Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jul 2023, 09:08 (Ref:4167713)   #1
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Celebs on the grid.

What is the actual rational of teams/sponsors inviting so called celebs to and event as a guest and then allowing them to wander round the grid?
Indeed why do they get invited at all, do they in some way promote sponsor? If so then talking to the TV audience should be a must. Or are they there in some way to promote their career? If Alfa Romeo paid for Cara D something to be there, they did not get their money's worth as she seemed unwilling/unable to speak. ****ed, high or stupid?
Old 10 Jul 2023, 11:38 (Ref:4167724)   #2
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's quite a lot in this question, so please excuse me breaking it up a bit to respond to each point in turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
What is the actual rational of teams/sponsors inviting so called celebs to and event as a guest and then allowing them to wander round the grid?
On a bigger scale, this is a bit like asking 'what is the rationale of celebs being involved with any sport or brand'? And it must be remembered that F1 is both a sport and a brand, and the participants are both competitors and businesses. In many forms of sport, people will be invited to join the team and experience much of what goes on during the contest. In football, teams will invite guests who are both supporters of the team (sponsors) and celebrities who are involved with promotion of the team. These people will always want a bit more in return than the average fan who has bought a ticket to attend. Hospitality is a key part of many sports, and motorsport is one of the few where the guests can get onto the field of play.

Let's not forget that a lot of F1 is more showbusiness than sport (whether we like it or not) and has been for a long time. Monaco is the obvious example of this, but the same is true of many other races that have been on the calendar for years.

Quote:
Indeed why do they get invited at all, do they in some way promote sponsor? If so then talking to the TV audience should be a must.
There are many different reasons for a celebrity to be on the grid, as mentioned above. Some of these will have no connection to promoting a brand at all. This might be in return for some work that they have done to promote a brand previously, and so talking to a TV audience might be a long way down the list of requirements.
Or they could just be a friend of someone with connections to the grid - regardless of their celebrity status. Their reason for being on the grid may have nothing to do with their public profile, and be more about their private social circles.

Quote:
If Alfa Romeo paid for Cara D something to be there, they did not get their money's worth as she seemed unwilling/unable to speak.
The key part here is 'IF'. Why do we think Alfa Romeo paid for Cara Delevingne [it's not hard to find out her name] to be on the grid at all? Although she has responded that it was an F1 official who gave her the instruction to not speak, so maybe she did feel that she was unable (not permitted) to talk?

Quote:
****ed, high or stupid?
The auto-censor caught one word here, but I assume it was a slight of some form. Why reach those potential conclusions and not one of countless other reasons why she turned down the chance to talk? As mentioned before, she states that she was instructed to not speak, so perhaps (in her shoes) it was the smart thing to do?

The grid walk has moved on a long way from Steve Rider interrupting Mansell during his race prep in 1989, despite not having a clue what he was saying. Teams have a global reach that extends way beyond the sport of F1 alone, and engaging in the celebrity lifestyle is part of that.

If we want celebrities to keep off the F1 grid, then F1 needs to stay out of the celebrity world too. That won't happen as long as teams need the level of funding from sponsors that they have today. So rather than F1 fans trying to gatekeep the sport from other parts of society, why not embrace them?
Old 10 Jul 2023, 12:28 (Ref:4167728)   #3
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I don't care if celebs are on the grid or not. But as an F1 fan, the grid walk interviews are sometimes interesting if they interview a driver, mechanic or team principal etc. They are of no interest to me whatsoever when they interview some supermodel or actor or musician.

Same with when they interrupt footage of the race to zoom in on a football manager stood staring at a TV in one of the garages, or a pop star having a chat and a coffee.

Does this make me old and miserable?
Old 10 Jul 2023, 12:31 (Ref:4167729)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It would be nice to hear or see some die hard fans on the grid. Surely it wouldnt be too much to ask if at one GP a year half a dozen fans are allowed grid passes or something? I'd much rather Martin Brundle speak to them.
Old 10 Jul 2023, 12:33 (Ref:4167730)   #5
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
So rather than F1 fans trying to gatekeep the sport from other parts of society, why not embrace them?
This is an easy one to answer. The Supermodel (who I have no interest in at all) was on the grid presumably for her own reasons, but snubbed the F1 commentator.

