Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jul 2023, 12:04 (Ref:4168066)   #26
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Surely the so called celebs that few of us have heard of, are there to promote either themselves or the sponsor who has invited them? Do they actually come for a free lunch or are they paid.
Old 12 Jul 2023, 12:35 (Ref:4168069)   #27
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
Surely the so called celebs that few of us have heard of, are there to promote either themselves or the sponsor who has invited them? Do they actually come for a free lunch or are they paid.
We're in danger of this thread going round in circles (and not in an F1 race kind of way).

As stated previously:

There are many different reasons for a celebrity to be on the grid. Some of these will have no connection to promoting a brand at all. This might be in return for some work that they have done to promote a brand previously or because they have an existing connection to a team or competitor.

Or they could just be a friend of someone with connections to the grid - regardless of their celebrity status. Their reason for being on the grid may have nothing to do with their public profile and be more about their private social circles.

Just because they are a celebrity, doesn't mean they are also a normal person with other facets of their life.

For instance - is Shakira currently attending F1 races because she is a celebrity and has something to promote, or is she the guest of a driver?

To look at it from another direction - when Charles Leclerc and Pierre Gasly were spotted at Wimbledon this week, is there an expectation that they are famous Formula 1 drivers and should be obliged to give interviews to the press - or can we accept that they have an interest in Tennis, or were invited by someone?
Old 12 Jul 2023, 12:51 (Ref:4168075)   #28
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
We're in danger of this thread going round in circles (and not in an F1 race kind of way).

As stated previously:

There are many different reasons for a celebrity to be on the grid. Some of these will have no connection to promoting a brand at all. This might be in return for some work that they have done to promote a brand previously or because they have an existing connection to a team or competitor.

Or they could just be a friend of someone with connections to the grid - regardless of their celebrity status. Their reason for being on the grid may have nothing to do with their public profile and be more about their private social circles.

Just because they are a celebrity, doesn't mean they are also a normal person with other facets of their life.

For instance - is Shakira currently attending F1 races because she is a celebrity and has something to promote, or is she the guest of a driver?

To look at it from another direction - when Charles Leclerc and Pierre Gasly were spotted at Wimbledon this week, is there an expectation that they are famous Formula 1 drivers and should be obliged to give interviews to the press - or can we accept that they have an interest in Tennis, or were invited by someone?
They're obliged to give interviews and pop champagne during a serve as well. and tell us what tennis player they're delivering a new Ferrari to

Last edited by Adam43; 13 Jul 2023 at 02:04. Reason: fixed a mislaid [
Old 15 Jul 2023, 13:02 (Ref:4168500)   #29
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have been lucky enough to stand in the grid at the Supercar Bathurst 1000 right before the race on a number of occasions.

As a fan.. you just cannot believe the atmosphere, the noise, the eyeballs looking at you.. cameras everywhere.. team people kinda non plussed but they know it’s a big deal.. promo people and flags and marketers and senior company execs and customers and anyone else lucky enough to be there.

That said, I have stood amongst football stars, former Aussie cricket captains, legends of Motorsport, senior local state & federal politicians.. anyone who may have fame, or perhaps infamy.. all have been up for a chat with lowly punters let along the host broadcasters...

It’s a weird feeling, on the grid.. just before they light the touch paper to maybe 7 hours of racing the hell out of each other..

Quite unlike anywhere else you could possibly be that day.

The purist in me says it should be teams only..
yet the personal impact of being there, as a forever fan, is immense.. and I don’t want to not be able to go..

It’s too good an experience to lose.. and equally.. is probably not appreciated by all who get to go.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 15 Jul 2023, 14:40 (Ref:4168505)   #30
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
40/40, advantage Leclerc because I'd rather be given any Ferrari than an actual Alpine. Matter of taste I suppose.

OT: Sorry, but what is the relashionship between Shakira (singer, yes?) and F1?
Old 15 Jul 2023, 15:42 (Ref:4168506)   #31
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
40/40, advantage Leclerc because I'd rather be given any Ferrari than an actual Alpine. Matter of taste I suppose.

OT: Sorry, but what is the relashionship between Shakira (singer, yes?) and F1?
https://www.gazzetta.it/Formula-1/11-06-2023/f1-hamilton-e-shakira-sempre-piu-vicini-cena-insieme-a-barcellona.shtml
Old 15 Jul 2023, 16:34 (Ref:4168511)   #32
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I don't care if celebs are on the grid or not. But as an F1 fan, the grid walk interviews are sometimes interesting if they interview a driver, mechanic or team principal etc. They are of no interest to me whatsoever when they interview some supermodel or actor or musician.

Same with when they interrupt footage of the race to zoom in on a football manager stood staring at a TV in one of the garages, or a pop star having a chat and a coffee.

Does this make me old and miserable?
No, it makes you a F1 fan, like me. I got fed up with Martin Bumble brown-nosing the slebs long ago, but now I watch on C4 I can avoid that annoyance. DC and Mark Webber are starting to do the same though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
If I'm honest, I don't give a monkeys about the celebrities on the grid and I'd prefer a grid without them as they add precisely nothing to my enjoyment of the event, but we've had this for a fair few years now and I guess we just have to accept it. When they start interviewing an actor or a singer that I've probably never heard of, that's my cue for a visit to the smallest room.
Good plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Just think how F! could improve its image, if instead of giving free access to celebs they sold those tickets for charity or better still made those celebs pay for them and then give the money to charity.
Even better idea!
Old 15 Jul 2023, 16:46 (Ref:4168513)   #33
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks Malcolm. This Lewis, sa come far urlare e cantare le donne. E anche le capre mesay. I remember the grid girls thing was said to be sexist or whatever. OK. But, why don't they invite grid boys and bring back grid girls in the name of parity? Editing myself after a look at some countries visited by the gran circus…
Old 15 Jul 2023, 16:52 (Ref:4168515)   #34
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
When they start interviewing an actor or a singer that I've probably never heard of, that's my cue for a visit to the smallest room.....
Just hope you find other occasions to go to between two GP's Andrew. "Stay" safe, mate.
Old 16 Jul 2023, 10:21 (Ref:4168595)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Plenty - there have to be now at my age.....
Old 19 Jul 2023, 14:58 (Ref:4169078)   #36
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do admit to not watching much f1 these days, preferring sports cars, but the bane of my life there is the woeful coverage the WEC guys do endless shots of people looking at screens doing nothing, qualifying is terrible the director clearly thinks he is making Deadliest Catch or something,

I get it, I see why, but cutting to a bloke staring at a screen while there is stuff going on on track even in a 6 hour race is infuriating, it simply says to me like in the older f1 Erja, Massa's brother days, some of these people are not really f1 people, they are just tv directors. You need to be both for me

I think has got a lot better with this now, but is also almost scripted,m Horner in the pit, Lets find Jos, etc etc, they react once and that seems to mean a camera has to be in that pit for 15 years every race. Seems a waste of resource to me.

But what do I know half a million people seem happy with watching that than the track action!
Old 19 Jul 2023, 18:50 (Ref:4169109)   #37
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
However when they get an actor to sing the national anthem, at least pick one who can actually sing......
The ritual slaughter of the national anthem. Americans started it, Aussies seem to have followed suit and now it's affecting ours. Odd. The advantage of ours is that it's over quickly and is fairly easy to sing. They seem to be searching for people who can fail on both counts.

Pretty confident we could get a small choir from the marshals that would smash both of the last two attempts.
Old 19 Jul 2023, 20:29 (Ref:4169115)   #38
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post

Pretty confident we could get a small choir from the marshals that would smash both of the last two attempts.
I have absolutely no doubt of that - and what a great idea!