Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Nov 2009, 12:39 (Ref:2585007)   #1
Andy Harrison
Rookie

Andy Harrison should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scotsman Di Resta to test in F1

I just saw this article
http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html...opic=8&catid=0

Di Resta's ambition is to become an F1 WDC lets hope he has more of an impact than Coulthard - it would be good to have another Scot on the grid
Interview with Di Resta
http://grid1.tv/#browse/media_vault/drivers?id=1_95
Old 19 Nov 2009, 12:42 (Ref:2585009)   #2
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Methinks not all is well in the Force India camp - added to this, they've shown an interest in Chandhok and Jani, and there is talk that DLR will sign as well

Maybe Sutil's about to make a move
Old 19 Nov 2009, 12:48 (Ref:2585016)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Desperation if PDLR is in the frame. Interesting scottish name there though. Which clan exactly?
Old 19 Nov 2009, 12:50 (Ref:2585019)   #4
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hope he makes it. My opinion of Paul is that he's a real class act with some good experience of professional level motorsport behind him. Could be a bargain for somebody.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 12:51 (Ref:2585020)   #5
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Clan Espresso of course. The same clan as the Franchittis.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 12:52 (Ref:2585021)   #6
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Clan Espresso of course. The same clan as the Franchittis.
Clan of coffee?
Old 19 Nov 2009, 13:00 (Ref:2585027)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh I can see the FI line-up being all change for whatever reason.

I wonder where Sutil would go? Renault? If they're still about of course.

Selby
Old 19 Nov 2009, 14:36 (Ref:2585112)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Hope he makes it. My opinion of Paul is that he's a real class act with some good experience of professional level motorsport behind him. Could be a bargain for somebody.
I agree. F1 is a big step, but I'd like to see what he can do.

Go on Mercedes, place him with FI.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 14:38 (Ref:2585115)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
May as well put him in a Mercedes.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 22:26 (Ref:2585387)   #10
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd be chuffed if di Resta is getting a test, though. I really rate him. This is a guy who beat Seb Vettel, who many rate as the second coming of Christ, whilst in the same team. This is the only driver to podium in a 2 year old car in the DTM. This is a guy who challenged for the DTM in only his 2nd year in the series. This is a guy who raised eyebrows at McLaren with in his award test and (correct me if I'm wrong) was invited back for further tests

How he got lost on the junior series ladder I'll never know - he tested in GP2 in 2006/07 but didn't get offered a drive iirc and thus went into touring cars - not ideal considering how Magnussen, Albers and Paffett struggled to adapt back to single seaters after going over there

If there's anyone out there who can return Scotland to the podium, it's him. I think it would be great if Mercedes planted him at Force India for a year or 2 (although as long as Sutil or Liuzzi don't get kicked out as a result) and then moved him into the works team. He could win races. I won't go any further than that but if you compare him with Vettel, who knows what he could do? I just hope the DTM hasn't harmed his style too much. And I hope he gets a chance
Old 19 Nov 2009, 22:39 (Ref:2585401)   #11
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I would have thought di Resta's best chance of getting an F1 drive would be with Manor, but it seems like Di Grassi has that seat covered.

Seriously, I think the DTM does drivers serious harm if they have any F1 aspirations. The same comment applies to Gary Paffett. When he was a regular test driver for McLaren he never impressed to the same level as de la Rosa.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 22:57 (Ref:2585418)   #12
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Desperation if PDLR is in the frame. Interesting scottish name there though. Which clan exactly?
Clan Franchitti.

I hope di Resta gets the race seat (though honestly, it's a coin toss between him and Jani in who I'd like to see the most) - I'd hate to see him waste more years in the DTM. And Strider, when it comes to DTM hurting a driver's abilities in F1, can I play the Jan Magnussen card?
Old 19 Nov 2009, 23:34 (Ref:2585437)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
And Strider, when it comes to DTM hurting a driver's abilities in F1, can I play the Jan Magnussen card?
Yes, of course you can. I was a great fan of Jan and still am. I think he had a raw deal from Stewart, but then his image never fitted. Even when he was wiping the floor with the likes of Dario Franchitti in British F3, Dario was always the favoured one.

Mind you, things haven't turned out too badly for him have they? I'd say that he and Gil de Ferran (<--- see my avatar) were two great losses to F1.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 23:39 (Ref:2585439)   #14
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Yes, of course you can. I was a great fan of Jan and still am. I think he had a raw deal from Stewart, but then his image never fitted. Even when he was wiping the floor with the likes of Dario Franchitti in British F3, Dario was always the favoured one.

Mind you, things haven't turned out too badly for him have they? I'd say that he and Gil de Ferran (<--- see my avatar) were two great losses to F1.
I always thinks Gil looks like an actor on that photo. Can't figure out who, though.