So F1 fans are supposed to "embrace" her presence, but she shuns the F1 presenter?

As I said above, I would rather that Brundle et al simply ignore them, and try to talk to someone who may have something genuinely relevant to the race F1 instead.
Old 10 Jul 2023, 13:11 (Ref:4167737)   #6
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Although she has responded that it was an F1 official who gave her the instruction to not speak, so maybe she did feel that she was unable (not permitted) to talk?

I have read in her tweet that she claimed that she was instructed not to speak to the media, but, unless I have missed it anywhere else, I haven't seen any mention that the instruction actually came from a F1 official.

However, if that was the case that the instruction came from someone in authority within F1, I would be really surprised that Brundle hadn't been appraised of that fact prior to his grid walk (it's not as though they aren't aware that Brundle goes after so called "celebs" when time permits) and if he had been, that he ignored that fact. Secondly, her minders, including her PR representative, could quite easily have said so when he approached her rather than just saying she didn't want to talk.
Old 10 Jul 2023, 13:36 (Ref:4167742)   #7
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I have read in her tweet that she claimed that she was instructed not to speak to the media, but, unless I have missed it anywhere else, I haven't seen any mention that the instruction actually came from a F1 official.
It's in her twitter responses.

"I was told to say no so I did. Thank you for seeing both sides xxx"
"It wasn’t an agent, it was an F1 representative"

Just to add some context to this thread - much has been made in some circles of the 'Brundle clause'. It has been reported that this only relates to the permission to take security on the grid. It makes no reference to having to conduct an interview, so Brundle was in the wrong when he stated “The deal is, everyone needs to speak on the grid!”

"According to F1 insiders, http://Motorsport.com has learned that it will clamp down on grid access for bodyguards in the wake of the incident. Officials believe the grid is a secure enough environment to mean they are not required. While celebrities on the grid are not required to give interviews to the media, they will be asked to be courteous should they decline to speak."

In terms of 'fandom', Cara is a fan (or at least interested in motorsport):

https://twitter.com/i/status/1420012621982490624

And, at the end of the day, isn't a little bit sad that someone has to defend themselves after a polite refusal to answer a question? It's not like she arranged for someone to manhandle him from her presence, she just declined and then was pushed further.

"Anyway, I had so much fun today and was so happy to be there no matter what anyone else may think x"
Old 10 Jul 2023, 15:05 (Ref:4167751)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
...And, at the end of the day, isn't a little bit sad that someone has to defend themselves after a polite refusal to answer a question? It's not like she arranged for someone to manhandle him from her presence, she just declined and then was pushed further...
have to agree with this. you cant make people talk to you even if you are a 'celebrity' yourself, he is not a particularly good interviewer, and the most cringeworthy moments tend to come from him trying to interview women who are already no doubt being harassed by far too many other so called journos on the grid.

then there was that Man City(?) manager who was just taking photos with a (his) family when MB busted that up. let them enjoy that moment as a family!

anyway, im not a fan of the grid walks in general.

not saying they should get rid of them...rather i just need to do a better job at skipping the parts of the 'show' that isnt meant for punters like me!
Old 10 Jul 2023, 15:24 (Ref:4167759)   #9
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
't a little bit sad that someone has to defend themselves after a polite refusal to answer a question? It's not like she arranged for someone to manhandle him from her presence, she just declined and then was pushed further.
This sums it up.

I would love to be on an F1 grid. I would love to have Brundle interview me if I was luck enough to be walking the grid. But the expectation that he can just shove a microphone in anyone's face and be upset if they don't want to talk is just insane. If anyone is showing some inappropriate entitlement here, maybe it is Brundle or the broadcast team/grid walk producer.

