin Edwards on Gresini Hondas?