Well, Jan has gotten a good, paid career, and thank goodness for that. But when you look back at his Formula Three days he just seemed... Untouchable, really. I think if he'd been born say 20 years earlier, with his mentality, he'd have done much better in F1. Same goes for Jason Watt. And Raikkonen, believe it or not. All three strikes me as slightly more fit to the 70's and early 80's F1 than the corporate world we have now.
Old 21 Nov 2009, 13:49 (Ref:2586420)   #15
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
I always thinks Gil looks like an actor on that photo. Can't figure out who, though.

Well, Jan has gotten a good, paid career, and thank goodness for that. But when you look back at his Formula Three days he just seemed... Untouchable, really. I think if he'd been born say 20 years earlier, with his mentality, he'd have done much better in F1. Same goes for Jason Watt. And Raikkonen, believe it or not. All three strikes me as slightly more fit to the 70's and early 80's F1 than the corporate world we have now.
I don't really know Jason Watt well enough to comment, but you're certainly right where Jan and Kimi are concerned. You only have to read some of the posts on here to realise that some modern F1 fans are simply unable to understand Kimi. It's a shame, but inevitable.

As for Gil, I think he would have been a success in whatever he tried, including the stage or the movies.
Old 22 Nov 2009, 15:47 (Ref:2587218)   #16
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
ItaliaRacing reporting that Oliver Turvey will join him by testing for McLaren, presumably getting his award test
Old 22 Nov 2009, 19:28 (Ref:2587310)   #17
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Charles Pic in a Renault and Neel Jani (supposedly he's dual nationality Indian as well) in a Force India also testing at Jerez.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 09:58 (Ref:2588317)   #18
Andy Harrison
Rookie

Andy Harrison should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another update on the Di Resta F1 test

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80327

Good Luck Paul and hopefully we will see you in 2010!!!
Old 24 Nov 2009, 12:23 (Ref:2588380)   #19
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Aye, good news. A driver well worth taking a punt on.

I also quite rate Hilderbrand. Impressed me with the way we took to A1GP and Brands like a duck to water in May. Eclipsing anything Andretti had done all year.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 13:46 (Ref:2589680)   #20
Fujer
Rookie

Sweden
Fujer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80337

Ericsson to test with Brawn GP ( Mercedes GP ) at Jerez.
Old 30 Nov 2009, 13:57 (Ref:2591743)   #21
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Turvey confirmed at McLaren - finally getting his award test 3 years after winning it

I'd keep an eye on his times. He's pretty quick

Full line-up for the test

BMW Sauber
Esteban Gutiérrez (Mex) - 2008 Formula BMW Europe Champion
Alexander Rossi (USA) - 2008 BMW World Finals winner, 2009 IFM race winner

Brawn/Mercedes
Mike Conway (GB) - 2009 IndyCar contender
Marcus Ericsson (Swe) - 2009 Japanese F3 champion

Ferrari
Pablo Sanchez-Lopez (Mex) - 3rd in 2009 Italian Formula 3
Daniel Zampieri (Ita) - 2009 Italian Formula 3 champion
Marco Zipoli (Ita) - 2009 Italian Formula 3 runner-up
Jules Bianchi (Fra) - 2009 F3 Euroseries champion

Force India
Paul di Resta (GB) - 3rd in DTM in 2009
JR Hildebrand (USA) - 2009 Indy Lights champion

McLaren
Gary Paffett (GB) - 2009 DTM runner-up
Oliver Turvey (GB) - 2009 World Series by Renault race winner

Red Bull
Daniel Ricciardo (Aus) - 2009 British Formula 3 champion

Renault
Bertrand Baguette (Bel) - 2009 World Series by Renault champion
Lucas di Grassi (Brz) - 3rd in GP2 in 2009, official team reserve
Ho-Pin Tung (Chn) - Superleague Formula race winner in 2009

Toro Rosso
Brendon Hartley (NZ) - Formula 3 Euroseries race winner
Mirko Bortolotti (Ita) - Formula 2 race winner

Williams
Nico Hülkenberg (Ger) - 2009 GP2 champion and 2010 Williams driver
Andy Soucek (Esp) - 2009 Formula 2 champion
Old 30 Nov 2009, 18:49 (Ref:2591861)   #22
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
When you look at that list, the one who is really going to benefit is Nico Hülkenberg, because we know he's going to be racing next year, so it gives him a small head start.
Old 30 Nov 2009, 19:37 (Ref:2591883)   #23
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Di Grassi will probably be racing next year too, and a few of those are in the running to be reserve drivers
Old 30 Nov 2009, 22:02 (Ref:2591963)   #24
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strange that Red Bull only running one driver.. Would have thought with their young driver programme they may of have a few drivers running with so little overall testing possible.
Old 30 Nov 2009, 22:05 (Ref:2591964)   #25
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think they're taking Riccardo seriously for the future, although I'm surprised Hartley is running the Toro Rosso.