Richard
Old 10 Jul 2023, 16:09 (Ref:4167778)   #10
Derwent
Racer

Surely they are there to promote their team/sponsor and therefor should be at least polite. Sam Ryder could give that lass some lessons.
Old 10 Jul 2023, 17:19 (Ref:4167788)   #11
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is the most "Daily Mail" or "TMZ" thread we have had in awhile. Cleary the next time she sets foot in the UK, she should be drawn and quartered alive to set an example for others. A polite "no" is no excuse when addressed by his Royal Highness The Martin of Brundle.

Richard
Old 10 Jul 2023, 18:53 (Ref:4167797)   #12
Derwent
Racer

Surely being polite where ever you are is just good manners?
Looking at social media on the subject it would seen that very few agree with you and that most folk think Cara is a nobody. Much praise though for Sam for his genuine joy at being there.
Old 10 Jul 2023, 18:56 (Ref:4167798)   #13
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Looking at social media on the subject it would seen that very few agree with you and that most folk think Cara is a nobody. Much praise though for Sam for his genuine joy at being there.
I think you would find your statement of most people would find you being laughed at. Oh and they aren't their for YOUR pleasure and didn't take your ticket so why !!!! does it matter why they are there, if they are there and who they talk to. But maybe I just have better things to do with my day
Old 10 Jul 2023, 19:52 (Ref:4167808)   #14
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Have you even watched the video of it. I agree regarding being polite. I like Brundle and his interviews, but he was the unpolite one in this situation.

Quote:
Looking at social media on the subject it would seen that very few agree with you and that most folk think Cara is a nobody.
God help us if we look to social media for guidance. And wow on the "nobody" argument. That is just beyond belief to bring up as any type of valid argument. It is nothing but dropping down to the level of name calling.

Quote:
Much praise though for Sam for his genuine joy at being there.
So Sam decided that as part of him enjoying the experience he talked to Brundle. Good for him. What does this have to do with someone who didn't want to talk to Brundle and politely tried to say "no"?

I get that part of the F1 community feels disrespected by her saying "no". Layer in the entire "celebrity on the grid" topic which has it's own issues. Imagine Lewis Hamilton being at an event that is unrelated to racing and a reporter was chasing him down for a comment and Lewis said "no". Would Lewis deserve the abuse for exercising his right to say "no"?

Everyone, celebrity or not has the right to say "no". We may feel that those in the public eye should expect the attention, but they don't "owe" anyone a comment. And my understanding is that while Brundle believes otherwise, there is no rule that if you are on the grid you MUST let him interview you. I think you might be fair game for him to ask, but to expect? Pure entitlement. If this type of drama seems to happen to Brundle on a regular basis, maybe it should be considered to be his issue (or again, the issue of the broadcasters and what they are asking Brundle to do) and not an issue with everyone else.

Richard
Old 10 Jul 2023, 20:16 (Ref:4167812)   #15
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
More of Cara's time with the team - including getting in the car and interacting with those around her.

https://twitter.com/US_CARA/status/1...81e0_kehA&s=19
Old 10 Jul 2023, 20:47 (Ref:4167819)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If I'm honest, I don't give a monkeys about the celebrities on the grid and I'd prefer a grid without them as they add precisely nothing to my enjoyment of the event, but we've had this for a fair few years now and I guess we just have to accept it. When they start interviewing an actor or a singer that I've probably never heard of, that's my cue for a visit to the smallest room..... However when they get an actor to sing the national anthem, at least pick one who can actually sing......
Old 10 Jul 2023, 21:04 (Ref:4167821)   #17
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Race was so good I forgot about that lol. I guess good for him for putting himself out there like that but man that anthem rendition!?!
Old 10 Jul 2023, 21:33 (Ref:4167823)   #18
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
If I'm honest, I don't give a monkeys about the celebrities on the grid and I'd prefer a grid without them as they add precisely nothing to my enjoyment of the event, but we've had this for a fair few years now and I guess we just have to accept it. When they start interviewing an actor or a singer that I've probably never heard of, that's my cue for a visit to the smallest room..... However when they get an actor to sing the national anthem, at least pick one who can actually sing......
I am in the same boat. I generally am annoyed when during broadcasts they cut to someone and it's clearly either a family member of a driver, or someone who is famous and I have to wonder what the value is. The only exception (and I can appreciate those who don't agree with me) is that I do sometimes like to see someone who is well known, BUT they might also be a big (not casual) motorsports or F1 fan. I like seeing someone who I might recognize in one way geeking out over F1 in the way that I like it as well. Someone like a Rowan Atkinson.

Richard
Old 10 Jul 2023, 21:47 (Ref:4167825)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I'm with you there.
Old 10 Jul 2023, 22:13 (Ref:4167826)   #20
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And I agree with you here and also your last previous post. I must admit that I have always puzzled over how race start procedures have changed since many years ago. Assuming my memories are correct from way back then, cars would drive onto the circuit from the assembly area or pits, and then circulate to the grid. Engines would be turned off for no more than 5 minutes during which your crew would make ensure everything was in order, and engines would be started when the one minute board was shown and crews had to clear the track. After the boards showing the time going down, the flag of the country was waived and the race was on - no green lap just racing.

When all of that changed, I can't remember. Why do we need hordes of people on the grid? What purpose does it serve? In fact, all it does is use up valuable time that could so easily be used to possibly have another race of some sort, which the lack of which others have commented on in the race thread. At least that would go some way to justify the high ticket prices.

Oh, and this doesn't just apply to Grand Prix's; the same nonsense takes place at the UK's BTCC saloon races and in some ways that it worse because at those meetings they have three races during the afternoon, so possibly up to an hour in total is wasted by allowing spectators and others to go on a grid "walk" before each race.

Rant over, and now breathe!
Old 10 Jul 2023, 22:36 (Ref:4167827)   #21
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
When all of that changed, I can't remember. Why do we need hordes of people on the grid? What purpose does it serve
Only thing I can think of many are related in some manner to those writing the big checks to make racing go and it's time for the business nerds to get to meet the beautiful people and in their mind maybe make it worth it. But yes it gets old at races with the crowds taking all that time something could be going on.

And as we often joke, pretty soon they'll make the first call to clear the grid for Petit. It seems they open the gates and then shortly after start kicking people out
Old 11 Jul 2023, 12:50 (Ref:4167895)   #22
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Just think how F! could improve its image, if instead of giving free access to celebs they sold those tickets for charity or better still made those celebs pay for them and then give the money to charity. Plus if the teams doing the coverage just ignored them i doubt many of those people would be there anyway.
Old 11 Jul 2023, 15:52 (Ref:4167935)   #23
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
did i see an advert for the next race that made it look like F1/SKY was going to take a page from the NFL and have a group of kids do a simulcast/alternative race coverage?

not a bad idea...actually got my niece to watch some NFL games provided it was the Nickelodeon (a network for children programming) coverage aimed at the younger demographic.

not only do i think this is a great idea (for getting kids more interested in the sport), but i also think it serves as a great counterpoint to this current grid walk/old man brundle v celebs car crash.

sooner or later, they are going to need to find a new side line reporter who is younger, far less confrontational, and more recognizable to the celebs du jour whom the stakeholders clearly feel are critical to their pre race broadcast and promotion.
Old 11 Jul 2023, 16:26 (Ref:4167943)   #24
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Yeah, usually the sideline/field reporters for US sports are younger and often replaced folks over the color commentary guy. Plus the reporter can go for the contacts and prep for grid walk alone and not race and chat prep. But that costs TV another reporter
Old 11 Jul 2023, 16:31 (Ref:4167948)   #25
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
SKY F1 have more than enough staff to make a reshuffle work without having to fire or hire anyone new. Button and/or Schiff would make for a welcomed change imo.

no disrespect to MB, he did amazing with it for ages but last few years not so much imo.